CopMike

LBR & S@H Product Discount Restriction (NORTH AMERICA ONLY)

From TLG through Kevin Hinkle, Senior Community Coordinator - AMS LEGO Community Engagement and Events:

Hello and Good Afternoon folks,

I hope this message finds you all well. I understand there has been a bit of chatter and discussion around the community in regards to a recent change in qualifying items that may be purchased with a discount via LEGO Brand Retail Stores. I have reached out to my colleagues within LEGO Brand Retail as well as other business partners within the company to investigate this further. I can confirm with you all today that a new restriction has, in fact, been placed upon items that may be purchased with a discount through LEGO Brand Retail as well as LEGO Shop-at-Home. This new rule applies to any and all discount opportunities that are currently operating. These are the areas that affect the AFOL community:

· LBR LUG Showcase Program

· AFOL Appreciation Shopping Day

· New LBR Store Opening Volunteer Opportunities

· LBR Master Model Building Event Volunteer Opportunities

· LBR Large Scaled Store Event Volunteer Opportunities

As of July 1st, the following “exclusive” items are no longer available to be purchased at a discount, with no exceptions:

10188 Death Star™

10197 Fire Brigade

10211 Grand Emporium

10214 Tower Bridge

10218 Pet Shop

10221 Super Star Destroyer

10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

10223 Kingdoms Joust

10224 Town Hall

10225 SW R2D2

10226 Sopwith Camel

10228 Haunted House

10229 Winter Village Cottage

10233 Horizon Express

10937 Batman™: Arkham Asylum Breakout

10232 Palace Cinema

10240 Red Five X-Wing Starfighter™

10237 The Tower of Orthanc

10234 Sydney Opera House™

10236 Ewok™ Village

10235 Winter Village Market

31313 MINDSTORMS 2013

21050 Architecture Studio

I understand that this will likely be met with great disappointment and concern. I assure you this decision was not made lightly and at an extremely high level within our organization. I would appreciate your help in passing along this information to your respective LUGs to ensure everyone is adequately prepared before participating in one of the above mentioned discount opportunities. Please note this new restriction ONLY applies to North America, more specifically the United States and Canada.

I have already passed along my feedback concerning this change as the community representative for North America to the appropriate individuals. Thank you for your continued time and support.

Regards,

Wow! I was considering joining a local LUG, but will pass now.

Sounds like the death of discounts for addicted AFOLs in the US and Canada. The recent ending of discounts for participants during major events was a major blow to my collection of large sets like the ones mentioned on this exclusion list.

Maybe we should start a new thread to discuss what, if any, discounts remain for AFOLs.

I wonder if they cancelled this because there was some large scale abuse going on? And it's interesting that it only currently applies to USA/Canada.

I'd bet that a significant number of these were ending up for resale at a profit on places like Bricklink,eBay etc.

I've been buying thousands of dollars of LEGO every year for over a decade, and never bought one at a discount like this. Oh well, you can't miss what you never had.

We rushed into our local LEGO store in Raleigh this morning to pick up the new large Sydney Opera House set because they received a few last night, and we definitely wanted one to build. $319. plus tax is a large chunk of money regardless of what is in the box. But I am sure that we will adore the build just as much as the Taj and Cafe Corner and many other large sets.

It does seem a shame that resellers have been able to pick up multiples (often at discounts) during the first month a set comes out, and jack up the price on eBay and elsewhere before others who want a copy to build get a hold of a set. I know that this is capitalism and blah, blah, blah, but capitalism stinks sometimes. Maybe the ending of discounts is not the end of the world for most of LEGO's customers, those who build for their own use.

And maybe the decrease in discounts will level the playing field a bit for those of us who do pay full price most of the time. But I do know that it is impossible to stop resellers from picking up as many copies as they can afford. Is it okay anyway to frown on too much greed, and where should the line be drawn? I know that these topics have been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere, but they do tie in with the end of LUG discounts.

I'm wondering if it'll jack up the prices in BL. If there's an increase in prices at the supply end then those raises will get passed onto us the consumer.

We will see. 15%+vip is more "reasonable" discount, but if they will limit exclusives out of that, those AFOL days will be pointless. Hopefuly there will still be double VIP points, so it would be better to shop.

I know that TLG is not obliged to give us anything, but it certainly leaves some bitter taste. Luckily, so far there is nothing on LA forum about this being valid for europe too, and hopefuly they will take into consideration that we just barely started with those (at least us in slovenia and here on eurobricks).

What is this all about i am at a lost here. What is this LUG discount? Does this mean that you cant use your saved up vip points to purchase these sets? Can someone please explain this all.

What is this all about i am at a lost here. What is this LUG discount? Does this mean that you cant use your saved up vip points to purchase these sets? Can someone please explain this all.

You can still use your saved up VIP points for the sets listed. It is that you won't get a discount when you buy any of these listed sets like on AFOL Appreciation Day for example. Other sets not on the list, you would still get the AFOL Appreciation Day discount on appreciation day. Conditions of the discounts are for personal use only, no reselling.

Wow! I was considering joining a local LUG, but will pass now.

Huh!?!!? There is so much that being in a LUG can provide and occasional discounts at the LEGO stores was never about LUGs themselves nor would I have even assumed that was part of the deal. I think you will find that a good LUG is a place to hang, chat, trade, admire, share and draft.

You can still use your saved up VIP points for the sets listed. It is that you won't get a discount when you buy any of these listed sets like on AFOL Appreciation Day for example. Other sets not on the list, you would still get the AFOL Appreciation Day discount on appreciation day. Conditions of the discounts are for personal use only, no reselling.

Thanks for clearing that up.