WhiteFang

REVIEW: 8833 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 8

On a scale of 1 to 5  

231 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 8?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Right now, what is the best released LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series so far?

4. 4. Are you 'still' looking forward to the new images of the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 9?

• Yes, I can't wait to see the new official designs!
    • Maybe a little bit interested but not really that interested...
    • No, I am getting bored of this theme!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Hello everyone,

Time flies and I am back once again to share with all of you on the latest instalment of the incredible LEGO Collectable Minifgures Series which is due for global launch on the 1st September 2012! This is the third new series, which is released so far in 2012 and I must definitely admit that the tempo is getting much faster. As always and before, I am very pleased to share this very belated special traditional reviewing coverage which exists and only be found solely for our Eurobricks Community. I understand that some lucky LEGO fans had managed to secure the new series and had managed to experience it first-hand. Now this is my turn to see it for myself to see if the new Series 8 continue to live up to our high expectations.

First of all, I will like to give my most sincere thanks and gratitude to TLG (The LEGO Group) for extending this brand new LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series, so I could have a chance to review it early. I really appreciate this rare opportunity for me to experience it at such an early stage. This arrangement can only be made possible, when our very own Eurobricks Staff/LEGO Ambassador, CopMike and my fellow Eurobricks Staffers who continued to support me on this traditional review. It has been a long long time since May 2010, and we are now seeing this for the very eighth time! I hope I will continue to be given such opportunity to work on these kind of reviewing project in the future.

Last but not least, I will also like to take this opportunity to celebrate this new review of mine to mark and commemorate my 100th review which I had done in Eurobricks for the past 4 years since the start of my Eurobricks member! Thank you Eurobricks and this review is and will not be the last of it! :grin:

Now, let's get the review back to track after noting down my thank you! So, let's look back to our usual polling business, it's time to re-cap the past Eurobricks Collectable Minifigures polls once more. With Series 1 and Series 2 launching the first waves in the year 2010 and it continue with another 3 waves of minifigures craze in the year 2011, putting Series 3, Series 4 and Series 5 in another bountiful year. Starting with the year 2012, the new Series 6 and Series 7 came into the picture and shortly one after and another, and now the brand new Collectable Minifigures Series is going to release worldwide in a matter of weeks and this will be a great opportunity for our community to cast your preferred votes in this Series 8 poll statistics.

Name: 8833 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 8

Theme: LEGO System / Collectable Minifigures / Series 8

Year: 2012

Minifigs: 16 unique minifigures

Price for 1 box: USD N.A, GBP N.A, EURO N.A, SGD N.A

Price for 1 packet: USD N.A, GBP N.A, EURO N.A, SGD N.A

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

An image of an 8833 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 8 box

7871050978_123f3efb7c_o.jpg

This time round, the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series doesn't come in bright striking colours but instead it comes in 'jet-black' as the new background colour schema. Below are some of the image links that show the different angles of the box.

[Reference 1]

[Reference 2]

[Reference 3]

The 8 different colour packaging themes for Series 1 to 8 boxes

7888077296_b2063474fb_o.jpg

7888076754_63cd6e55da_o.jpg

What could possibly contain within these mysterious sealed packets?

7871049372_442dba6d7f_o.jpg

It is time for us to collect the new 16 unique minifigures in Series 8

7871023868_af56e94994_o.jpg

It seems only 'yesterday' to me, especially when these new and early images of the Series 8 only managed to emerge and seen in public in July 2012. Unlike previous series, Series 8 images did not manage to leak out at an early stage and at that point in time, this is one of the image that made the very first appearance of Series 8 image. Well done, TLG for doing an excellent job to keep this under-wrap for a very long time! Being a devoted LEGO Collectable Minifigures collector and fan, I always enjoy and look forward to each individual new series. There is endless imagination and possibilities which every minifigure in every series will eventually be liked and collected by the LEGO collectors worldwide. It is truly remarkable to see how far and how much it has grow and evolved.

Front view comparison between Series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 packets

7871047028_12d8c799de_o.jpg

Putting all of these LEGO Collectable Minifigures packets together had definitely put a smile on my face! You can't imagine that LEGO had actually released up to 8 series for the LEGO Collectable Minifigures. Although this kind of marketing of blind packaging is not entirely something new and work well for other types like trading cards, stickers, etc, I strongly believe that LEGO is the only leading market leader to actually campaign something so successful for the entire LEGO Collectable Minifigures series until other toy brands manufacturers had to come up with this and this, for example.

Take a closer look at these. This is the front view of the Series 8 packet, while this shows the back view of it.

Oh, and lastly, if you are intending to narrow the ones that you are collecting. Always go for the 'touch and feel' method. It is now the most effective method to feel for the ones that you are looking for. Your job is to memorise and remember the minifigures assortments for each unique design. Isolate and identify the most unique accessory or accessories that appeared for the minifigure. From there, eliminate the torso, head and legs away and feel for other parts. The only disadvantage of this method is time will most likely wasted if the ones you are seeking for does not exist in the box or ending up having sore numb thumbs after feeling. Still, I think this approach is more practical especially barcode scanning is considered obsolete.

Front view of the Minifigs Series 8 promotional leaflet

7871047940_6c7f522e29_o.jpg

Back view of the Minifigs Series 8 promotional leaflet

7871047398_bbd52792fb_o.jpg

1) The nasty Evil Robot

7871046094_18c83bc4a7_o.jpg

The nasty Evil Robot is back to haunt right from the first Series 1 appearance which is more of a robot factory worker unlike this Evil Robot that appears to be of a bounty hunter level or evil hired mercenary or even be regarded as lethal force built by those Evil 'Zurg' Emperor! All in all, if you like sci-fi, then this minifigure is the one for you to build and amass on. The torso and the leg design are very detailed and you could even notice that there is something like a sound visualiser system or equivalent embedded in the centre with slight silver finishing around the black cold robotic body.

You can take a closer look of the Evil Robot without the helmet on which reveal its true nature.

Parts assortment

7871045818_97773cb886_o.jpg

The parts assortment are pretty standard with the original Series 1 Robot issued parts, with the exception of red laser ray-gun. The parts in general are very much suitable for usage of mecha and space related minifigure customisation to reflect the darker side of the minifigure's identity. I really wonder why this robot comes with a red hand or glove.

He is my evil twin brother...

7871045328_d7caf1de95_o.jpg

The LEGO Sci-Fi Universe has just been expanded...

7871045042_2eedb5374a_o.jpg

2) The adventurous Conquistador

7871044706_f6fb9808aa_o.jpg

The Conquistador are a powerful group of solders and explorers at the service of the Spanish during the 15th to 17th century. These historic group of explorer-solders sail beyond Europe and conquered numerous territories. We had not seen any new conquistador's designs for a long while and LEGO managed to create a series of Imperial Armada from 1996 to 2001 as part of the Classic Pirates era.

All in all, I am very excited towards this minifigure as it definitely counts into the army building formation for conquistadors lovers which we can used to battle against the pirates, islanders, imperial solders, etc. The possibilities are limitless as it actually helps to create a new faction and for those fortunate ones who manage to own some of the past Imperial Armada sets, I do believe it can complement in some ways despite of the differences in years. I am really very pleased to see another historic minifigure coming through the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series.

This is an image of an another view of the Conquistador.

Parts assortment

7871044428_95c7a02471_o.jpg

The parts are very good especially the pearl golden shiny looking armour and helmet. It is not exactly pearl gold but the colouring of the helmet reminds me of the fire metallic gold that belongs to the Fireman helmet. While, the most disappointing thing is perhaps the lack of print for the dark reddish torso but the armour do make it up for the lack of print. Oh, in here, we also see the 'repeat' of the rapier which was first seen in the Series 4 Musketeer.

A dual between the both

7871044016_267abe8046_o.jpg

3) The cheerful Lederhosen Guy

7871043730_9dd9d5878c_o.jpg

Have you ever wondered what is a lederhosen? It actually means leather breeches in German. I am surprise to see such a traditional looking attire which kind of match with those people from the Highland. In Bavaria, and other areas which lederhosen are worn, it is a symbol of regional pride and these men wear them for gardening, hiking, working outdoors, or attending folk festivals or beer gardens. All in all, it looks pretty medieval to me.

This is an image of an another view of the Lederhosen Guy holding the spare white plume.

Parts assortment

7871043392_b83a729663_o.jpg

The parts assortment for the Lederhosen Guy is pretty good especially the new element introduction of pretzel and a re-introduction of the white forestman plume and a new colour shade for the forestman hat. All of these new elements excite me very much. I am very pleased to see thiese parts and these parts can also be used for medeival villagers as well. Kindly note that in this packet, the Lederhosen Guy comes with an extra white plume, even though provision of spare parts had been ceased since Series 3.

We are just like close siblings

7871042926_276d66d706_o.jpg

Take a look at the side view of both minifigures and it looks pretty matching for one another with the Series 1 Forestman placed by the side.

Pretzels, anyone???

7871042364_f3b810f952_o.jpg

4) The wild Cowgirl

7871042074_50772db5ce_o.jpg

Yee-haa!!! Stop right there, cowboy! The Series 1 Cowboy turns his back and saw the wild and sassy cowgirl running towards him! I am pleased to see this brand new and very first LEGO Cowgirl, which had never appeared in the entire LEGO Wild West minifigures line. Correct me, if I am wrong! I am confident that this is the first time that I had ever seen one, with the exception of Jessie from Toy Story movie. That one does not count, in my minifigure scale context. I am pretty sure she will be a sweet treat for all Wild West collectors out there.

Parts assortment

7871041774_01751feaf4_o.jpg

The parts are decent but I find the lasso to be particularly useful and interesting for equipping it with other cowboys or even equipping it for medieval purposes. You might want to note that the ponytail of the Cowgirl is attached together with the back of the hat. You can take a closer look at the fine details of the hairpiece through her side view.

The new LEGO Wild Wild West Series...

7871041300_8682fa6538_o.jpg

5) The energetic Football Player

7871040984_29dfa3e19f_o.jpg

Please do not be mistaken football sports as the same as soccer! It is not the same type of sports and the rules of engagement is different. It is commonly know as the American Football where players from opposing team will go against one another by advancing the football to the end of the opponent's dead-zone. Sounds a little like rugby to me, and this time for the LEGO Sports highlights, this is a brand new sporting segment which is popular in USA.

Parts assortment

7871040648_1b6fa20164_o.jpg

The parts assortment are decent and the protective equipment is nicely done up with printing on both front and back. I try to read a little to understand why the special use of number 12 and it appears that this number belongs to a range of 10 to 19 that classified quarterback, wide receiver, place kicker and punter. More information on uniform number can be found here. Furthermore, the golden trophy which is coated with pearl golden shine add a nice glory to the receiving team. I could easily use that trophy for other sporting purposes like even car racing!

Who will win the trophy?

7871023290_85e5cc9b77_o.jpg

The new LEGO Olympics Sports...

7871040258_de5011a82a_o.jpg

I really hope I did not left anyone out by mistake. So far, the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series had introduced various sporting categories like sumo wrestling, soccer, tennis, snow ski, ice hockey, swimming, football, baseball, ice skating, weightlifting, karate and boxing. Not sure if race car driving can be grouped as part of this classification.

