Yawgmoth

2015 LEGO Pirates Rumors and Discussion

Personally the generic names of the sets appeal to me, I like Lego Pirates for being Lego Pirates and these set descriptions sound very Lego Piratey. Better than the alternative, which is to make the sets too gimmicky with names like 'Pirate Earth-Power Fight for Blue Crystal' or whatever. Pirate boats, forts, treasure islands, cannon battles... these are a few of my favourite things. pirate_laugh2.gif

I agree completely. These names gives us hope that the sets will be in veign with earlier Pirates sets - as opposed to something action-gimmicky like Ninjago.

I was in my,dark ages for the last pirates so I am very happy to get anything at this point. I can see multiple purchases in my future.

That does not mean the 4+ Juniors theme, but rather the more recent easy-to-build sets with regular minifigures,

such as the Batman and TMNT Juniors sets that have been available for a while now.

I really love this because the new Juniors theme is just as awesome as the regular theme (just larger parts). We might even see some pirate minifigures exclusive to those Juniors sets.

Just2Good, the price you put up doesn't match what I found for The Brick Bounty. I converted it on Google. I typed in, 180 NZD to USD, and what I found was that it SHOULD be about $150 the ship. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the conversions?

They don't directly convert the prices. For whatever reason, every country outside the US is charged quite a bit extra (often about 50% more than the US prices).

They don't directly convert the prices. For whatever reason, every country outside the US is charged quite a bit extra (often about 50% more than the US prices).

Sometimes double. default_def_shrug.gif

So, someone on /toy/ has claimed they've seen the catalog, and posted this description:

New Pirates is horrible. It looks like a megablocking Junior line, everything is so small and boring. There are the new studshooters used as canons, one pirate have a bowler hat, and the megablocking palm trees are built with technic connectors. The ship is super tiny. There are 2 almost al white tiny forts, and a super tiny skull island.

So, yeah.... Not too great sounding. :sad:

Edited by just2good

So, someone on /toy/ has claimed they've seen the catalog, and posted this description:

Dang, I guess. At least it might be easier on the wallet if everything's tiny, though. At very, very least...

Has this guy said anything about any other themes? While I'm very grateful for Hulk's coverage, we've been left in the dark about a lot of the non-licensed stuff.

Except that you see people saying that here all the time of sets that other people love. Plus the images may not even be the final product.

And also the fact we had someone here in another forum making claims about the new sets who later recanted said claims.

So I'll keep my head buried in the sands of treasure island and dream about the best pirate wave ever.

New Pirates is horrible. It looks like a megablocking Junior line, everything is so small and boring. There are the new studshooters used as canons, one pirate have a bowler hat, and the megablocking palm trees are built with technic connectors. The ship is super tiny. There are 2 almost al white tiny forts, and a super tiny skull island.

I'd like to think that someone was making this up, as it sounds very not good. Until you look over the last few years, and you realize that it's perfectly likely that these will be the new line, when you look at LEGO sets and trends. Shall we go through it one by one?

• Studshooters used as cannons: Almost everyone builds cannons these days, sadly, and LEGO has built brick-built ones before as well(And, unless they're going for really, really light cannons, those studshooters will need to be bulked up). LEGO has shown that they really think that these will catch on, and so they will keep putting them in sets, despite the almost universally negative fan view of their attempt with flick-fires.
  • http://www.bradfordrant.org/pod04_uk/ - one of LEGO's first 'official' brick-built cannons, for reference(It's the fourth or fifth picture in the slide-show).
  • Pirate with a bowler hat - Not exactly normal, but then again, it's not like it's the first time someone's done it with LEGOs. No particular reason why this couldn't happen.
  • Trees built out of Technic. This is the one that makes me think that this is real. Anyone remember Banana Balance? Why spend a few cents on a pre-molded palm tree, when you can just get rid of old inventory:
  • 3853-0000-xx-33-1.jpg
  • The ship is tiny: Well, it's been estimated to be around $90. The old $100 is now anywhere from $130 to $150. So, yeah, this one lines up too.
  • Two tiny forts: The same as with the ship. They are priced at $19.99 and $39.99(approximately), and as they are going to apparently connect, they will probably be built in LOTR wall style. Which, again, would make sense that they are "tiny".
  • Super tiny skull island: Same as above.

So, all in all, this poster seems to have either put a lot of thought into making up his story, or he's actually seen the catalog. Either way...these aren't the pirates we're looking for.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

I'd like to think that someone was making this up, as it sounds very not good. Until you look over the last few years, and you realize that it's perfectly likely that these will be the new line, when you look at LEGO sets and trends. Shall we go through it one by one?

Yeah, not only are your points good, but just look at the latest LEGO Castle line. This poster is legit.

$90 USD is the same price as the LotR Pirate Ship, so that should give some idea of set size. At that price I am most fearful of the masts and sails. Figure something simpler and more skeletal than either PotC ships or Brickbeards Bounty.

