just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

Exactly... it was meant as LOTR/Hobbit being evergreen as works of ''art'' or better works of literature and its impact they had on it....

Not as LEGO theme.

Seems something that TLG wouldn't have to mention after the previous 3 waves of TLoR and The Hobbit. Most people are familiar with the literary work, but even so the sets are based on the movies. Which is made even more relevant since three of the four sets are based on scenes that do not come from the book.

Edited by Darth Punk

In lego termns its a theme that stays around forever/keep returning and doesent go out of style. Like star wars or city.

TLG also considers themes like pirates and space to be evergreen.

I think the journey continues is part of the foreshadowing we will see in the hobbit to TLoR.

Is it possible that TLG has more of a long term plan for TLoR? There are still plenty of sets that could be made and would fill out the castle line in less generic terms. Helms Deep was very popular and there are other locations such as Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, Minas Morgul, etc that could be released over time that could fall easily within the castle line.

Wishful thinking? Maybe, but it could explain wave 2 and the lack of gondor soldiers. But it also might mean people would have to wait longer to see some sets.

Edited by Darth Punk

I have a question regarding evergreen sets as they relate to SW. Since SW theme has been released, has there been a year when no sets were released? Only to come back the foloowing year? If so, I think people are too gloomy about hobbit and LOTR.

The only picture I saw was a promo poster "cartoon" type image showing Bard holding the ring or something. Looks like no go for NY.

I have a question regarding evergreen sets as they relate to SW. Since SW theme has been released, has there been a year when no sets were released? Only to come back the foloowing year? If so, I think people are too gloomy about hobbit and LOTR.

Star Wars has had many sets every year since 1999. There has never been a year like that.

@Zcerberus: You mean this?

toy-fair-nada.jpg

http://www.lordofthebrick.com/2014/02/new-york-toy-fair-rien-sur-les-gammes-lotrthe-hobbit/

Too bad it's just a picture of Bard (though being an awesome one) and not even a preview pic of Smaug or something like that, so zero effort right there :hmpf_bad: I know that the people who went to the LTF didn't have enough time to examine the sets in detail, but now I really wish a Middle-Earth enthusiast would have attended to give us at least a decent minifig list :sweet: The videogame will obviously reveal the designs for Galadriel, Bolg, Bain and Smaug, but that's it :sadnew:

So does the fact that it says "Continue the Adventure December 2014" instead of something like "The Journey concludes December 2014" Imply that there's still more to come? Or Am I reading into this too much?

So does the fact that it says "Continue the Adventure December 2014" instead of something like "The Journey concludes December 2014" Imply that there's still more to come? Or Am I reading into this too much?

I don't think you're reading into it too much. Makes sense to me. Especially since it used to be "concludes." They wouldn't change it without a good reason. But no Middle-Earth sets for an entire year, while that dumb movie gets like 30? Well done, saved me some money this summer.

Generally that isn't very profitable when you are doing a license themes. You either have long stretches you aren't using the license but still paying for it, or you have to end the license agreement then buy it again later. Plus you don't have the momentum of hype from the previous waves. It's generally much more in Lego's favor to release everything they have in back to back waves.

I don't think you're reading into it too much. Makes sense to me. Especially since it used to be "concludes." They wouldn't change it without a good reason. But no Middle-Earth sets for an entire year, while that dumb movie gets like 30? Well done, saved me some money this summer.

Honestly, at this point, I don't know what to believe. It seems like Lego is just dropping the ball left and right with their Middle-Earth themes which makes me think they don't care about them as much because they haven't been as profitable as other themes. Why have one advertisement that says the journey ends in 2014, and another that says it continues? Why plan for an October 2014 release and then change it a month later to December 2014? Why are so many sets based seemingly based on DoS (I think the answer to this question is probably the most clear.. they didn't want to mess anymore sets up and wanted to have the right source material to model them after), and most important why NO GONDOR SETS YET?!

Do you think we'll get more polybags for TaBA? With the Battle of Five Armies presumably being a major scene, I hope we get more orcs or maybe even Dain Ironfoot's dwarven infantry.

Who knows. It has been kind of hit and miss what with the polybags since the second LotR wave didn't have any. Then again it had the big D2C Orthanc set and every other wave has had them soo...

Personally I would LOVE to get an Ironhill Dwarf soldier polybag. It seems we won't be getting a $30 army build in the third Hobbit wave which is a HUGE disappointment to me. There really is no other place we could get Middle-Earth dwarves to army build with and the one option (Bo5A), Lego seems to totally be passing up. My first choice for a poly would be an Ironhill Dwarf Soldier and my second an orc since we have no real good way to army build them either as of yet. Of course I would much rather have a Mordor Orc poly than a Gundabad one...

I thought polybags were promotional in nature, so the likely-hood of having a no-name/generic soldier type character would be rather small?... Then again, they did a Laketown Guard, so that theory must not be entirely accurate. Who knows. All I know is that I'd be thrilled to get a Ironhill/Orc soldier polybag, and would probably buy quite a few of them.

