Sign in to follow this  
Fraunces

Captain Foul

So hey, since I am recently out of my LEGO dark-age, I was re-discovering some LEGO-Pirates things. Somewhere in my search to find Piratey stuff I found a comic (http://www.peeron.com/scans/6255-1/23/) about the old LEGO Pirates theme, which ended in 1997. In the comic you can find a certain character named 'Captain Foul', and here are my questions to you, LEGO-Pirate lovers:

1. Why isn't he never released? Or is he?

2. Is there any more information to find about capt'n Foul?

I would love to hear from you guys!

Fraunches

Well, I think the comic is just a comic. None of the characters really look like LEGO folk to me.

But to answer your question this is the first I've ever seen this comic.

Well, I think the comic is just a comic. None of the characters really look like LEGO folk to me.

But to answer your question this is the first I've ever seen this comic.

Yes I've been searching for a while now but what you do see is that some of the LEGO pirates sets are based on the story, or backwards..

But anyways , I think it would be awesome if LEGO had made more sets based on the comic, the story is really great :D

Edited by Fraunces

There has been no official LEGO Pirates mini-figure for Captain Foul. But it would be awesome if TLG made sets with comics. :blush:

In the comic you can find a certain character named 'Captain Foul', and here are my questions to you, LEGO-Pirate lovers:

1. Why isn't he never released? Or is he?

2. Is there any more information to find about capt'n Foul?

1. That's a good question! Though the good guys vs. bad guys notion of soldiers vs. pirates would seem to be obvious just by looking at the sets themselves, LEGO made quite a bit of effort to muddy the ethical waters of the Pirates theme in the storyline. One of the ways they did this was to include a third, more villainous pirate faction led by Captain Foul. We sort of got a similar figure in Captain Ironhook, but he wasn't as consistently opposed to Red Beard's crew, and was often allied with them.

I guess it all boils down to how much of the pirate storyline was developed independently of the sets themselves. This is just speculation, but I think at the time the minifigures and sets would have been designed internally by LEGO without much of a storyline, while their go-to ad agency Advance would have been responsible for the characters and storyline applied to them. Foul was probably conceived by a writer working for Advance, rather than by someone at LEGO.

It's a little different nowadays--characters and storylines seem to be developed internally as part of the initial theme concept. I think stuff like Adventurers and Bionicle were game-changers in that respect.

2. Yes, there's actually quite a lot! The Pirate storyline that began in the comic was continued in a series of four books from Ladybird and a series of six German audio dramas, and naturally Foul returns a few times to fight the soldiers and Red Beard's pirates. His picture appears on the title page of "Will and the Gold Chase", even though he's not really in the book (?!). He raids Port Royal in "Captain Roger's Birthday", kidnaps Anne (the female pirate) in "Adventure on Shark Island", and agrees to help find Broadside's lost badge of office in "The Royal Visit".

I haven't been able to get the audio dramas translated yet, but judging from the cast list for the first episode, which is an adaptation of the comic story, Foul appears to be called Captain Baddog. He also appears in episodes 2, 3, and 5--you can see him on the cover of episode 5 here.

I'm working with my dad (who teaches German) to translate the storylines of the German audio dramas that have been posted to YouTube, but it's slow going.

TC

Edited by TalonCard

I have been listening to the German audio dramas that can be found on Youtube, and captain Foul appears in a couple of them. Apparently his ship is named the Barracuda.

Yup, it's that way in the Ladybird books too. It's alright if you use the UK name Darkshark for Red Beard's ship, as the books and presumably the audio dramas do, but if you default to the better known Black Seas Barracuda it becomes confusing. ;) If I were trying to write an official reference guide I'd be tempted to pull a Sam Sinister and just switch the two names...or suggest that the reason Foul hates Red Beard is because he stole his ship's name. :tongue:

TC