somelegothings_

Jurassic World 2015 Rumors & Discussion

I agree with 75820 Raptor Escape being the set showed in the promo picture.

The prices look good!

6 sets? I thought there was only 5? Not complaining!

I know the image shows "Jurassic World", but "Dilophosaurus Ambush" sounds to me like it could be Dennis Nedry's escape in the first movie... maybe just wishful thinking? :wink:

Hopefully we get some images soon!

I would say best case we have an alternating line with the upcoming summer sets focusing on Jurassic World and a winter series based on Classic Jurassic Park movies similar to the Hobbit and LOTR line. Worse case is the movie bombs and we only get a JW line. Not likely since they are already in talks to make sequels.

Not likely since they are already in talks to make sequels.

I can't say I'm surprised. If they weren't planning sequels, this film probably would be just Jurassic Park 4, and not Jurassic World. I don't know if there is other reason for changing the name.

I can see Jurassic World being a trilogy.

I'm glad to hear people are thinking this will be a line like LOTR - they could easily cover the three original films and the Jurassic World sequel over about five years, giving us everything we need. Here's hoping. :D

But if it's a trilogy, the videogame will come out after 2 other movies. Eh, I hoped this spring.

Do we reckon this'll be a One Wave Wonder like Lone Ranger, or a multiple wave thing? :classic:

It's hard to say when you still haven't seen the movie or the sets but I doubt we'll get more than one wave for this movie. Nowadays TLG tends to be careful with licensed themes and only releases 1 wave/movie, even for popular stuff like The Avengers.

If there is a second wave though, I imagine it will be based on the other movies in the franchise... but that also depends on the type of contract they signed.

I can't say I'm surprised. If they weren't planning sequels, this film probably would be just Jurassic Park 4, and not Jurassic World. I don't know if there is other reason for changing the name.

I can see Jurassic World being a trilogy.

I thought they announced that a while ago. At some point it was unclear if these movies were going to be sequels or reboots but the idea of a new trilogy has always been around.

It's hard to say when you still haven't seen the movie or the sets but I doubt we'll get more than one wave for this movie. Nowadays TLG tends to be careful with licensed themes and only releases 1 wave/movie, even for popular stuff like The Avengers.

It's possible it could have multiple waves. Jurassic World is only the most recent film in a larger series of films, so this could end up being like the Indiana Jones theme. I'm sure popularity and sales will ultimately be the deciding factor though, if it's worth pursuing than Lego will find a way. Also if more Ideas projects based on JP keep getting the votes it might inspire Lego to expand the theme. Really with Lego you never quite know what they'll do next.

Also I don't really think you can compare this to the Avengers all that much. The Avengers is only a sub-theme in the Marvel theme which is already a sub-theme of the superheroes theme. It really doesn't function like most licenses, so it probably shouldn't be taken as the model for a standard licensed theme. There's movies/TV shows/comics for those sets to be based on, sometimes even multiples movies and shows at the same time. They couldn't possibly do multiple waves off of one movie simply because there's too much of a demand for a diverse line-up.

Edited by strangely

It's possible it could have multiple waves. Jurassic World is only the most recent film in a larger series of films, so this could end up being like the Indiana Jones theme. I'm sure popularity and sales will ultimately be the deciding factor though, if it's worth pursuing than Lego will find a way. Also if more Ideas projects based on JP keep getting the votes it might inspire Lego to expand the theme. Really with Lego you never quite know what they'll do next.

Also I don't really think you can compare this to the Avengers all that much. The Avengers is only a sub-theme in the Marvel theme which is already a sub-theme of the superheroes theme. It really doesn't function like most licenses, so it probably shouldn't be taken as the model for a standard licensed theme. There's movies/TV shows/comics for those sets to be based on, sometimes even multiples movies and shows at the same time. They couldn't possibly do multiple waves off of one movie simply because there's too much of a demand for a diverse line-up.

Yeah but that's why I said they'd probably release sets based on the previous movies if they ever make a second wave. The problem here is the name change, they can't release Jurassic World and Jurassic Park sets under a single theme like they did for Indiana Jones. They'll have to do the same thing they did for LotR and the Hobbit and create a second theme with its distinct wave(s). Obviously they'll focus on JW first and my guess is there won't be more than one wave based on the new movie.

But what is a standard licensed theme then? The point is they didn't make more than 1 wave/movie for any movie theme (which usually means a maximum of 6 sets), the only exception so far being Star Wars... and that's because it pretty much is their flagship license.

Edited by Elrond

It might be the case that Lego only has the licence for JW not JP.

But what is a standard licensed theme then? The point is they didn't make more than 1 wave/movie for any movie theme (which usually means a maximum of 6 sets), the only exception so far being Star Wars... and that's because it pretty much is their flagship license.

There's not exactly a standard. I think it varies based on what the movie franchise is in itself. So perhaps comparing this movie to the other movies might establish a better baseline of what to expect. The movie licenses that usually end up being one wave are generally based on franchises that never had more than one movie (POTC being the obvious exception, though I do think it technically had two waves, a spring and a fall), so that right there makes it hard to compare to a movie franchise that's four movies in.

I tend to compare it to Indiana Jones as it had four movies in it's franchise at the time it became a theme, so a similar movie franchise might dictate a similar theme. I guess there's not really a perfect comparison (As it's rare Lego gets a movie theme that's multiple movies into it's franchise), but comparing it to a one off theme or an Evergreen theme isn't workable either, at least not right now.

