Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Remember in the new Lego game we will see what all of our favorite characters will look like in Lego :pir_laugh2:

Hopefully some of them will appear in future waves, if there are future waves

But come on, they needed to at least make a Tia Dalma or Davy Jones :pir-cry_happy:

Ah, the cardinal rule of Lego: Never not buy what you might regret not buying later.

(In the real world, the cardinal rule would be less confusingly worded)

:wacko:

If I'm following the way you're thinking, then yes, I agree. The main reason is because I didn't find many sets while they were actually out, but these are better. I prefer flesh minifigs in most cases anyway.

Hmm, I wonder what the posters will be. Not that I'm that interested, of course. Will they all be the same, or maybe posters of the sets themselves?

Edited by Delta 38

Be nice to know if LEGO and Disney actually put some effort into recreating the historical QAR, or if it's just a "make something up that looks cool regardless of plausibility and slap the name on it", another case of Dr. Malcolm's snark about "...you've patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunch pail and now you're selling..."

[voice=Albert Einstein, C&C: Red Alert intro]"Time vill tell. Sooner or later, time vill tell..."[/voice]

AFAIK, the Pirates timeline, including OST, takes place between 1720 and 1750, after both the running aground of the QAR and the death of the historical Blackbeard in 1718. So I don't think historical accuracy is on Disney's plate (and TLG's, by extension, since their designs are based on what's in the film.)

Awesome Jurassic Park reference, BTW.

Edited by punkkid364

Be nice to know if LEGO and Disney actually put some effort into recreating the historical QAR, or if it's just a "make something up that looks cool regardless of plausibility and slap the name on it", another case of Dr. Malcolm's snark about "...you've patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunch pail and now you're selling..."

[voice=Albert Einstein, C&C: Red Alert intro]"Time vill tell. Sooner or later, time vill tell..."[/voice]

Highly doubtful that they are going for anything like a realistic approach, as the real QAR was by most reports a 200-ton sloop and the ship in the movie is being billed as a galleon (much larger and very different construction style and rigging). Disney have little use for realism in these stories.

Be nice to know if LEGO and Disney actually put some effort into recreating the historical QAR, or if it's just a "make something up that looks cool regardless of plausibility and slap the name on it"

Well, do these two ships look similar?

Realistic drawing/cutaway of an 18th Century flyute, as might be expected for the historical ship:

http://www.bigbluetech.net/big-blue-tech-news/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/qarcut.gif

Picture of the 'galleon' QAR from the new movie's publicity shots:

http://www.comingsoon.net/nextraimages/queenannesrevenge.jpg

Nothing about Pirates of the Caribbean or LEGO Pirates is historically accurate or plausible. It's always been about what looks cool. Why should it be any different for their version(s) of Blackbeard's ship? (Particularly a Blackbeard that leads a zombie crew--you know that can't be historically accurate. :pir-sweet: )

The fact that both LEGO and POTC have Jolly Roger flying pirates fighting European soldiers inspired by the late 18th century British navy is about as blatant an anachronism as you can get. It's like having modern-day British soldiers fighting against the forces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

TC

Edited by TalonCard

Particularly a Blackbeard that leads a zombie crew--you know that can't be historically accurate.

Now who's being naive? :pirate_skel1:

Nothing about Pirates of the Caribbean or LEGO Pirates is historically accurate or plausible. It's always been about what looks cool. Why should it be any different for their version(s) of Blackbeard's ship? (Particularly a Blackbeard that leads a zombie crew--you know that can't be historically accurate. :pir-sweet: )

The fact that both LEGO and POTC have Jolly Roger flying pirates fighting European soldiers inspired by the late 18th century British navy is about as blatant an anachronism as you can get. It's like having modern-day British soldiers fighting against the forces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

TC

1. Pirates of The Caribbean isn't supposed to be accurate

2. It's awesome! I mean come on, red coats, pirates, zombies, mermaids, the fountain of youth :pir-tongue:

And what we always have to remember is that the set releases will most definately be aimed to children

As much as I would love lego sets that are historically accurate, I dont think we'll see any :imperialguard_commander1:

Well we are bound to get a new wave if these sell good (and I know I am doing my part for these to sell! :pirate_skel1:) and that means either an endeavour or the Flying Dutchman.

