Yet another modification of the 9398, a 4x4 crawler that I just got as a birthday present just a week or two ago (as of 03/10/2014).

So mod after mod it ended up becoming a somewhat MOC.

This has been widened by 2 studs, has hightened ground clearance and has been given a new body.

Compared to the original 9398 it has a much lower COG and better clearance, and climbs better too!

Differentials are fitted with rubber, to act as much as a limited slip diff.

VIDEO:

64Z5AwZ.jpg?1

HPLRlUo.jpg?1

xhUj8ZT.jpg?1

aITje9j.jpg?2fQdMTLi.jpg?2

Old stuff

Meanwhile....

The Third party tires have arrived! You can get the set I got from here: http://www.ebay.com/...d=310736628419

For other 3rd party tires you should take a look at this thread: http://www.eurobrick...opic=70865&st=0

KzBrNZI.jpg?1

n63FoSN.jpg?1

vE189F5.jpg?1

ltZum33.jpg?1

EDIT(21/10/2014): Ended up rebuilding the entire body and this happened:

V9DyQFP.jpg?1

rKaGFea.jpg?1

More old stuff

While I think that the stock crawler is already pretty good to play with, why not improve it? It's Lego!

The goal here is to simply make the crawler better. :D

The first thing I did was to try to lighten up the entire body and to shift the center of gravity as low as possible.

I removed certain parts of the truck and replaced them with lighter ones, which of course, made a impact on the look of the vehicle.

I'm also trying to keep it as strong as possible so that in case of a huge crash, it can more or less survive.

FRONT

FWTb0OG.jpg?1

3Z7XIOg.jpg?1

I removed the entire front grill and replaced it with this one, with the lights the were originally on the roof placed here instead.

I changed the fenders slightly to make it look better (of course XD). While it doesn't seem like it, it does give more clearance to the wheel, which I plan to replace with third party tires that might strike the fender.

You may realise that the portion where the wheels are have become a huge mess. It's just a attempt to make the lower front slightly heavier..... probably doesn't work XD.

REAR

RZ60eoC.jpg?1

The entire rear has been changed to a roll cage style design and it is pretty strong.

Other stuff

4OX6S0O.jpg?1

Hood can now be opened, mirrors replaced such that it's fixed (originally they could rotate around which is silly :P)

U6BmKfw.jpg?1

h0Hqq5O.jpg

Ze1s4Ur.jpg?1

nCU1HGi.jpg?1

Suspension remounted sideways, allowing more of a twist. No longer require part 4629921 to keep wheels straightened.

THINGS I DID

- Lightened front and rear

- weight slightly shifted to the front

- changed a part in the steering to remove squeaking noises when steering, reducing the friction by alot.

(replaced part 4140801 with part 4514554)

- openable hood

- rear cage(?)

- tried to change abit of the colours

- remounted suspension sideways, which heightened the truck slightly, giving more clearance but a higher centre of gravity.... this also made the wheels able to twist easier and twist more

- filled the axles that connect the small gears with foam which makes the differential act like a limited slip differential.

PLANS

- Change stock lego tires to better third party ones

- replace L motors with XL motors

- If I manage to buy more parts, will make a locking differential which is remotely controlled

- make it even lighter

- colour changes

I'll gladly take any suggestions :D

Edited by Auranapse

Changed the position of the suspension and Diff

Ze1s4Ur.jpg?1

Before and after

h0Hqq5O.jpg

It's now able to twist more :D but because of this the car is slightly heightened, higher cog but more clearance.

No longer requires this

I also filled the axles that connect the small gears with foam that make the differential act like a limited slip differential.

4629921.jpg

Edited by Auranapse

Hi,

Welcome to EB! :sweet:

Your images are way too big. Please read the site guidelines and correct your images to 800px wide (or max 1024 px).

Hi,

Welcome to EB! :sweet:

Your images are way too big. Please read the site guidelines and correct your images to 800px wide (or max 1024 px).

Really sorry about that, I've just resized them, is it alright now? :3

But twisting is an undersirable effect as it would cause the axle to turn

If you mean steering when it's manually bent, it's a trade off to keep all 4 wheels on the ground :P

Though I find that it isn't a big of an issue.

In other news, I've finally received the 3rd party tires.

G8v9tXT.jpg?1

Finally made a video :P

Though didn't get to test it outside.

Edited by Auranapse

Performs great, those tires sure do stick to the surface, I have the 106 mm ones. I'm guessing yours are 96mm - have youtried to mount them in the groove on both sides of the wheel? How much does it deform?

Performs great, those tires sure do stick to the surface, I have the 106 mm ones. I'm guessing yours are 96mm - have youtried to mount them in the groove on both sides of the wheel? How much does it deform?

Actually, I didn't really try it until now. It actually looks alright! Not sure if placebo but it feels softer now, and when you press it you can hear the air coming out.

http://imgur.com/U7Duife

Thx, for the photo, the tyre looks better the ay you mounted it first. I mounted mine 106mm in a way that they are not in either of the grooves but are touching the inner side of the grooves, so they're kinda in the middle of the wheel, it works well too.

3.JPG

Left is in the grooves and right one is as described:

4.JPG

Yeah, and the air hisses in and out when squeezed, but the grip on the wheel is fantastic opposite to original lego tires.

Edited by MajklSpajkl