The Jurassic franchise is sort of odd as it's intended to be two different movie franchises technically (Park and World). So there really might not be a good baseline just because the studio has carved up the franchise. I could see this theme evolving into a Harry Potter sized theme if more movies are made.

Edited by strangely

One thought I had was maybe Lego want to make senteosan JP ideas project, it is very impressive larger than any ideas set we have seen without being ridiculous (If they needed to they could take out the gate and base). We know currant movie sets sell better than older ones so maybe lego is happy to just make world sets but also like the idea of a one off set with a brick built dino and this is a good way to do it though ideas otherwise people would wonder why this set does not really fit in with JW sets. Just a thought but I would be very happy with the idea set being our JP set.

Edited by SMC

I definitely feel there is potential for a long-lasting subline here - it all depends on Lego! :classic:

i disagree. i dont think therell be mroe than 1 wave for each new movie. It's just more dino. the old movies are not big hits with current kids, and theres not really the best oppertunities for standout sets... the RV lab could be cool tho.

This is what I think here too. One movie, one wave of Lego sets. When the sets are created with love and passion, then one wave is enough for me and I am pleased.

Agreed,one wave is enough.Especially since it has 6 sets,I think people we'll be pleased because personally I am.

And since the Jurassic Park trilogy is pretty old and wont be as famous for the kids nowdays I doubt will see any sets.

Edited by LOTR343

What about LotR? Toy Story had at least two waves, but it the same ear, and Cars had 3+ waves in two years.

It's a license, LEGO will make as many sets / waves as they can and feel will sell. Who knows what legal issues every license theme might have.

There's not exactly a standard. I think it varies based on what the movie franchise is in itself. So perhaps comparing this movie to the other movies might establish a better baseline of what to expect. The movie licenses that usually end up being one wave are generally based on franchises that never had more than one movie (POTC being the obvious exception, though I do think it technically had two waves, a spring and a fall), so that right there makes it hard to compare to a movie franchise that's four movies in.

I tend to compare it to Indiana Jones as it had four movies in it's franchise at the time it became a theme, so a similar movie franchise might dictate a similar theme. I guess there's not really a perfect comparison (As it's rare Lego gets a movie theme that's multiple movies into it's franchise), but comparing it to a one off theme or an Evergreen theme isn't workable either, at least not right now.

The Jurassic franchise is sort of odd as it's intended to be two different movie franchises technically (Park and World). So there really might not be a good baseline just because the studio has carved up the franchise. I could see this theme evolving into a Harry Potter sized theme if more movies are made.

Yeah but we're back to what I said in my first post. If there is more than one wave, the other(s) will be about JP (if they got the JP license, as SMC said). I just don't think we'll see more of JW until the sequel comes out.

PotC, LotR, The Hobbit and Indiana Jones all have more than one movie but none of those themes had more than 1 wave/film. The only real exception is Star Wars.

I don't think it could become a new HP though. JP doesn't have the same appeal to kids nowadays. They still probably love dinosaurs but it's definitely not as big as HP was in 2001.

What about LotR? Toy Story had at least two waves, but it the same ear, and Cars had 3+ waves in two years.

It's a license, LEGO will make as many sets / waves as they can and feel will sell. Who knows what legal issues every license theme might have.

LotR is 3 movies and 2 waves. Same with Toy Story I believe.

Cars is 2 movies + a tv series. Also it's a pretty unusual theme without minifigs, they pretty much had to release a set for each character.

So based on SMC's calculations and a little guesswork:

75915 Pteranodon Capture $12

75916 Dilophosaurus Ambush $20

75917 Raptor Rampage $40

75918 T-Rex Tracker $50

75919 Ultra Dino $70

75820 Raptor Escape $120

I could be way off but it's a start. Here's hoping for a large compound for the $70 set and the monorail for the $120 one.

I disagree (although I like your guess work and think your reasoning is great).

I think Raptor Escape is going to be an exclusive. The main focus of the set is the raptors (I think two will be included) and i really don't believe it'll be large enough to be a £120 set. I'd hazard a guess that it's around £35-£55 and was not part if the original price list (hence it being a exclusive).

Judging by the rest of the set list, My predictions:

-"Ultra Dino" is the £120 set, with the D-Rex and a raptor or the ceolyphisis thrown in.

-T-Rex Tracker is £70

-Raptor Rampage is £50 and comes with another two raptors

-Pteranodon Capture is £20, which means there's an easy way to get that epic pterosaur :)

Dilophosaurus Ambush is the confusing one for me, as it's great we're getting that dino, Lego will have to make a new head mould and the "ambush" sounds pretty cool, however I have no idea if the Dilophosaurus will be the only dinosaur included. It could be £40, but then again i have no idea how big a set like that could be.

It's not looking good for a Lego Mosasaurus...:(

BTW djmangunz, sorry to step on your toes a bit and steal some of your ideas.

Agreed,one wave is enough.Especially since it has 6 sets,I think people we'll be pleased because personally I am.

And since the Jurassic Park trilogy is pretty old and wont be as famous for the kids nowdays I doubt will see any sets.

I think the fact there are six sets is a big indicator there isn't going to be another wave. If we do get any JP sets most likely it would be a larger exclusive set. Perhaps a main gate, a car or two, 5 or six figs and couple of dinosaurs. A nice tribute to the original but not overshadowing the new film.

A nice tribute to the original but not overshadowing the new film.

I agree,an exclusive set wont be bad.And if they do make one I hope it'll be based on JP3....Just the thought of a Lego Spinosaurus makes me excited!!!