Sign in to follow this  
Omega   X

How do you decide what Lego set to buy?

Hello everybody! Firstly, may I point out that I am not very experienced in Lego. Thus, I am curious on what set(s) I should buy. So I shall ask the Eurobricks Community this question: How do you decide what Lego set to buy? :sweet:

P.S. Feel free to post your thoughts :classic:

Edited by Omega X

I can answer for myself, but to be helpful, I think I should point out that this will depend a lot on the buyer and his intended use for the set. Me, I'm an MOCer, so I look at parts value. How versatile are the parts? Are they unusual? Are they in colors that I use often? Do the minifigs integrate well with the MOCs I build? Is the part count satisfactory considering the price?

Personally I mainly buy sets for the minifigs as that is what I collect. I think you have to ask yourself what it is that YOU want from your Lego and go from there. What themes most interest you? Do you want a nice display piece or something to play with?

Edited by charlieboy

I normally look at sets I like, compare what I like in both and compare what I don't like. If I still can't decide, I ask on the topic. If I still can't decide... I buy both!

When I came back to Lego, I started by just buying sets that look good. There were so many I'd missed, and current sets are so good looking, so that's what I focused on.

Now I look for interesting sets on offer that provide a model I like the look of, but also extra value - eg creator 3-in-1, or parts that might be useful when I start MOCing (still playing it safe with predefined sets for now)

I have no interest in minifigs, but they do seem popular around here

I do the same. It makes no point getting a set for few interesting pieces, as you can get them on BL. Most often I check price per piece and then decide. But I always go for a set that I see fit in my creations, either piece- or colour-wise. The most important for me is to use those bricks latter, so I see no point getting something I can't use.

...How versatile are the parts? Are they unusual? Are they in colors that I use often? Do the minifigs integrate well with the MOCs I build? Is the part count satisfactory considering the price?

As much as I love bricks and building things, I buy most sets for the minifigures first and then take a look at the actual pieces in the set. Only recently I got into Star Wars (never been a fan before) and there are a lot of really nice looking minifigures that I would like to get, but I don't care for some of the ships because I am not a die-hard fan like some others. But I end up buying most of the sets anyway for the figures because it isn't that much more expensive, in most cases. If the set has a handful of pieces I could use for something else, then I ultimately get the set. I would say I bricklink the pieces and figures when there isn't a set that has everything I want, but I think most often I just end up getting the set, eat the cost and keep the spares. I have considered reselling, but I don't know if I can get into that in reality.

As far as sets, I look at useful pieces, cool minifigures, price per piece, and overall sale price. I include that last one because I have bought many sets on a really good sale/clearance that I normally would not have purchased otherwise. I suppose that ties in with the price per piece also. But the set has to have some figures or pieces that I originally wanted and the price ended up sealing the deal for me.

If you are new to the hobby, I would say look at what you want to be into. If you like minifigures, you can buy them separately, but sometimes paying a little extra can get the complete set and then you have extra pieces/figures/etc. If you want to get into MOCing, then look at sets with useful pieces in larger numbers, or of course, buy them separately from Bricklink or PAB.

I buy sets either because I think they're awesome or for parts usage. :laugh:

Price! In general I only buy cheap stuff, usually 30-50% off. There's so much I could by and I only have limited space so I might as well spend as little money as possible. I don't MOC (yet) and I enjoy building stuff from instructions and then modding it a little.

In terms of style of sets I really like chunky fully three dimensional structures and vehicles with minimal big custom parts. I hope that makes sense, obviously all Lego is 3D, I just mean that it's solid and complete all the way around rather than having an open back. I love the hinged buildings with interiors for example. That said I'm not a massive fan of modulars and things like that as I prefer adventure, castle and space type themes. I really don't like play sets that are all seperate free standing elements.

For my kid: Anything with ninjas and/or firemen in it.

Edited by Ash

If I like it, I buy it. Simple as that. or if I need the parts I buy it. You should not have others decide what you buy, just buy what YOU want.

If I like it, I buy it.

Same here. There aren't any specific things I look for in a set. I usually go by the "cool factor" :tongue: