Luke_likes_Lego

How do you pronounce Ninjago? :-)

It Depends.

Ninja-Go! Is the chant Ninja's use to summon Spinjitzu.

Nin-Ja-Go is the City, Location, and Set-line name.

Hope that helps. :)

Nin-jaw-go is the official pronounciation.

-Sci

This is the correct way, however the Ninja occasionally say Ninja GO! before they start to spin as well.

I say ninja go.

Once, a Lego Store employee pronounced it nin jago which sounded so bizarre that it took me a moment to figure out she was talking about Ninjago.

They're ninjas! I think you should keep the ninja part together at least when you pronounce it! lol

.... pronounced it nin jago .....They're ninjas! I think you should keep the ninja part together at least when you pronounce it! lol

Yeah...and Astronomy should be Astronautomy...... :tongue:

Nin-JAH-go (with the stress on the second-to-last syllable) is how it's pronounced when referring to the theme or the setting. But the two-word phrase "Ninja GO!" appears frequently in the show, in the promotional songs, and in the gameplay directions for the spinner sets.

My argument is that ninjas are central to the Ninjago name/theme. To say that astronauts are central to astronomy is, well, wrong.

Nin-JAH-go may be the official way to pronounce the theme name, but it'll always sound weird to me.

They're ninjas! I think you should keep the ninja part together at least when you pronounce it!

Edited by abcagreeyou

Oh, how silly some of these sound. Nin-JAW-go? That sounds weird. Anyway, I say it like Nin-JAH-go, like in the promotional TV stuff.

Oh, how silly some of these sound. Nin-JAW-go? That sounds weird. Anyway, I say it like Nin-JAH-go, like in the promotional TV stuff.

In a number of dialects, including several American dialects, there is no differentiation between the sounds of "Ah" and "Aw" (so for instance, the words "cot" and "caught" would be pronounced the same). I was quite surprised when I learned this myself. I grew up understanding that each had its own distinct sound, so it took a while to get used to the idea that some people don't pronounce them differently at all.

....To say that astronauts are central to astronomy is, well, wrong....

...are you sure? Next you'll be saying the same thing about taxi drivers and taxidermy? :tongue:

Well, I always called it Nin-JAW-go,and since I never play the spinners game(Ironic, since I have every spinner and booster from 2012), I don't need to shout Ninja-Go! at anyone.

I always say,"Nin-JAH-go", and I think anything else sounds weird. Often English speakers worldwide will add something from their own familiar lexicon or regional dialects. people from great Britain, Australia, and the New England region will sometimes add an "R" after a word or syllable that ends with "a". China becomes Chiner. Idea becomes idear. Ninja becomes Ninjar. :tongue:

I always say,"Nin-JAH-go", and I think anything else sounds weird. Often English speakers worldwide will add something from their own familiar lexicon or regional dialects. people from great Britain, Australia, and the New England region will sometimes add an "R" after a word or syllable that ends with "a". China becomes Chiner. Idea becomes idear. Ninja becomes Ninjar. :tongue:

Not everybody says "Ninjar" in Britain... or maybe I'm too used to my dialect to know.

Not everybody says "Ninjar" in Britain... or maybe I'm too used to my dialect to know.

Yes, you're right. localized dialect often dictates pronounciation. That's why I said "sometimes adds an R". Try listening to a US congressional meeting sometime, it can be entertaining to say the least. You will hear distinct regional dialects and the accents are often quite pronounced. The represenatives from Texas sound completely different from the ones from Connecticut. The represenatives from West Virginia sound different from the ones from Minnesota, and they all sound different from each other. Yes, they are all English speaking Americans, but the accents vary all across the spectrum.

Astronomy and Astronaut both use the same root "Astro". It's not like astronomy is only performed by astronauts.

I live in the UK and have been to Australia and have never heard an 'r' added to a word ending in 'a'. Making an 'r' sound requires a particular action of the tongue whatever your accent and no such action is taken in the UK or Australia.

Back to the original question: the staff at the Lego store nearest me pronounce it "nin jago" but I pronounce it "ninja go". The theme revolves around ninja and, as such, the word should be preserved in the theme's name.

Edited by AmperZand