10194 Emerald Night  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

Excellent,but remember to fix the problem on the wheels,when you test your emerald you can find that little mistake(and a lot of people have already talk about it).you can check my photo and see my personal way to fix it.My emerald is with pf motor,but the "fireplace"still in position,my only trouble was the cable of the motor because is little bit short,and give me problem sometime.

Another problem with the pf motor i find is when the rail track is not in flat position(plane)but going up the motorized wheels don't touch cause the engine is rigid and stop the rundefault_sceptic.gif .

I have to test on a big diorama to try at the maximum speed if can run up on a bridge or something like...

Sorry for my english,but i hope you understnd.

here the photo of my modifications

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gioppa/4908377541/in/photostream/

Finally done some testing. Train runs smoothly sofar. Anyone interested in a movie of the 12v version emerald night train?

Finally done some testing. Train runs smoothly sofar. Anyone interested in a movie of the 12v version emerald night train?

Is that a trick question :sweet: ? Of course, I ber many are interested!!!

Regards,

Thorsten

My EN is powered with the power functions from Lego. In reverse if operates perfectly smoothly, but in forward, it lunges with each cycle of the front pistons. On fast speed it doesn't affect its performance, it just goes fast-slower-fast-slower in cycles so it looks and sounds funny. But at slower speeds, the lunging affects its ability to drive, especially on corners at slower speed (locks up). I've checked the gear from the bottom and it looks like it is aligned properly.

I don't know what else to check. Any suggestions?

I don't know what else to check. Any suggestions?

You mentioned it locking, this should help.

P.S there are tons of other articles on how to fix Emerald Night problems

I got my Emerald Night today for Christmas. Wow! What a build. It took me a solid 2 hours to build. I loved the SNOT, technic gears, and TONS of cheese pieces. The greatest part was when the family was playing LEGO Rock Band and my girlfriend pointed out the Emerald Night in the game while I was building it in the next room over.

After a few months of not being able to get to my Lego I decided to cheers myself up today and ordered a Emerald night :classic:

Just have to wait for the postman now.

Good choice, sebby. It is a nice set. My only complaint is the lack of an expansion set with more cars. They even give us stickers for additional coaches. What gives?

Good choice, sebby. It is a nice set. My only complaint is the lack of an expansion set with more cars. They even give us stickers for additional coaches. What gives?

Thanks just got mine today and have just finished building it. Seeing as this is not the biggest or the most expensive Lego set I have brought it has to be one of my favourites so far.

I agree I wish it was easier/cheaper to get some more coaches. £50 on E-bay is IMO way to much to ask. Tempted to order another one and either use the Emerald Night for spare or sell it and just use the coach.

I think TLG should sell a limited run of coaches though S&H but I doubt it so it looks like I'm gonna be hitting bricklink again soon.

This is a very good review, but the PF's aren't that great while using, to noisy. I think i'll be sticking with 9V for SOME time, or until they are better design and not to noisy. Could you by any chance do a review on the passenger train?

In praise of Emerald Night.

I'm sure everyone has this. They buy what looks to be a really well sone set and then after a bunch of MOCs and all of a sudden it feels lacking. I have to say that even after seeing MOCs like Big Boy and BR01 the EN is still a really well done set. It still looks like a nicely done MOC.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Yes, today my set arrived....first i thought it wouldn't fit in my city....but it is such a nice design that i simply had to buy one and now i have to build it. I think i will not put PF parts in it....i will use it just for a diorama and not for letting it ride around..

Thanks for your review, because of the review i made the decision to buy one as well!

Later i will try to get an extra passenger car...hope i can find one !!!

Greetz LegoSjaak

TRU has taken the set off of their website...Beginning of the end?

Could be the beginning of the disappearance of the set in the shops....but them Maersk train is a very good follow-up!!! And now that i have an EN with an extra passengercar...well, i do not mind any more whether the EN is sold out or not... Everybody got a chance to buy one, i think!!

Well, lets count down for the Maersktrain to arrive... 24 days in counting........

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Just got the EN train today. Is it worth buying another EN set for the extra passenger car or the Maersk?

I bought an extra set and sold the engine and tender for a good price....so now i have 2 passengercars.... in this way an extra car is not too expensive!!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Just got the EN train today. Is it worth buying another EN set for the extra passenger car or the Maersk?

I think it needs more than one passenger car to look good. You could buy another EN now, build the passenger car, but keep the engine+tender new in the bags. Wait until after the EN sells out on lego.com (that way you're sure to get a good price) and then sell your engine+tender.

I think it needs more than one passenger car to look good. You could buy another EN now, build the passenger car, but keep the engine+tender new in the bags. Wait until after the EN sells out on lego.com (that way you're sure to get a good price) and then sell your engine+tender.

thanks but i only have enough money for one or the other but not both. I think I'm going to wait for the Maersk set in less than a month. Don't you think that a 4 stud cabin is a little small? That's my only complaint about the passenger car.

Someone might have answered this already, but can the new PF parts (motor and batter box) be effectively combined with the EN, or does it still need an XL motor?

I don't think the new motor would fit easily into EN. The PF XL motor is used to drive the large wheels. There's no wheelsets on the EN that are spaced like the new train motor, even on the tender.

Someone might have answered this already, but can the new PF parts (motor and batter box) be effectively combined with the EN, or does it still need an XL motor?

Yes, you still need an XL motor.

Fantastic Review Captain Zuloo

I agree with you about the engineer :classic:

:thumbup:

Thumbs up!

To steal one from Bart Scott

'Can't Wait' for the new Maersk Train

:devil:

Edited by bpwilly3

Awsome review! I still cannot belive I actually own one - it sure wasn't easy to find! (Read on if you want to know how I've gotten mine :look: )

There is no Shop@home or LEGO shops here, which basically means that exclusive sets are nowhere to be found in the whole country. On the summer of 2009. I went to Munich, Germany. Of course, we visited LEGOLAND. After a nice day of fun, we went to the store, located near the enternace. I looked around a bit, but the Emerald Night was nowhere to be seen! I was forced to visit the LEGO shop in the city. Since this was my first visit to an actual "official" LEGO store, I was suprised with all the sets on the shelves. I was completely shocked when an employee informed me they had NONE left. It was kind of heartbraking (especially because they had a model built for people to see), since I wanted this set so bad.

Sure, it was a shame I couldn't get it at a "lower" price in Germany, but I wasn't about to quit. I found a little store which wasn't even in my country - but that didn't really matter, after they said they've got...only 1 left. It was about 20 euros more expensive, but at that point, it didn't really matter to me. :laugh: