Murdoch17

Nexus Force - real life LEGO Universe-inspired builds (modular moon base , space ships, and land vehicles)

I like the landing pad a lot, but you know what would be cool in this moc? A turntable. That's right, a turntable to assist takeoff. After all, on the frozen tundra, runways are almost entirely useless. And what if you had to take off in the direction of the base?

Like the mods. :)

I like the landing pad a lot, but you know what would be cool in this moc? A turntable. That's right, a turntable to assist takeoff. After all, on the frozen tundra, runways are almost entirely useless. And what if you had to take off in the direction of the base?

Like the mods. :)

Thanks for you suggestion, I'll see what I can do about a turntable. Right now, I'm thinking about cutting up a 48 x 48 base-plate into smaller chunks to make the modular base have a more sturdy foundation, such as instead of buying two smaller, more expensive base-plates, I could use a surplus XL and make ones in a custom shape that fits perfectly.

EDIT:

29636494632_5a961ccc8b_z.jpg

These parts for my space base are going to be ordered next Friday, September 23rd. They consist of three light poles, two star-fighters + their launch pads, one NIFT-E robot, parts for Bob's car, and five space helmets for my orange-suited troopers.

As a side note, the landing pads were jury-rigged into working in real life without buying more parts for them or cutting base-plates. (I really don't want to cut any Lego ever, but sometimes you just gotta cross that line of purism for certain things)

Edited by Murdoch17

29146604734_7d2b91097d_z.jpg

A closeup of my Neo-Nexus Force's sensor array made from Brick Separators. I never thought I'd say this: Hooray for brick separators in every medium-and-up set!

29146604234_a5f2892923_z.jpg

The whole base, with 99% of the vehicles in it's storage bin. The two modular Lego Universe-style rockets were removed and are sitting on my desk for now, and Bob's car is awaiting a re-build. Speaking of Bob, can you spot him in this pic?

29710888231_aaf5de9ffa.jpg

Just a picture of my Neo Nexus Force space base as it sits now. Soon I will have two more space ships and a new car for Bob, plus some odds and ends to finish my soldiers and add some light poles onto the landing pads. The parts were ordered on Wendsday the 21st of September, and all six packages should be here by Monday the 26th, with pictures being here at the latest by Saturday October 1st... but hopefully way sooner than that!

Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Wow, this definitely brings back some (not so distant, but still nostalgic) memories. Great work! I have to get myself one of those Nexus astronauts... It has been on my wanted list for 6 years!

You mean this figure? :grin:

29882294455_d1ce16d96a.jpg

My original LU pioneer astronaut figure. One of only two in-game models sold / given to the first game players in October 2010, with the other being the modular rocket-ship given out at a Lego store build session around the same time in 2010. Their was another mini-figure, this time of ever-friendly Bob, given to attendees at a games conference in 2008. (But he could be made from any multitude of 1980's sets' mini-figures so he's not technically unique.)

The only other LU figures were given to the 9 pod finders in 2009 / 2010, of which of all were unique to each other and only one of each was ever made.

5 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

You mean this figure? :grin:

[Snip]

My original LU pioneer astronaut figure. One of only two in-game models sold / given to the first game players in October 2010, with the other being the modular rocket-ship given out at a Lego store build session around the same time in 2010. Their was another mini-figure, this time of ever-friendly Bob, given to attendees at a games conference in 2008. (But he could be made from any multitude of 1980's sets' mini-figures so he's not technically unique.)

The only other LU figures were given to the 9 pod finders in 2009 / 2010, of which of all were unique to each other and only one of each was ever made.

Yup, exactly! I did get Bob a few years ago. I am kind of OCD with wanting my figures to have the parts they actually came with, so I bought the figure with the printed plates that came with it. It's a nice little display piece, though!

29321451784_3390904b88_z.jpg

Just a small update to the Neo Nexus Force space base.  Bob's car is done and will be photographed soon (maybe tomorrow), but the two space fighters are still needing some parts while the light poles are installed.

Any thoughts / ideas / complaints would be appreciated!

29321450764_8800a8fdd3_z.jpg

Meet NIFT-E, THRIFT-E, Chirp and Chip, the four robots that work on the Neo Nexus Force space base named Ice Station Destiny, making everything run like a well-oiled machine.... most of the time!

NIFT-E is the big one and he's the heavy lifter and heavy thinker of the group. He can lift a warp engine as if it were a sack of feathers, but he also spends his downtime writing 1950's-inspired science fiction screenplays and publishing books.

THRIFT-E is the financial wizard of the group, buying supplies and having it shipped efficiently to the remote base for less thgan normal prices. He can quote you the average price of eggs in ancient Persia, or the regular cost of green cars in Wheretheheckistan. Whether that matters or not is beyond most people.... but if you ever need anything in small or large volumes, ask THRIFT-E.

Chirp and Chip are the two red and blue (or is it blue and red?) pranksters of the group. They play games on THRIFT-E and NIFT-E, like asking one for the amount of angels that can dance on the head of a pin, or what number 1- infinity would be if numbered in alphabetical order.

(See, just reading that, you probably are getting a migraine just wondering how they can come up with those insane questions. I know i am just typing it!)

This small and nimble fighter was designed after looking at a Classic Space model I found on my hard-drive. (I think it was inspired by a model my brother bought off Brick-Link a couple years back.) Anyway, I then tore the model apart and have added  four guns, larger wings, and the larger air intakes from my Nexus tower rocket.

29971321815_5c040ae5d6_z.jpg

The ship features an enlarged cockpit with controls and seating for one figure.

29971322525_46daf614d8_z.jpg

The rear of the model features one tail-fin and two engines exhaust ports.

29937263296_5dfe76ff7d_z.jpg

The nose of the craft features the standard Neo Nexus Force symbol.

29937263836_0cd5efcfe0_z.jpg

This is the third version of the ship, and it was halfway built in real life when I realized the engine would not work the way I designed without being extremely weak. Thus I threw the engines from the Nexus tower robot onto the half-built ship.

29658837750_42b3b3cc91_z.jpg

Also, bob's car has been finished and is being added to the main post.

Any thoughts?

19 hours ago, Karateduo1 said:

This is great keep it up!:thumbup:

Thank you!

16 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Interesting, any particular reason that you decided to give Bob short sleeves?

No real reason besides it just looks better to me.

29401479613_9c03dd9217_z.jpg

Here is my finished space fighters.

LDD file for the above ships: LDD file link

NOTE: the engines intakes rotate back and forth less than a couple millimeters in either direction. this is unavoidable, and the best I could do!

30028416825_73a68e3b30_z.jpg

and the finished (for now) space base. These pictures and more are being added to the main post as we speak.

Any thoughts / ideas / complaints would be appreciated!

Edited by Murdoch17

Okay, so  I said the base was done. I didn't think about it at the time, but my my bigger space ship could really use a parking spot. Thus I decided I could add a landing pad for the Bright Hope to my base.

30064932025_ab9e9cf329_z.jpg

What you see above is the basic outline using as many bricks I could find out of my own collection. Their will be more, but not now. Most likely in November I will buy the remaining bricks for the pad plus the Doctor Who parts I need to finish the TARDIS.

29438205323_f2c1521f17_z.jpg

These few parts are required for the landing pad.

29770884680_57169d9fbd_z.jpg

This is what it will look like (for the most part) when the landing pad is installed.

29881518410_02cf67c027_z.jpg

Meanwhile, out in space...

31031699885_46d9a84dc6_z.jpg

Just added the newer real life pictures with the expanded landing pad. NOTE: purists be warned, I cut a 48 x 48 down to a 40 x 48 in order to fit this in my storage and carrying bin.

On 11/21/2016 at 0:12 PM, Karateduo1 said:

Love it as always.

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you.

31777790243_e6b478b7f0_z.jpg

I just updated the main post with the updated base (in LDD only for now), and new Benny's sSS! style ship and a space station, both in real life.

I hope you guys like it!

BUMP:

35344785692_5c9affbe1a_z.jpg

Just updated the base's pictures, with newer ones coming as soon as the the postal service delivers the parts!

I haven't seen this post until now, these are some very nice mods! Now that Y Wing Javelin... :thumbup: :grin: quite the combination! I also really like that car of Bob's, it has a nice musculature element.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, Murdoch17.  Seeing your MOCs (that Y Wing / Javelin is truly awesome) and reading about your inspiration for them has been a lot of fun.  Keep it coming!

On 6/24/2017 at 7:13 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

I haven't seen this post until now, these are some very nice mods! Now that Y Wing Javelin... :thumbup: :grin: quite the combination! I also really like that car of Bob's, it has a nice musculature element.

Thanks, that ship is my second favorite, because the orange Benny's sSS! ranks slightly higher as my absolute favorite... you just can't beat a good SPACESHIP!

On 6/26/2017 at 10:09 AM, bobasdad said:

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, Murdoch17.  Seeing your MOCs (that Y Wing / Javelin is truly awesome) and reading about your inspiration for them has been a lot of fun.  Keep it coming!

Thanks!

On 6/29/2017 at 9:29 AM, LEGORACER1 said:

Though I am unfamiliar with Lego universe I love the builds.

Thanks. It was quite a game, and thanks for the compliment!

35650098615_c46545c6c1_z.jpg

The base has been updated with new pictures.... if you are interested go back to the main post! 

BUMP:

39243064644_30b6c0e0a6_z.jpg

Most of this is already built in real life (as you may know), but the square reactor power room (on the left with the satellite up-link array) is yet to be built. It features a removable roof with radiation proof center walls, within which lies the actual reactor. 

This fancy new 1920's-style model was inspired by those windscreen parts I have used here for wheel coverings. (part 6070, Windscreen 5 x 2 x 1 2/3, to be precise.)

25818386088_e4a65b7238_z.jpg

This car features the Neo Nexus Force symbol, and as such is Bob's car, to be featured on my LEGO Universe base.

39690830981_a97528f866_z.jpg

The car has opening doors, removable roof, and seating for one, while the rear of the car features a spare tire.

I plan on getting the reactor room for the base finished soon (as seen in the previous post). I just have to wait for the funds to become available.

60192-1.jpg?201804220414

Also, the 2018 Arctic themed CITY sets (one of them is shown above, picture from Brickset) are also on the to-build list, but first they need to have the dark / light blue stripped away for replacement with dark bluish gray / white for use with my older 2014 vehicles.

Any suggestions, thoughts or complaints are always welcome!