Xfing

Your opinions on the 8414 Mountain Rambler from 1997

I'm acquiring this set right now as part of my Lego Technic "soul searching" journey whereby I purchase a ~250 pcs sized Technic set from every year up till now to observe how the designs have been changing and evolving over the years. I don't do so in order of course - whichever set catches my interest, I buy.

So to all of you who own th 8414 Mountain Rambler - what are your impressions about this thing? Its strong and weak points, the fun factor and all?

Edited by Xfing

Strangeā€¦ I actually don't remember that set.

I do like your idea of buying a set from every year. It would be especially interesting if you could find a certain type of vehicle they released every year.

Strangeā€¦ I actually don't remember that set.

I do like your idea of buying a set from every year. It would be especially interesting if you could find a certain type of vehicle they released every year.

Here's the original thread, feel free to chime in if it's not against the necro policy :P I'm not very far into the list yet, but I'm hoping to get a bit ahead in the coming months!

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=92093

I have this set. The tracks are rather hard to push, but it has some suspension, etc... I'd give it a 6/10.

I have it. It is one of my least favorite. Nothing really wrong with it, but nothing good about it either.

Alright... guess looks can be deceiving, haha. Anyway, I'm waiting for the delivery. What about the value of the parts themselves for rebuilding?

It has some interesting parts like the red pistons as mentioned, rubber tracks, 6 sprockets for those tracks in yellow, the nifty steering parts and a very long flex tube in yellow. The set itself has an engine driven by the rubber tracks and the tracks have sprung suspension (I think those functions are both unique to this set but I could be wrong) and HOG steering. I thinks it's also the only half track Lego released. So it's quite a unique set but I don't really like it that much. It's OK, if you can find it for a good price then the parts may be useful but as for the model itself it's not a model of anything I recognise in real life. It's called a mountain rambler but a more accurate name would be weird half track thingy.

I have one, for me it's my least favorite set.

The tracks are very difficult to use/push and the steering control always came apart because it has no reforcing to keep it from came apart from the frame when you push a little bit more (that is needed due to the difficult track system).

To me it is a set only to parts, it is not even good looking or similar to something real.

Just received the set, opening it now. Quite excited, the parts themselves look sweet :)

EDIT: Ok, just finished the build. The process itself was quite pleasant and the set contained quite a few design solutions innovative for its time. I also liked a lot how the set is primarily studded, yet starts introducing many of the studless connectors we'd see in later sets. The first studless beams also start appearing, which gives the set a hybrid feel - something I like most in Lego Technic. I especially liked the interplay of the friction pins and plates with axle holes for the rear spoiler - the parts used to their fullest.

The play value is pretty limited alright, but all the mechanisms work perfectly as they should, and the treads have no problem rolling, except maybe on ultra smooth surfaces (though the rubber has gotten a bit loose over the years, perhaps I should buy replacement treads?). I was quite happy with the build process itself, it was fun. Not a bad set overall, though I suppose most other are even better considering it's one of your least favorite sets around here.

Edited by Xfing

I also liked a lot how the set is primarily studded, yet starts introducing many of the studless connectors we'd see in later sets. The first studless beams also start appearing, which gives the set a hybrid feel - something I like most in Lego Technic.

If you like that, you should get the 8275 or 8458. Or if you want a smaller set, the 8437 (also has the red pistons).

If you like that, you should get the 8275 or 8458. Or if you want a smaller set, the 8437 (also has the red pistons).

Ok, I'll totally check out those sets.