6) The exploring Diver

7871039986_59520c49fa_o.jpg

Who else is keen for an underwater exploration expedition with the certified exploring deep sea diver? This minifigure is well-equipped and trained to venture the deep sea where possible treasures or relics might be discovered through sheer chance of luck. Armed with his trusty harpoon to fend away danger and nautical helmet to continuously supplying oxygen plus the heavy weighs to keep him steady while walking the floor. Overall, I am extremely surprisingly satisfied with this minifigure's design and even though it is just a mere diver but you can't assume the same 'popularity' rating unlike his Series 1 Diver counterpart. This exploring diver exceed way further due to the fact that this is not something sophisticated and unrealistic.

This is another suave image of the exploring diver.

Parts assortment

7871039700_99286a960e_o.jpg

The parts assortment is good and in particular, the nautical helmet simply rocks. The diver comes with back printing and when you removed the diver's helmet, you will be able to notice the side of the nautical helmet and his expression, even though the helmet kind of magnify his face! :laugh:

The LEGO Divers Series...

7871039534_5657c21d85_o.jpg

There are more different types of divers around, like Aquazone and Aqua Raiders, etc, which are not included in the above image. This diver definitely unique of a class of its own.

7) The cool Downhill Skier

7871038294_e2cd8ee4a4_o.jpg

From my observation, I realised that this downhill skier is not very well received due to the fact that we had seen the first skier in Series 2 and to others, it is a mere form of repeat. I beg to differ. This is a very good design of the female counterpart where both skiers can now compete with one another which add in a different design to it. More importantly, female minifigure is always a welcome in my context and getting this minifigure could also help to populate the Winter Village.

This is an image where you see her equipping with her ski gear on.

Parts assortment

7871038038_33339dd30c_o.jpg

The parts assortment are pretty standard issued and there is not many interesting parts worth to highlight except seeing her nice designed torso which shows her purple and pink jacket, plus that stunning looking snow goggles on it.

Preparing for my second jump...

7871037806_7706092141_o.jpg

8) The money-minded Businessman

7871037332_abfcda8054_o.jpg

I don't mean to refer to him as money-minded, but I supposed I am assuming it is more of his personality to be or wanting to be an entrepreneur to make truckloads of money through making business. Perhaps, he just want to strike his winning streak in the financial market like Wall Street. Certainly to me, he looks more like a banker.

Parts assortment

7871037116_5098393bc5_o.jpg

The parts assortment are pretty good and I am very pleased with it especially to see a printed 2x2 tile, featuring the City Financial News including stock chart and the long awaited first of its kind, black iconic bowler hat. It is nice to see new parts like these.

Watch out, Mr. Businessman!!!

7871036462_0d163c1fe8_o.jpg

The guy on my right looks dangerous...

7871036930_41fab77649_o.jpg

9) The lovely Fairy

7871036276_a2444d11cd_o.jpg

This is, by far the most beautiful and lovely Fairy that I had ever seen in minifigure scale and proper format instead of just mere keychain. Everything about her is just perfect and it is very suitable not only for the use of fairytale, but you could modify slightly to transform it into sprites too. Even her fairy twinkle wand is equally lovely in pinkish colour. It kind of inspires me to take fairytale stories into consideration.

This is an image where you can have a closer look at her detailed expression.

Parts assortment

7871035950_f4a4d6f6b0_o.jpg

The parts assortments are pretty good. You will see the same type of cloth skirt but in a lighter green that surrounds her waist. The nicest part is definitely the fairy wings! It comes in translucent blue and is made up of hard ABS plastic instead of just soft plastic or cloth. I could think many of us will be probably wanting to use her parts to do more minifigures customisation. You can see the beauty of her twinkling wings. Overall, I got no complain about her.

LEGO Fairytales

7871035760_cd9b66660a_o.jpg

10) The kind-hearted Santa

7871034820_35bc9d6ef6_o.jpg

To be honest, when I first heard there will be a Santa Claus which will be part of Series 8, I was quite disappointed especially why we need another Santa when there are plentiful. Isn't the City Advent Calendars enough? I was proven wrong until I had seen it with my very own eyes. The past Santa which I had owned is definitely not up to the design standard. In fact, this version is a great improvement but still comes with minor flaws. Nonetheless, it is a great gift for the upcoming holiday seasons and it could be just for that reason too.

This is an image where you can see Santa carrying a huge bag of Christmas gifts.

Parts assortment

7871034576_e561b69cc2_o.jpg

This current Santa parts assortment is excellent. The usage of the Series 3 Fisherman beard is ingenuous and the placement of Santa's cap is a great improvement from the predecessor. The usage of the money sack which is first seen in the recent City sets fit well in here. Actually it is not coming from the City sets, I kind of confused the 2 parts together and it is a new part which is meant for Santa and the bag is totally useful for many purposes like robbing a bank, putting tons of stuff for the minifigure to carry around, etc. The minor flaw which can be quite unacceptable, by my standard is the presence of discoloured pinkish stains within the supposed 'white' territory. I find this quite disappointing and I think this could be the same sentiments as the rest.

Who is the real Santa?

7871034038_18d3b6a582_o.jpg

Can I have my Xmas gift?

7871033664_6ec72e97a6_o.jpg

Filming in progress

7871033370_d7e8c30f7a_o.jpg

11) The elusive Vampire Bat

7871033034_ac9b8bafe2_o.jpg

Seeing this elusive Vampire Bat, the first thing it reminds me and wanting to associate it with, is the new action Monster Fighters theme. I will say that this version actually allow us to afford more of those to amass a flying army to protect the Vampire Lord, especially since the other kind can only be found in the biggest Monster Fighters set. From one glance, I could definitely remembered it as a vampire bat instead of anything else due to its distinctive fangs feature and wing flaps at the side of each arms.

This is another view of the Vampire Bat.

