iamwhoiam

Toys R Us Buy 1 Get 1 50% off sale

My most sincere apologies to the mods as I have no idea where this topic goes as I am new to Eurobricks. Please take necessary action.

I was just watching Solid Brix Studios "

" Series where Mr. David Hall was talking about the great sale he had found at Toys R Us which is Buy 1 (Lego Set) get 1 (Lego Set) 50% off.

I don't have a Toys R Us near me however I will be visiting my brother next month in an area that has both a Toys R Us and a Lego Store nearby. I will be going to the Lego Store for sure but I was just wondering if the TRU sale will still be on when I go.

Thank You!

-iamwhoiam

Sale ends today. They run these sales all the time but I doubt they would do it that soon. Great thing about the sale this time was that all the newer sets are out and most were at suggested retail price instead of the inflated toys r us price.

Sale ends today. They run these sales all the time but I doubt they would do it that soon. Great thing about the sale this time was that all the newer sets are out and most were at suggested retail price instead of the inflated toys r us price.

:damn: ARGH! That was the reason I wanted to take advantage of this sale. I wanted some 50% Star Wars Battle Packs but Oh well! Thanks for telling me.

Edited by iamwhoiam

Went to Toys R Us to browse. While the BOGO 50% off sale is not all that great sometimes (particularly if the sets have the extra-inflated TRU price), there is the advantage that recent, but older sets that are no longer sold in LEGO Store or on LEGO.com might still be on the shelves at TRU. I grabbed two Space Shuttles for the kids (only $1 more each than LEGO.com's price).

Toys R Us regularly does these kinds of sales. BOGO 50% off, 25% off, 15$ off 50, etc. The thing is, TRU marks up their prices so much that these "sales" usually account for little more than a few dollars off. Sometimes you end up saving nothing.

For instance TRU has Mirkwood Elf Army listed as $39.99. If you buy two during the BOGO 50% deal you are spending $60. Seems like a great deal, right? Wrong! The set has an MSRP of $29.99 so you could go to Target or the Lego Store and get two of them for $60 anyways without any sales or deals (and plus both of those stores offer 5% back so are actually better deals).

Edited by Deathleech

I love TRU! With the way they overprice LEGO, any time they offer BOGO 50% Off, it works out to paying retail!

Edited by Mister Blisterfists

Toys R Us regularly does these kinds of sales. BOGO 50% off, 25% off, 15$ off 50, etc. The thing is, TRU marks up their prices so much that these "sales" usually account for little more than a few dollars off. Sometimes you end up saving nothing.

For instance TRU has Mirkwood Elf Army listed as $39.99. If you buy two during the BOGO 50% deal you are spending $60. Seems like a great deal, right? Wrong! The set has an MSRP of $29.99 so you could go to Target or the Lego Store and get two of them for $60 anyways without any sales or deals (and plus both of those stores offer 5% back so are actually better deals).

Well I've noticed that a lot of the time they charge Canadian prices in the US for these sets. The Elf Army is $39.99 in Canada just as you said. I just checked their website and a lot of the prices are equal to normal canadian retail price but only a few are marked up. I don't know it must be some marketing scheme!

Well I've noticed that a lot of the time they charge Canadian prices in the US for these sets. The Elf Army is $39.99 in Canada just as you said. I just checked their website and a lot of the prices are equal to normal canadian retail price but only a few are marked up. I don't know it must be some marketing scheme!

Oh it's definitely a marketing scheme. TRU constantly has sales to make it look like they are offering products for less. With the mark up they really aren't though. The average customer/parent probably doesn't realize this, sees a sale, and jumps all over it thinking they are saving a ton of money. TRU literally has a Lego sale about once a month, more than any other retailer I have seen. That's their business though, jack up prices and then have sales to bring the prices back down near MSRP so customers think they are getting a good deal without having TRU actually take a hit to sales at all. I dunno how they work in other countries, but here in the US almost every Lego set is at least a few dollars above MSRP while bigger sets can be as much as $30-40 over.

Right now is the best time to get LEGO from TRU; when sets are first released and before their mark up. Expect these new sets to be overpriced in the near future.

Earlier this week I was able to place an order for some Microfighters: Clone Turbo Tanks. This'll probably be the only opportunity to get some plain Phase II Clones at a decent price.

