Sign in to follow this  
Legononymous

Sticker Placement!

I was admiring the perfect sticker placement on set 60048 Police Dog Unit. Someone has mad skills! I know this has been discussed but I'm thinking of trying fine line tape to get the perfect spacing and hopefully when I go to put on the sticker the fine line tape will act as an edge for the sticker.

I'm just super frustrated with stickers. To the point I opt not using them more often then I do.

Stickers can be really frustrating, you try to line them up and are just about to get it right when the sticker seems to get sucked down onto the bricks in a slightly off angle to what you want, then they are really hard to get up only to have the same thing happen over again and again.

On those rare times I have placed the sticker perfectly, it looks like it was printed on the brick, but most of the time the sticker is almost aways off somehow. The one saving grace is the stickers that are able to be peeled off and replaced (i.e.: the one printed on the white material). Those printed on the shiney material, or the clear....yeah, once you stick it, you can basically forget it...

^ I generally leave the stickers off the sets unless my daughter wants them applied, or they actually are needed. Case in point are the wood patern stickers for the #60009: Helicopter Arrest set. Applied correctly, they look awesome and can be used elsewhere in other builds.

I only applied stickers to MMV and then coated over them with a see through vynil to protect them. Makes it thicker but protects the sticker when the set is packed away in my parts bins.

^ I generally leave the stickers off the sets unless my daughter wants them applied, or they actually are needed. Case in point are the wood patern stickers for the #60009: Helicopter Arrest set. Applied correctly, they look awesome and can be used elsewhere in other builds.

You just reminded me, I also apply the "wood" stickers. Even if you those on a little crooked they will still look awesome.

You just reminded me, I also apply the "wood" stickers. Even if you those on a little crooked they will still look awesome.

I do love the wood stickers! If only they were printed!

EDIT: Never mind, they do exist... The funny thing is, I own a bunch too!

Edited by iamwhoiam

I always apply my stickers by lining up an edge parallel to the corresponding edge of a brick, leaving a slight border. Then I just roll it over to apply it. If it's coming out crooked, I can tell early on, pull it back, and reapply it. It's not that hard unless it's a very large sticker.

I apply stickers using tweezers or an X-Acto knife to hold it after peeling from the sticker sheet. I align the sticker over the LEGO and then press down with my finger. It's similiar to what I do for plastic scale model decals except I don't have to wet the stickers. :classic:

I hate stickers. I rarely use them.

My dislike of stickers is not limited to Lego, I dislike them on anything I might have a need to wash at some point, meaning most toys.

I normally don't apply stickers on sets because I usually build them once for fun, then take them apart and moc away. For moc's I have been making homemade stickers, and those are applied with a scalpel. I usually hold it up to the brick first, before removing the sticker from it's backing to get and idea of where exactly it needs to sit. Then I find a corner or an edge to align it and apply it carefully without getting air under it. For big stickers I slide a finger or something soft along on top to prevent bubbles.

I usually do not apply the stickers either, but I did put the gold refleictive ones on the Grand Carousel set because they were so shiny.