Renderbricks

Photoreal LEGO Rendering: Bionicle Test

Here's another test from a tricky LDD capture. Thanks to matt_one for the inspiration and info. I wished the LDD meshes had a higher res and there's no easy way to get the LEGO logo onto the studs.

Bionicles_Random_Hero_v04_HD.jpg

Edited by virtualrepublic

Wow, that's great ! If you want to try some more renders, I'd glaldly send you a couple of BIONICLE / Hero Factory LDD MOCs. :laugh:

I render with POV-Ray, but the result is in no way comparable to what you achieve with MODO.

Wow, that's great ! If you want to try some more renders, I'd glaldly send you a couple of BIONICLE / Hero Factory LDD MOCs. :laugh:

I render with POV-Ray, but the result is in no way comparable to what you achieve with MODO.

Hi Leewan,

some good results are possible with Povray ( check out this ) :

13956263036_2a7c02047e_c.jpg

but I agree with you that these results are not comparable to other rendering engines.

Povray's rendering times are frustrating!

Feel free to send me some nice models.

Thank you ! Well, then, you can render this, this and this, if you want. :wink:

some good results are possible with Povray ( check out this ) but I agree with you that these results are not comparable to other rendering engines. Povray's rendering times are frustrating!

Yeah, that's my main concern : if you want a good render, it takes time. And even with an "average" quality render, it takes hours. For example for this :

heliar10.png

my computer took over seven hours, with the level of detial set on LDD geometry + visible bevels, and the radiosity set on Fast in LDD2POV-Ray. That's why I'm curious to see what virtualrepublic is able to do with MODO. :D

Thank you ! Well, then, you can render this, this and this, if you want. :wink:

Yeah, that's my main concern : if you want a good render, it takes time. And even with an "average" quality render, it takes hours. For example for this :

heliar10.png

my computer took over seven hours, with the level of detial set on LDD geometry + visible bevels, and the radiosity set on Fast in LDD2POV-Ray. That's why I'm curious to see what virtualrepublic is able to do with MODO. :D

Leewan,

my core i7 tooks 6,5 hours for that head in Final mode, with HDR source image and glass-type floor.

I'm happy with that results but I can't figure out how long would be rendering

the whole 27,5 inches model ( still under construction ) with Povray.

My picture in 3840 x 2160 above took 9 minutes with MODO on a DELL 12 core with 32 GB RAM. AA: 32 samples. I scaled it down to 1920 x 1080. To adjust the picture quality you might set other sample values higher for reflections or SSS depending on the scene. I also tried POV-RAY on my machine and it's a no go. Especially transparencies would increase the rendertime to an insane level what doesn't happen in MODO. MODO is using physically correct materials and global illumination. The render is really advanced and fast and it's fun to work with. POV-RAY is frustrating and outdated if you ask me. But free *:-)

I most definitely glad to see my MOC used for this. At least, it looks like one of mine. oO

Edited by Crash Sanders

LEGO should add hi-res models in a future release *:-)

Really impressive!

Do you used light source placed in the scene or HDR image as source?

Really impressive!

Do you used light source placed in the scene or HDR image as source?

HDR and SubSurfaceScattering is important here. And the rendertimes are nothing. I did a spin-test with the first camera over 200 frames in 1280 x 720 what took 1,5 minutes for each frame.

I need to organize my mess now with all the tests I did. The LDD capture works fine but takes some manual steps. The 3DXML format contains the textures what is shown in a 3DXML player but SimLab - what fortunately can read this format - unfortunately can't convert the textures. After importing to MODO by fbx I recognized little shading issues caused by tesselated objects. Quadrangulation helps here to fix this. I am not sure what ware the plans of LEGO for the future versions of LDD. Hi-res models and and an export into fbx or Collada would be totally awesome but I am sure that this won't happen for a consumer tool like LDD. Probably LEGO won't anyway give access to their data. 3Dvia Printscreen is more a hack. *:-)

Wow, that's impressive. Thank you so much, virtualrepublic !

HDR and SubSurfaceScattering is important here. And the rendertimes are nothing. I did a spin-test with the first camera over 200 frames in 1280 x 720 what took 1,5 minutes for each frame.

