Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

That actuator looks pretty awesome indeed. Can you make a review of it once you've tested it, Blakbird?

That actuator looks pretty awesome indeed. Can you make a review of it once you've tested it, Blakbird?

Sure, I can do that. My hope is to be able to convert the crane to use it.

The optimizing is done. After dust removing, only some grease is necessary.

Where exactly did you use grease? Just on the gears, or also on the internal threads?

OK, I have ordered the actuator (and some wheel covers). I'll report back here how it goes. The actuator should arrive ~ Nov 23.

OK, I have ordered the actuator (and some wheel covers). I'll report back here how it goes. The actuator should arrive ~ Nov 23.

Blakbrid could you make a comparison with a firgelli actuator since you own one for Jennifer's crane?

May I know where you got it ? Any links for the store ? Model numbers if any thank you very much .

Finally I decided to order a Firgelli actuator. If I've got it, I'll build it in the crane and test it. Later I can add an extra modification instruction to the instructions.

Greetings

Alex

Finally I decided to order a Firgelli actuator. If I've got it, I'll build it in the crane and test it. Later I can add an extra modification instruction to the instructions.

Greetings

Alex

Good share good share , I'm still waiting the rest of the 40% remaining parts to arrived at my doorstep . Do you mind sharing which model of the Firgelli you have order and the links to the store ? Thanks

Good share good share , I'm still waiting the rest of the 40% remaining parts to arrived at my doorstep . Do you mind sharing which model of the Firgelli you have order and the links to the store ? Thanks

See here: http://store.firgell...l12-ev3-100.htm

and the NXT to PF Cable: http://store.firgell...able_nxt_pf.htm

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

See here: http://store.firgelli.com/product_p/l12-ev3-100.htm

and the NXT to PF Cable: http://store.firgelli.com/product_p/cable_nxt_pf.htm

And for them who want immediatley build the complete crane, here a quick'n dirty PDF file for the superstructure: :wink:

http://www.bricksafe.com/files/afol1969/Instructions/superstructure.pdf

Greetings

Alex

Thank you so much sir ! You the man here !

One more noob question , how many Firgelli actuator does we need ? 1 or 2 ?

Edited by keithleon

One more noob question , how many Firgelli actuator does we need ? 1 or 2 ?

I think one will do the job.

I have no doubt that a Firgelli actuator will work. I hope you remembered to ask them to put the lower speed gearing in it. If not, you can still make the change yourself. I don't really have a problem using a non-LEGO actuator in this case, however the big change will be that the Firgelli has an integral motor. This means that the L motor used for luffing the boom right now can be taken out, along with all its gearing. The problem with this is that the motor is used as part of the superstructure structure so it cannot be easily removed. This is one of the reasons I am leaning towards Efferman's actuator. Besides looking more scale, I'm hoping I can rig it to use the existing motor.

I have no doubt that a Firgelli actuator will work. I hope you remembered to ask them to put the lower speed gearing in it. If not, you can still make the change yourself. I don't really have a problem using a non-LEGO actuator in this case, however the big change will be that the Firgelli has an integral motor. This means that the L motor used for luffing the boom right now can be taken out, along with all its gearing. The problem with this is that the motor is used as part of the superstructure structure so it cannot be easily removed. This is one of the reasons I am leaning towards Efferman's actuator. Besides looking more scale, I'm hoping I can rig it to use the existing motor.

Sure would like to see your results with efferman's LA.

I think, this would be the best solution - if it were not so expensive ...

That actuator has been discussed, but it has problems in this application. Because it is designed to be trunnion mounted with a motor hanging off the back, there is not a good way to have it supported and to pivot properly in the superstructure. The pivot point either needs to be behind the motor or the motor needs to be remotely mounted.

I hope you remembered to ask them to put the lower speed gearing in it. If not, you can still make the change yourself.

A lower gearing? No, I haven't asked them, I didn't know there's a lower gearing necessary. And if it can be made by d.i.y. is there any description how to do?

However the big change will be that the Firgelli has an integral motor. This means that the L motor used for luffing the boom right now can be taken out, along with all its gearing. The problem with this is that the motor is used as part of the superstructure structure so it cannot be easily removed. This is one of the reasons I am leaning towards Efferman's actuator. Besides looking more scale, I'm hoping I can rig it to use the existing motor.

The fact is, that by luffing the heavy boom makes some gear creaking, and with the Firgelli has the advantage that there are no gears needed. What I'll do with the motor, I don't know. If it's needed for the superstructure stability, I'll don't take it out. Or if so, I must redesign the superstructure. And in this case it needs new superstructure instructions. The LDRAW File for the actuator from Philippe Hurbain I've already downloaded.

Greetings

Alex

A lower gearing? No, I haven't asked them, I didn't know there's a lower gearing necessary. And if it can be made by d.i.y. is there any description how to do?

This is not an advertised option. When Chase Horman first used the Firgelli actuator for Jennifer Clark's AC-50 crane, he found that the weight of the boom would sometimes backdrive the actuator. After discussing this with the people at Firgelli, they told him it was possible to change the internal gearing to make the actuator slower and more powerful. They sent him a set of gears to make this conversion (which worked great) and also indicated that they'd be happy to make the swap at the factory for anyone who asked for it. You can read a bit about it here. I would guess that you will want the lower gearing for this application since this boom is even heavier than the one on the AC-50.

it was possible to change the internal gearing to make the actuator slower and more powerful. They sent him a set of gears to make this conversion (which worked great) and also indicated that they'd be happy to make the swap at the factory for anyone who asked for it. You can read a bit about it here. I would guess that you will want the lower gearing for this application since this boom is even heavier than the one on the AC-50.

Ok, as the order is already on the shipping way, so I'll first test the actuator. If needed, I'll order the gear set later.

Greetings

Alex

Is it true that FIrgelli actuators can only be operated in max in and max out (max retracted and max extracted) mode? I mean, there is no precise control (stop in desired length, or speed control via speed remote controller), when powered via PF cable?

Is it true that FIrgelli actuators can only be operated in max in and max out (max retracted and max extracted) mode? I mean, there is no precise control (stop in desired length, or speed control via speed remote controller), when powered via PF cable?

No. They work exactly like a regular linear actuator in PF mode. You can stop anywhere you like.

If I wanted to attempt to build this particular crane is it better to purchase the 42009 first and then get the other parts required or just purchase the parts required.

If I wanted to attempt to build this particular crane is it better to purchase the 42009 first and then get the other parts required or just purchase the parts required.

This topic is discussed quite a bit in the previous thread. Starting with a copy of 42009 is a very cost effective think to do. It gets you a large portion of the required parts. Buying a second 42009 is not very effective.