$90 USD is the same price as the LotR Pirate Ship, so that should give some idea of set size. At that price I am most fearful of the masts and sails. Figure something simpler and more skeletal than either PotC ships or Brickbeards Bounty.

It will be a bit bigger than the Corsair ship though because of the licensed theme price increase.

Well, this is good news about the return of pirates. Hopefully it wont be as bad as all that. Though Im a bit disappointed that there is no soldier ship, but that makes it more likely there will be a 2nd wave, where we might see more. And I was also hoping a more substantial island, but based on the price, it seems we will be getting a pretty tiny one.

And it looks like TLG went with the name „Brick Bounty“. Eh, I was hoping they would nix it for something more imaginative. I recall they werent bound to respect the poll.

Well, this is good news about the return of pirates. Hopefully it wont be as bad as all that. Though Im a bit disappointed that there is no soldier ship, but that makes it more likely there will be a 2nd wave, where we might see more. And I was also hoping a more substantial island, but based on the price, it seems we will be getting a pretty tiny one.

And it looks like TLG went with the name „Brick Bounty“. Eh, I was hoping they would nix it for something more imaginative. I recall they werent bound to respect the poll.

Yeah, "The Brick Bounty" has to be the worst pirate ship name I've ever heard. I hope they catch onto the fact that no one likes that name and change it before they print the packaging.

I think when you surround the set descriptions with so much negativity, of course they are going to sound 'megablocking horrible'. That technic-built tree doesn't look so bad to me, and if I disagree about one thing, I might disagree about other things as well. And I've already considered giving my pirates access to bowler hats, so I'm not surprised by this development. The stud shooters do sound unappealing, but I'll wait and see before judging them. And the small set sizes suggest this will be an ongoing theme, they can't possible have a Pirate theme without a soldier's ship. The small set sizes also don't bother me because I already have ships in other sizes, so a small ship is going to give more variety.

I think I'm enough of a Pirate fan to appreciate anything they produce regardless. :)

I like the sound of this small ship. There's been enough large pirate ships, but with a small ship you can change the sails and make it a trading ship, or a smuggling ship.

I agree that the tree actually looks pretty good. And yeah, I'd actually like a small ship to mix in with my big ones. But I was hoping for larger land based models so bummer.

Didnt someone say they are amking a JUNIOR labelled pirate set? so if person saw that it makes sense he thought it looked like jjunior x]

And yeah IF they were prelim images, they very well could easily look bad, they often do. But we'll now whats up when we see finished pix.

Didnt someone say they are amking a JUNIOR labelled pirate set? so if person saw that it makes sense he thought it looked like jjunior x]

Well, the person indicates that he saw multiple sets, not just one. So the JUNIOR one could have been AMONG them, but not the only one he comments on.

Any redux in the theme I feel is great. I wouldn't want to accept anything in the beggars can't be choosers mold, but I'm happy at the news. We really know next to nothing. We know set prices and names and one person's opinion on a vague witnessing of said sets. Plus the figs may be outstanding.

Well, the person indicates that he saw multiple sets, not just one. So the JUNIOR one could have been AMONG them, but not the only one he comments on.

Yeah but the persons opinion on 1 set could easily affect his opinion on the whole thing. Like the shock of 1 bad set can leave you with a bad taste for the entire wave. Especialy if you dont get alot of time to take in what you're seeing.

It will be a bit bigger than the Corsair ship though because of the licensed theme price increase.

I think a few analysis have mainly revealed that the licensed price increase is mostly a myth, or is so negligible as to be nearly invisible to the consumers. Price per gram licensed and unlicensed sets come out fairly closely. Especially once you get past the $29 mark. What differences there are with the more commonly compared licenses such as Star Wars and Super Heroes really seems to be more mold costs for less reuseable unique character parts. And if I remember correctly the Pirate Ship did not use any of those save Gimli's helm and beard (which is so bloody common in LotR sets that it doesn't really qualify as unique).

So I figure that this ship will be about the same size as the LotR one, at least in weight and rough part count. I figure the Pirates one would strip out most of the detail greeblies in favor of more brickwork to give it a deeper hull and add at least one more bow piece. So probably very close to the hull structure of the Brickbeards Bounty or the Black Pearl. Actually thinking on the BP wasn't that at the $90 price point? If so that makes me a little more hopeful for this one. It's still just going to be a bathtub with no separate decks. Not at that price point. I'm most fearful of the sails and masts. I somehow sense that they will be flimsier than the BrickBeard Bounty. Hopefully they won't be as bad as the LotR ships masts and rigging.

I see no issues with using some newer style headgear for variety. (When did people start wearing bowlers?) someone should point out that that wide brimmed floppy hat from the CMF Scare Crow would also work well in Pirates with different printing. Using the new shooters does not immediately offend me. Provided we get one real cannon. I've been looking at them trying to figure out some other uses for them lately. Swivel guns or as the basis for light cannon seems a reasonable option. Plus it's a play feature.