Parts assortment

7871032698_67ef48362f_o.jpg

I will think this minifigure will be quite popular especially to those who might like a flying undead immortal army? There are no other accessories like weapons to be equipped and it is most likely the offensive comes from its own fang. The main highlight of this minifigure is actually the torso where the arms had came together with the wings attached permanently. You can try and position in a manner that he is attempting to spread his wings apart. Here is the back view of the Vampire Bat where you are able to see the back of the wings in greater details.

Do you like this version of Monster Fighters?

7871031672_95ba1f0e00_o.jpg

For those who have been collecting the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series religiously, are you aware that you had actually acquired a full set of Monster Fighters variation? :wink:

12) The funky-looking DJ

7871031436_374213eb4f_o.jpg

Come on, check it out, this funky-looking DJ (Disc Jockey) is rocking the house with his cool sleek moves by mixing his own music to wow his audience. He is certainly looks much younger and energetic, and his overall appearance can be even used to populate your City civilians.

This is another view of the DJ holding his records.

Parts assortment

7871031154_144bf1d62b_o.jpg

The parts are incredibly good and it comes with 2 printed parts which is welcoming. The headphones which is attached to the hairpiece is a nice touch. Don't think it is made possible to make a headphone parts on its own, so you could only get the headphone and the hair of the same kind for other minifigures who wish to listen to music in their ears, like how Series 6 Sleepyhead does it below, with nice soothing music. The torso is very nicely done. Did you notice that the design of the shirt's torso, is actually a reflection of the minifigure's head with the beats in it. To me, that is a very cool feature.

Enjoying the music with my beloved headphone

7871030142_d9a0ce4db1_o.jpg

Which music is he listening to?

7871030968_2389da283a_o.jpg

Who is the best DJ in the house?

7871030394_c54176cc19_o.jpg

13) The sexy-looking Cheerleader

7871029810_c7e94068d0_o.jpg

No surpise down here! It looks like we have another rivalry cheer-leading team lead by Team A which is going against the very first Cheerleader Champion, which is considered the hottest back then! Seeing this new cheerleader had certainly bring up whole level of cheer-leading competition and even though it is a form of repetition by spraying all parts with different coat of colours but the overall appeal remains.

Parts assortment

7871029480_2afb6c8f21_o.jpg

The parts assortment are very much what we are all familiar with. The pom-poms are quite nice and we now enjoy a different taste of muffins too. There is no signficiant parts which I enjoyed the most but I really wish there is a change of hairstyle. I am feeling bored of this design and some forms of variations of another new female hairpiece will be more welcoming in this context. Nonetheless, a very good attempt to re-hash the Cheerleader.

Team M vs Team A

7871029296_bda66bbb26_o.jpg

Just look at these beautiful cheerleaders

7871029058_835df67ab4_o.jpg

14) The imposing Actor

7871028786_f0ffbca4ee_o.jpg

This imposing actor reminds me of Shakespeare's plays. This minifigure is artistic and adds cultural acting to your living population. It is versatile and be used for both modern city and medieval aristocrat times. The entire outfit is outstanding and the design is very good and detailed. I enjoyed seeing this minifigure in this perspective.

Parts assortment

7871028520_54126328c5_o.jpg

The parts assortment are great. It comes with a dual expression and additional skull for props usage. The torso is superb and the fine vintage classy lines can be seen clearly in here. Take a look at how you put this in and make sure it is on the correct side.

Dual expression of the Actor

7871028322_cba46e72eb_o.jpg

To brick or not to brick...

7871027496_c5b32a9d73_o.jpg

15) The deceptive Pirate Captain

7871027202_8a618e3b79_o.jpg

This is really too much. I am going to classify this minifigure as my Series 1 Crash Test Dummy equivalent. It may sounds harsh, but yes, that is my very honest opinion. I can't stand it. There are so many past Pirates Captains around and putting this in another colour with another variation could only do this much, because you only need one Pirate Captain to lead the entire motley crew. You can't do much with this minifigure except to break it apart for parts but viewing this minifigure alone, I can't think of much use beyond the third Pirates Captain. I wish and rather see other more generic designs like the Imperial Solder or Pirates crew for the Pirates theme. Just not another Pirate Captain! :hmpf:

Parts assortment

7871026846_627dcbf5dd_o.jpg

The parts assortment are average and I am disappointed with the lack of epaulette even though it comes with a white plume. I am still disappointed. The only nicest parts are the pearl golden cutlass and the new golden pirate's captain hat. The rest are mediocre. The torso also suffer from pinkish poor printing, like what dear Santa is facing. Apparently, these discoloured pinkish stains is not meant to be there and it ought to be in white instead. You can see the differences in this image. With such factors in mind, this is unfortunately a downer for me. This minifigure is only great if the person who buy it and never own a past LEGO Pirates Captain before or not too many variations.

You are not my new successor...

7871026588_4b97de861c_o.jpg

You pirates scums are now under arrest...

7871025854_df60d07a86_o.jpg

16) The superior Alien Villainess

7871025588_28502394f1_o.jpg

The Alien Invasion which the Alien Defence Unit is defending against, had finally made known! It is none other than the superior Alien Villaniess or could have easily known as Alien Queen. The introduction of this minifigure, somehow completed the 2011 Alien Conquest theme, and it pairs and matches very well with the Alien Commander. This character simply rocks, even though you don't need lots of this character, but her powerful aura just made you want to put her in-charge and I also heard that she had attack many other space realms too.

Parts assortment

7871025168_6c326a49fd_o.jpg

For this minifigure alone, it comes with many small parts. The purple robe come in two parts to form the entire cape. This is how you placed the parts together to form the full robe. The brain of the Alien Villaniess come from the alien front skull and held on by the pink headpiece with the exposed brain at the top. You can take a closer look at her brain. The entire torso is done very nicely. I am thinking to use it to create more other space villaniess with it.

World Domination!!!

7871024388_98c74cc059_o.jpg

Fighting against the Earth's ADU and Galaxy Patrols...

