Sign in to follow this  
The Yeti

A Frigid Encounter

Stigandr’s Travels, Book I

Having grown weary of the world and finding no prospect of satisfaction in my surroundings, I departed for the northern expanse. It does not matter when, for I expect no forthcoming reunion. It is a marvel how quickly the cares of the world disappear, for it was but a scant few hours before I felt as one with the expansive wilderness. The skies opened up before me, the powdery dull blues of the northern reaches melting seamlessly into the brilliant white of my surroundings. I continued on, my pack heavy with supplies for the journey ahead and my mind full of wanderlust, aching for the joy of experience. I overnighted in an outcropping within a glacier, the wind picking up around me as I became enveloped in the chilled embrace of winter’s blizzards. I set out again at day break, and continued my journey for four days and four nights. I had by now almost exhausted my rations, and had grown weary from the monotony of my journey when I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. At first dismissing it as mere snowblindness I turned towards it, and saw three great white shapes approaching from high on a nearby cliff face.

10445563114_bb00fe6882_c.jpg

They seemed about the size of a man, but much hairier, with white fur running along the length of their bodies. As I drew closer, I could make out no clothing or adornments, but they carried objects of brilliant crystalline ice shaped like the treats popular with the children in the southern lands. I drew near, and two of the creatures extended their hands in what I perceived as a form of greeting. It was then that I gazed down at myself and chuckled, realizing that the snow and ice had transformed my beard into a facsimile of that covering these creatures. I raised my own hands in greeting, but the ardor of my journey had taken its toll, and I succumbed to the siren call of the cold, to sleep forevermore.

10462527176_7e8c1039ea_c.jpg

I awoke what seemed hours later in a strange land of crystal and rock. The air was colder than I had ever experienced, but there was no wind. I was wrapped in a cloak of sorts, made from what appeared to be wool, although I could not guess from what creature it was taken. As I shifted my eyes, I saw two of the creatures from my previous encounter coming out of the woods towards me, for the land possessed trees that seemed to have been forged rather than grown from the rocks of this alien landscape. They approached me, and motioned for me to look up. I obliged, and was astounded to see a representation of these creatures, a great stone monolith with a wide toothy expression that stood at least six men high. To its right sat a similar representation of the strange objects the creatures carried. From up close, I could now make them out as what the Mitgardians proclaim as “yetis,” particularly of the lesser variety. I was reminded of the tales of yeti hunts told in the taverns of the clan lands, of the sport these creatures provided. Yet here stood creations that showed purpose, form, and ideas far beyond that of mere game animals. The first of the yetis approached, and greeted me in the common tongue. We spoke at length, and I learned of their race and my surroundings. They share an element of common mind that links them together, a sort of sixth sense that allows each to know the feelings and intents of the other. As such, there is limited need for conflict in their society. They were aware of the hardship that had befallen their brethren in the south, but there was no anger in their words. Instead they seemed to pity the races of dwarf and man, who were forever doomed to live as isolated individuals. Their environment has shaped them as well, causing them to revere the cold and to mold themselves in the image of reservation and contemplation. I was told that I had been taken to a minor settlement in what I knew as the frozen beyond, a sacred outpost to their people. My hosts furnished me with supplies fit for my kind, evidently gathered from the southern reaches of their domain, and prepared me to continue. Before I set out again, however, one of their kind agreed to accompany me. An explorer by nature, he offered to lead me towards my next destination. My journeys have reached a crossroads, reader, and I invite you to join me in seeing where they may lead.

10445543895_e065c91051_c.jpg

A few more images as I edit them on my flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../106480828@N08/

Edited by The Yeti

This is so full of win, the builds are great! Nice trees! But what stands out for me, is the quality of the storytelling! Looking forward to more!

Nice story! Love the fist build! I almost feel bad for making a yeti hunt MOC. :grin:

These are really nice, I like the landscape with all the white flowers! Lovely trees as well, wonderful work!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Lord Vladivus: Thanks, I am currently aiming for four parts, although not on any specific timetable.

Infernum: your yeti hunt was the impetus for me to join GOH, I couldn't let that be the only portrayal of such a clever minifig.

Legonardo: Pick-a-Brick currently makes up the vast majority of my very small collection, and I still haven't found any white bricks or plates at the stores near me. The flowers as snow will thus have to do for now. They create a nice sense of snowbanks and texture, but they are a pain to arrange; this 32 x 32 plate used roughly 2/3 of a large cup worth of the 4 flower sprues.

After seeing your introductory post and vignette, I was expecting some good builds from you. This goes above and beyond my expectations. The rockwork in the first scene is terrific :thumbup: I really like the flowers as snow, and leaving a path where your character had walked is a great touch. Great tree design with those slopes, in green and white I imagine they would look very much like real pine trees. Also an excellent statue of the yeti fig. Very good story too, looking forward to seeing what else you come up with :classic:

Great story - and really nice work with the landscaping. The photography/editing is really beautiful too - that second image looks like it could almost be a digital render...

Definitely one of the best "new snow" effects I've seen! I also love the tree design and the story, looking forward to more! :thumbup:

great story telling, great mocs! Should I add this to the MCB?

Yes you should. It is an amazing story/moc, and gives more information about your guild.