Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

What do you guys think of the current OT scout trooper helmet? It's been in use for nearly 16 years now, and the only Imperial helmet mold I really feel has held up since then has, of course, been the regular stormtrooper helmet.
That one's perfect as it is, but the scout trooper helmet could, I believe, use some updating. What would you guys think of using the Kashyyyk trooper helmet for one? In terms of customizing, it would mean sanding down the two round things
near the vent in the frontal part of the helmet, then spraying it all white to paint the rest accordingly afterwards. This is an idea I had today, and I mean to recreate it with a real helmet piece very soon.

I believe the shapes are almost the same (correct me if I'm wrong), and, let's be honest here, the old scout trooper helmet has never been that accurate. It captures a bit of the basic look,
but the overall shape doesn't match its movie counterpart and has, simply put, become outdated in general as well. So what do you guys think, would the Kashyyyk scout trooper helmet mold be a suitable way
of updating the OT scout trooper helmet as well?

I made a really quick concept/demonstration with a few comparison shots of my idea, just imagine the rest along with it:

ccd10c7c71fc022c7330524bd61fbd81.jpg

Edited by General Magma

Nice photoshop that looks really good General Magma!

Scout trooper is in desperate need of a new mold. As much as i'm glad we got the Kashyyk Scout troopers it's bizarre to me that troops we barely see for a few moments in one movie take precedence over something as prominent as an Imperial Scout trooper. 

Hopefully with their appearance in Rebels we'll get a new one. 

Edited by Forresto

Thanks, Forresto! It was a quick concept 'sketch', and at first I was satisfied with the idea, but now I'm a bit more hesitant when it comes to trying this.
There seem to be a few more differences between the Kashyyyk trooper & Imperial scout trooper helmets than just the lower front part. The Imperial scout trooper helmet is much curvier,
the front part of it is slimmer and juts out in a forward position quite a bit more, and the side vents are larger and more apparent.
which leads me to believe that I might as well just update the body alone and simply wait for LEGO to release an actual new helmet mold. I might still try it, but I'd have to find
suitable white spray paint that resembles LEGO white. (Do let me know, if any of you know any good types)

aea15c4a7b1d1fe0ea4636c840ab5934.jpg

With that said, while I do like the Kashyyyk troopers, I do find it ridiculous that they were given precedence over new Imperial scout trooper helmets.

Edited by General Magma

4 hours ago, pittpenguin123 said:

I think the old one is ok, be great if they started to print on them.

I hoe we get a two part one that opens up. Like this

Star-Wars-Scout-Trooper-Helmet.jpg

After seeing a clip from the new series of Rebels, I was thinking the exact same thing to myself yesterday. It would certainly be achievable in the same way the iron man helmets are done. 

Not sure if this counts, but I gave Jyn Erso printed legs from TFA Han as well as the female Resistance Soldier's hair:

Xz9EjBL.png

The fact that we're having to "update" minifigs that just came out is a little unfortunate, but I suppose it's all we can do. As for the other RO figures, most of them are fantastic actually, but I really feel like Bodhi Rook would benefit massively from some arm printing. If they can print the Imperial crest on the end of a bar for K-2SO's shoulders, surely they could've put it on Bodhi's arms. Sometimes TLG's decisions are baffling.

Edited by Nokturn

On 10/1/2016 at 7:50 AM, Nokturn said:

Not sure if this counts, but I gave Jyn Erso printed legs from TFA Han as well as the female Resistance Soldier's hair:

<snip>

The fact that we're having to "update" minifigs that just came out is a little unfortunate, but I suppose it's all we can do. As for the other RO figures, most of them are fantastic actually, but I really feel like Bodhi Rook would benefit massively from some arm printing. If they can print the Imperial crest on the end of a bar for K-2SO's shoulders, surely they could've put it on Bodhi's arms. Sometimes TLG's decisions are baffling.

Those leg's are perfect. I'd already tried a couple of different legs out which were no good.  I keep all my TFA minifigures in a separate box so hadn't even thought of Han's legs.

Edited by MKJoshA
Don't quote pictures

On 9/23/2016 at 2:24 PM, pittpenguin123 said:

I think the old one is ok, be great if they started to print on them.

I hoe we get a two part one that opens up. Like this

Sounds doable, especially with the current Iron Man design. I don't know if they'll care enough to do it, though.

On 5 October 2016 at 5:44 PM, wesker said:

There's a great new face print for updating Biggs in new Lego Batman Movie sets.

ohr4hw.jpg

Really ? I think this looks much better. Although you do have to give bard the bowman some facial readjustment  to achieve it (not a problem for me but perhaps for others. )

24315669689_4c3df9e56e_b.jpg

2 minutes ago, pittpenguin123 said:

Biggs was never in a snowspeeder pilot outfit...

He never made it to hoth... ;-; rip best SW pilot

What about Porkins? :D

Just now, Forresto said:

What about Porkins? :D

Nah Porkins is still alive. Didn't you hear him he said he's fine and he can handle it.

Thanks!

I agree that Tarkin would best, but I may go with that second one with stubble as I think I have an extra one.

On 10/8/2016 at 0:15 AM, pittpenguin123 said:

Biggs was never in a snowspeeder pilot outfit...

He never made it to hoth... ;-; rip best SW pilot

Those are X-Wing uniforms though?

Also, what head piece are you guys using for Biggs? The yularen looks great.

11 hours ago, jhaelego said:

Yularen?

The head is bard the bowmans head with the goatee and sideburns rubbed off.

And you're right, those are x wing uniforms. No jacket over the top and black gloves.

16 hours ago, neueruse said:

Thanks!

I agree that Tarkin would best, but I may go with that second one with stubble as I think I have an extra one.

Though noone asked: I think the blone Mr. Incredible hairpiece would be the most appropriate for the former Death Watch leader.

17 hours ago, jhaelego said:

The thick collar made me think it was the snow trooper puffy neck.
Now I look like a idiot... Just ignore my comment.

LEGO WHY DO THEY BOTH HAVE PUFFY NECKS!

I've done that same Bard mod for Biggs and I've always thought it looked perfect.

Not a huge upgrade but Sabine's hair will be available in plain black on the George Harrison mini figure that is featured in the Yellow Submarine set announced today. This would match her look in the latest episode of the Rebels. 

Edited by Forresto