7871024070_3966828b6d_o.jpg

A concluding thought for the Collectable Minifigures Series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8

7888076100_7b00055bec_o.jpg

So, what do everyone feels about the current LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 8?

To be honest, it is above average to some extent but not really up to my expectations. And, I come to realise that not every LEGO Collectable Minifigure Series need to be equally successful or better than its predecessor because every LEGO Collectable Minifigure Series is an unique class on their own and is not meant to be confused like any other kind of LEGO minifigures theme ever. We can't expect to see an entire Series of 16 minifigures to be fully satisfied with. It will be almost impossible to achieve. There are bounds to have minifigures which are not desired and some of which are highly desired. It is all about achieving the right balance to form the right completion. Even though I am not keen and love all of these minifigures, but there are definitely some which I want the most too. In that aspect, I think TLG did an excellent job to continue to entice, maintain and generate interest among us, LEGO Fans and Collectors.

With a total of 128 minifigures released for the entire Series 1 to 8, that is considered tremendously a lots of minifigures to be seen and is no easy feat to attain. I had taken an image above and showcase every single minifigure out there and I had to admit that it is damn impressive! Words of joy can't simply describe the feeling when I assemble and put them altogether as one single theme! It is just incredible to see how much this theme had actually evolved. No one had actually predicted when it first launched to see that it goes out and achieving greater heights.

The LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 8 is also the same as Series 7 that have the highest amount of female minifigures. In this series, the Downhill Skier, Cowgirl, Alien Villainess, Fairy and Cheerleader are the new unique designs for the female minifigures. Unlike previously released series, the average of LEGO female minifigures making it into the series was only at an average of 3 per series and the lowest amount of appearances were actually the Cheerleader and the Nurse which is from Series 1. So, what can you see from here? I see TLG is maintaining this trend and is intending to sustain such a healthy ratio.

From what I can see, this entire theme has evolved and transformed into something incredibly amazing! This can't be made possible in the current LEGO play themes to only create a few handful unique minifigure designs for the play sets. Instead, this is a brand new opportunity which is renewing our wish-list by actually designing the endless imaginations and possibilities and to be presented in the LEGO Collectable Minifigures series by just acquiring the minifigures alone without the bricks.

I am really glad that we had reached Series 8 and as far it can goes, there are lots of undiscovered potentials for this LEGO Collectable Minifigure theme. All I can do, is to hope for their continuation of this theme, so more new inspiration discoveries may appear through the magical wonders of the LEGO Collectable Minifigure Series!

General Statistics for Minifigures Series 8

7871022978_7d2fc87ae2_o.jpg

Below is the combination which I have received from my box,

5 Evil Robots

4 Conquistadors

3 Lederhosen Guys

4 Cowgirls

4 Football Players

3 Divers

3 Downhill Skiers

3 Businessmen

3 Fairies

4 Santa(s)

4 Vampire Bats

5 DJs

4 Cheerleaders

3 Actors

5 Pirate Captains

3 Alien Villainesses

Based on the above, I managed to achieve 3 full complete sets of 16 unique minifigs each. It means I have only 12 remaining random spares left. Read down to find out what are the remaining spares I have.

My remaining spares

2 Evil Robots

1 Conquistadors

0 Lederhosen Guys

1 Cowgirls

1 Football Players

0 Divers

0 Downhill Skiers

0 Businessmen

0 Fairies

1 Santa(s)

1 Vampire Bats

2 DJs

1 Cheerleaders

0 Actors

2 Pirate Captains

0 Alien Villainesses

Data Analysis

Based on the data which I have complied, I have drafted my basic analysis based on my own take. Buying 1 full complete MISB box will allow you to achieve 3 maximum complete unique sets and this is an excellent opportunity for one to complete a few sets without the hassle of scrambling at retail stores. I really hope the given distribution above, is also the same distribution for the rest of the world.

So far, each of the 16 unique collectable minifigures have an equal chance of getting 3 out of 48 packets, when a fresh untouched box is opened and consumers will rush in to buy it separately. That will be a 6.25% probability based only on 48 packets. When you add the remaining 12 spares into the calculation, 7 unique minifigures are only available at 21 out of 60 packets and this translates to 35% in total and 3.5% each, which makes it even harder to achieve by just doing it randomly. Whereas, the probability of getting the Evil Robots, DJs and Pirates Captains are on the much higher frequency, since they are available at 15 out of 60 and this translates to 25% in total and 8.33% each.

However, the likelihood that this percentage will be lowered by at least half due to many fanatic LEGO minifigure hunters/molesters like ourselves who are scrambling high and low to search for the ones that they are highly desired by many fans. Moreover, I am extremely very pleased to note that some of the more likely popular minifigures like the Galaxy Patrols and the Evil Knights are on the highest possible distribution point since these 2 minifigures are generally classified and rated under the army-builders' portfolio expansion. Thus, this will provides a much higher chance for us to likely find it in those opened boxes. At least, that is what it had happened back in Series 6 and 7 where I can still manage to find some very small trace of Celtic Highlanders, Minotaurs, Evil Knights and Galaxy Patrols. It is a pity that the Conquistador Warriors and Vampire Bats are not part of the highest frequency.