Who said this thread will be closed for 5 month's?

We still have the game we can talk about that for a couple of month's!

and before you know it it's SDCC. We are Tolkienites

And Tolkienites always have something to talk about :grin:

The videogame will obviously reveal the designs for Galadriel, Bolg, Bain and Smaug, but that's it :sadnew:

Well Galadriel might change clothes before dol gudur. But we'll proapbly see if they make a new hairpiece for her or use Arwen's.

I thought polybags were promotional in nature, so the likely-hood of having a no-name/generic soldier type character would be rather small?... Then again, they did a Laketown Guard, so that theory must not be entirely accurate. Who knows. All I know is that I'd be thrilled to get a Ironhill/Orc soldier polybag, and would probably buy quite a few of them.

Actually they have given us a no-name generic soldier every time we have gotten a pair of polybags thus far. It has been a no-name generic soldier and a unique character for each wave. The first LotR was a Uruk-hai and Frodo, the first Hobbit was Gandalf and a Mirkwood Elf Guard, the second LotR wave didn't get any polys, and the second Hobbit wave had the Lake-town Guard and Legolas. I think it's pretty obvious the most likely outcome for a third Hobbit wave set of polybags would be a main character and a generic soldier. I think the only thing we have to worry about is IF we get polybags this time, since we didn't with the second LotR wave (that would of been a perfect chance to give us a Mordor Orc with hair or Undead Soldier, and someone else we don't need like Aragorn).

Who said this thread will be closed for 5 month's?

We still have the game we can talk about that for a couple of month's!

and before you know it it's SDCC. We are Tolkienites

And Tolkienites always have something to talk about :grin:

That was me :grin: It was just a cynical remark, but there really won't be that much to discuss till the end of July when SDCC starts and even then, they only reveal one set there (which would be either the BO5A or the Erebor set), so another 3-4 months of dead silence afterwards :hmpf_bad: The game hits the market in April and will only reveal some of the minifigs (the ones I mentioned above and Alfrid, whom I forgot to mention in my last post :grin:), so I don't think that will offer much to discuss. Besides, the game itself has a separate thread dedicated to it and is thus not discussed here :wink:

What really bothers me is the release date. Why did they intend to release the sets in October (as stated in the retailer catalogue and at the LTF) and then just postpone them merely three weeks later? I don't think it was Warner/New Line who interfered in the matter since they surely must have approved the earlier release date too, which seems to have been a compromise anyway :wink: My only hope is that the release date announced at the NYTF is just wrong, which it sometimes is depending on regions and the respective retailers :laugh:

That was me :grin: It was just a cynical remark, but there really won't be that much to discuss till the end of July when SDCC starts and even then, they only reveal one set there (which would be either the BO5A or the Erebor set), so another 3-4 months of dead silence afterwards :hmpf_bad: The game hits the market in April and will only reveal some of the minifigs (the ones I mentioned above and Alfrid, whom I forgot to mention in my last post :grin:), so I don't think that will offer much to discuss. Besides, the game itself has a separate thread dedicated to it and is thus not discussed here :wink:

What really bothers me is the release date. Why did they intend to release the sets in October (as stated in the retailer catalogue and at the LTF) and then just postpone them merely three weeks later? I don't think it was Warner/New Line who interfered in the matter since they surely must have approved the earlier release date too, which seems to have been a compromise anyway :wink: My only hope is that the release date announced at the NYTF is just wrong, which it sometimes is depending on regions and the respective retailers :laugh:

I get what your saying, it's true! :cry_sad:

BTW where is that Game Thread?

Actually they have given us a no-name generic soldier every time we have gotten a pair of polybags thus far. It has been a no-name generic soldier and a unique character for each wave. The first LotR was a Uruk-hai and Frodo, the first Hobbit was Gandalf and a Mirkwood Elf Guard, the second LotR wave didn't get any polys, and the second Hobbit wave had the Lake-town Guard and Legolas. I think it's pretty obvious the most likely outcome for a third Hobbit wave set of polybags would be a main character and a generic soldier. I think the only thing we have to worry about is IF we get polybags this time, since we didn't with the second LotR wave (that would of been a perfect chance to give us a Mordor Orc with hair or Undead Soldier, and someone else we don't need like Aragorn).

Ah, that's right. I forgot about the Uruk-Hai and Mirkwood Elf polybags. In that case, I think there's a fairly big chance we'll get either an orc polybag, or a Ironhill Dwarf one. Or possibly an elf soldier polybag, with their cool helms. Now that would be sweet.

The release date is probably effected by the movie release date. That close to the movies actual release WB might not care. But TLG does want to maximize the tie in potential to the movie. So they want the sets new, prominent and fully stocked on store shelves at a specific near point to the movie in order to maximize marketing synergy. They may have gotten the previous Hobbit sets out a little too soon with regard to the movies and this can hurt sales momentum. Inside of 30 days is really where they want to be.

In the UK I think the sets came out a little late to make best use of the film and they were not as easy to find as the first film or the 2 lotr waves