Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

afol1969 / Alex: Please be patient and as soon as I get my second actuator I will let you know if two actuators can lift the boom. I purchase the second one from France to avoid all the problems with customs in Denmark.

If 2 standard Firgelli can't lift this heavy boom I will go for 2 with the alternative gearbox but they can only be purchased from Canada.

Edited by Jan Smed

Hi, Jan,

Thanks for the suggestion. So I'll wait for the results with 2 actuators. So the standard Firgelli can be purchased in France? I didn't know this, but if so, it will be fine, because so I'll need to pay high shipping costs.

Greetings (and happy new year)

Alex

you guys....you really need to stop making me want to spend so much money on one crane :D

You should it make like me: Make your own christmas giffts in buying Technic sets/parts :laugh:

(Just bought the 5571 Black Cat for 199€ :sweet: )

Greetings

Alex

You should it make like me: Make your own christmas giffts in buying Technic sets/parts :laugh:

(Just bought the 5571 Black Cat for 199€ :sweet: )

Greetings

Alex

I got myself the 42030 for christmas!

But I didn't bought much lego technic the last 10 years. Silver Champion was the last really big thing i bought. I really like all these new parts...it's really hard to not want to buy more :D

I ask my question again. is there someone that can tell me how to connect the motors in the MOC crane??? I cant find it in the instructions.

I've made an LDRAW Conversion of effermans' crane superstructure. From most LFX files 98% were correctly exported in LDRAW. I used the BI mode to control for missing or malplaced parts. It wasn't easy to combine the submodels to the whole construction as I don't know how to place them in exact position, especially for the counterweight. But I think it must be ok. Here is the result:

big_superstructure.jpeg

The LDRAW file can be downloaded here: http://www.bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Big_superstructure.mpd. The file is not stepped, only in separate submodels.

I've used LBG color for the counterweight, it brings more change in the construction color design, and I think, for make the building, it's easier to get/ have parts in LBG.

While making the LDRAW conversion, I noticed that efferman made an excellent work in design and function, so I think it's worth to build it - and maybe somebody will be a volunteer to make real BI . :wink:

Greetings

Alex

6400-carrier3.jpg?dl=0

Progress update: I've made an LDRAW Conversion with stepping for the solid axle version of the carrier. The routing for the PF cables is tricky because the PF motors and servos are located differently as compared to the independent suspension version and I have specific cables routing between the front and the rear PF elements. It's worthy to proper illustrate the PF cables with LSynth before I can release the final ldr/mpd file.

Edited by gerger

Hi gerger,

Keep on good work :classic: You'll make the cabling by LSynth? That will be not easy, I'm still not able to make a correct cable wiring :blush:

I'm looking forward to your new carrier construction :classic:

Greetings

Alex

Hi gerger,

Keep on good work :classic: You'll make the cabling by LSynth? That will be not easy, I'm still not able to make a correct cable wiring :blush:

I'm looking forward to your new carrier construction :classic:

Greetings

Alex

lsynth.jpg?dl=0

Yes, it's challenge but the result is satisfactory. I have LSynth 4 cables out of 18 in 4 hours and the whole exercise will take some time...

As the Firgelli actuator was sold out in France I had to do something to be on the safe side. I therefore ordered 2 actuactors with the alternative gearbox from Canada. These arrived today and even with an extra gear for each of them. I have only fitted one in the crane and it lifts the boom without problem. This Means that 2 standard actuators should also be abe to do it.

I still have to do the final assembly of the boom so it can be fully extended and then I will test if it can still lift the boom. Maybe I end up with fitting 2 actuators with the 210:1 gearbox.

Last thing will be getting a good profile for my SBricks in the crane and then it is ready for LEGO World in Copenhagen.

You have done some outstanding work there! Not only are the functions well executed, but you have succeeded with the aesthetics and detailing as well. :thumbup::classic:

Hi gerger, thank you for the amazing work you did! The LSynth cables are looking great, hope you didn't needed that long for the other cables. I can't wait to finally build this beast.

LPub seems to make a pretty reasonable BI from the LDRAW file.

Edited by goggel

Just finished it last weekend:

More pictures on my brickshelf

I had no problems using the 2L axles on the wheel hubs btw.

Congratulations! :thumbup:

So I suppose that there aren't any errors in the instructions. But you're pictures have very good quality, so I'll take some of them for the instructions update; still on work with the Firgelli actuator.

And I've already on work to make the instructions for gerger's carrier without suspensions :wink:

Greetings

Alex

I'm not sure if I used the latest instructions (I think I am), but there were some minor errors, like for some submodels (the outriggers for example) you had to build them 4 times, but the 'times 4' was missing in the instructions (page 14), also 'times 2' was missing on page 114.

Also, submodel-callouts were mostly missing, but that may have been intentional?

And I replaced the red 2L axle below the cabin (page 62, step 6) with a black 3L axle, because the axle was too short when attaching the cabin.

That's all I remember for now... no major errors anyway :wink:

I'm not sure if I used the latest instructions (I think I am), but there were some minor errors, like for some submodels (the outriggers for example) you had to build them 4 times, but the 'times 4' was missing in the instructions (page 14), also 'times 2' was missing on page 114.

I know about this problem, and I don't know why LPUB doesn't show the times to build. But I can correct this manually by making a note.

Also, submodel-callouts were mostly missing, but that may have been intentional?

Can you show me an example? Some submodels are to big to figure as callout on the model page, that's why I made an own page for them.

And I replaced the red 2L axle below the cabin (page 62, step 6) with a black 3L axle, because the axle was too short when attaching the cabin.

I didn't have problems with a 2L axle. But your are right, it's too short. The best will be an 2.5L axle in black.

That's all I remember for now... no major errors anyway :wink:

Greetings

Alex

on the suspension carrier there was a problem with the first differential, so I just left it out.

on the none suspension carrier, how about making the first and last axle suspended

an you show me an example? Some submodels are to big to figure as callout on the model page, that's why I made an own page for them.

For example page 15 step 7. There's no callout which shows that you have to add 2 outriggers. (like step 8 on the same page)

edit: It's called "Add assembled image to parent page" in Lpub.

Edited by Therion

For example page 15 step 7. There's no callout which shows that you have to add 2 outriggers. (like step 8 on the same page)

edit: It's called "Add assembled image to parent page" in Lpub.

Thanks!

I understand what you mean. Yes, it's not very clear when to connect some submodels to the main model. So, I've still to learn handling with LPUB :wink: As all pictures are already exported, I don't want to make all new, it was to much work. But I'll reviev all again and make the necessary text notes. An instruction update will follow the next days.

Greetings

Alex

Hello!

I am new here...

But I have several ideas.

Blakbird, please look.

CvKTaH-mLZs.jpgZkN58c74E0E.jpg

I also have ideas about steering without susp and with it.

@afol1969: Do you have some kind of incomplete BI for us building at the weekend?

Which BI? From the GMK6400 with suspensions? They are complete, I've only to make some additional notes as Therion noticed that there are some building steps not very clear, but he didn't have any problems to build it.

Or you mean the crane without suspensions? I'm just on work to create BI for it too. From effermans' superstructure I've only the CAD file.

Greetings

Alex