Sign in to follow this  
Blackicep8ntball

Limited Edition 6212 X-Wing

Recently, Lego seems to be keeping sets out longer, which is certainly their right to do. They're catching more of the market that way, market segments that would otherwise be going to scalpers. However...

I have been a bit frustrated with how long the 6212 "Limited Edition" X-Wing has been out. Any good explanations why the "limited edition" set has been the longest running, continuously produced star wars set to date? It was released in 2006. Doesn't really seem "limited" now, does it.

I don't think "limited" refers to time. I think it refers to availability. In any case I think it's a good thing. Why is it bad?

I don't think "limited" refers to time. I think it refers to availability. In any case I think it's a good thing. Why is it bad?

Because they're too lazy to make a new version with better part usage and figs :sadnew:

Well, i do partly agree. I haven't 6212 yet and do not plan to getting it (unless i stumble across one special offer). Given the age of the design one gets led to believe that a redesign is just around the corner. For this i do wait and will then almost certainly buy it. It would just be sad to get the old by now only to see a better redesign a year later. Especially if one already has the included minifigs via other sets.

But more generally spoken, 6212 isn't bad the way it is. It is a good set. While the value (bricks/price) isn't any good in Europe, the model does still offer a lot. An already good design for the most iconic SW vehicle which is also featuring a bunch of key character-minifigs of the Saga. I'd say 6212 is the perfect starter set and also appetizing to get more. It would become even more interesting if there were some worthy OT adversaries around the corner. I am not speaking of EU thingies.

Because they're too lazy to make a new version with better part usage and figs :sadnew:

Yeah, there is that, but I'm sure they'll do a new one in time. At least it's available in some form; the lack of a minifig Millennium Falcon for the past few years has been annoying the begesies out of me! :laugh:

Yes.

But more generally spoken, 6212 isn't bad the way it is.

Nah.

An already good design for the most iconic SW vehicle

Never.

My views on this stated here.

I would say i was shocked at Fallenangels post..

... But i would be lying.

6212 isn't a bad set. sure there are inaccuracies, but so is every other set. IIt could easily be MOC'd. It's the most iconic set and other than 3p0 a good way to get the main cast relatively cheaply.

Oh and Wedge Antillies is in it. Wedge Antillies is awesome.

6212 isn't a bad set. sure there are inaccuracies, but so is every other set. IIt could easily be MOC'd. It's the most iconic set and other than 3p0 a good way to get the main cast relatively cheaply.

One member's opinion certainly doesn't reflect the majority's views.

I, too, don't think 6212 is a bad set at all, I actually see this as a good starting set to introduce a kid to the SW universe or simply to just rekindle an old passion for SW. It offers a pretty decent brickbuilt rendition of the iconic X-Wing (in the eyes of a normal 'not-too-nitpicky' LEGO fan), plus you get most of the main characters with the minifig line-up. I think the main reason it is still in production and still in the market is precisely because it's a good value set that sells and consistently brings in the dough for TLG - with or without the "Limited Edition" tag.

I fail to see the reason this is a bad thing.

One of the biggest annoyances that TLG does is not keep sets out long enough. The Collectible Fig's are a tribute to this.

One of the biggest annoyances that TLG does is not keep sets out long enough. The Collectible Fig's are a tribute to this.

I think System Star Wars sets can be exempt from that complaint seeing as we get rehashes of previous vehicles (regardless of whether or not people think that's a good thing). More often than not the rehashes are better than the originals, and they may even include better minifigures. With 6212 you'd think LEGO would bother to update the (ugly) design after 7 years (though I guess the new Falcon proves that LEGO's pretty much given up on Original Trilogy starships at this point). 4502 may have looked fine back in '04, but it looks pretty bad next to more recent designs. And I really don't get why minifigures are so popular, though that's just me.

@simonjedi: Correction - a generic Rebel pilot with Wedge Antilles' helmet is in it. As one AFOL put it, "$50 for a new helmet print..."

It kind of makes you wonder why they don't keep all the sets on longer. We should be able to walk into a Toys R Us in 2020 and pick up a shiny new 7161 Gungan Sub.

Edited by fallenangel309

One member's opinion certainly doesn't reflect the majority's views.

I, too, don't think 6212 is a bad set at all, I actually see this as a good starting set to introduce a kid to the SW universe or simply to just rekindle an old passion for SW. It offers a pretty decent brickbuilt rendition of the iconic X-Wing (in the eyes of a normal 'not-too-nitpicky' LEGO fan), plus you get most of the main characters with the minifig line-up. I think the main reason it is still in production and still in the market is precisely because it's a good value set that sells and consistently brings in the dough for TLG - with or without the "Limited Edition" tag.

I agree except for the value statement. 50 $ are good value, yes. Today's retailer prices of 70 to mostly 80 EUR [which in effect isn't far from being twice the price in $] is no good value IMO.

Guys, I agree that this is a decent set, or at least that it was in 2006. Is it movie accurate? No. Don't know of a single set, save maybe some UCS, that could be really considered "movie accurate". Heck, we're building supposedly advanced technology out of small plastic bricks. I'll take just a recognizable representation, and this is a fun one and it looks nice in person, IMO. Is the set overpriced? Eh... yeah, but what Star Wars Lego set isn't. Could it be improved? sure. I'm sure the set sells well and that it's a great entry level X-Wing, etc.

BUT what I'M wondering, and Siegfried hit on this: why, if it's the longest running set, is it labeled as "limited edition"? Siegfried, I agree that it could arguably be because it's limited in what retailer you can buy it from, but on reflection I don't think that makes sense. The dictionary definition of "limited edition" is limited edition is: "an edition of something such as a book, plate, etc., that is limited to a specified number." Now, maybe Lego is technically in line with that definition, their specified number was just one billion, and they just still haven't sold out. Maybe they meant something else, like only available from limited locations, but Lego hasn't labled all their other "exclusives" as limited edition, so I don't think that's it.

Why is it bad? I think it's shady marketing: people buy limited edition items because they believe they'll be somewhat rarer than the average item (think a limited edition print of a book). Also, I'm personally vested because I bought one thinking it would be something a little more special than the average Lego set.

I'm all for TLG producing a long running, entry level set that sells well, and I think the x-wing is the perfect candidate. I'm just not thrilled that they also label it "limited edition".

Edited by Blackicep8ntball

Personally, I find that 6212 doesn't really look that bad, it's a great value, has nearly all the OT hero minifigs, and it's an extremely iconic ship. Yes, it is somewhat inaccurate, but based on the fact that 4502 uses the same design, I'd say TLG has decided this is the perfect T-65 design for a System set and they're going to go the T-47 route and just keep minorly adjusting the design for color changes, in which case a remake of this set would probably only result in new minifigs.

And it's Limited Edition because it's a TRU exclusive.

The dictionary definition of "limited edition" is limited edition is: "an edition of something such as a book, plate, etc., that is limited to a specified number." Now, maybe Lego is technically in line with that definition, their specified number was just one billion, and they just still haven't sold out. Maybe they meant something else, like only available from limited locations, but Lego hasn't labled all their other "exclusives" as limited edition, so I don't think that's it.

I think that definition is a bit off, to call something a Limited Edition it only needs to be limited in some way. Now that is often by the number produced, but only be available in selected retailers is an equally valid constraint. Generally Lego have two such designations "Limited Edition" and "Special Edition" which are widely applied to sets only available from one toy store.

As to why they're still producing 6212, my guess is that it's still selling well enough. The X-Wing is pretty much the iconic Star Wars craft and it's coupled with a great selection of figures, it's a great set for getting started in Lego Star Wars even if it's not the most accurate build there is.

What facts are there that the 6212 i still in production? I mean I have seen it in TRU last year still on the shelf. However its existence on the shelves is not any indication of production run. TRU has a tendency to have exclusive items, take Transformers for example, that sit on the shelves WAAAAYYYY longer than they should.

I dont think it is a matter of the items still in production but rather People are not buying these items.

TRU has an exclusive transformer called Masterpiece Grimlock. It retails between $70-$80. Now the same toy was previously released in Japan. Slightly different accessories but basically the same toy. It retailed for double the price.

Now the intricacies of the collector market are varied and different. But the fact of the matter is, that this toy can still be found on the shelves of TRU.

