HJR-Holland

Review: 10212 Imperial Shuttle

Yes, disassembling the model requires some serious work as the axles inside the folding wings are really hard to remove without breaking the entire thing down into suitable pieces. So, forget to remove the wings as wholes (bin there, done that)...

I just finished this off last night after around 15 hours over 4 days and its a very nice set. Im from Australia and bought it when it was first released a few months back @ Big W and when I opened the box my instructions and sticker where in a plastic bag with a cardboard backing to keep them flat (thank you Lego) but I only received silver lightsaber hilts not the chrome ones like in the review. I won on the intructions and sticker :grin: but lost out on the chrome hilts :hmpf_bad: .

Yes this set would be very hard to quicky take down and store. I also noticed the diffrent shades of white on the elements.

I took it to work to display and everyone was drooling over it for 10 mins :wub_drool: . Perple are still comming in a standing around it with their jaws on the ground with astonishment.

Edited by wokajablocka

Yes this set would be very hard to quicky take down and store

I found the only way that I could disassemble mine was to use the pliers on my Leatherman to very gently tease out the longer technic pins/bars from the wings and those used to connect the wings to the hull. I don't know if anyone managed it without resorting to simalar measures?! Still a great set though :classic:

i took mine to bits with just my hands, hardest bit is seperating the wings from the body but then it is simple.

I wanted this set for a very, very long time, and Finally managed to get it a couple of weeks ago, And now that I've finished building, I must say that this is one of my favourite sets ever. I was waiting for a good price, But Now that I own it I can definately recognise why it's so hard to find a good price - It fully deserves it's huge demand from the AFOL Community, IMO.

The design is simply fantastic, and simply needs to be recoginsed as such. To someone who doesn't care much for Star Wars it may not be as impressive as say, the Falcon, but I wanted one of these in UCS since 2005 when I could first afford to start thinking about the UCS line, and this set does not dissapoint!

I personally found the body a bit slow to build, But one you get on to the secound book, You won't be able to stop until you've finished all 4. This beauty is going to be a true joy to display. I'm extremely tempted to build just a small* scene from Ep. VI with the Emperors arrival at the Death Star.. Honestly, I think it would add a lot to an already incredible set. To any SW fan, I have to reccomend this set

*(Well, As small a thing as this would fit on, It will probably need to be 96x64 studs to look half decent, but still)

I really enjoyed the lack of grebles on this. It's so sleek, exactly as it should be. It really proves how versitile the UCS line can be.

If money was irrelevant, I would choose this over 10179 personally. It is such a fantastic model. And considering I got mine 30% off It only sweetens the deal. I would recommend this set to any collector if they can possibly afford it, it does not dissapoint!

I just had to add my thoughts now that I finally got one :wink:

I have one to and havn't built it yet...i guess i'm saving it to build later.....

One question i have is, i read everyone built there's up and lots of you took it apart.. can i ask why? :sad:

It's such a nice piece...

I really enjoyed the lack of grebles on this. It's so sleek, exactly as it should be. It really proves how versitile the UCS line can be.

This is IMO a weakness.

It is too sleek. It has nearly no stud, and so, looks a bit like a cheap plastic toy.

IMO, the UCS products are made to make profit (obviously), but also to promote the Lego brand. Indeed, if we consider all the Lego sets in all the Lego themes, the UCS products are among the most impressive regarding the design, the building techniques, the details, the wow factor, etc.

Unfortunately, this UCS Shuttle just doesn't look like a Lego product. :sceptic:

Well, it is still a great set. :)

Im torn between buying this, or trying to find a new 10019 UCS Blockade Runner....

Both really iconic ships and will be for a display, I know one is quite old now, but which would you guys choose?!

Im torn between buying this, or trying to find a new 10019 UCS Blockade Runner....

Both really iconic ships and will be for a display, I know one is quite old now, but which would you guys choose?!

I prefer the 10019.

Its eleven engines at the back... cerveau%20lent.gif

10019 has been out for quite a while now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it discontinued sometime in the early part of next year. 10212, on the other hand, has only been out a year. If past trends with Star Wars UCS are any indication, then it should still be around a few years from now.

10019 has been out for quite a while now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it discontinued sometime in the early part of next year.

10019 has been discontinued for a while. It was a 2001 release. You're probably thinking of 10198.

One question i have is, i read everyone built there's up and lots of you took it apart.. can i ask why? :sad:

It's such a nice piece...

I kept mine on display for a week and then returned it to the safety of it’s box. My main reason for this is that I have a rabid fear of what light could do to white plastic! :laugh: It’s probably completely irrational, but I used to collect vintage SW and lived in fear of what sunlight could do after seeing some truly shocking examples!

