just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

Stop teasing you devil, share! :laugh:

First, I have to wait for something, then I'll post the hi-res here. You can see 'em

for now. :tongue: Edited by just2good

I am thus far underwhelmed. Smaug looks good but a small £100 set with five figures, what a lame way to end the hobbit range. Where the heck is thorin? I like the inclusion of some of the dwarves but I expected kili and fili to be in the lake town tower set not here. If thorin doesn't appear in his new armour in one of these sets it will be a terrible shame, I guess he must be in the BO5A. Unless of course (I hope) USA today are wrong and there is more than five figures! Hold on!!! FBTB said nine were in the set shown at toy fair February including Bilbo and that they were all dwarves. I mean the TMNT lair set is cheaper and has more figures. I hope that image is missing a part and USA Today have got their wires crossed as they already seem to have no idea which dwarves are which! I think that might be thorin with the sword as kili usually uses a bow and arrow and has a quiver. Plus it looks like battle armour of some kind and I can't see why they wouldn't put thorin in the largest set! Nuts that is kili

Edited by legofreak86

I was waiting for this set after the lack luster previous ones, and up it looks ok. Smaug looks great in my opinion, although the rest of the set seems lacking considering the price tag, even with the dragon costs.

Something does seem off about Smaug though, his wings seem weird--the center fleshy parts specifically. They seem bend in weird ways. I know this is out there, but maybe they're bendable? So Smaug could go to his crawling/crouch mode. That would be epic. Crazy yes?

Fingers crossed that's what happened!

Doesn't look like it. just2good's video makes it look like Kili, unfortunately. :sceptic:

Yeah, 5 minifigs is really weird for a set of this size, even when accounting for Smaug :laugh: At least it eases our guesswork for the minifig rosters of the other sets a bit :grin:

I was waiting for this set after the lack luster previous ones, and up it looks ok. Smaug looks great in my opinion, although the rest of the set seems lacking considering the price tag, even with the dragon costs.

Something does seem off about Smaug though, whisk wings seem weird--the center fleshy parts specifically. They seem bend in weird ways. I know this is out there, but maybe they're bendable? So Smaug could go to his crawling/crouch mode. That would be epic. Crazy yes?

Hmmm... bending wings. If LEGO is capable of such a thing, it would be amazing. But at the same time, having that much non-ABS plastic in one LEGO set or element seems like too much. Its get to far away from LEGO and becomes too much like a boring toy from another company.

thanks.

So smaug got that plastic sheet kindof wings it seems. Unless its some new flatter rubber type mold.

Edited by deskp

Thanks for the image :thumbup: The wings seem to be quite flexible - and there appears to be a joint within the wings! :sweet: The Arkenstone however doesn't look like in the game, it seems to be a clear 1x1 round piece (either a tile or a studded piece) on top of a Chima crystal :wacko: And I like the use of the ice cream cone pieces as torches :laugh:

Thx for HD images/video. Is it me or is Smaug a little more detailed around the eyes in terms of sculpt and paint jobs? He looks less cartoony.

I'm just glad this set isn't a sticker fest. As Mines of Moria is my favourite LotR set, you can guess that I really like this set as well.

Oh those wings totally fold! Even better! I cannot wait to get Smaug. Although even in HD the rest of the set is disappointing. Still--coolest Lego dragon ever!

It looks like his wings can fold because theres a hinge next to his fingers,as far as the set go's, I hope theres another section to it ,because this is kind of a let down

P.S.I hope there is a section missing ,because this isn't the first time we have only seen a section of the set in a picture.

I think this is a great set for $100. For $130, not so much.

I'm actually pretty happy with the set in general. Sand green is interesting and the dwarves architecture is apparent. I think they did a great job with Smaug.

Minifig selection could be better, but I think there's a chance for the other sets will make up for that.

It's not perfect, but there's a lot about it to be happy about. For me at least.

Not only is part of the left side of the picture missing, but on the right side as well (look closely at the tips of Smaugs wing) :wacko: I don't really expect some minifigs to be hidden on either side, but it'd be a nice surprise nonetheless :laugh:

It does kind of remind me of the Dwarf Mine set from Fantasy Era - I guess the interior of the throne and mine look ok (even though I hated the whole smelting nonsense from the end of the last film) and Smaug looks decent. I could do without the repeats of Dwarf figures I've already got and I guess Bilbo is kind of essential to the scene, but overall i'm kind of dissapointed. Maybe it isn't possible to capture Erebor short of a 3000 piece UCS set but I can't help thinking it wouldn't have been better to include Smaug in a smaller Lake Town set along with Bard and a few extra Lake Town figures.

Can't wait for this set!!!! Smaug is even better than I imagined.

Hopefully there's more to the set on the left side of the image; but regardless, this is a must-buy for me.

The set looks GREAT. Not sure I like the $130 price tag though. This looks more like a $100 set to me. Agreed about the quantity of minifigs and Kili/Fili???

I will be buying the entire wave on day one. I'm excited.

Should we be in store for a video showing some of the details, like what we got last year for Lake-Town Chase?

Ya, this is pretty much what I was expecting. I just knew we were going to get the dwarves again, there literally was nothing else Lego could of put in this set and keep it true to film unless they were trying to include parts outside of the mountain or from the Bo5A. I think the minifigure selection is not only lackluster, but so few figs in such an expensive set makes it that much worse. Why Fili and Kili are here, along with Dwalin having a translucent weapon are anyone's guess. I am assuming Lego is trying to cover multiple scenes in one set?

Smaug is obviously the stand out here and cause for the high price. He looks absolutely stunning, especially his face. His wings appear to be made with some sort of heavy cloth/canvas to allow them to fold? Possibly a rubber? That's pretty cool. I am not a fan of his huge stomache and tree trunk legs, he is much more slender in the film, but of course that was done for stability sake.

As for the build, I am not sure how I feel about it. I kinda wish they would of stuck with the throne room or the melting chamber rather than cobble both together the way they did. It looks odd. I only have seen the DoS once but thise scene doesn't instantly come to mind. It looks more like a vague Lego creation rather than based on the actual scene? Much like the Mirkwood Elf Army set.

All in all this is pretty much what I was expecting. I wasn't terribly excited about this set when it was first announced and was mainly just looking forward to Smaug. In that sense, this set didn't disappoint. Everything else seems fairly bland and uninspired though.

The set itself and the dragon-Smaug looks fantastic, however I don't think I would be willing to fork out possibly £100 for this set as I have my eyes focused on other awesome sets. I may end up picking this set up in the sale after the film (5 minifigures is also very small for a set this size, but the same can be said with orthanc). :classic:

Ya, this is pretty much what I was expecting. I just knew we were going to get the dwarves again, there literally was nothing else Lego could of put in this set and keep it true to film unless they were trying to include parts outside of the mountain or from the Bo5A. I think the minifigure selection is not only lackluster, but so few figs in such an expensive set makes it that much worse. Why Fili and Kili are here, along with Dwalin having a translucent weapon are anyone's guess. I am assuming Lego is trying to cover multiple scenes in one set?

We get the 4 msot important dwarves in this set next to Thorin. Putting them in this set means they wont take up space elsewhere. and theres no neeed to make the less important dwarves just to be movie accurate.

It's great that all the dwarves comes in their BO5A armor, instead of the rags. The movie is The battle of the five armes after all.

Lets jstu hope the pic isnt a mistake, since the article mentioned ori and gloin. wich i don't want again.

As for only 5 figures. i agree thats few. but by the soudns of it we get 3 figures in the smallest set, wich usualy only has 2.