Fort Aspiration

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic  – Started by Paul cantu , Aug 12 2009 07:54 PM

#1 Paul cantu

Paul cantu

Member: 4274

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:54 PM

Posted Image Vig. 88a
This is my Redcoat fort for my port. I have been talking about building a port for a while but now have actually started its construction. The fort will sit on top of a mountain that overlooks the beachfront on one side and on the other side overlooks the harbor. I still need more Redcoats  :pir-sceptic:

Fort Aspiration includes The Governor's Mansion, the port's jail, and the Commodore's office.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More at: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=396624 when public

Edited by SlyOwl, 16 November 2009 - 09:23 PM.

#2 martinsuper

martinsuper
  • Black Sheep

Member: 5443

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Real nice! I have always been a fan of the sloped walls!

-Super

Real nice! I have always been a fan of the sloped walls!

-Super

#3 Kaptein Rob

Kaptein Rob

Member: 5483

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

looks like a solid fort! the more redcoats to occupy it, the better :pir_laugh2:
the sloped walls are very nice indeed

#4 74louloute

74louloute
  • Master of the Macabre

Member: 4243

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

Oh what a fully armored fort !
I really like the inclinaison of the wall, the effect is far better than "normal" walls.
Great construction !

If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got.

Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image

#5 Rick

Rick
  • Where's My Ostrich?

Member: 5261

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

That's one mighty fort. I really like the design of the governor's mansion. Although the sloped walls are nice, I don't like the way they attach to the rest of the build. But then again building the walls entirely out of slopes requires many, many slopes. Can't you alternatively attach them using 1 x 2 hinges?

#6 Paul cantu

Paul cantu

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

View PostRick, on Aug 12 2009, 02:09 PM, said:

Although the sloped walls are nice, I don't like the way they attach to the rest of the build. But then again building the walls entirely out of slopes requires many, many slopes. Can't you alternatively attach them using 1 x 2 hinges?

Once I add the mountains and vegetation around the wall they will stay up better. I also built them in that way so I can easily remove them and maybe try different wall designs to see how they look.

Edited by Paul cantu, 12 August 2009 - 08:13 PM.

#7 Claus von Nassau

Claus von Nassau

Member: 3541

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

wow that looks very good to me.

i really like the style of the mansion, and those sloped wall's, look very good,

keep up the good work

claus

#8 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker
  • Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

That's a fantastic Fort Paul.  I like how you used LBaixinho's sloped wall technique from Forte Branco.  I am doing the same thing with my Fort Monck.  It turned out beautifully and has many similaries with the fort I am building right now.  You have given me a few good idea's for my Fort.  The only thing I did differently was I over hung the plates over the wall by one brick to give it a little different look but I still love the very clean feeling it has the way you've done it.  Great job!  All the details you have included are fantistic.  It really has such a completed feel to it.  Move vegitation is only going to add to the final product.  Very impressive.  I love forts!
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#9 Paul cantu

Paul cantu

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

View PostCommodore Hornbricker, on Aug 12 2009, 02:28 PM, said:

That's a fantastic Fort Paul.  I like how you used LBaixinho's sloped wall technique from Forte Branco.  I am doing the same thing with my Fort Monck.  It turned out beautifully and has many similaries with the fort I am building right now.  You have given me a few good idea's for my Fort.  The only thing I did differently was I over hung the plates over the wall by one brick to give it a little different look but I still love the very clean feeling it has the way you've done it.  Great job!  All the details you have included are fantistic.  It really has such a completed feel to it.  Move vegitation is only going to add to the final product.  Very impressive.  I love forts!

Thanks! I can't wait to see your fort! I would definately suggest putting some rocks or some bricks on the outer edge of the sloped walls because the walls slip out pretty easily.

#10 Captain Green Hair

Captain Green Hair
  • Captain Fart Air

Member: 1914

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

That's a great fort you made there.
I really like the gatehouse, it stands out nicely!  :thumbup:  

I would like to see some more landscaping around it, are you planning on that by any chance?
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#11 General Armendariz

General Armendariz
  • I invoke upon thee...the Curse of the Merman-General!

Member: 4056

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

Nice fort! good work with the slanted detail I  hope to see the full port! :pir-classic:

#12 Paul cantu

Paul cantu

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

View PostCaptain Blue Hair, on Aug 13 2009, 12:20 PM, said:

That's a great fort you made there.
I really like the gatehouse, it stands out nicely!  :thumbup:  

I would like to see some more landscaping around it, are you planning on that by any chance?
The fort is going to be on top of a mountain covered with plants. I just don't have all the required pieces at this moment. I need to finish building my beachfront then I'll work on the mountain.

#13 martinsuper

martinsuper
  • Black Sheep

Member: 5443

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

You can always just use a boatload of slopes too....

#14 Paul cantu

Paul cantu

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

View Postmartinsuper, on Aug 14 2009, 07:34 AM, said:

You can always just use a boatload of slopes too....
What is this referring to? If it is referring to the walls then yes that's true but by using the technique I chose you can get the pieces for a cheaper price, still have the same angle as the sloped walls, and add more details such as windows, vines, and so on to the walls.

#15 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

I like your fort! The walls are really nice, as well the buildings within. I'm not too fond of the high tower though. It makes the strong looking fort a fragile look.
Also, the cannons on top have no space behind them, and when a cannon fires it rolls backwards. Not a big deal but it makes the fort wallgangway slightly cramped.
Otherwise, the gatehouse looks great! As well as some other buildings, great detail!

I think you've done a great job Paul! I'm looking forward to see more of you. :thumbup:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#16 Lt. Col. Thok

Lt. Col. Thok
  • Captain Blue Hair is the best!

Member: 1188

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

Nicely done!  It certainly has a colonial look to it.  Nice to see the standard flying high.

With all these forts, we redcoats must be doing pretty well.
"Once, there was only darkness. If you ask me, the light's winning"

#17 Tordenskjold

Tordenskjold

Member: 814

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

ai ai. Nice fort.  love the angled walls . but i think i would not have the house as a outer wall part. look like a weaker point that.  use some laddermen and go in by the window or use cannons to knock the house down instead of the wall.  but perhaps you have some sharp shooters on that part of the fort  :pir_laugh2:
keep the flag high !!

#18 Paul cantu

Paul cantu

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:05 AM

View PostCap'n Blackmoor, on Aug 14 2009, 05:01 PM, said:

I like your fort! The walls are really nice, as well the buildings within. I'm not too fond of the high tower though. It makes the strong looking fort a fragile look.
Also, the cannons on top have no space behind them, and when a cannon fires it rolls backwards. Not a big deal but it makes the fort wallgangway slightly cramped.
Otherwise, the gatehouse looks great! As well as some other buildings, great detail!

I think you've done a great job Paul! I'm looking forward to see more of you. :thumbup:

Thanks. I really appreciate the constructive criticism. I too thought that the tower looked a bit out of place and consulted my ever so helpful sister who said it looked "fine" so I left it. It originally was supposed to have small windows but I started to run low on gray bricks so that was the result. I think I am going to leave the tower but might add the smaller windows. I also noticed the cannon thing but left it alone (I don't know why).  :pir-sceptic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links