ZCerberus

The Phantom

Mr. ZCerberus, your mad MOCcing skills are impressive as usual. You've even managed to create a very interesting bow technique. I like the rounded slopes used around the cabin. It has a distinct look to it that I haven't seen on other cabins. The viking shields are also a nice touch.

I don't have much more to say. Keep on building! *y*

EDIT: Wait, I think the massive size of this ship has deceived my eyes. Are inverted slopes being used on bow?

EDIT: Wait, I think the massive size of this ship has deceived my eyes. Are inverted slopes being used on bow?

Well there are both inverted slopes and some plates that are angled on hinges... let's see if I have a picture somewhere...

img_1719.jpg

Here is a close up, you can see that the first bit is plates on hinges, then it switches to inverted slopes with bricks.

img_1726.jpg

The ships sides slope in, well at least a little bit, so there is a slight tumblehomme effect, but it is hard to tell because it is so slight.

this pic is 1600 x 1200 so click the thumb to see the slight tumblehomme...

img_1723.jpg_thumb.jpg

Best ship MOC I have ever seen I should say. Great mix of classic hull use and snot techniques to widen the hull. The stern castle is the best ive ever seen, obviously took quite a bit of time and effort and your technique of leaving those window pieces in the open position to create the two smaller windows is ingenious. Words cannot describe how much i envy your MOCing prowess.

Best ship MOC I have ever seen I should say. Great mix of classic hull use and snot techniques to widen the hull. The stern castle is the best ive ever seen, obviously took quite a bit of time and effort and your technique of leaving those window pieces in the open position to create the two smaller windows is ingenious. Words cannot describe how much i envy your MOCing prowess.

Thank you friend! I think my MOCing skills have increased over time.

So a brief update...

I am trying to get the masts tall enough for the length of the ship. this what I am thinking now... I am not sure I will use the Lego masts, I might do all brickbuilt, though the Lego ones would certainly be easier... but this should give you an idea of the height I am planning on using.

aaimg_1847.jpg

Here is shot of the Torso Mosana did. I wasn't overly careful when cutting them out, so I may have to redo a few, but the design is just what I wanted. I don't like the guy with the glasses though, I will switch out his head!

img_1848.jpg

The mizzen mast wasn't cooperating. I realized it should be up on the quarter deck, so I had to stretch the quarter deckdeck... again... the interior of the stern cabin is still the same size, but the decking above it is stretch by about 8 studs. As a bonus, it is now easier to get back behind the stairs to operate the guns behind them.

img_1849.jpg

EDIT: I have made some changes since the pictures...

I moved the Main mast back 2 studs.

I moved the mizzen mast forward 3 studs.

I heightened the foremast by 4 or 5 studs.

Just a suggestion on this find vessel.

The traditional design of masts on a sailing ship isn't straight up but stagnates (can't think of a better word) forward every one third height of the mast like this:

180px-TopmastDiagram.png

P

Just a suggestion on this find vessel.

The traditional design of masts on a sailing ship isn't straight up but stagnates (can't think of a better word) forward every one third height of the mast like this:

180px-TopmastDiagram.png

P

Thanks Phred, that is not a bad idea.

I have seem them stagnate forward on Ships of the line and what not in various pictures, but I guess I didn't notice as much on frigates. I am still trying to settle on a design for the upper masts.

I suppose, it would not be overly hard to do at each mast platform if I should so choose. Did you do the same on the DDW?

I don't really want to use the Lego masts, though it sure would be easier!

Thanks Phred, that is not a bad idea.

I have seem them stagnate forward on Ships of the line and what not in various pictures, but I guess I didn't notice as much on frigates. I am still trying to settle on a design for the upper masts.

I suppose, it would not be overly hard to do at each mast platform if I should so choose. Did you do the same on the DDW?

I don't really want to use the Lego masts, though it sure would be easier!

I think i did pretty good job on the top "stagnant" of the topmasts of the DDW.

topmasts.jpg

I used a flagpole/cannon ball plunger and 3 1x1 bricks w/ stud on side to connect one topmast on top of another.

I figured something out to use for the first stagnant but it's at my brother's house when using 2x2 round bricks for masts instead of snot plates. can see if duke can get a pic online to show you if you'd like.

