Ellisss_2

[WIP] [UCS] Zeta-Class Cargo Shuttle

What gear connects the trans wormgear gearbox with that tan bevel gear? I suspect that its that small flat bevel gear right? If so, its not good. Such big flaps create big torque, which is even advanced by your gearing. To much stress on that one element.

Also your hull looks very dense. To dense. All the bricks and plate, that would be heavy. I'd suggest incorporating some technic brick frame and then plate or brick it around, so the structure is not as beefy and more interconnected :)

Otherwise i really like the wings. The angle forced in by 123 slopes might be a bit to tapered, but I think the overal look is worth the innacuracies. My only suggestion is to incorporate some textiure in the wings. swap some bricks for these grille pattern bricks, or bricks with studs on sides and add some little greebling. This is not imperial shiuttle, these flaps seem to have some texture to them.

@Ellisss_2 Nice wings, but I think dark grey and light grey would work better than dark grey and white on the wings…?

If I was building this, I would probably do most of the wings as a Technic structure and finish off the edges with regular bricks. It then wouldn't be so heavy.

Great job anyway! :)

14 minutes ago, krisandkris12 said:

What gear connects the trans wormgear gearbox with that tan bevel gear? I suspect that its that small flat bevel gear right? If so, its not good. Such big flaps create big torque, which is even advanced by your gearing. To much stress on that one element.

Also your hull looks very dense. To dense. All the bricks and plate, that would be heavy. I'd suggest incorporating some technic brick frame and then plate or brick it around, so the structure is not as beefy and more interconnected :)

Otherwise i really like the wings. The angle forced in by 123 slopes might be a bit to tapered, but I think the overal look is worth the innacuracies. My only suggestion is to incorporate some textiure in the wings. swap some bricks for these grille pattern bricks, or bricks with studs on sides and add some little greebling. This is not imperial shiuttle, these flaps seem to have some texture to them.

Hello! Kris, 

The gear could not be placed in, due to LDD's complications. The torque should not be a problem as it is the same gear system from the UCS Imperial Shuttle. The wings are only slightly heavier I believe. The gear connecting to the trans worm gearbox and the tan bevel gear is actually this gear: http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32270&idColor=11#T=C&C=11 

Correct, the hull is extremely dense, I was thinking of not having an interior on the lower deck and using it entirely for a technic frame. 

I will add some greebling and texture to the wings further on, please bear in mind this is in it's early stages, though.

:laugh: But I'm glad you like it otherwise. 

Kind regards, Ellis.

@VaderFan2187 Thank you! I may add more technic to the wings in time. Now, about the white edges, do these wings look better?

UCS Zeta-Class Cargo Shuttle 3.1.17

Edited by Ellisss_2

Nice job.

The brick-built wings are indeed nicer than the plated wings.

UCS is maybe too large of a scale for this model and I wonder if something more "system scale" would not be more appropriate.

I will keep checking your progresses, good luck!

56 minutes ago, Veynom said:

UCS is maybe too large of a scale for this model and I wonder if something more "system scale" would not be more appropriate.

Well then you have more interior space to play around with :wink:

1 hour ago, Veynom said:

Nice job.

The brick-built wings are indeed nicer than the plated wings.

I will keep checking your progresses, good luck!

Funny you should say that.

About 90 studs long to be precise ;-)

yeah well technically it was 96 studs but my wings are 56 studs long at present. in reality it is nearly two lambda shuttles in length.

13 minutes ago, cavegod said:

yeah well technically it was 96 studs but my wings are 56 studs long at present. in reality it is nearly two lambda shuttles in length.

I'm confused, please elaborate. :wacko: I think I might just stick to the size the model is currently at, it has over 2000 bricks already. I managed to get a technic support in the lower deck so hopefully the model should be a lot stronger now.

Kind regards, Ellis.

13 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

I'm confused, please elaborate. :wacko: I think I might just stick to the size the model is currently at, it has over 2000 bricks already. I managed to get a technic support in the lower deck so hopefully the model should be a lot stronger now.

Kind regards, Ellis.

That's good. Technic strengthens sets a lot, and are lighter than regular bricks. And wow, 2000+ bricks already! Largest LDD MOC I've done had 3003 pieces. 

14 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Kind regards, Ellis.

I mean the length of the Zeta is about 1 3/4 lambda shuttles so you can use the ucs shuttle as a size reference. 

If it helps your wings are mounted incorrectly compared to the ref pictures.

Just a little something I am putting together...

31271904864_e5624ec13c_b.jpg

31737971210_feff548906_o.jpg

After exporting the fbx model from the Battlefront DLC assets, I produced blueprints with Blender and Expression. I'm aiming to scale the finished model at 2.6 studs per meter (same as 10212 UCS Lambda shuttle): 92s long and 75s high while landed. 

Those wings look really nice in DBG with the 10212 method. 

What are you guys using as reference material?  I can't find any studio model pictures, I don't know if they actually made a model. 

5 minutes ago, Schneeds said:

Those wings look really nice in DBG with the 10212 method. 

What are you guys using as reference material?  I can't find any studio model pictures, I don't know if they actually made a model. 

I am using the Visual Dictionary and the Battlefront 3D model as references.

@cavegod Are the wings mounted out too far from the fuselage? And, ok I understand why you were referring to the UCS Lamba Shuttle. :laugh:

@Renegade Clone Wow, I am mighty impressed! Looks awesome so far! It definitely looks of a similar size to my model. I think I will change my model length to 92 studs. Are you going to go with a mechanism to change the wings from flight mode to landing mode?

Kind regards, Ellis.

1 hour ago, Ellisss_2 said:

@Renegade Clone Wow, I am mighty impressed! Looks awesome so far! It definitely looks of a similar size to my model. I think I will change my model length to 92 studs. Are you going to go with a mechanism to change the wings from flight mode to landing mode?

If the gears don't work (but they likely will) you could try out a Krennic's Shuttle-style mechanism maybe? As in multiple ball joints lined up in a row? Would that work too?

4 hours ago, Renegade Clone said:

I am using the Visual Dictionary and the Battlefront 3D model as references.

Just wondering if you ever finnished Kylos shuttle?

13 hours ago, Renegade Clone said:

Just a little something I am putting together...

31271904864_e5624ec13c_b.jpg

31737971210_feff548906_o.jpg

After exporting the fbx model from the Battlefront DLC assets, I produced blueprints with Blender and Expression. I'm aiming to scale the finished model at 2.6 studs per meter (same as 10212 UCS Lambda shuttle): 92s long and 75s high while landed. 

Interesting about the scale. I've decided to build my minifig scale models at about 4 studs per metre (with a minifig being 6 studs tall, including 1x1s on each legs and a headgear piece). So are you just going for a particular scale with the 2.6=m or is that your basis for a personal 'minifigure scale'? Of course the problem always comes back to minifigure proportions versus those of s human, so I regard my minifigs as generally 150cm tall.

Upon rewatching Rogue One I noticed that the Zeta-class cargo shuttle used by the Rebels is the shorter more common variant. As they land on Scarif however there are much long variants seen descending to the surface.  

3 hours ago, Forresto said:

Upon rewatching Rogue One I noticed that the Zeta-class cargo shuttle used by the Rebels is the shorter more common variant. As they land on Scarif however there are much long variants seen descending to the surface.  

The larger barges seen passing through the shield gate and landing on Scarif are Eta-class cargo barges.

9 hours ago, Renegade Clone said:

The larger barges seen passing through the shield gate and landing on Scarif are Eta-class cargo barges.

Interesting. I thought they were going for something like the Separatist Shuttle where there is a short and long variant but both are the same class,. Thanks, good to know! 

10 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

So should the length now be shorter since I am creating the Zeta Variant? 

Kind regards, Ellis.

Nope I was wrong. You should be fine. Compared to a person the Zeta seemed quite long anyways.