Starting work on my next project, which will be a lifted Nissan Xterra! Got a full set of RC4WD Rock Crusher tires (essentially the same tread as the popular BF Goodrich tires), and I've also started modeling a fully functional transfer case based around the new (to me) driving rings.

The green axle is the motor input, orange is rear axle drive, and yellow is front axle. In the middle, the lavender and blue gears are for HI/LO, respectively, and as expected, the FWD can be disconnected as a 2WD/4WD switch. Fairly compact, as the geared part is only 5x5x7 studs!

A couple of things are still undecided with this model, the first of which is how to activate the functions. Right now, the transfer case is actuated by mini LAs, which would mean that I would likely be using mini LAs to lock the front and rear diffs. However, there is the option to use small pneumatic cylinders, in which case the axles will be a little simpler to build (more on axles later). On the other hand, using pneumatics means integrating a pressure-regulated compressor and remote controlled valves (or a valve-pump combo), which could end up being bulky. I do have the option of manually controlling those functions, but what's the fun in that? :wink: 

The other undecided aspect is suspension. The Xterra I'm modeling after has A-arms in the front and leaf springs in the rear, so from an accuracy standpoint that is the way to go. On the other hand, 4-link live axles front and rear would be great for off-roading. The tradeoff with 4-link suspension would be space, as independent suspension in the front would let me cram the driveline components in front of the "firewall".

TL;DR I've started on an Xterra, but I've got a lot of thinking to do... :wacko:

Good start but the la's will need some gearing up.

Edited by Aventador2004
Grammar

hi @vktechnic, nice tires, love how realistic the treads are looking.

From your photo, looks like the tires fit well on the lego rims diameter-wise. How about the width, does it also just fit?

25 minutes ago, miobricks said:

hi @vktechnic, nice tires, love how realistic the treads are looking.

From your photo, looks like the tires fit well on the lego rims diameter-wise. How about the width, does it also just fit?

Yep, they fit well width-wise too :classic:

I've been out of town for a while, but this weekend I got to dedicate some time to building again. I've decided to go for 4-link suspension for the model, mostly to allow for proper off-road performance. I've also settled on mini LAs for the transfer case, while the axles will have pneumatic locking diffs.

Anyways, the front and rear axles are done, and boy are they beefy.

33444172110_a5b953e4f7_c.jpg
Nissan Xterra update! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

Front and rear pneumatically locking differentials (used the old school diffs here), with portal axles and mounting points for the 4-link suspension. Just a couple tweaks on those left and they'll be all set!

33444175930_e1e580e7dd_c.jpg
Nissan Xterra update! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

The hard part will come with the chassis. I'll be cramming 5 M-motors, 2 XL-motors, 2 battery boxes, 3 receivers, and a fair bit of pneumatics into a body smaller than the Subarute. A sacrifice will have to be made somewhere, and I think the interior will be compromised here. Maybe I'll put in the top half of the seats, we'll see.

I've already started work on the chassis, so look forward to an update later this week!

????? What do you need 5 m motors for? I can see 2, at most, maybe 3. What do you have planned for them? Also, why 2 battery boxes? If you have the motors and steering running off one, then you can have the second one be a triple A size one. Finally, I'm not seeing this thing as being that small. Most Lego vehicles have really large tires in relation to their size, but if you want correct proportions, this will be bigger.

sadly LEGO does not produce such realistic tires do you have to use 3rd party ones :look:

Nice start :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

????? What do you need 5 m motors for? I can see 2, at most, maybe 3. What do you have planned for them? Also, why 2 battery boxes? If you have the motors and steering running off one, then you can have the second one be a triple A size one. Finally, I'm not seeing this thing as being that small. Most Lego vehicles have really large tires in relation to their size, but if you want correct proportions, this will be bigger.

I need 1 motor for steering, 1 for winch, and 3 to control the pneumatic diff locks and transfer case. There will actually be a sixth motor for the compressor itself.

It's not all that small (1:10 scale), but it's 5-10 studs shorter and 3 studs narrower than the Subarute, which was closer to 1:9.5 scale.

3 hours ago, I_Igor said:

sadly LEGO does not produce such realistic tires do you have to use 3rd party ones :look:

Nice start :thumbup:

I don't have to use 3rd party tires, since I'm building this to also fit Unimog tires. That tread pattern (and the blue axles) are taken from a modded Xterra that is the main inspiration for this build.

1 hour ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Great start! How strong are the diff locks? Also, where are those tires from? I have been wanting some that fit those rims.

Diff locks are strong, first time using the new driving rings for me. Tires are from RC4WD, although any 1.55" scale tires will fit those rims.

16 hours ago, VKTechnic said:

I need 1 motor for steering, 1 for winch, and 3 to control the pneumatic diff locks and transfer case. There will actually be a sixth motor for the compressor itself.

It's not all that small (1:10 scale), but it's 5-10 studs shorter and 3 studs narrower than the Subarute, which was closer to 1:9.5 scale.

I don't have to use 3rd party tires, since I'm building this to also fit Unimog tires. That tread pattern (and the blue axles) are taken from a modded Xterra that is the main inspiration for this build.

Yeah, Unimog tires are nice solution :wink:

10 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Yeah, Unimog tires are nice solution :wink:

A nice solution for being purist, yes, but not so nice when you need grip :wink: 

14 hours ago, VKTechnic said:

A nice solution for being purist, yes, but not so nice when you need grip :wink: 

I believe you that, but I have not specifically good experience with 3rd party parts so I'm just "publishing" my thoughts. :wink:

I know I said I'd have an update by the end of last week, but I really wanted to have a rolling chassis done before I posted something. Once I had a rolling chassis, I wanted to get the gearbox motorized, and before long I was mounting all the motors. And here I am now...

33964004925_dda95aa8ac_c.jpg
XTerra Chassis! by VKTechnic, on Flickr

All the motors (2 XL-motors and 6 M-motors) are mounted, hooked up, tested, and functional. This chassis drives, steers, shifts, locks diffs, and spins a winch motor.

33150673763_323fc4f5b8_c.jpg

The one thing it doesn't do yet is crawl, and that's because the 16t gear that drives the diff is skipping. I've already got a solution in mind, should be a fairly quick fix. After that, it'll be time to work on the body. I'm going to (try to) do what I did on the Subarute and make the main pillars structural. One thing I'm unsure of is whether to include opening doors/hood/trunk, especially given that there really isn't room for an interior (I'll probably make the tops of the seats so at least something's visible through the windows). Let me know what you guys think so far!

33 minutes ago, VKTechnic said:

One thing I'm unsure of is whether to include opening doors/hood/trunk, especially given that there really isn't room for an interior (I'll probably make the tops of the seats so at least something's visible through the windows). Let me know what you guys think so far!

@TechnicRCRacer This should answer your question :wink: 

Huh, I'm surprised. I didn't think that the wheels would be in scale, but they are. Kind of a shame about the interior, but there really ain't that much you can do about that. One really difficult thing is that building truck axles out of Lego is that the axle is much larger than it should be, making building the frame harder. But, I still look forward to this, as I almost bought an Xterra.

Just now, Saberwing40k said:

Huh, I'm surprised. I didn't think that the wheels would be in scale, but they are. Kind of a shame about the interior, but there really ain't that much you can do about that. One really difficult thing is that building truck axles out of Lego is that the axle is much larger than it should be, making building the frame harder. But, I still look forward to this, as I almost bought an Xterra.

4-link axles are especially big, yeah. The crawling performance makes up for it though :classic:

11 hours ago, VKTechnic said:

I know I said I'd have an update by the end of last week, but I really wanted to have a rolling chassis done before I posted something. Once I had a rolling chassis, I wanted to get the gearbox motorized, and before long I was mounting all the motors. And here I am now...

All the motors (2 XL-motors and 6 M-motors) are mounted, hooked up, tested, and functional. This chassis drives, steers, shifts, locks diffs, and spins a winch motor.

The one thing it doesn't do yet is crawl, and that's because the 16t gear that drives the diff is skipping. I've already got a solution in mind, should be a fairly quick fix. After that, it'll be time to work on the body. I'm going to (try to) do what I did on the Subarute and make the main pillars structural. One thing I'm unsure of is whether to include opening doors/hood/trunk, especially given that there really isn't room for an interior (I'll probably make the tops of the seats so at least something's visible through the windows). Let me know what you guys think so far!

Very impressive. :thumbup: It seems that you also like to say (before chassis starts rolling) GENTLEMAN START YOUR ENGINES! :grin: I hardly wait to see final masterpiece. 

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

Sorry for minor bump, is this finished or scrapped?

Still WIP, update coming soon.