Sign in to follow this  
LucasLaughing

[SoNE Freebuild 2] War Stories

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Note: this is the final entry of a 3-part story.

Part 1 - Pulling Rank

Part 2 - Into the Wild

14275740440_71e0e3ace5_c.jpg

Gathering around a fire to tell stories may be as old as soldiering itself.

14275738090_c7536c7893_c.jpg

We all want to believe our own stories, but sometimes we get too caught up in our narrative...

14462342755_8f6de1a8eb_c.jpg

...and we fail to notice that the audience is leaving ...

14458992391_1e83e34421_c.jpg

...one or two at a time ...

14275896397_d5334afd8e_c.jpg

...until we find ourselves alone in the dark.

14275749368_eb4f522e11_c.jpg

It's dangerous to be alone, in the dark, on a hostile world.

Please understand that this isn't my story. I heard it from someone, who heard it from someone, who heard it from someone.

When these events allegedly took place I was with my entire squad, being debriefed by an ISB officer. This can be verified. If one cared to look into it, one would find that everyone on base had an airtight alibi for that night.

14439237456_aa40410618_c.jpg

This is not my story. I can only pass on what I've heard: how the Lieutenant came staggering into the base, pale, bleeding from a very shallow cut that crossed his entire throat.

I don't know what words were whispered to him in the dark. I don't know if those words made a difference. Our shuttle left Endor that night.

---

Behind the scenes:

I finally got my hands on some transparent baseplates after finding a mosaic set at a rummage sale. A campfire scene was the first thing I thought of, and I'm very happy with how the effect turned out!

14275894057_5995e79d30_c.jpg

14461219984_e3f7236f8c_c.jpg

Your story has kept me enthralled all day! Thank you for posting these, they have been great!

Although the creation is nothing special, the photography and representation is top-notch! Also building the whole thing only in black is a good idea since there will be mostly silhuetes seen in the pictures and allows you to get the general look idea even when the lights are on. But you need a decent camera to be able to shoot such clear photos in a scene with so little lighting. I doubt I'd be able to achieve that with mine. I have a very similar idea in my head, but you'll all have to wait for my next, well let's say freebuild ...

Your story has kept me enthralled all day! Thank you for posting these, they have been great!

Thanks! I really appreciated your comments - it kept me motivated to finish my marathon posting session. :classic:

Although the creation is nothing special, the photography and representation is top-notch! Also building the whole thing only in black is a good idea since there will be mostly silhuetes seen in the pictures and allows you to get the general look idea even when the lights are on. But you need a decent camera to be able to shoot such clear photos in a scene with so little lighting. I doubt I'd be able to achieve that with mine. I have a very similar idea in my head, but you'll all have to wait for my next, well let's say freebuild ...

Thanks! I've found the trick to getting good photos in light like this is to use a tripod ... I have a little $15 mini-tripod I use for stuff like this, and it really helps.

This is brilliant! Also, great technique for the fire!

Thank you!

Wow, this is definetly a high-class story! There isn't happening much, but boy, what a mysterious and gripping story you've created there! I really like the subtle way this situation evolves from a rather cosy and normal scene to a true horror, both in words as in bricks. The self-aware lieutentant getting cought up in his story, his listeners uneasily watching each other and just leaving, the few that persist but can't endure any longer, even his o so famous guards give up. It's a wonderful way to show how this character looses all respect and friendship around him, staying alone with just himself. And it turns out, he isn't worth a lot all by himself... So his arrogance becomes his end. Truely a beautiful and inspiring way to deal with this story. I'm still impressed... This shows your true mastery of telling stories.

At the same time, the rather mysterious story makes it not very accessible. You don't give people answers, and only hint at something in the end, but that's very vague. Not sure if you want to show us who it did, but if you wanted to, I think there could have been a better way, becasue i still haven't a very clear idea. If you didn't want to show us, marvelous idea as well. It reminds me at the very surprising and touching ending of the story during episode II you wrote. It really adds the the character of your trooper, having no reason to explain something, because he doesn't have an audience. That kind of makes you forget someone else is telling the story, and drags you into it, experiencing the same doubts and challenges of the character.

Well, that was a whole letter on story telling. But we're here on a Lego forum! so let me congratulate you with that fireplace to end this. The flames and rods work very well together, especially with the lighting. Very campfire like, and it contradicts the atmosphere the story is creating, offering a nice counterweight to the grave situation. For a moment I thought those minifigs were fleshies though, with that lighting, and I was about to complain about consistency in your builds. Lukcily, I had a closer look. And now, all I can say is that this is a marvelous feat, although not such an elaborate build, but a very, very good piece of story telling. Hat off to you, sir!

[...]

At the same time, the rather mysterious story makes it not very accessible. You don't give people answers, and only hint at something in the end, but that's very vague. Not sure if you want to show us who it did, but if you wanted to, I think there could have been a better way, becasue i still haven't a very clear idea.

I think you have a very good point; although I wanted to leave the identity of the assailant a mystery (I figure commandos can get away with a lot, but probably not with assaulting a superior officer) I think some more details would have helped to draw the audience in. I'll keep that in mind for my next build...

Lukcily, I had a closer look. And now, all I can say is that this is a marvelous feat, although not such an elaborate build, but a very, very good piece of story telling. Hat off to you, sir!

Thanks! As always, I appreciate your comments and thoughtful feedback :classic:

:wub:

Looks stunning!

Nice story and the pictures with this great lightning are amazing!

Cool idea :thumbup:

markus