Murdoch17

LDD MOC: Long Railway Engine Shed

This shed was built to resemble the 2003 set, Train Engine Shed (#10027). I made it longer by 4 tracks, and widened both stalls by 1 stud on each side. (This makes it so 8 wide trains can fit) I added a middle section, threw out the old hinge-open plan, and replaced it with 3 part modular sections. (left side, middle, and right side) I also moved both sliding side doors to one side, as to create a through passageway. The shed is cabable of holding Anthony Sava's 2-8-4 Berkshire steam engine, and could probably fit other engines longer than that, especially since you can build multiple middle sections. :classic:

Pictures:

8129147486_ca156f15b0.jpg

The main photo. This shed can hold Sava's Berkshire with 3/4 of a track to spare.

8129122095_f503836592.jpg

The side view shows the sliding doors, plus the massive length of this shed.

8129122043_de4185a642.jpg

This view shows the modular side of the shed. It features three sections:

Left side: tiny bit of a platform

Middle section: platform running the section length

Right side: through passegway with sliding doors

8129122003_1589297b67.jpg

The Roof-less view showcases the playability of the shed. There was, in the original set, a metal lathe, vise, drill press, and oil drum. (along with the usual six-on-a-sprue-wheel tools) The bluish-grey blob on the right of the picture you see is the roadway for the sliding doors.

EDIT #2:

This LXF now has a suprise in it! A Switch Tower has been created in the smae color schme as the shed. Pictures here:

8136320782_6296e6148c_n.jpg

The NEW switch tower!

8136290491_dac0f47a4d_n.jpg

The switch tower's other sides.

8136290425_6c4fbed146_n.jpg

The roof is removable, and the light grey slope is supposed to be http://www.bricklink....asp?P=3297px22 . Enjoy the new shed roof / switch tower!

EDIT #3:

New main photo:

8138976384_1ce6541b20.jpg

what is shown above is included in the fixed file. Fixed LXF link: http://www.mocpages.com/user_images/80135/1352073487m.lxf

EDIT #4: Some parts, (such as the 13 needed 1x3 red arches!) are very expensive on Bricklink. They should be replaced with 1x3 plates supported by two 1x1 plates, or just 1x3 bricks. I feel very bad if any of you have spent money buying these parts, (sorry Lazarus!) because it is my fault I didn't update the actual model. :(

Edited by Murdoch17

Very nice! I also extended my engine shed. Maybe you are also interested in my special windows for the 1x6 bows. I have laser cut them! They look just like real LEGO ones :)

I made my version 6 doors and 6 tracks longue to the back. You option for wider doors is also one I would like to still do, since larger engines (Emerald) do not fit through the doors right now!

I'm intressed in all ideas for a bigger Train Shed. My plan is to double the lenght of the original and increas the height and width of the doors. And some other changes, most inspired by other peoples buildings. So please, upload the LXF :wink:

Ingemar

Edited by bileam

I would certainly want to look closer at your design since an engine shed is something I really miss in my collection! It looks great!

Edited by HenrikLego

Many thanks for the file! Your building looks great and this is something I would consider to put together in real bricks. I've found one concern however. The roof-slope piece 8x6 10degrees is not a very common brick and very expensive on Bricklink. Are there other elements that would look good and be more economical?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4515

Looks good, an engine shed is certainly something I would like, not sure I'd have room to store one, but I would like one all the same.

Many thanks for the file! Your building looks great and this is something I would consider to put together in real bricks. I've found one concern however. The roof-slope piece 8x6 10degrees is not a very common brick and very expensive on Bricklink. Are there other elements that would look good and be more economical?

http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=4515

I haven't found a replamcment, (yet), but I would be willing to take suggestions until I do. Any thoughts?

EDIT: First post updated with fixed file and NEW Switch tower! Enjoy the new roof!!

Edited by Murdoch17

cost of that shed in parts would be alot. I just built the standerd one from parts off brick link and still set me back $350nz.

I haven't found a replamcment, (yet), but I would be willing to take suggestions until I do. Any thoughts?

Could this work?

Use some sort of hinge-plates/bricks to make the 10 degree angle and then cover the roof with 1x6 tiles?

They do not cost that much on Bricklink but you'll need 384 (!) of them to cover the same space as the original slope elements did.

This is AMAZING!! I am not very talented in LDD, and the best thing I ever made was lost when I forgot to save it and my computer did an update

Maybe you should try a four track wide shed :)

Or maybe double the length and widen it to eight tracks.. Maybe it should be able to contain the new Horizon Express in double length!! :laugh:

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Sorry, I just realized that I din´t say i like the MOC. It is very nice, the switching tower especially is giving me ideas how to build mine.

I am keen to make that signal box are the plans for this about if dont have a leog cad programs. would love a part list and some plans for it.

I can't seem to upload the HTML file... I;ll just send you a PM instead!

Edited by Murdoch17

Thanks for the PM, how can i get the plans for this. I dont mind downloading some software.

Also just bought 61 out of the 76 item types from my common surplyer on brick link for $40Nz for that signal tower good deal nice to see you using common bits.

Will be happy to put some pics up once built.

Might be a few weeks till i get all the bits.

Edited by Lazarus

The switch tower is an awesome compliment to your engine house! Ill need to make one for the shed I'm working on in LDD

Red Brick, Arch 1 x 3 this is not a cheap brick. 13 are needed for the build of the tower.

I had to by these at there high cost due to me buying all the other parts first and did not research all the parts need for cost.

Cost me 40euros to by them due to no seller having more than 2-3 in stock. shipping cost is what kills it.

Might want to rethink the color. Seams to be just the Red color that is rare.

Red Brick, Arch 1 x 3 this is not a cheap brick. 13 are needed for the build of the tower.

I had to by these at there high cost due to me buying all the other parts first and did not research all the parts need for cost.

Cost me 40euros to by them due to no seller having more than 2-3 in stock. shipping cost is what kills it.

Might want to rethink the color. Seams to be just the Red color that is rare.

I swear I replaced them in the PM'ed parts list! So very Sorry, but I replaced them with 1x3 plates supported by 1x1 plates to make a custom arch. I am sorry, and feel very bad about that... :(

EDIT: Yep, changed the PM list but not the uploaded model... sorry!

EDIT#2: I now have fixed the actual file. Sorry I made you pay more...

Edited by Murdoch17

not your fault is mine, i started by from the emailed list and then went of lego software half way though.

I should of asked also.

i did this with the engine shed when i built if from parts and ended up costing me heaps to buy the black roofs.

Love the plans would love more from you.

Also using 1x1s and a 1x3 wont look as good at the bits i bought but would of saved a bit of cash. Ahh well my lego train collection is a collectors item i can get the cash back at a later date.

With this model not being a Lego model you cant buy off the self it will be very rare in NZ unless they build on from this site.

Note: you could not make me up a plan for a double length so 4 track long shed. I already have a complete 10027 with no missing parts

Note2: Have you got any other kool train related building models. This is what i lack with my lego set.

Edited by Lazarus