Edited by Lobot

10019 has been discontinued for a while. It was a 2001 release. You're probably thinking of 10198.

Yeah, I did mean 10198. I assumed they were talking about the newest version of Tantive IV. To Eurospec: I would definitely go for 10198 over 10019. It's not as large, but is a much better looking model IMO.

I kept mine on display for a week and then returned it to the safety of it’s box. My main reason for this is that I have a rabid fear of what light could do to white plastic! :laugh: It’s probably completely irrational, but I used to collect vintage SW and lived in fear of what sunlight could do after seeing some truly shocking examples!

As long as you keep it out of direct sunlight and in a non-smoking environment, white pieces generally hold up pretty well. Keep in mind though that Lego are plastic toys and not meant to withstand the test of time; all of our white pieces could be discolored in the years ahead for all we know.

Not sure if this is old news yet, but OXY Clean completely restores bricks to their original color. As long as you don't leave them in there too long, blues, greys, and white all have their yellowing chemical changes reversed. I know it's now becoming pretty popular to buy old yellowed bricks for cheaper only to have them restored to brand new condition.

This link does a good job of explaining it... So no more worries! :D

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2009/08/30/how-to-clean-yellowed-lego-bricks-to-make-classic-space-sets-look-new-news/

So I am very much tempted to buy this as my next Star Wars set. I remember seeing the full-sized model in the store when it was first released and thinking about how cool it looked. I don't remember being wowed by the size, but I do remember how sleek and pretty it looked. It would make a great display piece, that's for sure. And since I'm not too crazy about the other recent UCS models, this would be a good buy.

Right now, my largest set is 10198 and I absolutely LOVE it! I love the detailing and the nostalgia it brings. Episode IV has always been my favorite, and I would watch the opening Tantive scenes over and over as a kid. The only other Star Wars vehicle that I've always been very excited about was the Imperial Shuttle (my friends and I would play 'Shuttle Tyderian' (yes... that's an intentional misspelling... that's what we thought it was called) in my friend's mom's minivan when we were kids), so I am sure that would bring a lot of nostalgia too.

A lot of you seem to be set on the fact that it's a worthy buy, and Amazon currently has it 10% off. Not sure if that's good or not, but it's something... I guess it's also something to think about. I wouldn't be buying it until the beginning of January (once all my Christmas shopping is done!) so I guess we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I'm rebuilding my 10198, so I'm extra psyched about finishing it again this weekend.

I bought this today, got it for £165 brand new, which is what swayed it for my over paying around £250-£300 for a brand new Blockade Runner.

Going to put it together over the weekend, can't wait!

Congrats! That's a pity that the Blockade Runner is so over-priced over there... It's a beautiful set.

Please let us know if you find any discolored or missing pieces. It appears as though this model seems to have that problem. Although 10198 had issues of its own with Leia's hair (what has been dubbed Fondue Leia). Thankfully, mine came with a good hairpiece.

One thing that I will definitely be changing if/when I get this set: Replacing Luke's blond hair with medium brown. It would be MUCH closer to his hair color in ROTJ. I have no clue why they included a light blond hairpiece... it doesn't even look like him.

So far all the bricks have been ok. Instructions and stickers came in a separate cardboard backed bag too, much to my surprise! Box looks like its been stood on though :(

There are some nice reviews on youtube which show those features. The review here with still pictures is nice, but seeing all action features and having the model turned in all angles in front of the camera really made me appreciate this set even more. Too bad i don't have the money at this time to buy one for myself.

So I got 10212 for Christmas, but I cannot seem to find Vader's cape anywhere. My instructions and stickers came in a separate, cardboard-backed bag, so I assumed it would be in there but it's not. I am not going to build it until I move into my new place in about 3 weeks, but I at least wanted to assemble the minifigs. I looked through the other bags but there was no sign of it that I could see. Then again... the lighting was not the best. But I figured I would ask here before I spend all that time looking again. Does anyone know where they stuck it?

So I got 10212 for Christmas, but I cannot seem to find Vader's cape anywhere. My instructions and stickers came in a separate, cardboard-backed bag, so I assumed it would be in there but it's not. I am not going to build it until I move into my new place in about 3 weeks, but I at least wanted to assemble the minifigs. I looked through the other bags but there was no sign of it that I could see. Then again... the lighting was not the best. But I figured I would ask here before I spend all that time looking again. Does anyone know where they stuck it?

The cape should be inside a little white cardboard box about 4 x 4 cm; it's only a couple of mm thick so you could have missed it. If it's not there, I'm sure that Lego Customer Services would be happy to send a replacement.

The little box is in one of the various parts bags.

Oh, okay... thanks guys! I've never gotten a caped minifig before, so I was just looking for a loose piece. Thank goodness they didn't just drop it in there though!