ER0L

Speed Champions Alternates

I absolutely LOVE that Octan racer, now im tempted to pick up another 60053 and BL the SC cockpit piece

But im guessing it wont fit a minifig right?

I did some work on mine tonight, but I haven't taken pictures yet. When I do, I'll start a thread.

:thumbup:

I absolutely LOVE that Octan racer, now im tempted to pick up another 60053 and BL the SC cockpit piece

But im guessing it wont fit a minifig right?

Thanks. - It's fitting a whole minifig with helmet, like all of them (you may spot the fig inside). This was absolutely required here.

Thanks. - It's fitting a whole minifig with helmet, like all of them (you may spot the fig inside). This was absolutely required here.

Derp, should look closer next time

I might hop by the toy store on the way home and pick up some stuff to toy around with, wouldnt want to take apart any of my already assembled sets (My inner lord business is a strong headed fellow)

Another City Scale Speed Champion:

17113080340_4a9dde35b3_z.jpg

We cannot only turn Speed Champions into City scale vehicles - the opposite direction is possible, too. As you can see I've modded the 60053 race car by adding the SC canopy and adjusting the proportions. The platform is exactly the same as on the other City Scale Speed Champions.

I love this design!

I guess you built this from scratch rather than running it through LDD?

Edited by SlabKing

These all look so great! Will we be seeing more now that the 2016 sets are out? :)

Thanks. Well, though I like the second batch more than the first, there aren't that many cars suitable for this kind of conversion. The rounded canopy works quite well with mid-engine cars, the "square" canopy doesn't look very good on 6w cars in my opinion, I'd rather build (and have already built) a Mustang with a 5w roof, same goes for the Camaro.

Of course there's the Audi R18, but I'm no big Audi fan. However, I'm looking forward to the Porsche 917K, but that one I'd rather try to build in my usual 1/35 scale, that's why it might turn out a bit larger than the "City Champions". Anyway it must be set down as much as possible ... :wink:

Too bad you can't buy them in Germany until now.

Too bad you can't buy them in Germany until now.

They just hit shops here in the netherlands, but prices are insane, €20 (up from €15) for the single cars :O

They just hit shops here in the netherlands, but prices are insane, €20 (up from €15) for the single cars :O

Yes, I've heard of that. But I guess it will normalize itself soon.

Yes, I've heard of that. But I guess it will normalize itself soon.

In my case, doubt it, shops here tend to go buy lego MSRP (in some cases +10%), Lego though, has been upping some prices over here, all the €30 SW sets this year are suddenly €35 MSRP for us. BPs have gone from €15 to €17 MSRP

First take on one of the new Speed Champions cars. Yesterday I was able to buy a few discounted small SC sets, #75870 among them. I just thought: Fine, scrap the old McLaren P1 (see above), set back the windscreen, add some parts of the new set, and a new "City Champion" Corvette Z06 is born. I couldn't be more wrong ...

This is the result of a 6 hour build. Neither of the SC windscreens proved to be suitable, I had to add the good old 6w windshield. However, I managed to build in that great new wedge plate. All in all it's quite difficult to find adequate solutions for what is done with stickers on the original cars, regarding constructive elements like headlights. However, the car is much lower than the original build (a bit lower than a fig), proportions are improved (in my opionion, that is). A fig can be placed inside (in the center, which isn't ideal, however, it's typical of the SC builds).

26139904131_0c29fde48c_z.jpg

25603480513_3138e6e748_z.jpg

25933254320_58906e78f2_z.jpg

Another pic of the backend:

26235610275_9d2bcfd244_z.jpg

Edited by ER0L

Nice work as usual, Erol. I like how you handled the rear of the Vette.

Thanks, glad you like it! Speaking of the rear, I modified the backlights (which might look better now) plus, as requested on Flickr, the Z06 now has proper SC hubcaps (which increases the amount of genuine SC elements on it very much):

26227964526_cc4c3a6559_z.jpg

You might recognize the car being a little lower than the fig.

Looks good, much better with the SC hubs on it as well. the only thing I personally am not a fan of is the gap below the windshield on the sides. the 1 plate hole feels unfinished, I don't really have a suggestion on how to over come it as the side body line looks good, just wish there were something closing the gaps.

Looks good, much better with the SC hubs on it as well. the only thing I personally am not a fan of is the gap below the windshield on the sides. the 1 plate hole feels unfinished, I don't really have a suggestion on how to over come it as the side body line looks good, just wish there were something closing the gaps.

Thank you! Regarding that gap: I didn't find a better solution here, though I tried quite a few alternatives. My experience is that it's sometimes better to leave things as they are if the whole shaping is working instead of struggling with details. However, there might be a solution that just didn't come to my mind.

Edited by ER0L

26281144876_7fa8754023_z.jpg

Another MOD is the red Camaro from #75874, not as tough to modify as the Corvette btw. Since the original design is very strong (in spite of the proportion issues) I've tried to keep as many of those nice design features as possible. The use of the roof part for example is a great idea to get more lively sides. "Bracket-and-tile" car builds will profit very much from that.

