General Magma

The Name Change Thread

Have you ever thought of changing your name across the LEGO community websites? Or have you ever done so?

If so, why, and what was your new name meant to represent? Would you ever use your full real name? Or do you not deem a person's username to be all that important?

I myself am facing a dilemma right now on whether I should change my current username or not, and what to change it to.

I came up with it nearly 8 years ago and I didn't put much deep thought into it or anything back then, and now it turns out LEGO is using a near-identical name (General Magmar) for a Nexo Knights villain,

which bugs me a bit, for some reason. I suppose I don't really feel like sharing a name with an existing character, although the difference is one letter.

I'm also thinking that I might need a different name to unite all my MOCs, customs and future Brickfilms (I'm gonna pick up Brickfilming again in the near future) under one banner appropriately,

and I'm still thinking about whether my current name would do the trick for me or not. I've been thinking of using my real name here and there, but as is the case sometimes, it could be a temporary dilemma.

Edited by General Magma

I feel you, I would love to change my name, I like it but its getting old and I would prefer a new one

I have used my username on various sites for over ten years now. I like the simplicity and absence of numbers. I personally would never use my full real name, because I try to keep my identity fairly private or tied to work/research projects. I can see the advantage for someone to use their real name if they either want to be known for their hobby, or they are making LEGO creations professionally. I think a real name can be more memorable than a generic name like 'BrickBuilder123'.

For what it's worth, I think you have a decent username and I don't associate it with Nexo Knights, which will run it's course and not many will remember what minifig General Magmar was.

Nope, been stash2sixx the whole time!

I'll change your name for you...if you shorten up that signature?

I've sometimes become dissatisfied with my online usernames, but that always passes. I'd prefer to not use my real name, just for the same reasons that Iria mentioned.

As to your name, Magma, don't change it! I've never once looked at your name and thought, "Wow, that guy named himself after General Magmar. Lame." The two are completely unrelated in my mind. Your join date, avatar, and signature also testify as to your non-Nexo Knight-y-ness.

Also, I personally detest name changes. It's confusing. I'm active on BZPower, and people change their names all the time. Not only do they change their names, but they change their signatures as well, further muddling things. It bugs me soooo much. IMO, it's very wishy-washy and represents a thorough lack of perseverance. But you don't fall under that category, Magma- you've listed some very legitimate reasons for your potential name change.

I've used different names on different boards. Most specifically suiting the theme of the board.

Here, I used to use Hawkman, but changed it to HawkLord. I realized it could be confusing to some because I don't know a single thing about Hawkman the DC superhero (except that he has something to do with hawks) and wanted to distance myself from that. Granted HawkLord is probably my only board name that doesn't have anything to do with the board's theme, it is a theme for me.

Oh yeah, I used Zblj just randomly and now I'm stuck with it... Dunno, its rather hard to do a clean slate once you've been in the community for so long.

Edited by Zblj

Interesting topic! Yes, I've certainly thought about changing my nickname. Most of all because it's not searchable - if you try googling 'L@go', Google will just ignore the @. Highly impractical. The reason I chose it in the first place was that my real first name is Are, and when I started studying way back in the '90s, encountering the Internet for the first time, I started writing my real name @re in signatures etc. So I figured it made sense to replicate that with my nickname, and since the topic I needed the nickname for was LEGO... well, you understand.

The problem was I didn't really figure out the problems with my nickname until after it had... well, stuck, in a way. I got featured in a book, with my nickname, and suddenly it felt too late to change it. I still contemplate it every now and then... but the longer I go without making that change, the less likely it seems that I'll actually get around to doing it.

How do you change your Eurobricks username?

PM a "mod" would work. But, if you have enough post I think you can occasionally change it (like once a year).

I changed my name recently (via Mod PM) for consistency across forums. I am Spacemonkey in some places, but was BrickMonkey on all LEGO-related sites except this one. I only went with Spacemonkey when signing up because BrickMonkey was already taken by some non-active user. I was aware of the postcount requirement, but the staff here kindly waived that for me.