Sign in to follow this  
jimmynick

Red Menace Mafia: Day One - Ice Station Zebra

Great, so you won't vote.

We can unvote as much as we like, so there's no harm in placing votes to see who thinks who is suspicious. In later days, these early votes can show where people's heads were at early on, after they have been revealed as town or scum. Unwillingness to place votes on day one is, in my opinion, unwillingness to help the town.

After this, we will have to take a look at the non-participators (at this point, especially Steward and Philip). They too can often be scum. Keep your mouth shut, and hope the town just squabbles among themselves.

I am not unwilling to place a vote, it is I haven´t had the time to consider who to vote for... everybody looks the same when it is this quiet.

But calling those really quiet out is good also.

There's still plenty of time to change, but to poke the sleepyheads, I'm going to

Vote: Claire Novak (Calanon)

Why? Only one fluffy post but she's been seen around the sub since without saying anything. Philip could have gotten my vote for exactly the same reason, so it's just a coin flip at this point that she got it first. Plenty of time though to change it to Philip if he needs some waking up or anyone else who looks suspicious. I don't think Trevor is deserving of a vote; his claim is too risky to be a likely fake. And Malcolm doesn't seem to be behaving atypically either, so no reason to vote for him yet either.

While I agree with Spencer about Malcolm's fluffy words, I think a miller claim is pretty suspicious. Even more suspicious is the fact that quite a few people seem to accept it right away. Seems scummy to me, and it's possible that Trevor was counting on the population to consider his early claim too audacious to be scummy. That or his scum buddies are spreading his deceit. Or a little bit of both.

Either way, I'd like to remove all doubt.

Vote: Trevor (TrumptKing)

Well that's probably just what he's thinking. He's aware that there's an investigator out there - if he is scum or a spy, he knows he'll draw the first investigation to himself and use the claim thereafter. If he is scum that's an easy way to start an infiltrated town block.

I don't like the fact that he's claiming to be undoubtedly town before anyone can do or say anything.

How does that not add up? He's claiming to come up as Spy if investigated - so there's no way to tell if he really is or not and he'll use the fact that he mentioned it early as a defense.

I'm not sure I follow your logic; you think Trevor pre-emtively outed himself as scum in the hopes that the investigator targets him to find he is scum and that would in turn allow him to infiltrate the town block ... how stupid do you think we are?

There's been a lot of back and forth on this between Spencer and Jerry but what does Trevor think of this?

I think my vote is best placed here: Vote: Jerry (JimBee) for a) trying to scuttle a claim which, altough bold, was the logical thing to do and b) thinking that we are retarded and would allow a 'confirmed' scum to join a yet-to-be-formed town block.

Nice to see you back Philip and you have a point in your voting about Jerry´s logic.

But it can be that Jerry is a bit rusty in these "sub games" I don´t know but defn. agree that it is worth asking out.

I will also wanna hear him out.

Vote: Jerry (JimBee)

I agree with Monty also, wanna hear out the quiet Claire. What I also stated in comment #52 but I vote for Jerry

For now I'm keeping my vote on Claire, but I too agree with Philip that Jerry was too anti-Trevor. Jeremy was suspicious, but responded properly when educated on millers since he's a newer crewman, but Jerry is a pretty experienced torpedoman....

Wow, a lot of good thoughts on possible day 1 lynch suspects. However for now I'm casting my vote on Claire. With not much to say so far and really no contributions to day 1 character development fluff. So Claire, I for one would like to know what you have to say?

Vote: Claire (Calanon)

I feel like Jerry should have enough experience to know this is the most logical thing for a miller to do. We're playing a small game here. It seems like it would be counterproductive for the scum to take a risk like claiming miller.

Maybe if his reasons were tighter I'd be less inclined to find it suspicious, but:

Well that's probably just what he's thinking. He's aware that there's an investigator out there - if he is scum or a spy, he knows he'll draw the first investigation to himself and use the claim thereafter.

Why would the investigator waste their action on someone who has already said they'll come up scum? :wacko:

This says to me he's grasping at straws here. Whether he's a miller or he's lying scum, he's sure as hell not going to come up town. :laugh: There's zero reason for an investigator to target him. His logic doesn't add up at all.

Vote: Jerry (JimBee)

Vote Tally:

Monty Thornton (mostlytechnic): 1 (Bob)

Trevor Knowles (TrumpetKing): 1 (JimBee)

Malcolm Cooper (Mencot): 1 (Speedy)

Claire Novak (Calanon): 2 (mostlytechnic, adventurer1)

Jerry Bergeron (JimBee): 2 (PirateDave84, Mencot, CallMePie)

26 hours remain in the day!

14 hours remain in today's puzzle!

With very little to go on in the first day, Claire's Silence and Jerry's odd approach to the miller situation stand above the rest. My current inclination is to vote for Claire, however, hearing from her could change that thought. Claire, if you happen to be checking in, now would be a good time for you to come to the deck and chat. If not, I will follow through with my vote unless something drastically changes.

Sir, is it possible your calculator was broken?

We all know I don't know how deep we are!

Vote Tally:

Jerry Bergeron (JimBee): 3 (PirateDave84, Mencot, CallMePie)

With very little to go on in the first day, Claire's Silence and Jerry's odd approach to the miller situation stand above the rest. My current inclination is to vote for Claire, however, hearing from her could change that thought. Claire, if you happen to be checking in, now would be a good time for you to come to the deck and chat. If not, I will follow through with my vote unless something drastically changes.

Voting for non-participants on the first day is, as I have learnt from experience, a rather bad idea. Why choose silence over irrational talk?

Vote Tally:

Jerry Bergeron (JimBee): 3 (PirateDave84, Mencot, CallMePie)

Thanks!

Ah, but you DO know how deep we are (and how deep we were), you just aren't sure how to process that data.

Technically correct, the very best kind of correct.

Now sir, would you like something to eat or drink? We've got a long voyage ahead while we hunt these scum...

Voting for non-participants on the first day is, as I have learnt from experience, a rather bad idea. Why choose silence over irrational talk?

Very true, crewman. That's why I was clear in my initial vote for her that it was only a poke. Since then, she's gotten another vote against her and a third person threatening to. However, a quick check of the logs shows she hasn't been around since my prodding. Makes me think that first, I should

Unvote: Claire Novak (Calanon)

and second, that I should keep an eye on Adrienne and Jeremy as potential scum since they seemed to be trying to bandwagon her...

Ah, but you DO know how deep we are (and how deep we were), you just aren't sure how to process that data.

Technically correct, the very best kind of correct.

AH! I love this sentence!

Thanks!

Quite true from my experience too (all 2 games) however, I don't see anything wrong with an attempt to strong arm her into the conversation. However, I have noted the above comment the she's been inactive since these posts have occurred, which I had not checked. I'll take that into consideration before making any rash votes.

Thanks!

Quite true from my experience too (all 2 games) however, I don't see anything wrong with an attempt to strong arm her into the conversation. However, I have noted the above comment the she's been inactive since these posts have occurred, which I had not checked. I'll take that into consideration before making any rash votes.

Thanks!

Unvote: Claire Novak (Calanon)

and second, that I should keep an eye on Adrienne and Jeremy as potential scum since they seemed to be trying to bandwagon her...

Bandwagon ... One vote (technically 2 if we count yours) and one 'prod' .. not sure this qualifies as a bandwagon just yet. By your logic, you should be wary of yourself; BANDWAGONNER! :sarcasm_smug:

(Note to all, I am posting from my phone which froze in then posted 3 times straight. I sincerely apologize for the duplicates, I simply can't edit due to the game. Again, sorry)

AH! I love this sentence!

Why thank you. Seeing as how we're in the 80s and Futurama won't start this meme for another 30 years, I do believe I should quickly trademark this phrase so I can get rich when I'm older :)

Well excuse me. Maybe it has been a while since I've experienced a crisis like this, but to me claiming miller on day one is pretty fishy. Saying "hey btw even though I'll come up as scum and may act scummy, I'm not scum. Carry on." and then not saying anything since... Does this not ping any radars for anyone? I guess not.

Strange how people are rushing to his defense and accepting his claim without so much as an ounce of doubt. Especially Malcolm. No I don't think you're stupid, but worse has happened to smarter people in crises similar to this. And since you've come under fire with a vote from Spencer and suspicion from others, you seem eager to shift the attention to someone else - me, Claire, Phillip...

Well excuse me. Maybe it has been a while since I've experienced a crisis like this, but to me claiming miller on day one is pretty fishy. Saying "hey btw even though I'll come up as scum and may act scummy, I'm not scum. Carry on." and then not saying anything since... Does this not ping any radars for anyone? I guess not.

Strange how people are rushing to his defense and accepting his claim without so much as an ounce of doubt. Especially Malcolm. No I don't think you're stupid, but worse has happened to smarter people in crises similar to this. And since you've come under fire with a vote from Spencer and suspicion from others, you seem eager to shift the attention to someone else - me, Claire, Phillip...

What would you have done? Based on previous encounters, Trevor is more likely (IMO) to be investigated early on; I would have done the same. I have to admit that his dropping this on us and then leaving to 'read' was a bit ill-timed but I am enclined to believe the claim as it does not make sense for scum to out themselves this early and in this bold fashion. we can surely look at Trevor later.

Why would Trevor be more likely to be investigated sooner? Am I missing something that made him suspicious before his claim?

Why would Trevor be more likely to be investigated sooner? Am I missing something that made him suspicious before his claim?

No, just that he's a very experienced sailor and so someone that the town I'm sure would want to check out soon to determine his loyalties

Many of us have served with Trevor on other ships and have some experience with him.

This

No, just that he's a very experienced sailor and so someone that the town I'm sure would want to check out soon to determine his loyalties

Many of us have served with Trevor on other ships and have some experience with him.

It's super-meta of me to say that but it's the reality.

Not that people should be investigated based on their experience on other subs, but doesn't that just reinforce my suspicions of him? If he knew he was likely to be investigated early, a preemptive miller claim would be a good move for a spy.