pranas

Disney buys out Lucasfilm

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/exclusive-no-more-star-wars-3d-prequel-releases-lucasfilm-passes-to-focus-on-new-trilogy/

It's too bad, had they started with the original trilogy they would have made a ton of money, but instead they gauged the performance of 3D releases on arguably the worst of the six films.

Anyways, this could have a effect on Episode 2 and 3 sets going forward.

With as far in advance as they plan and produce sets I'm sure the line-up will stay the same for this year. 2014 might see a revision though.

It's too bad, had they started with the original trilogy they would have made a ton of money, but instead they gauged the performance of 3D releases on arguably the worst of the six films.

I half disagree with that. Hardcore fans don't like the changes made to the original trilogy so that probably would have pulled the numbers down a little anyway (They still would have been better than the TPM box office though). And even casual fans see it as shameful money grabbing so I feel like a 3D release was never going to be as successful as Lucas would like to think.

Expect a stronger TCW presence in the line up, at least until it can be replaced by newer subjects.

:ugh:

No, just no.

All posts regarding Disney's decision not to release any more movies in 3D have been moved here. I think it's inevitable that the discussion will eventually turn to speculation about future sets and the reasoning behind Disney's decision, and it's better to have it all here in one thread about Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm instead of it being in its own topic (which would usually belong in Culture and Multimedia) or it being borderline off-topic in the rumors thread (which is intended for discussion of rumors with a source, not of speculation about possible, likely, or hoped-for sets and wishlists).

About the money, I agree that the OT in 3D would've made more money than the PT in 3D, but like strangely said, most of the 'OT-only-fans' that would go to see the OT and not the PT in 3D don't like the changes that have been made to the OT anyways. Better for Disney to attract the newer and/or 'non-OT-only-fans' with some new movies, and though I think it's unlikely, my hope is that their solution to appealing to the OT fans after the cancellation of the OT in 3D movies is to release the original theatrical editions, in better quality than the '06 DVDs that were taken from the old Laserdisc releases.

Anyways, this could have a effect on Episode 2 and 3 sets going forward.

I think the differences in how the two series were filmed was a limiting factor. The PT was shot entirely digitally, making it viable to do a 3d conversion well after the fact. The OT was shot on film, with no thoughts to 3d in mind. If we thought the Special Edition changes were bad, we would be horrified at what they would have to do to our beloved movies to make them 3d.

Better for Disney to attract the newer and/or 'non-OT-only-fans' with some new movies, and though I think it's unlikely, my hope is that their solution to appealing to the OT fans after the cancellation of the OT in 3D movies is to release the original theatrical editions, in better quality than the '06 DVDs that were taken from the old Laserdisc releases.

Agreed. I personally don't have a problem with filmmakers revisiting and fine tuning their work (Not all changes are bad, just some) so long as the originals are readily available in a high quality format.

One other bit of news. Cartoon Networks list of shows was released today, and noticeably absent was The Clone Wars. So as far as CN is concerned TCW is cancelled. However word is that work has already begun on TCW season 6, and Disney is taking it over to air on Disney XD.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/01/28/star-wars-clone-wars-moving-to-disney-lego-yoda-specials-at-cartoon-network/

Yoda chronicles will apparently stay with CN.

Hopefully the OT 3D will come out after the new films, any they have spent some time making proper SE of them rather than the not even half-arsed versions.

For gods sake Lucas Films, how hard is it to re-rotoscope and re-colour the OT lightsabres, fans on a vastly inferior budget manage it.

One other bit of news. Cartoon Networks list of shows was released today, and noticeably absent was The Clone Wars. So as far as CN is concerned TCW is cancelled. However word is that work has already begun on TCW season 6, and Disney is taking it over to air on Disney XD.

http://comicbook.com...artoon-network/

Yoda chronicles will apparently stay with CN.

How long could that war possibly go on. I liked the show in the beginning but for me it's overstayed it's welcome.

As for the Yoda Chronicles I'm glad that it's finally going to air somewhere. Hopefully this time it actually airs. It is sort of baffling the path that this things has gone on. First we all thought it was a book, then a web series, now 3 specials. I can only wonder what the next step in it's evolution will be. At least we're getting some good sets and a book out of it.

I like that they've filled in the gap from ep2 to ep3, but yah, it's starting to run into ROTS, so I'm not surprised Clone Wars will be winding down. I seem to recall them saying originally they would start with 100 episodes and decide from there if there's enough material to go on.

How long could that war possibly go on. I liked the show in the beginning but for me it's overstayed it's welcome.

It's not outside the realm of possibilities, given how much the show jumps around in time, that TCW could leapfrog over or around RotS and do a story arc or two from right the Emperors rise.

I won't lie, I'm a little bummed the 3D releases got cancelled, and this is coming from someone who hates 3D films (they hurt my eyes) and thinks Episode II was the worst of the bunch. It was just nice having Star Wars in theaters again and being in the public eye. It was nice walking around town and seeing giant billboards and bus stop ads for Episode I. Even if it was one of the weaker films, seeing Star Wars Episode I on the big screen made me feel like a kid again and I was looking forward to feeling that again five more times. Aw well.

I am a little surprised that Disney is doing this though since, in theory, the 3D conversions of Episodes 2 and 3 are already done, and were probably already started for the OT, and for a studio the size of Disney re-releasing a film in theaters like that probably costs them next to nothing. Also, you'd think they'd want to get all fist six episodes shown in theaters again in the lead up to Episode 7 in 2015.

I do feel bad for all the toy/collectable makers who have to plan and make all their products waaaaaay in advance. And they clearly did not know this was coming, since I think it was at the London Toy Fair just last week a toy company listed the schedule of when the remaining episodes would be coming out in 3D. But they are all now stuck with a bunch of Episode II and III themed product that most likely will not sell as well without a theatrical release to go along with it. Maybe it won't be as bad as it could be since Episode II and the Clone Wars cartoon overlap a little as far as vehicles, Jedi, and clones go, and they can market their Episode II products that way. But still, overall it's gotta stink for them.

Not sure how this will all effect LEGO, since I don't know how far ahead they have to have to have their product line-up set in stone, but I'm going to guess that if the winter 2014 sets were going to be AOTC and/or ROTS themed, they are going to stay that way since it's probably too late to change them at this point. But any plans they had after that are probably being re-shuffled as we speak. That also means we now probably won't be getting any ANH, ESB, or ROTJ themed waves for when those movies would have been re-released. I'm sure a lot of us OT fans on here will be bummed out about that one. And those OT waves would have probably been our last good chance to get OT sets, since after 2015 all LEGO sets are most likely going to shift focus to the new movies for a long while.

But hey, one good thing that did come out of these 3D releases, LEGO-wise, is that we got a bunch of Episode I LEGO sets we never would have gotten otherwise. So that's something, I guess. Say what you will about Jar Jar (he's a horrible, horrible character), he does make for one awesome minifig! :laugh:

It does make me sad that we won't see Ep 2 and 3 in theaters. In a lot of ways I actually think the 3D re-release actually helped boost the opinion of TPM. The two times I saw it people were actually laughing at Jar Jar's jokes rather than booing. Granted he's not a good character, but people shift an excessive amount of hate on him (He was the comedic relief and barely played a part in the movie, it's not that hard to ignore him).

At the same time though I'm a bit relieved I won't have to see Hayden Christensen's awful acting in episodes 2 and 3 (I cannot communicate how much he ruined those movies, people can complain about Jake Llyod all we want, but we all know that what Hayden did to the prequels was much worse (He should have known better, Lucas too)).

But hey, one good thing that did come out of these 3D releases, LEGO-wise, is that we got a bunch of Episode I LEGO sets we never would have gotten otherwise. So that's something, I guess.

Agreed. For me it has some of the best vehicles and locations in it (Of the prequels) and yet we hardly ever get sets based on it. Though I'm still waiting for a Theed palace set and the Naboo Royal starship (I don't need it to be chrome, grey works for me).

Oh man, the nerd war between Star Wars and Star Trek is going up a few notches now that JJ Abrams is going to be directing Ep. VII. :tongue:

As for a George Lucas-less Star Wars? I'll keep an open mind.

Well, Lucas is getting replaced by JJ Abrams. But I do think it won't be the same.

Edited by DuncanBulk98

Pro: no more dumb Jar Jar jinx

Con: lens flare galore

Abrams has admitted the amount of flare on Star Trek was egregious. It's bound to be at least dialed down in VII

Well, it's been confirmed by Disney's CEO that there will actually be 6 new films. We'll get Episodes 7, 8, and 9 then we'll also see spin-off films based on individual characters.

I'm personally interested to see how all these films will be done, but it feels like this was inspired by the way superhero movies are being done at the moment, One Film with all the characters, followed by movies centered around one individual character. This will have a great effect on lego products though as I think we can eaisly expect to see a mass amount of new fil sets, and probally a small amount of PT/CW based sets and probally one or two OT sets a year if we're lucky. So I hopefully next year lego will release a lot of large OT and PT based set. I'll I want in the end is one spin off movie based off of Boba Fett :head_back:

Well, it's been confirmed by Disney's CEO that there will actually be 6 new films. We'll get Episodes 7, 8, and 9 then we'll also see spin-off films based on individual characters.

I'm personally interested to see how all these films will be done, but it feels like this was inspired by the way superhero movies are being done at the moment, One Film with all the characters, followed by movies centered around one individual character. This will have a great effect on lego products though as I think we can eaisly expect to see a mass amount of new fil sets, and probally a small amount of PT/CW based sets and probally one or two OT sets a year if we're lucky. So I hopefully next year lego will release a lot of large OT and PT based set. I'll I want in the end is one spin off movie based off of Boba Fett :head_back:

Reports are that the first "spin off" subject will be Yoda. So a Yoda back story movie of some sort.

As far as Disney following the Super Hero model? We can only hope. Disney has the people that did that right. (Marvel). They have experience in the Star Wars universe of sorts. One hopes Disney chooses to use them for it.

I wasn't too crazy about all the spin-offs that Marvel did, they all had a "B" movie feel to me. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the way The Avengers turned out. Overall the approach that was taken for the Marvel franchise worked and paid off. I'm not convinced that this will work with Star Wars. I remain very optimistic though.

I wasn't too crazy about all the spin-offs that Marvel did, they all had a "B" movie feel to me. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the way The Avengers turned out. Overall the approach that was taken for the Marvel franchise worked and paid off. I'm not convinced that this will work with Star Wars. I remain very optimistic though.

Right. Not all the Marvel characters are cut out for their own movies. Same with Star Wars, as long as they focus on interesting characters and stories, they will probably do fine. Perhaps a Boba Fett movie would be interesting, but it has to overcome the hurdle of everyone knowing any danger he faces, he will survive.

Right. Not all the Marvel characters are cut out for their own movies. Same with Star Wars, as long as they focus on interesting characters and stories, they will probably do fine. Perhaps a Boba Fett movie would be interesting, but it has to overcome the hurdle of everyone knowing any danger he faces, he will survive.

We'll see soon enough with the Boba Fett film just announced.

I'm more excited for the Han Solo movie myself.

I think in 2015 though we'll see Lego move away from the CW sets and we'll probably see a reduction in the other movie based sets. I think most of the prequels will probably get reduced as to the amount of sets we see (I'd say Lego will try to keep a couple of prequel sets in circulation each year). As for the OT we'll probably see a reduction in Ep 4 and 6 sets (Since we've seen a great deal of sets concentrated on that over the years and admittedly all the core variations and locations pretty much exist in Lego right now, except for a couple of exceptions). I think Ep 5 may see the most amount of sets in the future just because the spin off characters were all featured in this particular installment the most (Plus there's been a lack of sets on anything other than Hoth). Undoubtedly we're going to see a big focus on the new movies for the 2015 line forward.

I guess Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher have been signed on to play there roles as Han, Luke and Leia in the Episode VII film. I'm pretty excited personally to see what J.J. Abrams has instore with this new film since he siad it would be completely different form the EU stories, but I personally think it will foccus on Han and Leia children as well as other supproting characters completely new to to the Star Wars universe.

They cancelled the clone wars(my favorite show) so I'm little next to done with disney.

The Avengers was epic, so that's a plus.

The only thing I'm looking for is Captain America weilding a light saber lol!

Along these line are Hawkeye as a Jedi during the Clone Wars with a company

of Windu's purple legion!

AH, wishful thinking!

I think Detours has been shelved along with many other projects. They don't want them to get in the way of their new vision for the SW franchise.

Honestly, I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I absolutely can't get excited by all this, even now that we know the original cast will be returning. What's happening right now is what I feared was gonna happen after Lucas's death: Hollywood milking this franchise till everyone gets sick of it.

Absolutely nothing I've heard since Disney bought Lucasfilm has gotten me excited or even remotely interested. I hate Abrams as a director and I find his movies are incredibly overrated. I don't know if he understands SW but he sure as hell didn't understand Star Trek.

Sure the original cast is returning but there's no way Disney is gonna make a trilogy with 60 yo main characters... which means they'll probably just serve as secondary characters or foils for a younger generation of actors. I'm not sure I want to see that, and if the History of cinema has taught us anything, it's that it never works (Indy 4 is a perfect example).

Also, comparing Star Wars with Marvel is a wrong way to look at it IMO. What they did with Marvel is basically create a new universe with no implications for the source material (the comics) whatsoever since it's not even in the same media. If the Marvel films suck, they won't affect the source material. The same can't be said for Star Wars as they plan to make direct sequels to the existing films.

Besides, if The Avengers is a commercial success, it's still a rather average film... but then of course, that's not what matters for Hollywood.

Edited by Elrond