jluck

Moral Dilemma

Quick backstory, I enjoy CMF series and try to get my favorite figures. I have in the 70 figure range right now. Recently, at the lego store I was able to assemble a s2 baseball player from the build your own figure bin. Well, all but the bat. I figured I'd eventually bricklink it. However, when the Simpson series came out, I had no interest in any figure...except for the bully , for the bat.

That brings me to today, while taking a stroll through the Lego section at Walmart I saw a Simpsons CMF box, but it had been bought clean out. However, someone had, previous to my arrival, opened up a bag and stole the contents. All that remained was the torso, the stand, and...the baseball bat. I know walmart will likely toss the scraps out or allow an employee to take them, so my question is this, is it wrong for me to take the bat and benefit from someone else's initial stealing?

Really this is just a curiosity post, I am not offended by opinions either way, I just enjoy open dialog.

Asking about that kind of that in public is not the right thing to do.

So that is why most people will just say "you shouldn't" or won't answer at all.

Stealing is stealing, and stealing is wrong, whether or not someone did half the work before you. Knowing Walmart would toss it away,why not ask them if you can have the baseball bat ? Sometimes it works :-)

Asking about that kind of that in public is not the right thing to do.

So that is why most people will just say "you shouldn't" or won't answer at all.

Sorry, I'm not looking for justification to do it, and there's not a chance I'd drive all the way back for one piece, not worth the gas anyway. I was just genuinely curious as to what people thought.

Stealing is stealing, and stealing is wrong, whether or not someone did half the work before you. Knowing Walmart would toss it away,why not ask them if you can have the baseball bat ? Sometimes it works :-)

I also think you should ask.

I guess it isn't really a fair question as even if anyone thought it would be ok to pick it up they'd not want to admit to it.

I agree that the best solution would be just to check with an employee, though it would likely be gone by the time I return so ill never know how it could have turned out. Thanks for your feedback!

I guess it isn't really a fair question as even if anyone thought it would be ok to pick it up they'd not want to admit to it.

I agree that the best solution would be just to check with an employee, though it would likely be gone by the time I return so ill never know how it could have turned out. Thanks for your feedback!

If it were me, I would ask the person who appears to give the fewest craps about the job. I wouldn't ask someone who looks up-tight because they probably do have rules about that stuff, but probably most people at Wal-Mart don't give a crap about it. It's not like they're being paid well enough to care anyway.

I had the same thing happen to me, however it was the 2014 Police station i really wanted more police minifigs & someone had opened a 2014 police Station in store and it looked like bags were missing, i took it to the returns and exchanges counter & explained to them how i found it and would it be possible to get a discount.

I got lucky that the sales person believed me that i didn't do open the box to try a discount scam & then i got lucky again the store person Wrote the Item off as theft, and & offered me the new 2014 police station for $30. However there was a bag missing when i was putting it together.

always pays to ask , better than theft.

Just ask. I was at TRU one time feeling minifigure packages when I found 8 of them with an extremely clean slice in the back - enough to check contents, but clean and small enough where you probably wouldn't notice unless you were feeling them like me. Anyway, nothing was missing from them that I could tell at the time, but I brought them up to customer service just to let them know and turn them in. As I was walking away to go back to my shopping, they actually stopped me and offered them to me with a huge discount because they couldn't sell them now anyway. They'd (assuming the person you ask isn't a jerk) probably just give it to you. But definitely, ask.

As the post above says, stealing is stealing whether or not somebody started the crime. You would still see it as stealing if I took the last few pieces of Jewelry from your house that the burglar before me left behind (okay, a little exaggerated, but the point is still there :)

the most ethical solution is to look for the store manager and show him what you found, then ask if it would be alright to buy the remaining contents at a clearance discount of 50% or 75% off. you can ask that it be final sale, so they don't have to deal with you afterwards. i have done this successfully in the past, and it's a win for everybody. plus i sleep very well at night.

I was in a similar situation in college for a piece I desperately needed for an Engineering project. Most of the item (that had the barcode) was gone. All I needed was a cheap plastic cover. No one in the store was authorized to give it to me nor could they sell it without a bar code... It was an hour of wasted time. I ended up buying something that I figured had a pretty high mark-up and walked out the door with it fully visible in my cart- no one cared.

I would personally ask Walmart whether you can have it or not then hopefully you can come to some sort of agreement. As said above multiple times Stealing is wrong. Plus, whether they let you keep it or not, at least you can walk away knowing you did the correct thing. :classic:

For those that came in recently, I am completely opposed to stealing in any form. I just wanted to gage folks thoughts, in regards to what's been said, I recently was at Target and saw several architect sets with smashed boxes. I was curious as to if they would cut a deal. Some of the value of those sets is in the box condition. Anyway.

Simillar thing happened to me few days ago. There was a clearance and there was an opened box of the City 7206 with only bag 2 at sight. I asked the employee what they do with those and she said they send it back to the supplier. I hoped I could get that bag for cheap, but no avail...

Edited by Zblj