I need to organize my mess now with all the tests I did. The LDD capture works fine but takes some manual steps. The 3DXML format contains the textures what is shown in a 3DXML player but SimLab - what fortunately can read this format - unfortunately can't convert the textures. After importing to MODO by fbx I recognized little shading issues caused by tesselated objects. Quadrangulation helps here to fix this. I am not sure what ware the plans of LEGO for the future versions of LDD. Hi-res models and and an export into fbx or Collada would be totally awesome but I am sure that this won't happen for a consumer tool like LDD. Probably LEGO won't anyway give access to their data. 3Dvia Printscreen is more a hack. *:-)

The very important thing for me now is to be able to come out from LDD.

I'm not searching for absolute photorealism, since I'm focusing more on design side.

The chance to reduce rendering time using Simlab ( I'm testing it right now ) instead of Povray is great.

I took a ride to MODO site, very impressive but it seems less user-friendly than Simlab.

I would not compare it to MODO, however, but keep in mind that I was a simple LddtoPovRay converter user until yesterday.

I don't have enough time to get a hard-life learning a complex software.

I agree with you about how would be nice to have more export options in LDD!

my core i7 tooks 6,5 hours for that head in Final mode, with HDR source image and glass-type floor.

I'm happy with that results but I can't figure out how long would be rendering

the whole 27,5 inches model ( still under construction ) with Povray.

Take out the glass floor. Glass is about 20 times more computationally expensive than solid materials and you've got a whole floor of it. The normal peturbation texture map on the glass isn't helping either; that's probably inreasing things by a significant factor. If you need a reflection use a mirrored surface, but avoid transparent surfaces.

Edited by The_Cook

Take out the glass floor. Glass is about 20 times more computationally expensive than solid materials and you've got a whole floor of it. The normal peturbation texture map on the glass isn't helping either; that's probably inreasing things by a significant factor. If you need a reflection use a mirrored surface, but avoid transparent surfaces.

Thanks! I agree with you about the glass floor, but I'm leaving Povray's renderings and trying Simlab Composer.

Now rendering time is decreased drastically with it.

I think I stand corrected. I always thought that LDD wasn't very useful for rendering because it lacks bevels etc. But in this case the results is absolutely stunning!

I think I stand corrected. I always thought that LDD wasn't very useful for rendering because it lacks bevels etc. But in this case the results is absolutely stunning!

The bevels are created by a rounded shader using normals.

Might be the rapidly changing highlights on baseplate studs that fools the encoder. Dark images are also more prone to compression artifacts.

OH MY GOD!

how can you do that virtualrepublic?!? your renderings are incredible!

I spend hours and hours and the results are horrible!

Can you post the settings you use in LDD to POV-Ray please?

I need to change my pc...

@gas1979 - First, I see you are new member so I'm going to start by saying welcome to Eurobricks!

Then a little tip right of the bat: When you join a forum as a new members, there are couple of things to keep in mind to join in a smoothly as possible. First, take some time and search for, and then read, old topics first. In this case, you'll find a lot of information already written about the tools that virtual republic uses if you look around a bit. Secondly, avoid to wake up and older topic like this one (last post was about 5 months ago) just to saw "wow" or similar, which just has a tendency to irritate old-timers in the forums.

You're right I'm sorry, I was excited to see that kind of perfection for my very first time...

Please remove my comment(s) in this topic, it wasn't my intention to wake it up, sorry again

So, let's see if I understand how the process works here:

- Start the 3DVia Printscreen program; disable its automatic start and bind the capture key to something that's not F10.

- Start LDD, and set all the graphic controls to their lowest settings. Restart LDD to apply these changes.

- Open your LDD model, get the right angle, and capture the model with 3DVia Printscreen.

- Use something that'll read 3dxml files to check the results (not necessary, but recommended); currently, GLC- Player is the only program that works.

- Render the model using something that'll take 3dxml files, such as Simlab Composer or Modo.

I think that materials have to be imported somehow to keep the model from becoming the typical gray textureless model. Am I missing anything else?

@ Phoxtane

It's right, working process is exactly as you said.

The right angle to put your model in LDD is roughly a top view.

Except some 3dxml viewers-players, currently only Simlab Composer can read 3dxml files directly.

Assigned brick's colors in LDD will be kept and you can easily replace them with any materials you like from Simlab Composer's library.

Idk if you're still accepting requests (If not, then my apologies for possibly bothering you), but I'd love to see if you could render some of the models I've made (And feel free to pose them, if you want to):

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kamen-rider-kiva/bonkle-mocs/protector_of_water_revamp.lxf (This one's my favourite)

http://www.brickshel...rangatirape.lxf

http://www.brickshel...s/w.i.p_moc.lxf

Edited by Kamen Rider Kiva