Hi there, I'm new, and this is my first robot on this forum! So today, I'll be showing you the EV3 Camera Bot! This robot is controlled by remote, and it can move by wheels, and even press the trigger by remote! It IS actually a pretty practical robot, as it can get into places where humans can't squeeze in, such as under a bed. Anyway, just check out the video below!

Edited by Jim
Removed text color

Nice. Has anyone tried a regular USB camera, plugged directly into the EV3. Granted, the VE3 may not have the processing power for video, but some camera controls for sure can be routed through the EV3.

This is very good !

I presume the next version we'll see what the camera see in your PC screen, by bluetooth.

This is very good !

I presume the next version we'll see what the camera see in your PC screen, by bluetooth.

I hope that I could do that. Thank you.

Nice. Has anyone tried a regular USB camera, plugged directly into the EV3. Granted, the VE3 may not have the processing power for video, but some camera controls for sure can be routed through the EV3.

Can you please recommend a camera that has such functions?

Nice. Has anyone tried a regular USB camera6h.jpg

Some people (includind myself) have been using USB cameras with EV3 running ev3dev (a linux distro for EV3). Most recent Logitech / Microsoft cameras work. Even old LEGO USB camera work (although almost useless).

If you are familiar with linux, see this interesting and well documented project: First-person view and remote control with LEGO Mindstorms EV3.

Hi there, I'm new, and this is my first robot on this forum!

Hi Hao,

Welcome to the forum. Nice robot you have made. Would indeed be cool to have the pictures transfered to your computer.

By the way; I have removed the blue color in your text. We tend to use the regular font to keep things readable.

Enjoy!

Thanks for your suggestion. I wonder if it's applicable to EV3...

Look at the title if the page: "Vision Subsystem v4 for NXT or EV3 (NXTCam-v4)"

Some people (includind myself) have been using USB cameras with EV3 running ev3dev (a linux distro for EV3). Most recent Logitech / Microsoft cameras work. Even old LEGO USB camera work (although almost useless).

If you are familiar with linux, see this interesting and well documented project: First-person view and remote control with LEGO Mindstorms EV3.

What's linux? Where can I learn it? Thanks.

What's linux? Where can I learn it? Thanks.

It is an operating system, like Windows and OSX are. If you neaver heard of it but really want to learn perhaps the best way is getting yourself a Raspberry Pi microcomputer ( ~US$ 40) and learn by using it with Raspbian, that's the linux «flavour» most people use with the Pi. Ubuntu is also a very popular linux distribution, you can download it and try it on your computer.

It is an operating system, like Windows and OSX are. If you neaver heard of it but really want to learn perhaps the best way is getting yourself a Raspberry Pi microcomputer ( ~US$ 40) and learn by using it with Raspbian, that's the linux «flavour» most people use with the Pi. Ubuntu is also a very popular linux distribution, you can download it and try it on your computer.

Sorry, I do not know much about computers...Never mind, I'll search for myself.

The Mindsensors camera can connect to the NXT and the EV3.

And most modern USB webcams can connect to the EV3 but you need to use a custom operating system (like ev3dev) to recognize and use them.

Do you just download LINUX as your EV3 firmware?

We are going off topic but...

The way LEGO built the EV3 allows us to run other firmware versions without modifying the original one.

I download an ev3dev image file (like a CD ISO), put it in a 8 GB micro-SD card and power up the EV3 with it in. You can read more at ev3dev.org site.

We are going off topic but...

The way LEGO built the EV3 allows us to run other firmware versions without modifying the original one.

I download an ev3dev image file (like a CD ISO), put it in a 8 GB micro-SD card and power up the EV3 with it in. You can read more at ev3dev.org site.

Ok, thanks so much.

The robot slightly tilts forward as there is a tall castor wheel in the back. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it better?

Is there anybody who can answer me?

The robot slightly tilts forward as there is a tall castor wheel in the back. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it better?

If you use your robot always in that kind of floor, you may try to remove the caster wheel, I think the 2 liftarms ends are enough. For very small robots I some times use just a "boat stud" touching the floor.

If you use your robot always in that kind of floor, you may try to remove the caster wheel, I think the 2 liftarms ends are enough. For very small robots I some times use just a "boat stud" touching the floor.

You mean scrape the floor?

Yes. If you're concearned with scratching the floor, put some adesive tape on the bottom surface.

These 3 micro-rovers are using «boat studs», the floor is plain stone:

Yes. If you're concearned with scratching the floor, put some adesive tape on the bottom surface.

These 3 micro-rovers are using «boat studs», the floor is plain stone:

But my robot is not small...Should I use the smaller wheels in the EV3 set?