Oh it's definitely a marketing scheme. TRU constantly has sales to make it look like they are offering products for less. With the mark up they really aren't though. The average customer/parent probably doesn't realize this, sees a sale, and jumps all over it thinking they are saving a ton of money. TRU literally has a Lego sale about once a month, more than any other retailer I have seen. That's their business though, jack up prices and then have sales to bring the prices back down near MSRP so customers think they are getting a good deal without having TRU actually take a hit to sales at all. I dunno how they work in other countries, but here in the US almost every Lego set is at least a few dollars above MSRP while bigger sets can be as much as $30-40 over.

I think, at least in my area, it really comes down to 'supply & demand'(in a sense). The few times I've been to Wal-Mart, the selection is pretty poor. Target is a bit better. Then, you walk into TRU and there selection/bulk outweighs the both put together. Granted, Target/Wal-Mart aren't dedicated toy stores, but I'm assuming that's how TRU may justify their price gouging. I shop there less and less because of the crazy make ups they do. A few bucks I don't mind...but when they bump in $20 like they do...

My most sincere apologies to the mods as I have no idea where this topic goes as I am new to Eurobricks. Please take necessary action.

I was just watching Solid Brix Studios "

" Series where Mr. David Hall was talking about the great sale he had found at Toys R Us which is Buy 1 (Lego Set) get 1 (Lego Set) 50% off.

I don't have a Toys R Us near me however I will be visiting my brother next month in an area that has both a Toys R Us and a Lego Store nearby. I will be going to the Lego Store for sure but I was just wondering if the TRU sale will still be on when I go.

Thank You!

-iamwhoiam

Sales at Toys R Us, or at most retailer stores, will last one week, generally Sunday to Saturday. I went to Toys R Us on Wednesday during this week and learned about the sale then, picking up some cool sets. Don't worry about missing this sale. There are alrways sales at Toys R Us on select products, in an attempt to compete with their inflated prices!

For example, I saw my local TRU had the Batman Funhouse Escape set, and was included with the BOGO 50% off deal. However the price of the set alnoe went from standard RP of $39.99 up to $59.99! Whoa! It's almpost 50% more expensive, so sadly I turned down that set offer and bought other smaller ones. And what's worse, that's TRU's in-store price for that set. The online one is still marked as $39.99 but marked down from "listed price".

That's where a real question comes into play, and I would like to ask those who are reading this to help me. I'm making a LEGO video about various LEGO topics, one of them being TRU BOGOs and determining their worth in comparison to the TRU pricing. I would like your help in any way possible with thoughts and opinios and experiences, anything to help me along! Thank you so much! I will credit those who get back to me about my LEGO Topic video. You can reach me here or:

Flickr: Maniac4LEGO

Twitter: Maniac4LEGO

DeviantArt: WorldwideImage

Instagram: Maniac4LEGO

I think, at least in my area, it really comes down to 'supply & demand'(in a sense). The few times I've been to Wal-Mart, the selection is pretty poor. Target is a bit better. Then, you walk into TRU and there selection/bulk outweighs the both put together. Granted, Target/Wal-Mart aren't dedicated toy stores, but I'm assuming that's how TRU may justify their price gouging. I shop there less and less because of the crazy make ups they do. A few bucks I don't mind...but when they bump in $20 like they do...

If they were trying to charge a premium for their availability and selection, why constantly have the sales and deals which bring their prices back down to around MSRP? I think TRU just does it to try and trick people. If they sell product between their promos then they make a ton off them, and when they DO have the sales and deals they look good to customers. If you had no idea about TRU's business practice you would obviously think their BOGO 50% off is a MUCH better deal than just going to Target and buying it at full retail price. Toys R Us wants to give the image they are constantly having great sales and deals but without actually costing them money.

I have noticed that the Lego sets on TRU website stays a lot closer to retail. My son once got two copies of the same Lego set for his birthday -- one was purchased in store. The other on the website. Between one thing and another both ended up being returned (both with gift receipts) and we got vastly different amounts for them.

The TRU sale was only good for me because they had the Movie Super Secret Police Enforcer polybag on sale. Since it's a store exclusive anyway, so it works out.

Otherwise, TRU sales are not really sales...