Mike Yates

Mega Bloks

Yes Mega Bloks are bad quality, but Lego doesn't have Hello Kitty. I need a few Kitties running around in my cities and castles so I have to buy Mega Bloks.

Thank goodness we don't have a poll to do with Mega Bloks.....it would be so heavy weighted towards hating it.....it's not funny ! :laugh:

You know what would be a good idea....a contest to convert MB designs into Lego built ones....to at least show the world the power of Lego ! :wink:

Brick On in Lego ! :grin:

I agree 100 %. Seriously, who could not agree? Lego's bricks are much stronger, the colors are much, uh... denser? What I'm trying to say is that Lego is much better than Megabloks, as many people can agree.

I don't. Unlike Lego, I don't have to take out a damn loan every time I want to buy a large Megabloks set.

I don't. Unlike Lego, I don't have to take out a damn loan every time I want to buy a large Megabloks set.

And why? You know why? Because of Megabloks cheap plastic! It's true, LEGO is a little bit expensive, but I would rather buy an expensive and strong LEGO set than a cheap and flimsy Megabloks set.

This is kind of sad. A topic on freaking MEGA BLOKS the first in a forum for Lego? Mega bloks are bad. That is my opinion. Period.

Actually, the community forum isn't really designed for Lego. It's more the non-Lego topics here, hence, the MegaBlocks thread. If you don't want to talk about MegaBlocks, don't post in this thread.. it's that simple.

And why? You know why? Because of Megabloks cheap plastic! It's true, LEGO is a little bit expensive, but I would rather buy an expensive and strong LEGO set than a cheap and flimsy Megabloks set.

Not everyone has the finances to be able to buy Lego. Count yourself lucky you can.

Edited by Jimbobulus

As much as I despise the quality of Megabloks, (their HQ is in Montreal, the city where I live!) I would find it interesting if someone posted a review of one of their set, in this thread.

I know 2 guys who used to work there. One is Pierre Normandin, famous for his town mocs, and he now works for Lego. The other guy used to be a forklift driver in their warehouse.

As much as I despise the quality of Megabloks, (their HQ is in Montreal, the city where I live!) I would find it interesting if someone posted a review of one of their set, in this thread.

I know 2 guys who used to work there. One is Pierre Normandin, famous for his town mocs, and he now works for Lego. The other guy used to be a forklift driver in their warehouse.

Uh, ''SheepEater'', this is a LEGO site, not a Megabloks site, so it would not make sense making a review of a Megabloks set.

Uh, ''SheepEater'', this is a LEGO site, not a Megabloks site, so it would not make sense making a review of a Megabloks set.

That's not true, we have plenty of Clone Brand reviews here in the Community forum. Anybody is welcome to make one and post it here, in it's own topic, just like any other review.

I disagree a bit, why not to walk with open eyes... it could bring inspiration, end evolution for us.

And anyway...:

:laugh:

That's not true, we have plenty of Clone Brand reviews here in the Community forum. Anybody is welcome to make one and post it here, in it's own topic, just like any other review.

Oh, I didn't know...

I disagree a bit, why not to walk with open eyes... it could bring inspiration, end evolution for us.

And anyway...:

:laugh:

Sorry, but I just registered some days ago and, yes, I've been on Eurobricks 2 years before registering, but I never saw a review of a clone brand.

Sorry, but I just registered some days ago and, yes, I've been on Eurobricks 2 years before registering, but I never saw a review of a clone brand.

Here's the index we have going, but I'm not sure how up to date it is. I recall some new reviews semi-recently that are probably not in there.

I make a point that whenever I come across a megablock, I do the honorable thing and through the thing in the direction of the bin :devil:

Oh, I didn't know...

No problem at all, there is no stupid question. :sweet:

Beijinho!

p.s.: altough Mega Bloks is just not my cup of tee - it is pure the "not matching quality for my taste" issue -, if i would buy some, i would still give them for children in need, instead of the bin. :wink:

Edited by agrof

I live in a country where Lego is so prohibitively expensive that sets like the Quinjet cost literally 20% of my monthly salary. So please dont tell me Lego is a "little bit expensive."

And no, I'm not a shift worker working minimum wage, I hold an LLB and a bachelors in commerce and work in one of the largest professional firms in the world.

And while it's beyond debate that Lego is superior in quality, AFOLs generally exegerate the level of difference. Every Megabloks set I've owned has held up fine, and the MB bricks that I use in my MOCs have done the job well enough.

Edited by Snark

For real? I mean I didn't get the nickname Queen of the Clone Brands from nowhere! The index is not up to date, I'll have to go in and smarten it up at some point but there are plenty of things in there.

I live in a country where Lego is so prohibitively expensive that sets like the Quinjet cost literally 20% of my monthly salary. So please dont tell me Lego is a "little bit expensive."

And no, I'm not a shift worker working minimum wage, I hold an LLB and a bachelors in commerce and work in one of the largest professional firms in the world.

And while it's beyond debate that Lego is superior in quality, AFOLs generally exegerate the level of difference. Every Megabloks set I've owned has held up fine, and the MB bricks that I use in my MOCs have done the job well enough.

Agreed! People seem to miss the point- no-one is trying to say Megablocks (or any other clone brand) is better. We are just trying to say that there are other more affordable options for other people. No-one forces us to buy other brands,so I dont see the need for hate. I personally love Lego, it is the best. But, that wont stop me from buying a different brand if there is an interesting set, or a good value looking set.

For real? I mean I didn't get the nickname Queen of the Clone Brands from nowhere! The index is not up to date, I'll have to go in and smarten it up at some point but there are plenty of things in there.

Aww poor Peppermint!! I have noticed your reviews :wub: That reminds me, other than the Toyrific reviews you have done, are you planning on doing any more? I have a few of their sets I was going to review, don't want to step on your toes if you have them in the pipeline though :classic:

Since I became staff I have kinda stepped back from reviewing sets. That and my source for sets is now eBay where I am less impulsive.

As it stands I have a big comparison on minifig accessories lined up and that's all. Feel free to fire off those reviews!

I think we as a community can agree that no matter how problematic Mega Bloks quality is, they perform a valuable function as one of TLG's main competitors in the building toy industry. Think about it: They serve as an affordable alternative to LEGO bricks, so the LEGO Group has to maintain superior quality if they want to continue charging higher prices. Additionally, Mega Bloks tends to play "follow-the-leader" with TLG's market strategies, like blind-packaged figures. This means that TLG can't just sit comfortably with the market strategies they already have-- they have to continue to create new innovations to maintain a competitive edge.

For us fans, they also serve another purpose. Any time Mega Bloks imitates something TLG is done, that's usually a good sign that TLG's actions have been successful. For instance, recently they announced they will be introducing Barbie licensed products. This is not their first girl-oriented theme (they've had Hello Kitty products before), but still it's pretty clear this was done in response to the LEGO Friends theme and the success it has encountered.

If Mega Bloks didn't exist, then other companies would surely grow to fill the void, and those companies might be a bit more unscrupulous than Mega Bloks. Mega Bloks at least tends to stick with its own unique molds for non-basic elements, unlike some clone brands I've seen on store shelves. Now, I wouldn't likely buy any Mega Bloks sets given my experience with them in the past, but I won't fault other people for buying them when LEGO might be above their means, or when they're specifically interested in a license LEGO doesn't carry.

Aanchir interesting post.

Do you think the World of Warcraft license was done as an answer to Lord of the Rings?

If I had the power, I'd close this thread down. My brain has been contaminated by M**a B***s.

Nobody is forcing you to read this thread... :hmpf: