Badsneaker

eBay user sells instructions for other builder's MOCs

It seems to me that the guy is only using pictures that doesn't

include a designers' signature or logo. Perhaps that could be one

way of avoiding being 'used' by this guy?...

You should always use a watermark if you're worried about being copied.

I found this discussion in another thread and thought it could use it's own.

I found this discussion in another thread and thought it could use it's own.

Don't you hate it when people judge you on your spelling rather than your intillect! :snicker:

Don't you hate it when people judge you on your spelling rather than your intillect! :snicker:

No. I love it. :tongue:

I would think this guy was really clever if he was selling instructions to his own designs. This gives me the great idea of selling instructions of my own... :look:

But, in the mean time, what a complete douchebag.

Nightmarrish reading!!!

It´s also disheartening to see that the E-bay seller is still going strong, despite the long-time indignation from people all around. *ALL* of us are to blame a little for allowing it to go on (I say this intenting to adapt a PRACTICAL view on things), instead of strengthening our own protection (like including watermarks, titles and names in the photos, as already mentioned in this thread) and writing emails to E-bay and this E-bay scammer-guy.

It can hapen to ANY of us at any moment, and I am certainly guilty of doing... -nothing- in order to protect myself.

So... Note to self; -Include name and watermark in photos!

Thanks for the info, please keep the thread updated!

I was just considering starting a new thread about this after you mentioned that the subject could use a thread of its own, Hinckley, but now I'll just add to this one instead :)

Here you can see which instructions that are currently up for sale on miran0620's eBay page.

He's still selling instructions for Jamie Berard's Town Hall, shutinc's Wax Museum, and jaredchan's Arc de Triomphe, but he's replaced the original photos (that were not his) with rendered images of his own recreations. Now, morally, that might be just as bad, but legally, he's much more on dry land now than he was before.

I suspect, though, that the only reason why he's done this is that the original creators behind these buildings are the only ones who's been bugging him about them. He's still using photos to sell other buildings, and given his history I don't think it's unfair to assume that these other buildings were also made by other people, and are 'stolen' like the three I mentioned. I'll post links to the auctions here, so hopefully, we can identify them and notify the original builders.

corner_cafe_small.jpg

"Corner Cafe"

police_station_small.jpg

"Police Station"

hardware_store_small.jpg

"Hardware Store"

lego_huge_train_station_small.jpg

"Lego Huge Train Station"

And then there's these, which I believe were built by a Japanese builder who calls him/herself Peachtree. I don't know how to get in touch with him/her, though, so if you do, please respond:

spanish_green_grocer_small.jpg

"Spanish Green Grocer"

corner_cafe_variant_small.jpg

"Corner Cafe Variant"

spanish_cafe_corner_small.jpg

"Spanish Cafe Corner"

The strange thing here is that he has to be reasonably skilled to pull off these reverse-engineering processes that are necessary to create instructions for buildings that he didn't build in the first place. So he's probably quite a good builder. He's just desperately low on imagination (and moral values).

EDIT: Changed links to ebay.com instead of ebay.com.sg - don't know why I ended up on the Singapore version in the first place... It's much easier to report items on ebay.com than on ebay.com.sg.

Edited by L@go

And while I'm at it, there's another one selling instructions for Peachtree's Spanish cafe:

spanish_cafe_corner_small.jpg

Lego Spanish Cafe

This seller, smpratte, has put a 'disclaimer' on the bottom of his auction page:

**These instructions where original made by "peachtree". If you message me about the seller in the Netherlands, they do not belong to him either. The original creator is "peachtree".**

Now, I may be jumping to conclusions here, but I very much doubt that Peachtree has ever made instructions for this - in that case, I'm quite certain that they would have surfaced somewhere else. So there's a chance that this is a double scam: Instructions for Peachtree's building, made by miran0620, sold by smpratte...

Obviously, if I'm proved wrong here I'll crawl in the dust and apologise to whomever necessary.

Edited by L@go

When I get home, I'm going to take my modular creations photograph them while removing pieces, until they're down to the baseplate. I will then re-size the images and post them in instruction order, create a pdf and post them on eBay. If you can't beat 'em...

And while I'm at it, there's another one selling instructions for Peachtree's Spanish cafe:

Lego Spanish Cafe

This seller, smpratte, has put a 'disclaimer' on the bottom of his auction page:

**These instructions where original made by "peachtree". If you message me about the seller in the Netherlands, they do not belong to him either. The original creator is "peachtree".**

Now, I may be jumping to conclusions here, but I very much doubt that Peachtree has ever made instructions for this - in that case, I'm quite certain that they would have surfaced somewhere else. So there's a chance that this is a double scam: Instructions for Peachtree's building, made by miran0620, sold by smpratte...

Obviously, if I'm proved wrong here I'll crawl in the dust and apologise to whomever necessary.

As I said earlier, you can click the report link on the listing to report it as selling a digital e-mailed copy is against ebay rules

Click report, select 'Listing practices', followed by 'Other listing practices' followed by 'digitally delivered goods'

Ebay do take notice and pull listings if enough people report them

When I get home, I'm going to take my modular creations photograph them while removing pieces, until they're down to the baseplate. I will then re-size the images and post them in instruction order, create a pdf and post them on eBay. If you can't beat 'em...