To conclude and summaries, based on the probability demonstrated by this review, as an example, here are the results,

High probability

1) Evil Robots

2) DJs

3) Pirate Captains

Total range: 25%

Each: 8.33%

Medium probability

1) Conquistadors

2) Cowgirls

3) Football Players

4) Santa(s)

5) Vampire Bats

6) Cheerleaders

Total range: 40%

Each: 6.67%

Low probability

1) Lederhosen Guys

2) Divers

3) Downhill Skiers

4) Businessmen

5) Fairies

6) Actors

7) Alien Villainesses

Total range: 35%

Each 5%

Some of my close-up images of my current LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series collection

7888075500_2b89f54c7b_o.jpg

7888074940_b7a8542b1e_o.jpg

7888074494_8509bdfc98_o.jpg

7888073926_9e21cf7d99_o.jpg

7888073380_f8b8727567_o.jpg

7888072952_cd95c98d6d_o.jpg

7888072112_c2e5a5a568_o.jpg

7888072442_7a29c95939_o.jpg

To conclude, the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 8 has has not met my 'wow' expectations unlike previous Series, especially the recent Series 7 which had totally blew my mind away. This new Series 8 provided lots of new unique characters and introduced some useful new accessories like the pretzel, lasso, fairy wings, etc. The character design in general, has some forms of repetitions and re-hashes like seeing Cheerleader, Downhill Skier, Evil Robot, Cow Girl, DJ, and a few unnamed others. In fact, I find this series to contain the most repetitions unlike any other past series. I don't think TLG is running out of idea. I strongly believe there is a game-plan for it. It made me wonder if this a subtle attempt to re-capture people who are not into LEGO Collectable Minifigures yet and start to arouse their interest by getting some of the popular ones again, or could it be Series 8 is meant for themes integration expansion. I am seeing all of these reasoning for its positioning. Nonetheless, all of the minifigures are still great from many other different perspectives even though there are some others who strongly felt that Series 8 is actually one of the weakest link among the entire series. All in all, I feel there is always pros and cons on both side of the coin and this Series 8 happen to illustrate that very well.

Thumbs up once more, to TLG for another outstanding job accomplished for fulfilling the dreams of many and the LEGO Collectable Minifigures fans for seeing this continuation! Now, we got to sit tight and patently wait for new images of the next anticipated Series 9 and hopefully (inserting prayers) Series 10. Ultimately, I wish the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series will continue to release wave after wave. :grin:

Please note that the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 8 no longer contains the placement of spare parts. This was practiced since the start of Series 3. However, only one of the minifigure which is the Lederhosen Guy contain a spare parts for unknown reason. The spare part is the additional white plume.

Summary review

Playability: 9/10 (More and more exciting new stuff to be integrated into your existing minifigures collection.)

Design: 6.5/10 (Detailed limited new LEGO minifigures' parts and accessories such as the introduction of pretzel, nautical helmet, but the pinkish discoloured stains for Santa and the Pirate Captain torso is disheartening.)

Price: 7/10 (This rating has dropped because I hope there won't be an increase in price and continue to maintain as it is.)

Overall: 7.5/10 (One of my lowest numberic ratings on the LEGO Collectable Minifigure Series but certainly worth completing at least one set.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr and My Brickshelf (When moderated)

If you are interested to read the past LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series reviews, you may find the following links below!

8683: Collectable Minifigures Series 1

8684: Collectable Minifigures Series 2

8803: Collectable Minifigures Series 3

8804: Collectable Minifigures Series 4

8805: Collectable Minifigures Series 5

8827: Collectable Minifigures Series 6

8831: Collectable Minifigures Series 7

Special Eurobricks Bulletin

We have come to the end of this pictorial review. I believe it will be a no surprise for you especially if you have been active in Eurobricks for the past 2 years plus. Watch out for more new upcoming excitement right here in Eurobricks LEGO Forum.

7871023548_d2bc63a724_o.jpg

Please do not discuss this inside this review. Kindly leave your thoughts in this discussion topic.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed!

Dear Eurobricks Members, Friends, Staffers, and everyone who is reading this!!!

The 8833 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 8 review is ready for viewing! It took me a pretty long time to finish this up as I am quite behind schedule, so without further ado, I hope to present my latest reviewing experience to share with the community.

I hope you will enjoy reading it and to help you with the purchase.

I am also thankful and glad that the CMFs reviewing tradition remain and continued to be shared! :wub:

WhiteFang

*off to take a good solid break*

Thanks for the review, although lots of repeats there are some greats in here, like the actor and the conquistador.

Yet another awesome review WhiteFang, congrats on your 100th. :thumbup:

A bit of a shame, the collectible minifigs were really on a roll since Series 4. I suppose I still like this particular wave better than Series 5, though. Annoying to still see the white pink-on-red plague. :sadnew:

I look forward to seeing more, though.

Thanks: Whitefang, the series 8 figs are very well done I'm only missing the Santa from the figs that I really want.

and have had great luck at feeling the rest!

Thanks again for the great review! great job! :thumbup:

Thanks for another outstanding review! And 100 is A LOT!

I agree with most everything you said on figure-by-figure comments. After the first pictrues of this new series surfaced, I made a quick researsch (so I migh be wrong): there actually IS a difference between this pirate captain and every previous one. Eyewpatch on the right eye instead of the left one. Still, he's just another Capitan Sciancato (goggle suggests "lame" as translation; I literally meant he's missing an eye, a hand and a leg, but "lame" works great too).

It will take some time to see Series 8 in Italy (series 7 is still very hard to find, while there's plenty og Series 6 around). Prices in Italy and most Europe will probably one again be 2,50 per bag and 150 per box.

Thanks guys! :sweet:

I agree with most everything you said on figure-by-figure comments. After the first pictrues of this new series surfaced, I made a quick researsch (so I migh be wrong): there actually IS a difference between this pirate captain and every previous one. Eyewpatch on the right eye instead of the left one. Still, he's just another Capitan Sciancato (goggle suggests "lame" as translation; I literally meant he's missing an eye, a hand and a leg, but "lame" works great too).

Excellent eye for detail. I overlooked this. Yea, so there is a slight difference indeed, but it doesn't really encourage me to get any Pirate Captains beyond the third or fourth cost, at most. I just can't find any valuable use for breaking the Pirate Captains apart. I don't want to end up many of it until I do not know what to do with it. :blush:

Thanks for a great review, as usual. :classic: This time it wasn't an early one (Some of your previous reviews made me bought the earliest possible sets available through ebay, sometimes it was too expensive - and now I've got the whole series before this one...) But it's still a great traditiol and I'm happy it's still live!

I can't say that this series is a fail! Before opening the packs, I hadn't been so excited. But now I can say that the actor is probably my favourite minifig of the whole theme (along with the early spartan, well). The new collar piece is just fantastic! Now there is no need to use reversed epaulettes. :laugh: And, considering action themes too expensive for me here, I'm fond of Vampire Bats end especially ALien Queens!

About the Cheerleader, I certainly prefer the first one, but it's nice to have this hairpiece in black at last.

And I'm waiting for a contest, since the last one was about S6.

Edited by -GZ-

WhiteFang - Excellent review yet again :wub::wub:!

You truly make the best CMF reviews on the small invention called Internet! Well done! And congrats to your 100th review - I can just imagine the time & effort that this have taken over 4 years :oh:!

To start in the end I must say that I also get butterflyes in my stomach just seeing the amount of CMF that TLG has released :sweet:! 128 so far and to have them all put together in one picture shows what I think is the strenght that we quite often fail to see and understand. A series can be ruled "Not so good" by us Afol´s because all the figs doesn´t have what you so rightly described as the WOW-factor. But put them together and you´ll see that there are counterpart minifigs - like Black Evil Robot vs. Silver Good Robot, then the strenght really comes into play.

I´m not in a position to tell people what they should think about the CMF´s overall or indiviual figs but I want to make a list of what I consider is the core values about CMF´s :sweet: :

• So far 128 different ones that would have taken decades to release through ordinare sets.
  • The design/professions of a lot of the figs would never never never been produced if not for the CMF line.
  • The wide assortment of different designs/professions together with the semi-repeating of them, as mentioned above with the Robots makes it a goldmine for Moc´ing and adding detail to any theme & set produced.
  • The price - even without the barcode system (touch and feel method instead) - the price for a special figure is really really affordable compared to buying a set to get the fig. Before you basicly had to get sets like 8401, really old Castle ones, service packs and others to get minifigs (Yeah I know there´s more, just some examples!). And those are basicly the same looking ones that we already had.
  • Some minifigs makes a comeback, like the Forestman. Last seen in 1996 in sets, and then in 2009 in the Collectable minifig set. Now you could get one, two, three ... pretty easy!

I could make the list longer but you get the picture :wink:!

The end this rampage of text I only have two things to say:

:thumbdown: - Some things about the quality isn´t the best, like the pinkish white! I agree with all of you there, but .....

:thumbup: - Again - minifigs that never would have been made are coming out in plethora at affordable prices. To me that seals the deal :sweet:!

:wub_drool:

I may just need to buy a box...

Also, might I mention all the GIRL POWAH going on here? Alien Queens? Sporting Skier and a cowgirl Rodeo Queen?

Awesome!

Thanks for the excellent review Fangy! I just got the Dj myself, such a lovely minifigure. :thumbup:

As for the Football player's number, we believe that it's based on Tom Brady's, on New England Patriots team, number.

Thank you Whitefang for a awesome and detailed review once again.

Like you said series 8 isn´t by my opinion either one of the greatest series but it has some nice figs and bits that are special. I will be getting one of all just for the parts and of the better I will get multipal :laugh:

Like the "Actor", "Lederhosen guy" and many of the "conquistador" more Gold armor :thumbup::wink:

Whitefang what can I say. Your CMF reviews are legend. Usually it's like reviews because they let me experience a set that either I can't afford or is not of my price range or just didn't make the cut for my limited LEGO funds. But this is different. I'm as crazy about these as the next guy and I will definitely be buying a box.

Yet I still look forward to your wonderful reviews. The statistics you provide are very interesting and the grouping with the previous like figs is aways fun to see. Sometimes I actually forget about figs from series past. I really do just love seeing these reviews, plus you usually get your box before me so I get a VIP preview to the figs I will soon own.

Congratulations on keeping the standard for reviews in the top tier. These are the best on the net, I'm sure of it.

Excellent review, but I have to disagree with your review of the pirate captain, namely about us not needing one. I personally don't like to "cross the streams" when it comes to CMF and other Lego mini figs, so I'm happy we got a Captain so I can finally display one with the rest and someone to fight my ninja. While I agree his design is a bit weak (can we perhaps get a pirate captain who ISN'T mutilated for once?), especially when compared to Brickbeard, as I don't want to mix a non CMF figs with my CMF figs this is the only way I can show a pirate in my collection and as someone who loves pirates I've been wanting one since day one.

Otherwise this was a great review and I can't wait until these are finally released in the UK so I can get the remaining ones I want.

Where's the best place to order a case of these? I've read of some users on here receiving cases that'd been opened and potentially tampered with (i.e. better figures traded out for lamer ones).

Am I the only one VERY pumped about the businessman??? The suit is useful and the face is cool, but the BLACK BOWLER HAT is awesome. Clockwork Orange droogs anyone?

As always, thanks for the review.

For those who have been collecting the LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series religiously, are you aware that you had actually acquired a full set of Monster Fighters variation?

No ghost.

WhiteFang - what´s the color of the album cover?

I may not be WhiteFang, but it is Bricklink's "Medium Azure" used on the Series 6 Genie and Surgeon.

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

Thank you guys for your feedback so far.

Thanks for a great review, as usual. :classic: This time it wasn't an early one (Some of your previous reviews made me bought the earliest possible sets available through ebay, sometimes it was too expensive - and now I've got the whole series before this one...) But it's still a great traditiol and I'm happy it's still live!

At least it is still 'early' before the official launch. :wink:

And I'm waiting for a contest, since the last one was about S6.

Please be patient... It is gonna take quite awhile more.

WhiteFang - Excellent review yet again :wub::wub:!

You truly make the best CMF reviews on the small invention called Internet! Well done! And congrats to your 100th review - I can just imagine the time & effort that this have taken over 4 years :oh:!

To start in the end I must say that I also get butterflyes in my stomach just seeing the amount of CMF that TLG has released :sweet:! 128 so far and to have them all put together in one picture shows what I think is the strenght that we quite often fail to see and understand. A series can be ruled "Not so good" by us Afol´s because all the figs doesn´t have what you so rightly described as the WOW-factor. But put them together and you´ll see that there are counterpart minifigs - like Black Evil Robot vs. Silver Good Robot, then the strenght really comes into play.

I´m not in a position to tell people what they should think about the CMF´s overall or indiviual figs but I want to make a list of what I consider is the core values about CMF´s :sweet: :

• So far 128 different ones that would have taken decades to release through ordinare sets.
  • The design/professions of a lot of the figs would never never never been produced if not for the CMF line.
  • The wide assortment of different designs/professions together with the semi-repeating of them, as mentioned above with the Robots makes it a goldmine for Moc´ing and adding detail to any theme & set produced.
  • The price - even without the barcode system (touch and feel method instead) - the price for a special figure is really really affordable compared to buying a set to get the fig. Before you basicly had to get sets like 8401, really old Castle ones, service packs and others to get minifigs (Yeah I know there´s more, just some examples!). And those are basicly the same looking ones that we already had.
  • Some minifigs makes a comeback, like the Forestman. Last seen in 1996 in sets, and then in 2009 in the Collectable minifig set. Now you could get one, two, three ... pretty easy!

I could make the list longer but you get the picture :wink:!

The end this rampage of text I only have two things to say:

:thumbdown: - Some things about the quality isn´t the best, like the pinkish white! I agree with all of you there, but .....

:thumbup: - Again - minifigs that never would have been made are coming out in plethora at affordable prices. To me that seals the deal :sweet:!

Outstanding summary, CopMike. You nailed it all and I agreed with the above! We just got to see the big picture! :wub:

Also, might I mention all the GIRL POWAH going on here? Alien Queens? Sporting Skier and a cowgirl Rodeo Queen?

Girl Power indeed! :grin:

As for the Football player's number, we believe that it's based on Tom Brady's, on New England Patriots team, number.

Thanks Masked Builder. I really got no idea about it.

Whitefang what can I say. Your CMF reviews are legend. Usually it's like reviews because they let me experience a set that either I can't afford or is not of my price range or just didn't make the cut for my limited LEGO funds. But this is different. I'm as crazy about these as the next guy and I will definitely be buying a box.

Yet I still look forward to your wonderful reviews. The statistics you provide are very interesting and the grouping with the previous like figs is aways fun to see. Sometimes I actually forget about figs from series past. I really do just love seeing these reviews, plus you usually get your box before me so I get a VIP preview to the figs I will soon own.

Congratulations on keeping the standard for reviews in the top tier. These are the best on the net, I'm sure of it.

Thank you Big Cam for your kind understanding! I am glad my review always help you to ascertain your purchases beforehand.

Excellent review, but I have to disagree with your review of the pirate captain, namely about us not needing one. I personally don't like to "cross the streams" when it comes to CMF and other Lego mini figs, so I'm happy we got a Captain so I can finally display one with the rest and someone to fight my ninja. While I agree his design is a bit weak (can we perhaps get a pirate captain who ISN'T mutilated for once?), especially when compared to Brickbeard, as I don't want to mix a non CMF figs with my CMF figs this is the only way I can show a pirate in my collection and as someone who loves pirates I've been wanting one since day one.

Otherwise this was a great review and I can't wait until these are finally released in the UK so I can get the remaining ones I want.

Ah, that kind of analogy is accepted for sure and I understand where you are coming from. I am thinking for collectors who never played with Pirates before or owned any Pirate Captains before, then this new one is definitely welcoming for them. I don't know about the rest but for myself that is the only minifigure which I am least excited about. I do need one or two, but I felt the design is rather repetitive in some extent.

Where's the best place to order a case of these? I've read of some users on here receiving cases that'd been opened and potentially tampered with (i.e. better figures traded out for lamer ones).

Try buying a box from the retail store or brand store, request them that you are intending to buy a sealed original box. I am sure they are able to help, if the customer service is good.

No ghost.

I was actually 'hoping' in my mind, that there is such a possibility to see a ghost next time. :blush:

WhiteFang - what´s the color of the album cover?

7871031154_144bf1d62b_o.jpg

It looks turquoise to me (layman terms), but as what CM4S pointed below, it is definitely medium azure.

I may not be WhiteFang, but it is Bricklink's "Medium Azure" used on the Series 6 Genie and Surgeon.

Thanks CM4S.

The usage of the money sack which is first seen in the recent City sets fit well in here.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the sack is a new mold. Maybe you are mixing it with this backpack piece that debuted last year? I haven't yet got my hands on any Series 8 figs, but Santa's sack is actually the new part that I'm most excited about - more than about actor's collar or lederhosen guy's pretzel, which is saying a lot! Such a part has been sorely missed.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the sack is a new mold. Maybe you are mixing it with this backpack piece that debuted last year? I haven't yet got my hands on any Series 8 figs, but Santa's sack is actually the new part that I'm most excited about - more than about actor's collar or lederhosen guy's pretzel, which is saying a lot! Such a part has been sorely missed.

At first, I thought the Santa pack is something new, but I didn't have a chance to play around or at least build the recent 2011 and 2012 City Police and Forest Police sets. I always had that impression and assumption that the Santa pack is part of the robbers stash. You might be right on that, I could have been confused by it.

Yes, the Santa pack is indeed a great exciting new part! :thumbup:

-Sci

Thanks CM4S! That is great news to me :sweet:!