Jump to content


ToR III Official Entry I — Metamorphosis


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic  – Started by Frank Brick Wright , Jan 02 2013 11:11 PM

#1 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure


    Posts: 363
    Joined: 28-August 11
    Member: 20080
    Country: Portugal

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:11 PM


You can check the small prologue, called Sabre Island, here.

I know my entry is a bit different both in stile and in theme from the others excellent ones we have seen in this forum. Nevertheless, I hope it will be appreciated by the community.


This round theme was: Islanders. In order to justify my entry, I would like to add that an islander is, by definition, a native or inhabitant of an island. This is because I had this idea that using "traditional" islanders in an entry about islanders was a bit too mainstream :pir_laugh2:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Criticism/comments are very welcome as always. Go bluecoats!

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)


MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf


#2 Grimmbeard

Grimmbeard
  • Oh me, oh my! Love that Redcoat Pie!


    Posts: 767
    Joined: 29-August 12
    Member: 30768
    Country: USA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Great comic! Hipster bluecoats FTW!
--Grimmbeard
You've fallen for one of the classic Blunders! the most famous of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this, Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!!!

Flickr | YouTube

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

#3 moschino

moschino
  • Blue fashion victim.


    Posts: 107
    Joined: 29-September 12
    Member: 32406

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 02 January 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

I know my entry is a bit different both in stile and in theme from the others excellent ones we have seen in this forum. Nevertheless, I hope it will be appreciated by the community.


This round theme was: Islanders. In order to justify my entry, I would like to add that an islander is, by definition, a native or inhabitant of an island. This is because I had this idea that using "traditional" islanders in an entry about islanders was a bit too mainstream :pir_laugh2:

This aspect has been discussed before and I think the rules were that we must use some elements from official Islanders theme made in 1994.
I saw another entry from Redcoats where were used some natives from POTC.
If the rules are so easy to avoid, we should all know as we may find easier to not open Islanders boxes as long as we don't must do it.

If your entry is accepted, this is good to know for the next entries. :sweet:

Your entry is good (even without Islanders), and I laughed to see how primitive Redcoats are. :laugh:

#4 Cara

Cara
  • Green Captain of the Flying Piranha


    Posts: 766
    Joined: 28-August 10
    Member: 12904
    Country: USA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

View Postmoschino, on 02 January 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

This aspect has been discussed before and I think the rules were that we must use some elements from official Islanders theme made in 1994.

If thats the case then show the redcoats now dressed as ragged isalnders in the first picture.

Very amusing =)
Guilds of Historica: Proud Mitgardian.  Astrun Egilsdóttir, Journeyman Bard
Tournament of Retribution III: Bluecoat, Deck Scrubber - Redcoats, Fear my Brush!



Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image




My Flickr Album
Obsessively forcing square bricks into round shapes.


#5 Brickington

Brickington
  • It's Tuesday somewhere, right?


    Posts: 2255
    Joined: 29-April 12
    Member: 28288
    Country: USA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Good Comic (if it is accepted :hmpf_bad: ).

Posted Image

~Lord Brickington of Avalonia~

My Flickr | Guilds of Historica | Sir Brickington | My Brickshelf


#6 MstrOfPppts

MstrOfPppts
  • Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne — what's the difference?


    Posts: 1106
    Joined: 18-December 10
    Member: 14752
    Country: Slovenia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

I'm not too fond of the first picture. It is different then most comics, though looks a bit unfinished. You could have used plain grayscale and darken it a bit. It's not too clear wether you wanted to make a nightshot or just a different first picture. The effects look a bit too pixelated. (Just my first thoughts).
The comic is smooth and also a bit chaotic, but not hard to follow. Maybe black background would make it look a bit more organized. Else I'd resize and rearrange the gray boxes with supporting text, to not look just like they're thrown in.

Clearly a different approach, maybe I'm just a bit too classical. The story is great and well written, photography is nice and clear only the smart bluecoat is clearly made up :tongue:

Posted Image


#7 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!


    Posts: 3029
    Joined: 03-December 08
    Member: 4578
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I had to think about this entry for quite some time, and I guess your entry should be accepted.
Of course we meant islanders from the classic islanders theme, but the rules didn't state this very clearly.

I hope members won't fill every gap in the rules this way (I thought it would be funny to see classic islanders and pirates in the entries, and I hope we will), but in this case your entry will be allowed.

Anyway, it's a very nice entry. I like the parts were the "flagship" is being shown and where the hat blows away :laugh:
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages


#8 moschino

moschino
  • Blue fashion victim.