Now, that's a proper response (and a very labor-intensive one). I applaud!

And I just had a quick look at some of your old MOCs - from before I was a member or even a lurker at this site. There's a lot of good stuff there - but if I can make a request: I'll be first in line for instructions for that glorious Art Deco Movie Theater, if it's still around.

Now, that's a proper response (and a very labor-intensive one). I applaud!

And I just had a quick look at some of your old MOCs - from before I was a member or even a lurker at this site. There's a lot of good stuff there - but if I can make a request: I'll be first in line for instructions for that glorious Art Deco Movie Theater, if it's still around.

It is! Thank you. It's getting the most support of all of my projects on CUUSOO as well. Maybe I'll start with that one.

I found this advertisement on a dutch auction site. Maybe it's the same miran0620 (seems to be a dutchman too) or maybe just another person. But he is a lot cheaper, selling them all for € 15,- ($20).

We should do indeed something against that. Hmm that Dutch guy lives in my province.

one can give them a notice that it are stolen goods, the more of us that do that, the larger the chance they will put it down:

Direct link:

In strijd met de regels

- Uw tip wordt sneller verwerkt als u kunt verduidelijken wat er mis is. (We will respond to your tip earlier when we know for sure what is wrong).

- Verboden of verdacht object of dienst (meer informatie) (Forbidden or suspicious object or service)

- Misleidende advertentietitel, bv. merkvergelijking (meer informatie) (misleading title)

- Product reeds verkocht (already sold)

- Erotisch (erotic)

- Andere reden: (other reason)

(e.g. "copyrights infringements, stolen property").

We should do indeed something against that. Hmm that Dutch guy lives in my province.

:laugh: Break his kneecaps! :devil:

:laugh: Break his kneecaps! :devil:

I think....getting him drunk and having him stray into a gay bar would be a better pay-back. :devil::laugh:

'Hinckley' go for dude, I wish you luck....you own your design, nothing stopping you from making scratch from it. :wink:

I think....getting him drunk and having him stray into a gay bar would be a better pay-back. :devil::laugh:

:hmpf_bad: That's worse than having your kneecaps broken?

Man, I really hate that guy. I want to get him drunk and have him wander into a gay bar. Those gays will boost his self-esteem, play showtunes for him and cover him with glitter. That'll show him.

:tongue:

:angry:

:hmpf_bad: That's worse than having your kneecaps broken?

Man, I really hate that gay. I want to get him drunk and have him wander into a gay bar. Those gays will boost his self-esteem, play showtunes for him and cover him with glitter. That'll show him.

:tongue:

:angry:

Haven't you ever seen Police Academy.....and the Blue Oyster Bar....'Oh, I wished I wore my sailor suit' ! :iamded_lol::roflmao:

Haven't you ever seen Police Academy.....and the Blue Oyster Bar....'Oh, I wished I wore my sailor suit' ! :iamded_lol::roflmao:

Yes, thank you Police Academy for perpetuating the stereotype that gay men rape straight drunk men. That movie is nearing 30 years old.

Nowadays, whenever I go to a gay bar all I can think is "Turn the music down." :sceptic: I'm getting old. Also, I hate showtunes, Lady Gaga and glitter...

Yes, thank you Police Academy for perpetuating the stereotype that gay men rape straight drunk men. That movie is nearing 30 years old.

Nowadays, whenever I go to a gay bar all I can think is "Turn the music down." :sceptic: I'm getting old. Also, I hate showtunes, Lady Gaga and glitter...

Er, no *huh* ....there wasn't any raping going on in the movie :look: ....unless there is an uncut copy on a shelf somewhere ! :laugh:

Anyway, enough misdirection of the topic right ?

I bought the Town Hall instructions months ago before I even knew what was going on. Be happy to send them to anyone who wants them, although they are not correct in a few areas. Windows and columns mostly. I ended up using pics on Jamies public Brickshelf for reference to make my own and added my own touches here and there.

I bought the Town Hall instructions months ago before I even knew what was going on. Be happy to send them to anyone who wants them, although they are not correct in a few areas. Windows and columns mostly. I ended up using pics on Jamies public Brickshelf for reference to make my own and added my own touches here and there.

You can only publish them, if Jamie Berard allows you so. It is still his intellectual property.

You can only publish them, if Jamie Berard allows you so. It is still his intellectual property.

Yeah I guess you have a point there. Maybe Jamie might want to throw his 2 cents in on this. I have a strong feeling however the new Town Hall coming out will be the very one we are talking about here.

Edited by Badsneaker

well here is the reply from the seller himself

Hi,

It is the design of shutinc. And that is also stated in the building instruction. I have made the building instruction viewing the pictures which he posted. It is comparable to a painting of the Eiffel Tower that is being sold. While the painter is not the actual designer, he/she holds the rights to the painting. Nothing illegal here.

Best regards

- miran0620