Two polls to fill please.  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this set?

• I love it! Must buy it!
    • It's nice, but I'm not a technic builder.
    • It's just average
    • Way to many thing wrong with it. Junk.
  2. 2. Just curious, how's my review?

• Awsome! I always read your reviews!
    • I was looking for this set, and it's a great review.
    • I think you need more work. But it's fine.
    • Not all that great. I read it for the pictures, not the article.
    • This is just bad. Quit writing.

This has got to be the best review of the 8258 crane truck out. Really clear, easy to understand and a large number of pictures in great detail.

At first I was a bit skeptic on spending so much money on this set but after reading this excellent review it made me want it. So

i purchased it from lego.com the next day. Cant wait to get it :classic:

Great review starstreak :tongue:

I'm sure you'll like it. Just take your time when you get to the gear box for the crane. If you put something in backwards, you'll spend time later taking the whole thing apart to fix it.

i purchased it from lego.com the next day. Cant wait to get it :classic:

Great review starstreak :tongue:

Finally, after waiting for so many mounths, my copy arrived last thursday!

Had tons and hours of buildingfun.

It took me allmost 1.5 days..... :wacko: I'm a slow and patient builder

Had to eat, sleep and recharge the battery of my camera, you know!

This IS a magnificent model. A true flagship and totally worth the €122.50 i spent on it!

I really love the gearbox! It is so complex. 4 functions on 1 L-moter! :thumbup:

The crane arm works like a charm. (Thanks to StarStreaks tips!!!)

Only wrecked a few 12t bevelgears on using the outtriggers, but (with a few tips i got from the brickshelf-community) I got that problem tackled!

4.75 stars out of 5

Edited by JunkstyleGio

I got mine yesterday and I absolutely love it. Superset. Looks great next to my 8285. Some questions about the design though: why is there a blue pin with stud in the back at the rear outriggers box? And why does the roof of the cabin use some grey non friction pins?

I got mine yesterday and I absolutely love it. Superset. Looks great next to my 8285. Some questions about the design though: why is there a blue pin with stud in the back at the rear outriggers box? And why does the roof of the cabin use some grey non friction pins?

That blue pin is a bit of a mystery. After staring it for a few minutes, my guess it that it is there to prevent you from installing the whole box upside down. If you put in it upside down with the pin on the right, then the outboard axle would not fit.

As for the non-friction pins, when they are used on a non-rotating joint it is usually because those pins were needed for the alternate model. For the cabin, it doesn't really matter whether they have friction or not, so this allowed them to work for both.

As for the non-friction pins, when they are used on a non-rotating joint it is usually because those pins were needed for the alternate model. For the cabin, it doesn't really matter whether they have friction or not, so this allowed them to work for both.

No.

The roof of the cabin is not perfectly horizontal.

Actually, it is better to have a bit of play, with pins whithout friction.

Edited by Anio

Thought i might post up some pics of the B model for the Lego Crane Truck,

One thing ill note was that having the manual as a pdf was a real pain, lego would be far better to provide it as separate images on a dvd, or in a zip file then i could set them up as a slideshow on the tv, rather then having to use my laptop which got in the way and was slow to use.

Couple of issues with it.

The gear selectors are in a really awkward position.

When you stick the stickers on the Crane truck they don't really work so well on the B Model.

Doesn't have a whole lot of complicated movement.

Upsides.

It looks good, has really nice lines on the truck.

Pics!

f1486a46915290.gif 9ab68c46915291.gif 45218846915293.gif f137fb46915294.gif d24eec46915296.gif 322caf46915297.gif b26bf446915298.gif 6fc81046915300.gif

Edited by HyperBlade

Alternate build does look nice. :) Btw, you might want to upload 800x600 pictures. Those are pretty large.

Heck Yes! This is probably one of the best B-models i've seen in the last years.

Even the stickers seem to match!

Great pictures.

Now I can't stop thinking about getting a second copy.... :cry_sad:

Maybe as a next thing a small movie?

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Very nice B-model !

But : 3 MO photos + blurry photos = fail. :sceptic:

Very nice B-model !

Well well, that is not so nice, Anio!

Maybe you should make some better ones yourself.

Or Starstreak....

His pics are the best!

Wow, that's a seriously nice B model of the Crane Truck, thanks for the images. The pickup truck looks superb and those lovely red panels really give it nice lines (Lego sure love their primary colours!). Now I want the Crane Truck model!

Actually, I think I might get the B model manual from Legos site and try and build the pickup truck myself :) That would please the girlfriend more then me buying another big model this year :D

Edited by tomacwhite

I understand.

But 20Mo for 7 pictures, it is definitely far too much on a forum !

Pics edited to be more friendly.

Very nice B-model !

I'm sorry about those, i just selected all and uploaded, as to the blurryness normally the camera takes great photos but by the time i had realised they were blurry i had already dismantled the model :(

Or Starstreak....

His pics are the best!

Thanks, they were average, and he had a very valid point on the size, but no one else seemed to be posting any of the b model!

I understand.

But 20Mo for 7 pictures, it is definitely far too much on a forum !

Agree, all fixed now :)

As to the function of the B model i would have to say poor, its the same with the crane truck, they look absolutly amazing, but don't move as well or as much as they should.

Best review of the 8258 set I've come across mate and great photos of it and videos are great,I managed to get one off ebay for £84.11 new and will be buying a second set to build the B model which looks great too,but I don't think I'll get another for the same price so I might have to pay the full £127 for it and I will make them both RC after Christmas when I have more money to do it.

Yup alternate is nice. If I wasn't so busy building the Seperatist Shuttle/Snow Groomer sets, I might consider doing the alternate.

I received my 8258 Crane Truck Yesterday and it took me about 10hrs to build 7 hours last night and 3 hours this morning because I spent most of the time rooting for bits in the bags as I had the box on a small table in front of me so I could sit on my comfy chair in the living room,and I had a great time building it and I am looking forward to building the B Model when I get my second set in about 1 1/2 weeks time.

I still have all the stickers to put on and I am going to make it RC after Christmas.

Here are three photos of my near completed Crane Truck.

016-Copy.jpg

017-Copy.jpg

018-Copy.jpg

Edited by DarkKnight

I still have all the stickers to put on and I am going to make it RC after Christmas.

Small Tip:

If you are using the stickers it is better to put them on during the building proces......

BTW:

Great kitchen..... :tongue:

Small Tip:

If you are using the stickers it is better to put them on during the building proces......

BTW:

Great kitchen..... :tongue:

All the parts the stickers go on are easy removable to put them on and won't take long to do.

But thanks for the tip anyway.

@DarkKnight:

Thanks for the pictures without the stickers. We usually don't use stickers (only on a few sets like 10188) due to bad experience with some old sets where we did apply the stickers - and stickers over multiple parts are a complete no go! Since our 8258 is still unbuild in its box its good to see how it looks without the stickers.

Funny fact: we recently bought 8448, 8466 and 8880 on ebay. All 3 with applied stickers - and all stickers in good-as-now-condition...

Edited by Lupus74