rogul

train wheel Q

Probably a dumb question... but when building new carriages and the like what wheels do you guys use? I have been using my old 12V train wheels, but have run out so was wondering what the "best" to use when making something new?

thanks!

There are also a newer version of the wheel assembly here that should be cheaper than the 9v ones in the last post. Many sellers will part out the new wheels since Lego does it that way, so you may have to search for the parts to find the best deal.

There are also a newer version of the wheel assembly here that should be cheaper than the 9v ones in the last post. Many sellers will part out the new wheels since Lego does it that way, so you may have to search for the parts to find the best deal.

This is interesting - the catalog item names are different (9V vs. RC?) - but what is the differences in the parts?

I also use this, the other possibility is to manage lower part from wheelshttp://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=50254 but I don't like them, first one slided better on rails.

Are these notched to allow Technic pins through?

I think they're designed to fit on the standard road wheel connectors most City cars and small trucks use. They certainly don't fit technic bars on LDD.

This is interesting - the catalog item names are different (9V vs. RC?) - but what is the differences in the parts?

The 9-volt wheels came preassembled. The metal axle goes through each wheel and the bearing surface is on the tip of this pointy metal axle. The wheels can only be separated from the axle with quite a bit of effort, but they can be put back.

The RC wheels have to be assembled. The metal axle fits in a hole in the wheel and it does not go through it. The bearing surface is on a molded pointy part of the plastic wheel. If you take the wheels out of the wheel carrier, they fall off the axle as this fit is a bit loose.

Many AFOLs who make MOCs that do not use the wheel carrier prefer the 9 volt wheels as the wheels hold on solidly to the axle. I am one of those AFOLs but I use the RC wheels (cheaper and more readily available). However, I substitute a slightly bigger axle (0.081 inch brass rod from K & S Engineering, stock number 8168) instead of the stock steel axle. I cut it to 40mm.

Dan-147