dragofoscar

[HELP] Power Functions Reciever V1 or V2

Hi

I am just asking myself which PF Receiver I should use on which setup.

I read somewhere that the m-Motor will be difficult with V2 - what about the V1, are there any no-Go's.

For example:

2x L Motor + Servo = V2 (crawler setup)

2x m Motor + Servo = V1 (I think I tried it once with V2 and did not work)

2x XL Motor + Servo = ??? Which should I use? Is V1 also possible?

1x XL Motor + Servo = ??? Which should I use? Is V1 also possible? (next to build - madocas 4X4 and I do only have V1 Receiver left ;)

Madoca uses V2 Receiver on both Monster Truck (2x XL) and 4x4 (1 x XL).

I tested both with V1 and it worked on the "naked" PF wiring.

When is the V2 necessary and what is the advantage.

Thanks a lot!

Is V2 available in stores?

H

I been trying to buy some v2's from LEGO.com but it's been sold out for months.

That does not answer my questions. I can get one V2 when buying another crawler for a good price, but I am barely able to store all the remaining parts ;) Therefore I will be pleased if you give me a hint.

Especially, because I have to decide soon for the crawler... ;O)

i thought the v2 just could handle more current then the v1 so why bother using the v1 if u have the v2?

I Have no V2 left.

I am just interested If I can use the V1 instead - in a naked setup it worked well.

All V2s are in my display modells and I do not like to dismantle them instead. ;)

I think the speed without load will be pretty much the same, but when it comes to torque, you will have more with the v2

Edited by Nico van Duin

OK - meaning better acceleration.

That explains the usage ov V2 in the Crawler.

OK - I do have 3 V2s Maybe I have to change them to test. But bying a 9398 only for the V2 is a bit silly. OK, I can use the Servo as wenn (have only 4 ;) and the L-Motors. But those I can also by at lego separately. A littel bit more expensive - compared to the deal with the whole set 9398, but less space consuming.

Edited by dragofoscar

Yeah, But as I live next to you (in Germany) there is some postage. But thre is also one in DK - your point!

Fot my next project (Doc Browns Hot rot) I do need some parts - so I will order at brickling all together with the receiver. Thanks a lot!

I was very tempted bying the 9398 in new condition for 95 € but I do not know where to store the box and all the remaining parts.

Ordering singel parts (e.g. new ones) iscurrently more usefull than bying new sets to have them.

An exemption will be if anyone come with a supercar out of parts from the cargo plane ;)

My last 3x Red passenger train 7938 is also comes with V2 receiver. I have 3 boxes of 7938, so its true, BUT there are also 7938 sets with v1!

v2 is mandatory for buggy motor and 2x L motors at one channel.

It seems that V2 is better at all, but thats not true. V2 cant run 2x M motors from one channel, and that is Achilles' heel of it.

Thats practice.

electrically, v2 provides more current for motors and its overload protection border is shifted higher comparing with v1

Edited by rm8

Red passenger train 7938 is also comes with V2 receiver. I have 3 boxes of 7938, so its true

v2 is mandatory for buggy motor and 2x L motors at one channel.

It seems that V2 is better at all, but thats not true. V2 cant run 2x M motors from one channel, and that is Achilles' heel of it.

Thats practice.

electrically, v2 provides more current for motors and its overload protection border is shifted higher comparing with v1

I've bought loads of those trains and NONE of them came with a V2 reciever, so I would be very carefull about going that route

Edit : It makes no sense that you need to chhose a V2 for it's higher current output to use with an XL, but a V2 cannot drive two Ms?

Anyway, both IR recievers don't have the power to properly drive a buggy motor anyway

Edited by 1974

I've bought loads of those trains and NONE of them came with a V2 reciever, so I would be very carefull about going that route

Edit : It makes no sense that you need to chhose a V2 for it's higher current output to use with an XL, but a V2 cannot drive two Ms?

Anyway, both IR recievers don't have the power to properly drive a buggy motor anyway

about 7938 - you are right. Some sets have v1, some v2

About buggy motor: v1 is stopping at minimum load on buggy motor. v2 can handle much better load on buggy motor than v1, but also can stuck if load will be too much.

It's been at least a year since I last bougt those trains. Maybe 7939 also have V2 now?

Yeah, that's what I said regarding the buggy motor, but I'd still like to now why you think V2 can't run two Ms?

Odd, why would that be? Philo must have the answer ..

Max power consumption is 850mA for an M and 1,8A for an XL. 2 Ms is then using 100mA more than an XL

Rather daft if the protection kicks in at 1,8A and not 1,9A :sceptic:

Or can the V2 not drive two Ms at all no matter what load?

Max power consumption is 850mA for an M and 1,8A for an XL. 2 Ms is then using 100mA more than an XL

there is something about starting current. Cant describe it, I am not clever enough here :blush:

Hmm .. that is what I call poor engineering from TLG. Especially if V1 is being phased out. V1 will probably be more expensive than V2 in the future then :wink:

2x 850mA = 1.7A for the M's is still 100mA less than 1.8A for the XL

Yeah, that's right! :blush:

But won't the V2 even start up two Ms? I've sold my last PF stuff so I can't try myself

Now this is one confusing topic. V2 implies it's a successor, I can hardly imagine TLG will maintain two different receivers on the market. That would be confusing, and one of the strongest arguments for playing with Lego, interoperetability, would be missed. On Eurobricks, many of us unterstand the underlying technical limitations or reasons. Everyone else, let alone the main target audience kids, would never unterstand why their new V2 is unable to power 2 silly medium motors. The plug and play aspect of the PF concept would be disregarded.

I've also heard that the V2 can't run two m motors on the same port. I'm not sure why, nor have I tried it. Supposedly, the m motors are being changed to be compatible with the V2.

In the vast majority of cases, it probably won't make any difference if you use V1 or V2. V2 has a higher current limit on each channel and less internal loss. But remember that the very first PF model, the 8275 bulldozer, used two XL motors and was very fast with a V1 receiver. V2 was introduced for the 9398 crawler because 2 L motors were on the same channel. If you are not doing something similar, it probably doesn't matter. I would guess TLG's original intent was to totally replace the V1 and stop making it, but the issues with M-motors have prevented that so far. V2 receivers are still very difficult to get.