P

WOW! The only other words I can use to describe it are from Futurama's Dr. Zodiberg- "I think that 2 of my 3 hearts just had attacks." Of course, I mean it in a good way ;-)

Thats gotta be one of the coolest biggests lego ships i've ever seen *sweet*

looks great so far can't wait to see it when its finished

Sparrow

Again I would like to offer you my compliments for this truthfully stunning ship *wub**wub*

I have a question however... I realize it would mean an enormous amount of work and cost an equally large amount of money, but wouldn't you consider reworking the broadside by squeezing in another gun deck? I think your boat is so large it could easliy fit 20 or so more guns.. :)

Edited by Fender Bender

A ship-of-the-line would need to slope in as the ship gets taller in order to stay stable. That slope would be much greater than the slope on this ship. This would mean I would need to increase the beam width by at least another 12 studs to add another gun deck. I just don't have the bricks for a ship-of-the-line like that!

Running out the door here...

I started to work on the rigging and spars.

Here is the progress

The yarn might be a little too thick for the ropes, but we'll see when I get more done how it looks!

aphantom1.jpg

img_2017.jpg

img_2024.jpg

I have also changed figureheads.

img_2014.jpg

And here is the evil pirate of my universe... no, not Phred...

The other Pirate, La Tortuga Oscura! He is a little blurry, oh well! Talk to ya'll later!

img_2016.jpg

Edited by ZCerberus

Ah, I'm still missing out on the fun. After all, I have your sig-fig living in Fort Victoria, and Phred is there to. Some pirate nobody, named "Turtle" is there, but I'M NOT? What is the Order of the Mid-Western Bretheren (OMWB) coming to? :-||

;-)

That one sweet looking ship you got there, and from what i can see the yarn looks fine for your ropes, its a big ship it needs thick ropes.

just my 2 cents

sparrow

Ah, I'm still missing out on the fun. After all, I have your sig-fig living in Fort Victoria, and Phred is there to. Some pirate nobody, named "Turtle" is there, but I'M NOT? What is the Order of the Mid-Western Bretheren (OMWB) coming to? :-||

;-)

Yeah... I don't have a lot of blue torsos in the governor variety though. I think I only have one and he is being used for a Governor figure. I suppose I could print one and put it on a white torso though. maybe after my computer gets fixed I can print one up!

Yeah... I don't have a lot of blue torsos in the governor variety though. I think I only have one and he is being used for a Governor figure. I suppose I could print one and put it on a white torso though. maybe after my computer gets fixed I can print one up!

Hooray! I'm included! At least now you are pating attention to the OMWB guidlines.

Incredible Z. !!

Starting the construction of such a ship is one thing, but actually finishing it is something else.

I'm impressed with the size and beauty of this ship.

And here is the evil pirate of my universe... no, not Phred...

The other Pirate, La Tortuga Oscura! He is a little blurry, oh well! Talk to ya'll later!

img_2016.jpg

Hey Z,

Great choice for an evil pirate! ;-) *y*

It does look very familiar:

captain_and_his_girl.jpg_thumb.jpg

Is this magnificent vessel complete yet?

;-)

OMWB? Am i in the OMWB :)

Great choice for an evil pirate! ;-) *y*

It does look very familiar:

captain_and_his_girl.jpg_thumb.jpg

One of them does look familiar, the other one less so I would say.

Is this magnificent vessel complete yet?

No, I was working on Fort Brighton, which needs an index update from you m'man

OMWB? Am i in the OMWB :)

Well you'll have to ask Norrington, that is his schtick!!

Of course you are! After all, you were born in the Mid-Western United States, wern't you? ;-)

I like it, its very nice, and I like your phantom at bow :)

Thank you Captain, though I must warn you, I do not look kindly on pirates when I catch them!

Work on the Phantom has been slow due to real life.

These pictures are dark, but it should give you some idea of the rigging and the progression on the ship.

img_2130.jpg

img_2129.jpg

img_2131.jpg

img_2132.jpg

Thank you Captain, though I must warn you, I do not look kindly on pirates when I catch them!

Hahaha X-D ........I stand before you and marriage with your fear.....

I like your new progress, nice masts.

From what I see, its going to be very large ship. How much cannons you are planning to add?

Edited by Captain Thorradan Ap Dugal

It must have taken a lot of time and patience to make the rigging like you did.

But the result is worth the effort. Especially the lower part of the rigging (starting from the hull) looks very real.

I guess this is how all the rigging will look when you are finished?

Edited by bonaparte

Wow! Incredible job on that ringing. I would never have the patience to do that! ;-) I must also compliment the figure head. Can't wait to see the whole thing done!