I have noticed that there is a high abundance of the second movie in these sets, so hopefully LEGO are saving them for last. But I have also noticed no pics of the Black Pearl yet, is it coming out later in the year? :pir-sceptic:

Well we are bound to get a new wave if these sell good (and I know I am doing my part for these to sell! :pirate_skel1:) and that means either an endeavour or the Flying Dutchman.

I have noticed that there is a high abundance of the second movie in these sets, so hopefully LEGO are saving them for last. But I have also noticed no pics of the Black Pearl yet, is it coming out later in the year? :pir-sceptic:

Yep, The Black Pearl is coming in November. so by Christmas I'm counting on having both the Pearl and QAR :pir-sweet:

So what are this theme's special parts? There is a globe, yes, and there will be the Johnny Headpiece, but what else?

I'm hoping for a new Tricorne as seen on the Jack Sparrow fig seen at Comic-Con back in July, bu thats all I can think of. :pir-classic:

I was also hoping for a new flintlock pistol, but that dream has since been shot down after seeing one of the POTC teaser images. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Ship in a bottle. :pir-sweet:

wait what where

I think the bottle piece is new too, isn't it?

And the Aztec gold chest thing looks like it has a new single piece as its cover.

Oh and at least one sea-creature-person head.

Ship in a bottle. :pir-sweet:

I think the 'ship in a bottle' is just the new bottle piece. While a 'ship in a bottle' piece would have been fantabulous, the new bottle itself is a welcome enough addition to my rowdy pirate crew. Now they can be drunken and rowdy.

So I've been wondering lately just how preliminary these picture must be...we saw a pretty impressive Jack Sparrow minifigure on display back in, what, July? And yet the set images don't seem to have this version...so these could be very early images indeed...so this has gotten me even more excited about the eventual official pictures...

TC

So I've been wondering lately just how preliminary these picture must be...we saw a pretty impressive Jack Sparrow minifigure on display back in, what, July? And yet the set images don't seem to have this version...so these could be very early images indeed...so this has gotten me even more excited about the eventual official pictures...

TC

Hopefully it will be worth the wait in the end :pir_laugh2:

Oh but still since we basically know which minifigs are coming with the 1st Wave, I wonder what minifigs will come with the Black Pearl?

Im guessing/Hoping for:

Sparrow

Gibbs

Elizabeth

Turner

Cotton (Old man with parrot)

Marty (Our Small Friend)

Pintel and Ragetti

perhaps Barbossa

Jack the Monkey :monkey:

Tia Dalma :pir-wub:

However the movie scene depicted alongside will probably be on Stranger Tides :pir-hmpf:

Oh well im sure it will still be a great set :pir-blush:

Oh, is that what the conch shell head is for? :pir_laugh2:

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume so.

At first I thought the globe was a printed tan version of two of these. Now I think the globe is too small to be that, possibly a printed zhamor sphere.

I also have noticed that Cannibal Escape has a dark tan palm frond piece. Gotta make sure I can get multiples.

At first I thought the globe was a printed tan version of two of these. Now I think the globe is too small to be that, possibly a printed zhamor sphere.

I also have noticed that Cannibal Escape has a dark tan palm frond piece. Gotta make sure I can get multiples.

It's far to small to be a Tridax pod (the piece you linked), but I doubt it'll be a Zamor. There's no way to connect them anywhere, so if it is then it'll be really unstable.

It's far to small to be a Tridax pod (the piece you linked), but I doubt it'll be a Zamor. There's no way to connect them anywhere, so if it is then it'll be really unstable.

Don't forget that most of the minifigs are preliminary in these pictures, so the globe might be as well. Maybe someone printed on a Zamor for this image, but they intend to do something else for the final product.