The spoiler is very nice, too. All in all we can learn a lot from the design of the original model. Shrinking the frontend wasn't that easy, however, the new 2x2 wedge plate was very helpful here. More angles:

26307088795_43a83375d8_z.jpg

26034180920_185c40c8a6_z.jpg

Together with Corvette Z06:

26240861521_29fd243bfd_z.jpg

Preview (WIP):

26280891032_376b4ca4a5_z.jpg

Edited by ER0L

26360306036_c12642c424_z.jpg

Third and last MOD from the SC Chevy department. This is the model with the fewest modifications, I was able to keep the wheelbase and even the SC mudguards which is a nice thing since no hole fixing around the wheels is required. Plus it looks quite nice, I guess.

The original model is really great (as is the whole set), there are lots of nice and very inspiring ideas in there (e. g. that great front spoiler), it's stuffed with nice SNOT and upside down techniques - much to learn here for anybody who is interested in minifig scale car building, even for advanced builders.

However, I had to shorten the frontend of the Camaro for one stud to adjust the proportions plus I changed roof and windscreen which don't really work at the original model in my opinion.

More views:

26386178985_df05cf3f82_z.jpg

26319966471_ec4416098d_z.jpg

Now these are really great times for us car builders, we have all those brackets and slopes and mudguards and wheels and bumpers and all the stuff needed to build nice cars in minifig scale. Only regarding windscreens there's a certain need for optimization but hopefully we haven't seen the end of the matter yet ...

Thanks for watching!

Good study in the science of redesigning these cars...I especially like your Lamborghini redesign...seeing as LEGO has made something similar in the past, I feel that with updated colors/stickers, your Gallardo could be a good set idea...

Nice job!

Good study in the science of redesigning these cars...I especially like your Lamborghini redesign...seeing as LEGO has made something similar in the past, I feel that with updated colors/stickers, your Gallardo could be a good set idea...

Nice job!

Thank you! Regarding the Lambo I just tried to imagine a new type of "City Champions" car using some typical elements of the series.

Concerning the newer series there were some remarks on stance and rear end of the Dragster Camaro on Flickr. That's why I wanted to see what the car looks like without those large rear wheels. Well - a bit slammed, as you might spot. However, this is not too bad for a car like this. Regarding the rear there's hardly any room for the exhausts, maybe the backend could be lifted for one plate. Wheels are spinning nicely btw., though it doesn't look like it.

25800100914_403fae41be_z.jpg

By tinkering with this I decided to rip off the stickers on the hood and trunk - this is the actual result:

26379597976_5b2888cace_z.jpg

Works quite well, I guess. By replacing only a few parts on the set car you get quite a good-looking Camaro which fits well into the usual 6w/7w width range.

Edited by ER0L

All 3 of your designs look considerably better than the origial sticker dependent ones.

I am just not a fan of transparent slopes for windscreens, but I don't like the original 4-wide either, not sure how to solve that, and is it so hard for lego to make a low 6wide windscreen, it would open so many possibilities for car building.

All 3 of your designs look considerably better than the origial sticker dependent ones.

I am just not a fan of transparent slopes for windscreens, but I don't like the original 4-wide either, not sure how to solve that, and is it so hard for lego to make a low 6wide windscreen, it would open so many possibilities for car building.

Thanks! - I'm no fan of them either. As said, we now have practically everything we need to build nice minifig scale cars - apart from proper windscreens. No idea why that shouldn't be possible. However there are quite a few alternatives used on more sophisticated MOCs (like double panes with clips which even allow to get 5w windscreens) - this is rather meant to be easy to reproduce.

First of all great mods EROL! So this isn't so much a mod as it is just swapping colors. When the Mustang came out I originally wanted to try to make it orange with a black stripe, but not all the blue pieces came in orange as well, so I did red instead. Couldn't put all of the stickers on there and some I could cut around the blue or white. Has anyone else tried any of the other speed champions vehicles in alternate colors? I'm currently working on making the Porsche from last year black instead of gray.

post-8230-0-42997400-1460685688_thumb.jpg

Edited by JRBricks

First of all great mods EROL! So this isn't so much a mod as it is just swapping colors. When the Mustang came out I originally wanted to try to make it orange with a black stripe, but not all the blue pieces came in orange as well, so I did red instead. Couldn't put all of the stickers on there and some I could cut around the blue or white. Has anyone else tried any of the other speed champions vehicles in alternate colors? I'm currently working on making the Porsche from last year black instead of gray.

Thanks! Well, cut out stickers aren't quite my department (though there were times I did that, too :devil: ), however, your conversion looks nice. Have you already tried to omit the headlights stickers and to use bricks instead?

Group shot, which was still missing:

25837401593_d56c9dbfa3_z.jpg

Edited by ER0L

Looks fantastic, man. I think it's the wide roofs that make the best improvement, that and the new proportions especially on the Chevys! :wink: