Brick de-yellowing techniques

Next step shall be an acid solution...

:-D

Why not, whatever gets the job done.

And I just love dangerous experiments! *skull*

:-D

Why not, whatever gets the job done.

And I just love dangerous experiments! *skull*

Lets just hope the acid solution isnt vinegar and NatriumHypochlorite, or things could get pretty messy. ;-)

Bonaparte, I really look forward to your science results. I hope the parts come out white again :-) .

I have found a use for the faded pieces though. For all you "Train" modelers out there, they come in handy for the "weathered" look. For the "model railroad" builders, there are special paints to make locomotives & railcars look faded and old. But the nice thing about sun-faded Lego parts, we don't need such paints to make models look old. Just use those faded bricks for that "used" look. I use this concept for my "Train" models and they look *sweet* .

Model On!!

Day 2 (after 24 hours):

I switched to another fluid after 4 hours because I was uncertain what effect the NatriumHypochloriet would have on the Lego.

I'll try again later with NatriumHypochloriet on a less important part than my airplane wings.

Now I'm using this:

chloor-day-1-02.jpg

And here is a first result after 24 hours of de-yellowing:

chloor-day-1-01.jpg

This is going in the right direction!

I've also added this to the first post to have a complete overview.

Chemistry ON !!!

In fact, you still use the same stuff in a lower grade. To add water would have given the same solution ! :-P

Since it is unstable and highly explosive :-X , sodium hypochlorite (NatriumHypochlorite) is NEVER commercially available in a pure state - especially (or may be) to protect people like you ! *skull*, but sometimes I really wonder why ... :-D

It always comes as an aqueous solution ... commonly known as bleach (javel).

As it is unstable, the grade is lowering as time goes by. In short, you should renew the bath from time to time.

Nice experiment going on here.

I had the same problem with my wing-pieces, one out of two from the same set yellowed badly, the other one did not. Strange.

However I have the perfect solution to your problem, it worked for me: buy some new wings of Bricklink, they are only 7 cents a piece.... :-D

In fact, you still use the same stuff in a lower grade. To add water would have given the same solution ! :-P

Since it is unstable and highly explosive :-X , sodium hypochlorite (NatriumHypochlorite) is NEVER commercially available in a pure state - especially (or may be) to protect people like you ! *skull*, but sometimes I really wonder why ... :-D

People like me? I'm still alive. 8-|

We use that stuff all the time for our swimming pool.

As long as you don't drink it or get it in your eyes you are quite safe.

But I was a bit afraid that the pure NatriumHypochlorite would eat the actual plastic because it is such a strong substance.

That's why I switched to Javel for now.

But I will do more experiments in the future *skull*

It's a lot of fun!

Don't try this stuff at home ;-)

However I have the perfect solution to your problem, it worked for me: buy some new wings of Bricklink, they are only 7 cents a piece.... :-D

The wings are only a first test.

If the procedure works then I have a small box of yellowed pieces that all need this treatment.

People like me? I'm still alive. 8-|

God (or the Emperor) bless you, Bonaparte.

We use that stuff all the time for our swimming pool.

1) Suggestions : you should swim with your Lego

2) Question : Are YOU de-yellowed ? :-D

I think the real question is how could you let your Lego get THAT yellowed! :-P

I think the real question is how could you let your Lego get THAT yellowed! :-P

I was young and didn't know the effects of the sun on Lego...

I'll post some new pics one of these days.

The experiment is still ongoing.

I was young and didn't know the effects of the sun on Lego...

I'll post some new pics one of these days.

The experiment is still ongoing.

Excuses, Excuses! :-P

Seruiouslt though, I am interested in the results of your intriguing experiment. :-)

I love your experiments, and this one is going great! :-D I can't wait for the next episode. *sweet*

The experiment is now ongoing for 19 days, so it's time for an update.

This is what the the airplane wing looks like today:

day19.jpg

I'm hoping that in another 10 days the process is completed.

Once that is confirmed, I'll do this on a bigger scale with a entire box of yellowed (previously white) pieces.

Great and very useful experiment Bonaparte ! *y* Proficiaat ;-)

Keep up the good work and let us know until which point we can get rid of the yellowing effect ! X-O

Just one question : did you 'refresh' the Javel at some point ? I mean, adding more after some time elapsed or even changing the whole solution ? I believe if you don't, its whitening power decreases and would eventually stop ?!

Edited by shunlabs

Just one question : did you 'refresh' the Javel at some point ? I mean, adding more after some time elapsed or even changing the whole solution ? I believe if you don't, its whitening power decreases and would eventually stop ?![/color]

I didn't refresh the javel yet.

I was thinking about refreshing it because now it seem to go rather slow.

haha bonaparte you're a crazy guy ;-) chloor en bleekwater? :-P

Someone at BeLUG got results of dewhitening by using oxy-vanish (you know the pink box with the annoying coin commercials etc.) and laying it in there for 6 weeks I thought...

This seems to be working better, but it's more dangerous...

TT

Bonaparte, Bonaparte... Why do you always take the hard way? Just take a big can of white paint, drop in all your yellowed bricks and voila! That's like 10 times quicker and easier.

19 days, that's quite long! Well, anyway, your experiment is coming along quite nicely. If this is a succes, do you plan to use the same stuff on your other yellowed bricks?

is there a quicker way of whitening? 19 days is kinda long on whites though. if it was on colored pieces it might be worth while. :-P let me know how it goes. i got some whites to whiten as well.

19 days, that's quite long! Well, anyway, your experiment is coming along quite nicely. If this is a succes, do you plan to use the same stuff on your other yellowed bricks?

Yes, I'll use it on a small box full of white (yellowed) bricks.

is there a quicker way of whitening? 19 days is kinda long on whites though.

I wish I knew a faster way. Maybe by changing the fluid every couple of days.

For making it faster I need something stronger... and more dangerous *skull*

Doesnt bleech make the plastic more brittle? Any signs of that in your experiment?

I've seen no signs of that. But I'll have a closer look the next time I take some pictures.

Hmm...I would only use this for special, large pieces - on smaller ones the yellowing isn't that noticeable and yellowed grey and white bricks can be used for different colours in mosaics, textured walls e.t.c...

Are we due for an update? - The wing on 19 days isn't completely de-yellowed...

You could try it on grey parts.

SlyOwl

For making it faster I need something stronger... and more dangerous *skull*

Hydrochloric acid? *skull*

This is one of the better results I've seen. *y*

Hydrochloric acid? *skull*

This is one of the better results I've seen. *y*

HCl doesn't reverse oxidization. HCl dissolves plastic. so you end up with liquid abs if you did that.