Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Perhaps the deal with POTC was the same as Cars2....two big waves instead of one.....we know which has been more popular - pirates always outsell racing cars. :pir_laugh2:

But how is Lego going to support two live action themes from Disney ? :pir-blush:

We shall see if this is true or not next year ? :pir-wink:

Not true. If you look at other merchandise in toy stores, racecar toys are almost always there. Pirate toys? Not so much. In fact, Disney's Cars has been an excellent merchandise mover, with products on toy store shelves long after the first movie had left theaters. PotC, on the other hand, only really had products on shelves shortly before and shortly after a movie had been made.

True, PotC did vastly outsell Cars in theaters. But when you look at LEGO themes, you're looking at a far younger audience with very different tastes. I wouldn't be surprised if, assuming the PotC theme continues, it still won't have as many new sets as the Cars theme is continuing to churn out.

Dear Miguel

Thanks to get in touch with LEGO® Direct and for your interest in our products.

I wish to inform you about the Pirates of the Caribbean line , that it's currently taking place, and we've launched a new ship in November called "Black Pearl" and now we're producing other ships and play sets related to Jack Sparrow and his friends...

Is that "ships" as in multiple ships? Very interesting indeed. Maybe there will be two Flying Dutchman sets in 2012 (one Spongebob and one PotC)!

I'm not sure why they would just tell you this,

but it sounds promising nonetheless.

My only problem with this is that it would lower the possibility of a LOTR theme if it is true.

It's just strange how all the news for the next waves of 2012's themes is being held back, somehow. Last year, news hit the surface quite early,

now we have only had hints and 'confirmations' without (reliable?) sources so far. In this case, it may just be true, but there is no complete confirmation.

And, ships? They normally do not release two ships in the same wave, so if it is true we might want to expect more waves, which is less likely...

I'm looking forward to more news on POTC and all other themes, but it's been taking quite long so far.

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

I wouldn't mind some smaller craft for this theme. Everyone likes a dinghy with a sail, right? :pir-blush:

PotC, on the other hand, only really had products on shelves shortly before and shortly after a movie had been made.

True, but then Pirates in general has been a strong theme for Lego, so they might feel they can sell more sets under the PotC banner knowing they will appeal to both fans of the movies and kids just wanting to play pirates with Lego. That's probably not something that applies quite so generally across other toy lines (anybody ever see generic pirate action figures?)

I'd really like this to be true! If there's really multiple ships in production I just hope we don't have to wait until november for the Dutchman.

I wouldn't mind some smaller craft for this theme. Everyone likes a dinghy with a sail, right? :pir-blush:

I know I'd buy it! Who doesn't like 'swooshing' around a dinghy that's in the middle of a huge storm? Mad fun, right there. :pir-oh3:

Oh, and another note on that;

It simply states that there are sets being produced right now, and that it's currently still going on, so they're merely speaking of the wave we already had,

plus the recent release of the Black Pearl. Which means that they are, like with all themes, going to keep on producing the already-released sets for now before they'd be discontinued. They're not just going to tell you whether's a theme going to continue or not like that.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, guys, this theme is most likely over.

This is just one of those typical responses you could expect from LEGO's Customer Service.

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

Well I think it slightly went up in probability, just slightly though :pir-grin:

Really? What stores, I've love to stock up on these. I see them fully stocked in Wal Mart and Target, all at full price, plus the Black Pearl barely came out.

Walmart and Target both had most of the sets with the clearance tags such as the QAR, white cap bay, I didn't see London Escape that was still full price.

unusual I thought aswell.

Well I think it slightly went up in probability, just slightly though :pir-grin:

Walmart and Target both had most of the sets with the clearance tags such as the QAR, white cap bay, I didn't see London Escape that was still full price.

unusual I thought aswell.

I bought black pearl 4184 for $60 last week at costco and there was a few left.

Edited by Legacy Man

I believe that there will be a fifth Pirates movie, so Lego might continue the Pirates line at least until that time. In the meantime, they might make a few sets from the first three films (wouldn't it be nice to see the Dauntless in LEGO!), because the fourth film was successful, so I don't think that LEGO will give up so easily.

About the fifth film:

Fifth film

Edited by Horatio

Yes the fifth movie is on the way and I wish the sets will continue!

Edited by MstrOfPppts

With possible further films Lego would be mad to drop a pirate theme like this and if the fifth film is released in 2013 then The Avengers would be a 2012 gap filler in the Disney-Lego partnership. :pir-wink:

Yes more POTC sets are on there way. I have just been to my local Lego store and was talking about LOTR and they revealed that there will be a few more POTC sets including the Flying Dutchman which I was shown a picture of. It looks large and detailed. They seemed very open about it, so can't be long till an official confirmation by Lego is announced.

Yes more POTC sets are on there way. I have just been to my local Lego store and was talking about LOTR and they revealed that there will be a few more POTC sets including the Flying Dutchman which I was shown a picture of. It looks large and detailed. They seemed very open about it, so can't be long till an official confirmation by Lego is announced.

What were the minifigures?

I only hope for

- the pufferfish henchman Koleniko or Jimmy Legs

- Wyvern

- Cutler Beckett

- Mr. Mercer

- (maybe an extra East Indian Trading Company Soldier)

- Cpt. Jack Sparrow

- Davy Jones himself

How I can dream :P

Edited by Cammo

I only hope for

- the pufferfish henchman Koleniko or Jimmy Legs

- Wyvern

- Cutler Beckett

- Mr. Mercer

- (maybe an extra East Indian Trading Company Soldier)

- Cpt. Jack Sparrow

- Davy Jones himself

How I can dream :P

Damn, somebody's a real POTC fan! I don't remember anyone on that list except the last two.

I'm glad to hear the theme is continuing. A large Dutchman sounds great. I wonder if it's large like the QAR or large like the IFS!

I've got the Pearl and the QAR wrapped up by the Christmas tree right now. :thumbup: Only 8 more days until Christmas!

Damn, somebody's a real POTC fan! I don't remember anyone on that list except the last two.

I'm glad to hear the theme is continuing. A large Dutchman sounds great. I wonder if it's large like the QAR or large like the IFS!

I've got the Pearl and the QAR wrapped up by the Christmas tree right now. :thumbup: Only 8 more days until Christmas!

I'm actually addicted to the music. My 'addiction' started 2 years ago. Then the new movie came along and now PotC is the start of my lego collection after my dark ages. :pir-tongue:

The QaR and BP are an ideal Christmas present. Too bad I got them all during the summer break but now that the rumour of a second wave has started, I really can't wait to see the new list of the new wave.

Hey Zeya, I´m a great fan of this line too! We are now four!... I think that the new info about this new wave will come out before Christmas, and I hope that those new sets include some new English and Spanish soldiers and officers, and some crewmen of the Black Pearl...

Regards!

We want some more infos about the new sets...please

Do you want me to make stuff up? We can't report on anything until we hear about it.

Like Big Cam said, there is no info or details yet. All I saw was small pic in a sort of catalog which showed a large Flying Dutchman set. Like I said, the store employees were very open about it, saying thats the only set they have seen but there are also some other new sets along with it. Their exact word's when I asked about POTC was: 'We know about a large set based on that ship that comes out of the water'

So I said 'you mean the Flying Dutchman'

'Yes that's the one'

The fact that they were open about it makes me think that it will be officially confirmed and shown pretty soon.

I am not going to give a description of what I saw, its down to Lego to release the pics and details, not me.

I would probably assume that there will be one more wave of POTC sets, and the theme will finish with the Dutchman as the large exclusive set.

This is good news! Thanks for sharing Derfel Cadarn.

Can't wait for a new wave of sets! :pir-sweet:

Totally agree with you Walter... I hope the arrive of an East Trading Company set! :D

Edited by LegoIndy

Totally agree with you Walter... I hope the arrive of a East Trading Company set! :D

oh that would be sweet we need to see more civilian and soldier type sets we got plenty of the main characters already :shark: