agoodfella77

An Open Letter to The LEGO Group: SDCC Exclusive Minifigures

That is how I read it, too. I don't understand is what makes one exclusive minifig acceptable and not another.

Because then he can buy the non-stamped one for his collection and not feel LEGO is screwing him out of a character he'll never have a chance to get otherwise.

This is a very fair comment and in fact I absolutely encourage it.

Pro or Con, it helps raise awareness within TLG that this is an important issue that their customers care about.

Do you really encourage a fair and open discussion?

You also said this in your original comment with the above:

Having said that, I am very confident that any fair and objective assessment of this situation will clearly side with the "con" SDCC exclusive side and further that any "pro" argument, if anything, will only serve to highlight the inequity of this system. I certainly feel the "pro" argument hardly has a leg to stand on, and that the more you say it out loud, the more you realize that it doesn't make any sense.

I just joined here today to share my feelings on the subject.

Lego, as any company has the right to market and sell their products as they see fit. Consumers have the right to agree or disagree with all or part of said companies decisions and or actions vocally and or with their money.

I attended this years San Diego Comic Con and spent a lot of money to do so. Airfare, hotel, rent a car, con tickets, food. Not for Lego or any manufacturer, but to enjoy the con and have fun. Before the show I checked out the "exclusives" for all the of the manufacturers on the con floor and thought "hey this is cool" for various items so I made plans to try to purchase the items I was interested in. One of those companies was Lego. I am in no way as schooled or as "into" Lego per se as the majority of the members here or on any other forum I imagine. I just thought some of the Lego "exclusives" were interesting. They made be become interested in Lego for the first time as an adult. I like "Star Wars", the classic 66 series "Batman", and was becoming interested in "Guardians of the Galaxy", so I thought the Lego items were worth getting in line for each morning. I also heard about the "free giveaway" and that they were also "exclusive, limited, San Diego Comic Con only figures" and wanted to give them a try too. So very early Thursday morning I lined up outside to get into the con floor. We were let in about 9 am (the show opened 30 min early every day of the con), and by the time I got to the Lego booth it was too late. All tickets were given away to purchase the 3 exclusives for the day. Oh well I said, I will try Fri. I then went upstairs outside to try to get in the line for the first giveaway by Lego and while I could have gotten in line, it was way too hot and long a line for me to bother so i went back to the con and had fun on the floor. I tried again Friday as well (both the Lego Store/Booth Line and outside raffle) with the same negative results.

On Saturday I decided to get in line a little earlier and lo and behold I was about number 60 or 70 in the Lego Store line and was all set to receive my 3 tickets to purchase the 3 exclusives. However, after waiting about 15 min in line Lego employees decided do something sleazy and unethical. They literally reversed the line after everyone was lined up and waiting making the end the front and the other side (the original front) the end. They said it was to prevent dealers who got in early from being at the front of the line but 2 things make that statement invalid. 1.) Anyone with a dealer pass in line was taken out of the line an unable to purchase, and 2.) Being say number 40, 50, 60 or more is not the front of the line. Anyway I, and other convention goers were very upset by this but the Lego employees (especially an extremely tall, thin, younger Caucasian guy and a short, heavier, older balding Caucasian guy were pretty rude about it). After this fiasco put on by Lego, I and a few others went immediately outside, upstairs to try for the free exclusive giveaway. As it was so early we were like number 30 in that line and we had to wait about 2 hours before we had a shot at winning the exclusive figure for Saturday, the Batman figure. Shock of all shocks I won it. It slightly made up for what happened earlier but not quite, though I was fortunate to have won it :).

On Sunday, I tried once more for the 3 exclusives and was even earlier on line and was about number 40 on the Lego booth line and guess what happened? Lego STOPPED giving out tickets after about the 20th or 30th person or so (and even then they only got tickets to buy 1 or 2 of the exclusives, not all 3 as was advertised by Lego, as 200, or was it 250? sets or all 3 were to be sold PER DAY). Everyone on line was freaking out asking where are the other 150-200 sets, etc and Lego staff said "we ran out", which appears to a be a flat out lie according to their public announcements on what was to be sold each day. So again, I went upstairs to wait outside for 2 hours to try for the last exclusive giveaway, the Unikitty and was about number 20 or 30 in line. Once again, I won a figure. I was like wow, they must have a ton of these to give out as I won one 2 days in a row.

Ok, now the reason for the long detailed explanation about my experiences with Lego and their employees (most were nice, a few of the higher ups listed above were rude as hell),lines, and exclusives is this. I initially had no interest in Lego but the exclusives are what made me stand in line (my choice) for hours (then got screwed by Lego employees at their Lego Store no less). Owning something special, limited, and different is what attracted me to Lego. I liked the exclusives offered a lot (I could see many die hard Lego fans felt the same way). I was not mad about anything being exclusive or the low quantity(1000, numbered sets) of the 3 sets for sale. That is what got me excited for some reason. The rarity thing kicked in as well as me liking the designs. If the items were not limited or different than everyday Lego, why bother to put so much effort into something you could but at a toy store any day of the week? Now don't jump on me as I understand it might not matter to passionate, die hard Lego supporters and fans ;). however to me and many other collectors or fun and or cool things, owning something that's uncommon or different of which you get enjoyment from can make owning and enjoying it that much nicer. If Lego stops the unique, original, and different exclusives they definitely will lose a very large amount of new fans and old.

Where can I send an email to Lego asking them to not stop having exclusives?

Edited by TotallyNewLegoFan

Because then he can buy the non-stamped one for his collection and not feel LEGO is screwing him out of a character he'll never have a chance to get otherwise.

You wrote "character" but the title of this thread contains "Exclusive Minifigures." I think a minifig with a unique stamp that is only available at an event is (or is even more) exclusive. People have different sets of criteria when defining what "exclusive" means, plus people have different boundaries about what they are willing to do to get something. Where does someone draw the line? Does anyone honestly feel LEGO is screwing them buy not making a collectible item available to everyone else on Earth for the same price and in the same quantities at an easily-accessible PoP? A lot of collectors would call that entitlement not collecting. People define what they want to collect, accept the challenges they set for themselves, then embark upon their quests.

I'm going to stop here. I've written a few versions of this reply but I'm just baffled about what to say if someone feels like LEGO of all companies "is screwing him" by making a limited-release product.

Edited by m0dulo

Isn't a publicly-available minifig that is only available at SDCC 20xx with "SDCC 20xx" stamped on it just as or possibly more exclusive than one that is only available at SDCC 20xx?

It's a fair question.

This is just one possible solution that I think could be considered. Granted, I think it's a less than ideal solution, but it's one nonetheless.

Handing out SDCC exclusives with a "SDCC 20xx" stamped on the minifigures resolves at least two issues:

1) It continues to provide conference attendees with the "conference swag" that people have pointed out is important to them

2) For those who don't attend they don't feel as though they are missing a mainstrean minifig -- it's very clear that these minifigs are promotional exclusives

But again, I think it's a sub-optimal solution, but one that is at least better than the system they have in place now.

Do you really encourage a fair and open discussion?

You also said this in your original comment with the above:

You are confusing confidence with not being fair. I am confident that the merits of my arguments far outweigh the counter arguments. I am happy to have a fair and open discussion and, in fact, I encourage it precisely because my view that when all of the arguments are laid down on the table, it is clear that the "cons" side has a far better case. Being confident and being fair are not mutually exclusive things.

I just joined here today to share my feelings on the subject.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your input.

You wrote "character" but the title of this thread contains "Exclusive Minifigures." I think a minifig with a unique stamp that is only available at an event is (or is even more) exclusive. People have different sets of criteria when defining what "exclusive" means, plus people have different boundaries about what they are willing to do to get something. Where does someone draw the line? Does anyone honestly feel LEGO is screwing them buy not making a collectible item available to everyone else on Earth for the same price and in the same quantities at an easily-accessible PoP? A lot of collectors would call that entitlement not collecting. People define what they want to collect, accept the challenges they set for themselves, then embark upon their quests.

I'm going to stop here. I've written a few versions of this reply but I'm just baffled about what to say if someone feels like LEGO of all companies "is screwing him" by making a limited-release product.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by agoodfella

Just for the record, I support the SDCC20xx idea. It gives con attendees a rare exclusive, while the consumer who isn't able to attend/pay truly ridiculous sums on eBay to buy from scalpers(e.g., nearly everyone) is still able to acquire the characters/character outfits for their collection.

You will notice my use of the word "characters". That is a key word. I'm not protesting LEGO's right to make con exclusives, I'm protesting their making exclusive characters and costumes. Sure, you don't have to have Zur-En-Arrh* Batman to have a Bat-Cave...but what if I, rather reasonably, want my Bat-Cave to have the usual row of Batsuits? There will always be one space empty, unless I let some scalper take his pound of plastic.

*Granted, someone will of course point out that Zur-En-Arrh Batman was originally from another planet...Until Grant Morris's take on it, in which it is a suit that Batman wears as an alternate persona of sorts.

Just for the record, I support the SDCC20xx idea. It gives con attendees a rare exclusive, while the consumer who isn't able to attend/pay truly ridiculous sums on eBay to buy from scalpers(e.g., nearly everyone) is still able to acquire the characters/character outfits for their collection.

You will notice my use of the word "characters". That is a key word. I'm not protesting LEGO's right to make con exclusives, I'm protesting their making exclusive characters and costumes. Sure, you don't have to have Zur-En-Arrh* Batman to have a Bat-Cave...but what if I, rather reasonably, want my Bat-Cave to have the usual row of Batsuits? There will always be one space empty, unless I let some scalper take his pound of plastic.

*Granted, someone will of course point out that Zur-En-Arrh Batman was originally from another planet...Until Grant Morris's take on it, in which it is a suit that Batman wears as an alternate persona of sorts.

Solid points. Thanks for your input.

This is just one possible solution that I think could be considered. Granted, I think it's a less than ideal solution, but it's one nonetheless.

Handing out SDCC exclusives with a "SDCC 20xx" stamped on the minifigures resolves at least two issues:

1) It continues to provide conference attendees with the "conference swag" that people have pointed out is important to them

2) For those who don't attend they don't feel as though they are missing a mainstrean minifig -- it's very clear that these minifigs are promotional exclusives

As long as the exclusive is truly an exclusive, meaning, different pain-job or design, I'm all for putting Comic Con 20** on an exclusive item. However, just slapping Comic Con 20** on the same exact item or figure to be released later publicly is not cool.

You want the same figure, go to Comic Con, or whatever convention an exclusive is at. To be even more fair, taking into account those that cannot go for whatever reason, release a different version (different paint-job/color/style) of the figure publicly.

You are confusing confidence with not being fair. I am confident that the merits of my arguments far outweigh the counter arguments. I am happy to have a fair and open discussion and, in fact, I encourage it precisely because my view that when all of the arguments are laid down on the table, it is clear that the "cons" side has a far better case. Being confident and being fair are not mutually exclusive things.

I'm not confusing anything. It isn't "clear" that those complaining have a "far better case". Maybe you feel that way which is your right, but please don't speak for others. The view as to who is right is very subjective ;).

Either way, both "sides" have views that are valid up to a point. I wasn't aware it was a contest as to whose side is "better". Again, a subjective opinion.

On another note. Why are you hijacking multiple threads on this forum with the same comments you made here in your own thread?

Wouldn't it better serve you to keep your comments in one, organized thread? Especially one you started on the subject?

Honestly, i feel that few minifigs released annually in the comic con will create some hype and excitement. Tats the fun of collecting. If you are able to get (etc, bid in ebay or go the raffles in sdcc), the satisfaction of getting it is there, unlike common minifigs where you can get it easily in box sets. This is my personal opinion although I only own 2 sdcc exclusives so far.

On another note. Why are you hijacking multiple threads on this forum with the same comments you made here in your own thread?

Wouldn't it better serve you to keep your comments in one, organized thread? Especially one you started on the subject?

Hmm, I guess whenever someone has an opinion you don't agree with it's "hijacking" -- very interesting. You make it seem like there are multiple different threads on completely different topics -- like it was a thread about the World Cup and then all of the sudden I chime in with my view on SDCC exclusives.

Um no, these were clearly threads that either began as discussions about SDCC exclusives or were threads that had already ventured into a discussion about SDCC exclusives. Please provide evidence otherwise. I'll be waiting (somehow I got a feeling I'll be waiting a long time).

And thanks for your kind suggestion, but you know what? I'm good. I'll speak my mind whenever and however I please without the thought police trying to dictate when and how I speak my mind. Thanks again though.

Edited by agoodfella

I think the SDCC exclusives are great and I would like them to continue. My only concern is that the bootlegs are becoming so good that we need extra authenticity protection for the originals.

While the SDCC figs trade at high prices compared to normal figures, they are not priced highly compared to cars, handbags, shoes, watches, paintings, or other limited supply collectables.

Remember all the moaning and misery about the SDCC exclusive green lantern figure meaning we would never get a green lantern in a set... And now we are getting a green lantern set. Awesome!

While the SDCC figs trade at high prices compared to normal figures, they are not priced highly compared to cars, handbags, shoes, watches, paintings, or other limited supply collectables.

You...do realize that cars are a completely different market than minifigures, don't you?

LEGO exclusives, even as the fanbase expands, are still selling to a fairly small market. It's a matter of percentages, and the eBay scalpers are getting a pretty sweet deal on them.

SDCC are at the top of the chain as the prices of LEGO collectibles go. LEGO rates them as being worth about $2, give or take. Now, let's just go with the lowball number of a exclusive being worth, say, $250. That's 12,500.00% percent more than the original price. Compare that to a Cafe Corner, originally costing $139.99, now selling for, let's say, $2,000. The percent? 1,428.67% more. That's a huge difference.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

You...do realize that cars are a completely different market than minifigures, don't you?

LEGO exclusives, even as the fanbase expands, are still selling to a fairly small market. It's a matter of percentages, and the eBay scalpers are getting a pretty sweet deal on them.

SDCC are at the top of the chain as the prices of LEGO collectibles go. LEGO rates them as being worth about $2, give or take. Now, let's just go with the lowball number of a exclusive being worth, say, $250. That's 12,500.00% percent more than the original price. Compare that to a Cafe Corner, originally costing $139.99, now selling for, let's say, $2,000. The percent? 1,428.67% more. That's a huge difference.

These are fantastic and incredibly relevant points. The dollar values on an absolute basis is not the proper metric. It's comparing the RELATIVE values that illuminates and brings the point home.

Edited by agoodfella

I wonder on average how much $ it costs someone to go to the con and get the figures. I am talking travel expenses, accommodations, etc, not to mention time invested. When you factor all of these things in, being able to sit at home and pay $200 for something actually seems reasonable.

I wonder on average how much $ it costs someone to go to the con and get the figures. I am talking travel expenses, accommodations, etc, not to mention time invested. When you factor all of these things in, being able to sit at home and pay $200 for something actually seems reasonable.

Especially since most of the are raffled off, so you might not even get one if you do go. Edited by obsidianheart

Hmm, I guess whenever someone has an opinion you don't agree with it's "hijacking" -- very interesting. You make it seem like there are multiple different threads on completely different topics -- like it was a thread about the World Cup and then all of the sudden I chime in with my view on SDCC exclusives.