I feel as though the X-wing was not that great a seller. Otherwise they would be flying off the shelves. Instead I think what we are seeing are left over stocks. Right now Clonewars is in the conscience of any kid who likes SW. Even for adults like myself, the Lego video game and the series drives my impulses to want CW related SW legos.

What facts are there that the 6212 i still in production? I mean I have seen it in TRU last year still on the shelf. However its existence on the shelves is not any indication of production run. TRU has a tendency to have exclusive items, take Transformers for example, that sit on the shelves WAAAAYYYY longer than they should.

I dont think it is a matter of the items still in production but rather People are not buying these items.

Definitely not. KimT said the last time he went to Billund, they had a new batch of 6212 sets in production.

@simonjedi: Correction - a generic Rebel pilot with Wedge Antilles' helmet is in it. As one AFOL put it, "$50 for a new helmet print..."

You could say the same about every X-wing pilot that's not Luke or Biggs. Most of them don't have any really anything worth making a new faceprint over.

We should be able to walk into a Toys R Us in 2020 and pick up a shiny new 7161 Gungan Sub.

Now you're just sarcastically over-exaggerating :hmpf:

I'm still puzzled as to why we have to discuss this set so often? :sceptic:

I guess it's still here because it's a classic and TLG is still making money on it.

Buy it or don't - but why get frustrated over it?

And it IS still in production as I've already stated somewhere else.

When I was at TLG's factory in the autumn last year it was being packed along with the January wave of sets.

Somebody please say "Nothing to see - move along!"

I'm still puzzled as to why we have to discuss this set so often? :sceptic:

I guess it's still here because it's a classic and TLG is still making money on it.

Buy it or don't - but why get frustrated over it?

And it IS still in production as I've already stated somewhere else.

When I was at TLG's factory in the autumn last year it was being packed along with the January wave of sets.

Somebody please say "Nothing to see - move along!"

KimT, not everyone on the site has seen every X-Wing discussion. I did a search in the archives before starting a thread on this, and didn't see one addressing my particular question. If you don't want to read about it, then as you say, move along.

I have just bought this set :classic: . I find it is good to keep such a classic ship for a longer time. For a person like me - who doesn't have many sets, this x-wing is very good option. It has fine parts to build some simple ship. The engine parts looks also great and I really can't find a set with four of them. Besides my favourite and first set was 7140 so I want to compare these two :sweet: .

I don't understand how it's not movie accurate. It looks a helluva lot like an X-Wing to me, I don't know how accurate you can get with Lego bricks. Just because it doesn't have a control panel here, or a little vent there, or the nose shape is approx. two degrees offor whatever, doesn't mean it doesn't look like an X-Wing.

I have to say, it's one of my favorite Lego sets of all time, and I'm glad it's still being produced because I never would've gotten the chance to get it (back in 2008) if it hadn't been.

I wish TLG would do this with more of their "best sets", but I know it's expensive and there's not enough shelf space to accomodate years worth of Lego (there's barely enough for one year's :laugh:).

Now you're just sarcastically over-exaggerating :hmpf:

Hey, why not?

I actually see this as a good starting set to introduce a kid to the SW universe or simply to just rekindle an old passion for SW. It offers a pretty decent brickbuilt rendition of the iconic X-Wing Bongo (in the eyes of a normal 'not-too-nitpicky' LEGO fan)' date=' plus you get most of the main characters with the minifig line-up[/quote']

If you go with this justification 7161 is just as great a set as 6212.

The engine parts looks also great and I really can't find a set with four of them.

Nah.

I don't understand how it's not movie accurate. It looks a helluva lot like an X-Wing to me, I don't know how accurate you can get with Lego bricks. Just because it doesn't have a control panel here, or a little vent there, or the nose shape is approx. two degrees offor whatever, doesn't mean it doesn't look like an X-Wing.

:angry: Could we please not get into this again? Besides, there's already a thread for this.

:angry: Could we please not get into this again? Besides, there's already a thread for this.

You started it. The original question was just why a set called 'Limited Edition' has been around for five years.

You started it. The original question was just why a set called 'Limited Edition' has been around for five years.

And now I'm stopping it, see.