    Posts: 107
    Joined: 29-September 12
    Member: 32406

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 03 January 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

I hope members won't fill every gap in the rules this way (I thought it would be funny to see classic islanders and pirates in the entries, and I hope we will), but in this case your entry will be allowed.

Well, I'm glad this is accepted because in fact the point is to have as many entries as possible, but on the other side, this is pretty unfair for some other participants where they bothered to print Islander torsos and not only.
If you remember this entry, effulner had to do changes in order to be accepted and it wasn't easy for him.

#9 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!


    Posts: 3029
    Joined: 03-December 08
    Member: 4578
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

It wasn't easy? He changed it rather quickly:

View Postefullner, on 28 December 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

I finished updating the pictures. Whadaya know? It didn't take me so long after all.
In his case, I wouldn't even have made a big point of it if he had only added the name islanders in his comic, but I preferred an islander minifigure (which would also increase the quality of his comic) and he could change it quite easily.

The main purpose of this tournament is to have fun, and I hope we won't get too much talking about rules. I hope to see many islanders as I think this will be funny and it could add a nice new element to the Tournament. But if it's really hard for you to make an islander minifigure, then a solution like this is also possible.
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages


#10 Purpearljellyblob

Purpearljellyblob
  • Croaking/singing Redcoat Frog, aka Julia


    Posts: 948
    Joined: 21-November 12
    Member: 33180
    Country: Australia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Nice comic! Loved your story. Great work! :classic:

Posted Image

Heroica RPG: Purpearl Berthadhiell 180 yrs old elf mage

Mafia: - Brian Johnson - The PGO - Prudence Jellison - Laurence Adams - Priscilla Jenkins

I Heroica Stats I


#11 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure


    Posts: 363
    Joined: 28-August 11
    Member: 20080
    Country: Portugal

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 03 January 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

It wasn't easy? He changed it rather quickly:
In his case, I wouldn't even have made a big point of it if he had only added the name islanders in his comic, but I preferred an islander minifigure (which would also increase the quality of his comic) and he could change it quite easily.

The main purpose of this tournament is to have fun, and I hope we won't get too much talking about rules. I hope to see many islanders as I think this will be funny and it could add a nice new element to the Tournament. But if it's really hard for you to make an islander minifigure, then a solution like this is also possible.

My apologies to the staff for creating such problems. My intention was not to take advantage of gaps in the rules. The truth here is that I do not have any islander nor any minifig which could be adapted, moreover my Lego budget at the moment is 0. Then I had this idea that since redcoats are so primitive/dumb they could easily be taken as islanders/turn into islanders. Since it fitted in the rules I saw no problem, but it clearly generated a lot of discussion.

View Postmoschino, on 03 January 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Well, I'm glad this is accepted because in fact the point is to have as many entries as possible, but on the other side, this is pretty unfair for some other participants where they bothered to print Islander torsos and not only.
If you remember this entry, effulner had to do changes in order to be accepted and it wasn't easy for him.

Unfair? I don't think so -- even if I am not imparcial in this case. I must say I hadn't quite understood what efulner's entry had to do with islanders when I finished reading it, whilst my entry has a clear point: redcoats turn into islanders. You can say that there aren't any islander figs and that is true; but the main theme of the sotry is nevertheless their turning into islanders.

View PostMstrOfPppts, on 03 January 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

I'm not too fond of the first picture. It is different then most comics, though looks a bit unfinished. You could have used plain grayscale and darken it a bit. It's not too clear wether you wanted to make a nightshot or just a different first picture. The effects look a bit too pixelated. (Just my first thoughts).
The comic is smooth and also a bit chaotic, but not hard to follow. Maybe black background would make it look a bit more organized. Else I'd resize and rearrange the gray boxes with supporting text, to not look just like they're thrown in.

Clearly a different approach, maybe I'm just a bit too classical. The story is great and well written, photography is nice and clear only the smart bluecoat is clearly made up :tongue:

I have to agree with your first critic, the first photo was a night-shoot and moreover its on black-and-white, thus the created effect is odd.

Your other remarks, however, seem all off to me. Chaotic? Lack of organization? Boxes thrown in? But that was more or less my idea when I made it! I'm glad I succeeded. :laugh: I don't know whether or not you are a great fan of bd -- I am. This is not a classic comic. On of my great inspirations was The Sandman by Neil Gaiman (a true masterpiece). My idea here, for the story, was a bunch of redcoats which ask red-hat/bandana for a story, their story. While he tells his story, images pop in, like memories, whilst the narrator voice keeps sounding in the back. :classic: Thus the "thrown in" boxes! The panels are misaligned for some reason, also, it is part of the aesthetic principles I was following, indeed not classic ones :tongue:

Again, this tournament is all for fun, so let's have it! Let's not ruin it for details or exhaustive discussion of the rules.