Um no, these were clearly threads that either began as discussions about SDCC exclusives or were threads that had already ventured into a discussion about SDCC exclusives. Please provide evidence otherwise. I'll be waiting (somehow I got a feeling I'll be waiting a long time).

And thanks for your kind suggestion, but you know what? I'm good. I'll speak my mind whenever and however I please without the thought police trying to dictate when and how I speak my mind. Thanks again though.

You "guessed" wrong.

Definition of thread hijacking from various online publicly available sources:

""Hijacking a thread" refers to behavior that when someone comes into a thread conversation (usually after more than a few posts have been made to a thread) and focuses on one tiny aspect of the original poster's topic, and moves the entire thread off-topic by replying to just that one aspect. or to focus more on a new topic presented in the new posters comment."

You have done this a few times in different threads here.

Please provide evidence otherwise. I'll be waiting (somehow I got a feeling I'll be waiting a long time).

Sure, no problem. Also, your "feeling" about waiting a long time is incorrect too ;). Are 2 different threads not started by you and not specifically about your complaining (your right of course to complain) about SDCC exclusives being bad proof enough for you? They're your words and posts so they should be sufficient.

http://www.eurobrick...ic=68795&st=125 Post #130

http://www.eurobrick...opic=98140&st=0 Post #5

I'll speak my mind whenever and however I please without the thought police trying to dictate when and how I speak my mind. Thanks again though.

Good for you. I never said otherwise.

Having different views on subjects is a normal part of life. Based on some of your posts on the matter it appears you take issue with those that do not subscribe to your way of thinking.

You are free to (and should), feel however you wish, nobody is stopping you. However, let me make one thing clear, you don' speak for me. Nor will I allow you to attribute something untrue about me. See your quote below:

without the thought police trying to dictate when and how I speak my mind

I am not the "thought police" and never attempted to "dictate when and how you speak your mind".

Happy collecting :).

Good for you. I never said otherwise.

Having different views on subjects is a normal part of life. Based on some of your posts on the matter it appears you take issue with those that do not subscribe to your way of thinking.

You are free to (and should), feel however you wish, nobody is stopping you. However, let me make one thing clear, you don' speak for me. Nor will I allow you to attribute something untrue about me. See your quote below:

I am not the "thought police" and never attempted to "dictate when and how you speak your mind".

Happy collecting :).

I'm on agoodfella's side when it comes to vigorously standing against the SDCC exclusives, but I do agree with this.

agoodfella: I think you're letting this argument control your emotions. You started out as being a really calm, reasonable person(something I admired, we really could use more of those), but this last comment feels kind of angry. I think I understand what you're feeling, as I've had the same issue too.

I think you should take a day off from posting here, and just go breathe. Play with your kids, take your wife to dinner, etc. The thread and the argument aren't going anywhere, and you can come back rested, and calm.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, it just reminds me a lot of how I've acted in a previous situation (we really need an :embarrassed: fig head)...

Edited by Lind Whisperer

These are fantastic and incredibly relevant points. The dollar values on an absolute basis is not the proper metric. It's comparing the RELATIVE values that illuminates and brings the point home.

We'll agree to see it differently. I think the $ price absolutely is the right comparison.

I would love to buy a Ferrari Dino for its original $14000 price too but I can't because the price had gone up in the secondary market. Should I ask Ferrari to stop making nice cars in case I can't afford them in the secondary market?

No one has bought these for $2, it is not a meaningful starting price. It would cost me $3000 to get to SDCC. All I want is the figs and I can get them all for under $3000 with 100% certainty and no queuing via ebay so thank you scalpers.

These are supply-limited consumer commodities with very little intrinsic value. Why should a green arrow trade much cheaper than a Matisse or Picasso print, or indeed a handbag?

Edited by robuko

You just post 2 Threads titled:

1) "Comic-Con figures confirmed to getting stolen by Scalpers days before"

2) "Comic-Con minifigures"

So I made posts about Comic-Con figures on a 2 threads about Comic-Con figures.

I'm on agoodfella's side when it comes to vigorously standing against the SDCC exclusives, but I do agree with this.

agoodfella: I think you're letting this argument control your emotions. You started out as being a really calm, reasonable person(something I admired, we really could use more of those), but this last comment feels kind of angry. I think I understand what you're feeling, as I've had the same issue too.

I think you should take a day off from posting here, and just go breathe. Play with your kids, take your wife to dinner, etc. The thread and the argument aren't going anywhere, and you can come back rested, and calm.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, it just reminds me a lot of how I've acted in a previous situation (we really need an :embarrassed: fig head)...

Points all well taken.

But frankly, my posts about SDCC exclusives were in threads that were about SDCC figures, had Comic-Con figures in the titles and were all discussing SDCC exclusives. I'm not sure where there is a sufficient charge about "hijacking" is occurring. It's a baseless charge IMO.

It's another tactic to undermine the position rather than arguing the position.

Besides, this is coming from a totally new account that appears to be created specifically to target this thread and me -- as I mentioned previously, I will be taking the high road when others try and bait me into swinging for low pitches.

Edited by agoodfella

Points all well taken.

But frankly, my posts about SDCC exclusives were in threads that were about SDCC figures, had Comic-Con figures in the titles and were all discussing SDCC exclusives. I'm not sure where there is a sufficient charge about "hijacking" is occurring. It's a baseless charge IMO.

No argument about that. I was just trying say that using terms like "thought police" should be avoided, especially when you're trying to prove your point.

I should probably take a step away from these threads. I'm in a bit of a tussle with another poster in Action Figures over reboots...I don't want to start a flame war - or worse, unintentionally do something worthy of banishment.

"Steps away from computer, and takes a deep breath."

No argument about that. I was just trying say that using terms like "thought police" should be avoided, especially when you're trying to prove your point.

I should probably take a step away from these threads. I'm in a bit of a tussle with another poster in Action Figures over reboots...I don't want to start a flame war - or worse, unintentionally do something worthy of banishment.

"Steps away from computer, and takes a deep breath."

You and I both sir. I'm taking a bit of a breather and will be back later...

Listen GF I will try one more time, after that I see no point in providing the same information repeatedly.

So I made posts about Comic-Con figures on a 2 threads about Comic-Con figures. It's a baseless charge IMO.

Sorry GF, but the links (you weren't "charged" with anything) provided are not baseless. One thread is about stealing mini figures (not even close to your posted comments there), and the second threads original author said:

Can we at least ask that they bring exclusive figures to.. More comic conventions? (New Orleans would rock.)

I will give you that his initial post gave you the springboard to post your response, yet you did re post your writing to Lego bit there which is a form of hijacking. You said

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

I am re-posting this post as I think it is relevant:"

Honestly GF you are coming off like a politician who is presented with examples of comments he/she makes only to spin or parse their comments later.

Again with the inaccurate, paranoid comments. There were/are no "tactics" trying to "undermine" you or a "position". Only observations, opinion, and some facts.

Besides, this is coming from a totally new account that appears to be created specifically to target this thread and me.

I said from the very start I joined this forum to provide my experiences and feelings on the Lego Comic Con exclusives subject since I attended San Diego Comic Con 2014, no secret there or "targeting" you and your thread involved.

as I mentioned previously, I will be taking the high road when others try and bait me into swinging for low pitches.

Why the manufactured drama? GF, you have done the "everyone is attacking me" bit in a few of your other threads. Please don't attach that with me or my observations. I did not and am not attacking anyone. I just provided my opinion on the subject and what my experiences were at Comic Con as a first time Lego buyer. Believe me I wasn't happy getting screwed by Lego waiting in line for the 3 exclusive sets the last 2 days of the con, that was wrong. The exclusive give a ways however were run well and I spent the time in line and took my chances to win one and luckily did so twice.

