Hello all!

For my next project, I'm working on a 1968 Ford Mustang, pictured below. It will have full suspension, steering, and drive, and of course it will be motorized with PF.

mump_1012_01_%2B1968_ford_mustang_cobra_jet%2Bfront_view.jpg

I already started work on the front suspension, trying out MacPherson suspension prototypes. I built three, none of which worked:

12594278913_cb390be8e3_b.jpg

After further research, I found that the Mustang I'm building has a double A-arm suspension in the front, so these suspensions were scrapped. Now I'm working on a more accurate suspension, with kingpin inclination and caster angle.

Also, as I'm currently learning CAD, I've been experimenting with some more accurate wheels for the car:

12594462865_b1e3747054_o.png

Edited by Victor Kojenov (TFOL)

The 1968 mustang did not have a macpherson front suspenion though :P

mump-1105-13-o_1969-ford-mustang-boss-429-restoration_front-unit-body-framerails.jpg

Edited by nicjasno

Exactly

After further research, I found that the Mustang I'm building has a double A-arm suspension in the front, so these suspensions were scrapped. Now I'm working on a more accurate suspension, with kingpin inclination and caster angle.

This model looks very promising! Is it going to have any other functions besides drive/steer? Maybe a gearbox with realistic number of speeds, if it's big enough of course.

The model will only be 50-60 studs long, so I'm not sure if I can fit a gearbox in and still have it all remote-controlled.

Well that's understandable, but if it is going to be pretty much drive/steer then will it have good speed and performance?

Well that's understandable, but if it is going to be pretty much drive/steer then will it have good speed and performance?

The model will be focused more on the suspension accuracy and bodywork, but I will try to have the car be as quick as possible.

The mustang also had the shocks mounted to the top wishbones.

Someone's picky :tongue:

What's with the mini pneumatic?

H

That would have been used as an adjustable shock absorber (by filling the cylinder with air).

Smart solution to support the lower A-arms, had to think a while about it how it would move. When bumped the A-arms slightly tilts backwards and gets a slightly shorter wheelbase?

Not at all. the 2 arms are bolted together rigidly, forming one piece, like in modern cars.

Modern cars have rubber bumps designed into the suspension aswell to absorb road shocks, like driving into a pothole or climbing onto a curb.

Not at all. the 2 arms are bolted together rigidly, forming one piece, like in modern cars.

Modern cars have rubber bumps designed into the suspension aswell to absorb road shocks, like driving into a pothole or climbing onto a curb.

My fault. I thought that from the picture the lower A-arms where not laid horizontal on the verhicle. thus lower than being horizontal. Next to that it looked like they were connected on a kind of ball-joint. So when bumped. The A-arm and linkage line up and 'push' the A-arms slightly backwards rotating on it's joint. Might make later an moc-up to view what i exactly mean. Talks easier :P

The L shaped A-arms of the new Mustang do look like 1 piece.

The model will be focused more on the suspension accuracy and bodywork, but I will try to have the car be as quick as possible.

Sounds good, what motors are you going to use?

Are you sure you'll be able to make it somewhat fast with only 1 L motor at this size?

The goal isn't speed, the goal is accuracy.

The goal isn't speed, the goal is accuracy.

Ok, well I hope you can model it as accurately as possible. Also I don't think I've seen a muscle car in this scale with these tires before, it should be interesting. I've tried to make an old sports car in this scale before and it was extremely hard to fit everything you want in it.

Good luck!

The L shaped A-arms of the new Mustang do look like 1 piece.

You mean the 2005-2013 mustang.

Because the 2014 stang (or 2015 model year) now has multilink lower suspension arms.

Well, draw a line rhrough both pivot points. And draw one on them in the pic of the mustang suspension. It's not the same.

Also, the mustang main suspension arm and the rod going forward are bolted together, without a pivot point. The front rubber bushing acts just as a buffer for road shocks. The main suspension arm does not change position like in your pics.

Update!

Built a new suspension setup, this time a double A-arm setup (caster and kingpin angles included). As Alex (nicjasno) pointed out, the shock absorbers on the real Mustang are mounted to the top arms, so that's something that I might look into changing.

12623639715_e7c921cc77_b.jpg