Edited by Frank Brick Wright, 03 January 2013 - 02:35 PM.

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)


MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf


#12 Antonio

Antonio
  • "Ducks" on the menu.


    Posts: 194
    Joined: 18-June 10
    Member: 11525
    Country: Bulgaria

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Nice entry!The begining is a bit of confusing,but its alright when you continue to read the comic,you understand it.And why redcoat "turn" into islanders?I think they are islanders since their begining :tongue:.A true bluecoat will sacrifice himself ,even if that means to turn red, for the his nation (bluecoats) :thumbup:

A proud Bluecoat and Mitgardian


#13 moschino

moschino
  • Blue fashion victim.


    Posts: 107
    Joined: 29-September 12
    Member: 32406

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 03 January 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

My apologies to the staff for creating such problems. My intention was not to take advantage of gaps in the rules.

As I mentioned, I like you entry and I have no right be against it as long as I'm not a part of the staff, but I just thought (and still think) that comments are allowed no matter what they say as long as they are not offensive language.

I have nothing against you, or against any participant and I read all comics with much enthusiasm no matter the color "red" or "blue".

The thing that caught my attention was that after I have read the "rules" thread all over the time and I saw lots of discussions regarding them, lately I noticed much more tolerance when the first round is getting closed.

If we read the "rules" thread, many participants asked for allowed minifigs for passing as islanders and some of them were rejected.

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 09 December 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

Yeah you can use the two on the left. The other two are too recognizable as being non-islanders.
However some kind of islander attribute could add to the islander look if you have any.

Let's just consider that it was my fault for not seeing that here are some minifigs very recognizable as being islanders.
My apologies.

Edited by moschino, 03 January 2013 - 03:19 PM.


#14 Sir E Fullner

Sir E Fullner
  • The Admiral's croissants smell delicious!


    Posts: 561
    Joined: 04-September 09
    Member: 7307
    Country: United States

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Somehow I am thinking of Franz Kafka while looking at this. Maybe this will explain it:
http://en.wikipedia....rphosis_(novel)

I always knew that bluecoats should keep to blue and redcoats to the greatest color of all. You look a bit like an old lobster wrapped in map paper. Plus, you're not fooling anyone with your Redcoat accent. I mean, I could do a perfect bluecoat accent without slicing a vocal chord. However, you cannot even keep your thoughts in your mind. Hmm...

My MOCPage Ett. FullnerMy Brickshelf

Eat yer spinach, kiddies! However, don't forget the fish.
Posted Image


#15 MstrOfPppts

MstrOfPppts
  • Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne — what's the difference?


    Posts: 1106
    Joined: 18-December 10
    Member: 14752
    Country: Slovenia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 03 January 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

Your other remarks, however, seem all off to me. Chaotic? Lack of organization? Boxes thrown in? But that was more or less my idea when I made it! I'm glad I succeeded. :laugh: I don't know whether or not you are a great fan of bd -- I am. This is not a classic comic. On of my great inspirations was The Sandman by Neil Gaiman (a true masterpiece). My idea here, for the story, was a bunch of redcoats which ask red-hat/bandana for a story, their story. While he tells his story, images pop in, like memories, whilst the narrator voice keeps sounding in the back. :classic: Thus the "thrown in" boxes! The panels are misaligned for some reason, also, it is part of the aesthetic principles I was following, indeed not classic ones :tongue:

Ok, I see that even feeling quite young I'm getting old very fast. As said I'm too classical since I only read our Slovenian classic comics, which were all squares and nice ordering unless something extremely chaotic happened ... I haven't read any American superheroes comics let alone any modern comics from anywhere. It's just what I understand as a comic and first thing that comes to my mind ... Anyway I didn't want to say yours was bad, just different. Now that you've explained it a bit I understand that gray boxed text is actually what Red Hat is saying and that's why it's different from the first square which is the real supporting text. At first it looked unfinished since textboxes were different but makes more sense now. Still I think maybe a gray background (or a tiny border around everything) would help the overall layout a bit since the default forum background is white, and it's hard to tell where the comic ends. I like to imagine it how it would look printed on a paper.

Maybe I'll try improvising with my comics a bit too :grin:

Posted Image


#16 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1482
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Again the bluecoats show their skills with another brilliant plan :classic: .
It's a different style than other entries but I enjoyed it a lot, quite some text I must say though, nicely done :thumbup:




Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RvB, ToR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links