Do I like that people take items won or purchased at any convention and ask ridiculous prices for them later? Of course not. But they have every right to. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. Actually, though I am not happy to admit it, it's understandable someone trying to recoup all of the money spent on attending a con, a well as waiting in line by selling something that they bought or won at the show.

Anyway, have differing views and opinions on the matter are fine with me. Accusing people of conspiracy theories, etc. is not however. It adds nothing to the debate. I wish you no ill will and it's fine if we don't totally see eye to eye. :wink:

*Edited to correct formatting, which is horrible with IE for some reason, lol.

Actually, though I am not happy to admit it, it's understandable someone trying to recoup all of the money spent on attending a con, a well as waiting in line by selling something that they bought or won at the show.

I'd considering buying one from someone even if I went to SDCC! I wouldn't want to stand in line for hours every day for a chance to get one.

Edited by m0dulo

@TotallyNewLEGOFan - I understand you came into the topic to give your point of view, which is totally OK. But you did start off in an bit of an annoyed state about GF:s alleged hijackings.You could have skipped that in your first post, and kept more strict to the question at hand. Also, if you have a strong argument or wish for TLG to continue making SDCC exclusives, and those doesn't bite on GF, you are free to start your own Open Letter topic to TLG.

@agoodfellow - You are also helping to escalate the issue. There is no point in arguing on, so please stop. And TNLF does have a point that you did post in other topics that were about SDCC, true, but they had slightly different perspectives then exactly the be or not be of the exclusives. That they had SDCC in the title does not mean they are about the same issue. You should have refrained yourself from posting in those other topics and kept strictly here.

Hope you both feel that my attempt to summarize this is at least partly fair so we can end this.

@TotallyNewLEGOFan - I understand you came into the topic to give your point of view, which is totally OK. But you did start off in an bit of an annoyed state about GF:s alleged hijackings.You could have skipped that in your first post, and kept more strict to the question at hand. Also, if you have a strong argument or wish for TLG to continue making SDCC exclusives, and those doesn't bite on GF, you are free to start your own Open Letter topic to TLG.

@agoodfellow - You are also helping to escalate the issue. There is no point in arguing on, so please stop. And TNLF does have a point that you did post in other topics that were about SDCC, true, but they had slightly different perspectives then exactly the be or not be of the exclusives. That they had SDCC in the title does not mean they are about the same issue. You should have refrained yourself from posting in those other topics and kept strictly here.

Hope you both feel that my attempt to summarize this is at least partly fair so we can end this.

Well stated.

"Nods goodbye to everyone, steps out of the room."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

In this odd case, I find both sides are correct...

Yes, it isn't right that LEGO is making it so hard for people to get their favorite characters. They shouldn't do that. Especially this way. They aren't even selling them. It's a raffle with long lines. The chances of getting one is so low.

Yet, people should be rewarded for making that journey. That's a good practice. And I find the way they are doing is very effective.

But you know? I can't help but wonder why they do this at all. And upon thinking about it... What if they couldn't put these characters in sets? I mean, look at the characters they did put in sets. So much Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Iron Man, etc. Characters that everyone knows. With only a few exceptions, they've been very careful with this line. While fans may love these characters they make exclusive, it's possible that they didn't test well with LEGO's test groups. And so, knowing fans loved them, they released them in a way that didn't cost them anything, but put the figures in the hands of at least some fans. It may not be ideal, but I think I would take it over not having the character at all.

So, pro or con? I find either way, it doesn't matter. LEGO is doing it. They MUST have some reason. Try and look at it from a different point of view. If the characters didn't test well, LEGO is being VERY generous with this. I don't know if that's the reason, but there has to be some reason.