The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Yeah, there have been a few already. Toward the end of the month, they'll take the site offline for a little while for some maintenance and housekeeping, and during that time they'll assign the extra time to all the projects that are less than two years old already and have hit at least one of the two milestones (1000 and 5000), but in the meantime, projects that pass one of those milestones during that time are getting it assigned now, rather than waiting. Some that have already gotten this extra time include this Coinop Videogame, the not dissimilar project Arcade Machines 1980!, this Imperial Probe Droid aka Probot, and this Modular Library. There are a few more that should get it shortly, like this The Secret of Monkey Island project, which just passed 1000 votes but hasn't gotten any extra time yet, as of this posting; as I write, it has 287 days, but by this time tomorrow I expect it'll have 458.

I wouldn't pay <insert default Ideas price in your region> for a bunch of yellow bricks.

The "Small Yellow" sculpture is designed to bring in people who haven't bought Lego bricks since they were kids. So all they have is their old scratched-up bricks from their childhood. And the set would probably be just $20.

I would definitely buy it.... Yellow would be a very nice piece to sell at art museum gift shops, and Ideas is all about tapping new markets.

Definitely, I know they sell the "Architecture" sets in art museum gift shops all the time, so this one would be perfect there too.

Tangentially, I think it would be great if one could get some of the many science-related ones in science museum gift shops. I've long kind of hoped we could get another run of the MSL Curiosity Rover if science museums requested it for their shops.

Agreed! I believe they sold some of the older Space Shuttle sets at the gift shop of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

Real Indy, I hope you'll resubmit some of your own excellent projects after The Great Purge.

Does anyone know exactly how many projects are going to be deleted on April 28?

I was checking today and there are hundreds with only 57 days left...

I suspect it may be thousands - everything submitted anytime from when LEGO CUUSOO began, in 2008, to May 1st of 2014, that hasn't already either hit the vote target and entered a review batch or been archived. There are, I guess, at most several dozen projects that fall into one of those two categories (that either have already gotten 10k votes - this includes the ones that have actually been approved and become sets, as well as those that haven't - plus a handful of others that have been frozen and archived), but I think for at least the last couple years the submission rate has probably averaged more than one a day. I know there have been days recently when several new projects appear (though the rate does vary wildly from day to day). Even with it having started small, initially only in Japan, I think in those first six years or so they must have gotten thousands of submissions.

That said, I don't think they're going to be deleted, per se; I think they'll just expire (the term used in the official Rules and Guidelines), and won't accept new votes or comments, and also won't show up in search results on the site, but will still be visible on the site by looking under the "Projects" tab on their creators' pages (just as all the previous projects that got archived, or got their votes but didn't pass review, are still visible there the same way). If so, I wonder what happens to an old project's posting if the creator decides to repost it and start fresh - will one be able to see the two instances of the same project under a person's projects, just with one active and one not?

I don't know exactly when it happened, but sometime recently they added an "Expired" option to the "Project State" filter on the Discover page. On April 29th, the oldest projects that don't make it will switch from "1 DAY REMAINING" to "LESS THAN ONE DAY REMAINING", and then on April 30th the Ideas team will take the site offline briefly for an update, in which they'll add the additional time to all those projects that have earned it but not gotten it already, while all the other old projects will finally expire. At that time, for one day, we should be able to select the "Expired" option and see exactly how many projects fell away in The Great Ideas Purge (after that first day, of course, selecting Expired will show everything that fell in The Great Purge, but also things that expired one day after that, then later all those plus the things that expired two days later, etc.)

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Real Indy, I hope you'll resubmit some of your own excellent projects after The Great Purge.

Thanks, Yes, they are all queued up and ready to repost! I will repost Rome on Day 1, and then continue in order, perhaps one every five days or so.

"The Glory of Rome" (which was deleted by the moderators last year because it featured new molds) and "Medusa's Temple" (which is over 2 years old, so set to be archived in 3 days) both got thousands of votes, so there is obviously big support for doing the Ancient World as a playset. Plus the fact that they put the Mythology Realm into the Collectable Minifigures Online Game shows that it is an A-list idea that needs to happen at some point.

Also, is there a way to make the images display at full size on the new Ideas site? My originals are all 1200 pixels across, but it shrinks them down to 660 maximum pixels across. I remember that some of the projects posted last April got to have huge screen-filling images, but now, are they limiting it to 660 max? Is there a way to contact the moderators on that? Thanks!

Thanks for posting that, I just supported it. I meant to before but forgot about it.

The power of social media!

It made it with less than 1 day left!

Edited by Robert8

Going by the date it was posted and the terms of the recent rules update re: additional time, it should have gotten an extension anyway, but it's nice to see it didn't need it.

We now have at least thirteen projects in one review batch, four more than the previous record.

I love Daft Punk, but I don't see the project pass. I wasn't expecting it to get the 10000 supports, though, so everything is possible. If it passes, I'd like to see two small brick-built busts representing them. Would be more interesting than two inaccurate (unless they make new molds for the helmets) minifigs and a turntable.

I love Daft Punk, but I don't see the project pass. I wasn't expecting it to get the 10000 supports, though, so everything is possible. If it passes, I'd like to see two small brick-built busts representing them. Would be more interesting than two inaccurate (unless they make new molds for the helmets) minifigs and a turntable.

There actually is a brick-built Thomas Bangalter helmet there, though with only 125 votes as of this writing and less than a day left, its chances aren't good.

Meanwhile, from the "funky Ideas coincidences" department, not one but two separate Thunderbird 4 projects by different builders got posted this same morning, within hours or even mere minutes of each other.

I wasn't thinking of something that big, but it's still better than just two minifigs and a turntable. :sweet:

Lo, the Great LEGO Ideas Purge has come! 5909 projects - more than half the total - have fallen, slain by the very hand of Time itself, though some may yet rise from the ashes, Phoenix-like, and in reposting yet live again.

And at the same time, as the LEGO Ideas Team taketh away, so too does the LEGO Ideas Team giveth. All projects due extensions have now seen their extensions granted. Behold the spectacular glory of the mighty Brick-built Adventure Time figures, now with 642 days remaining!

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Lo, the Great LEGO Ideas Purge has come! 5909 projects - more than half the total - have fallen, slain by the very hand of Time itself, though some may yet rise from the ashes, Phoenix-like, and in reposting yet live again.

And at the same time, as the LEGO Ideas Team taketh away, so too does the LEGO Ideas Team giveth. All projects due extensions have now seen their extensions granted. Behold the spectacular glory of the mighty Brick-built Adventure Time figures, now with 642 days remaining!

I personally do not watch the show, but sometimes my kids do. This seems to have good potential to get approved if the licensing is no problem. The figures are instantly recognizable.

Yes, it looks like it went from about 11,500 projects last night, down to exactly 5,606 right now... So over 51% cleared away... Is that right?

Hmm, also, as some others mentioned, the expired projects are still visible in searches by default, so it creates a lot of confusion if a project has been reposted, especially if you sort by most votes, as most people will... What is their plan for fixing that?

Yes, it looks like it went from about 11,500 projects last night, down to exactly 5,606 right now... So over 51% cleared away... Is that right?

Hmm, also, as some others mentioned, the expired projects are still visible in searches by default, so it creates a lot of confusion if a project has been reposted, especially if you sort by most votes, as most people will... What is their plan for fixing that?

You can filter the results as well as sort them. The filter lets you look at just Staff Picks and/or Trending This Month, as well as projects with any specific tags, in addition to limiting results by Project State - such as Gathering Support, Achieved Support, In Review, Project Approved, Project Not Approved, and so on.

This section is how I was able to see the exact number of projects that have expired in The Great Purge, since one of the options is Expired - before today it returned 0 results, and now it returns 5904 (huh, I must have misread "5904" as "5909" earlier). Anyway, you can easily limit it to just projects that are "Gathering Support", which shows you everything you can vote on, and nothing that you can't.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

You can filter the results as well as sort them. The filter lets you look at just Staff Picks and/or Trending This Month, as well as projects with any specific tags, in addition to limiting results by Project State - such as Gathering Support, Achieved Support, In Review, Project Approved, Project Not Approved, and so on.

Very true! But when you run a search, it defaults to "project state: any", so it includes "expired" projects by default. If the user clicks first to sort by "most supported", as most people would, partly because it is the first option visible by default, then the duplicate expired projects pop up to the top of the list, but they are un-votable, creating confusion.

Anyway you slice it, it's just pure confusion to have duplicate projects both be visible. As a solution, perhaps they should change that label to "expired and disappearing soon", and let expired projects stay visible for a 1 week "mourning period", and then it would definitely be better to have them disappear from view and disappear from searches.

Hopefully, they are planning to do that soon. It creates a bug that needs to be fixed! I remember a couple of other people predicted that up-thread...

P.S. - Also, amusingly, the top suggestion under the "Recommended Projects" column on the right is my expired project, which is identical, but un-votable!

I'd like to be able to still see all the expired projects, though (and all the archived ones as well, which have never shown up in searches, though one can still find them if you know either what you're looking for, so you can just Google them, or look at their creators' Projects pages). I'd rather not have anything disappear for good, though I'd agree expired projects shouldn't turn up for basic searches by default.

Look at this!

Your project has expired.

Apr 30, 2015

We're really sorry to share that your LEGO® Ideas project didn't reach its supporter milestone beforerunning out of time. Here at LEGO Ideas, we know you had high hopes for your project and put a lot of effort into it, and we understand this can be disappointing. If you still care a lot about this particular project, you're always welcome to submit it again and start over.

We hope you continue submitting projects and hope you have better success next time!

This message appeared in every expired project today

Edited by Robert8

I'd like to be able to still see all the expired projects, though (and all the archived ones as well, which have never shown up in searches, though one can still find them if you know either what you're looking for, so you can just Google them, or look at their creators' Projects pages). I'd rather not have anything disappear for good, though I'd agree expired projects shouldn't turn up for basic searches by default.

Yes, hopefully a week after they expire, they will simply reflag them from "expired" to "archived", and then invite you to be able to come and revisit all the archives on a special separate link or page. Then even if their comments sections have been locked, you can still look at images for inspiration and ideas, read the archived comments, or just take a trip down memory lane! =)

I tried to vote for most projects in the top rankings, but still not all of them survive this, sadly. If I have to choose the most pitiful project creater, I'd say togami due to most of his BTTF projects underestimated by LEGO and voters.

13 new Projects IN REVIEW: https://ideas.lego.c...rted&scroll=283

This morning at 12:00 a.m. GMT, the First 2015 LEGO Review qualifying period ended with a record ...thirteen projects reaching 10,000 supporters between January and May ... and what a collection of fantastic projects this is! For the First 2015 LEGO Review, we will happily evaluate the following projects as potential LEGO Ideas sets:

1. Daft Punk https://ideas.lego.com/projects/40291

2. Small Yellow https://ideas.lego.com/projects/17353

3. The Discworld https://ideas.lego.com/projects/36302

4. Science Adventures https://ideas.lego.com/projects/83039

5. Medieval Market Street https://ideas.lego.com/projects/18873

6. Disney Princess Frozen Ice Palace https://ideas.lego.com/projects/58608

7. Douglas DC-3 https://ideas.lego.com/projects/17534

8. Bricksauria-Tyrannosaurus Rex https://ideas.lego.com/projects/48453

9. International Space Station https://ideas.lego.com/projects/61057

10. The Golden Girls https://ideas.lego.com/projects/98263

11. The Legend of Zelda: King of Red Lions Play Set https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2082

12. RMS Titanic https://ideas.lego.com/projects/1319

13. 1969 Chevrolet Corvette https://ideas.lego.com/projects/77779

Edited by Robert8

What happened to the other Golden Girls set that got to 10k?

Only one has actually gotten to 10k so far, though the other two each got a boost from the success of that one.

Edited by Blondie-Wan