just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

The Erebor set makes a lot of sense for kids. It covers two scenes from both films with one set. You have the dwarves fighting Smaug in the forge with the one section (and lots of play features), and then the dwarves all geared up and the throne room to cover the Bo5A movie. The set reminds me a lot of Mines of Moria. That set got SOO much flak when it was first released, but I think a lot of it was unwarranted when you really think about it.

Most people complained Mines of Moria was just a bunch of walls and not fully enclosed. I loved the way Lego did the set though. It still looked exactly like the MoM room the fight took place in minus two walls. You had the well, the tomb, the doors the troll and goblins burst through, the falling pillars, etc. Why WOULD Lego fully enclose the set? It adds NOTHING to the play value. It adds NOTHING to the display value (from the outside it would look like a gray square box unless you look top down). The only thing it would do is make the set cost twice as much. I am sorry, but I don't want to pay $130-150 for Mines of Moria simply to get two extra gray walls and fully enclose the set. Plus, if you DO want it fully enclosed, or to add a base plate, you can always spend the money and do it yourself. I think the Erebor set is a lot like Mines of Moria in this way.

I agree :thumbup: It combines the most important features of Erebor in one set (minus the statues) :sweet: It features the throne room (including the Arkenstone), the mining section, the forges, the entrance (including the key), a pile of gold, lots of gold ore (represented by crystals), a few gems and of course Smaug :wub: The only thing I truly miss here are gold coins and ingots, but you can't have everything :grin: Of course it's not on par with sets like Orthanc, but it doesn't need to be :wink:

Exactly. And why doesn't it need to be? Because SMAUG!

Another similarity between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogies: both had second movies with climactic battles that ended up becoming $130 LEGO sets.

And on the subject of the Bag End set, if you ever come across it at your local store, BUY IT. Everything about it is incredible- the minifigures, the design, and the parts are all amazing. I own one and it's awesome.

I honestly cannot argue with that.

I agree :thumbup: It combines the most important features of Erebor in one set (minus the statues) :sweet: It features the throne room (including the Arkenstone), the mining section, the forges, the entrance (including the key), a pile of gold, lots of gold ore (represented by crystals), a few gems and of course Smaug :wub: The only thing I truly miss here are gold coins and ingots, but you can't have everything :grin: Of course it's not on par with sets like Orthanc, but it doesn't need to be :wink:

Yeah, would have been great to get a prarl gold baseplate with a few sets of coins.

Ehh, I woukd have liked a lot of coins, but I think a pearl gold baseplay like many are suggesting would have made the set look sloppy.

Also, I got my September-October Club magazine, and right before a great page with thr picture we saw yesterday, I saw something awesome. It's a shot of Smaug buried in gold with Bilbo searching the chamber behind. It looks simply beautiful!

Also, there's a better shot of the throne itself in the pic, and it looks really cool. Lots of 1x2x2 brackets.

Also, I got my September-October Club magazine, and right before a great page with thr picture we saw yesterday, I saw something awesome. It's a shot of Smaug buried in gold with Bilbo searching the chamber behind. It looks simply beautiful!

Strange? i've only had a picture with Bard shooting Smaug!

After first negative "wow" this is actually a clever set. Contains main areas like throne room, mines, Smaug, secret doors important figs...All together. Only one thing to complain is price. Once I get that set It is easily to mod it. Actually there is realy good ideas in it to create inside of Erebor with not a huge amount of bricks, and maintain the main atmosphere of it. So I can imagine that those who dont like that connection (throne and mines) can easily create some addiction to them, like expand of that trhone section and make those mines bigger, maybe create some section with forges etc.

Not everybody can be pleased, but honestly, its a toy, so why some of you expect a great replication of one scene? That set should inc,ude play features and as much areas/scenes as its possible, and all because of kids. So use your imaginaton and creativity and be fine with it or buy those figs you want on brickling and dont bother rest of us with those comments. Its everybody personal opinion I know, but onnce the set is done thre is not much to do with it. And word doesent change it... :)

Peace

That was beautiful :cry_happy:

Very nice, Same in NL, guess its for all country's
That image is nice but I also hope there would be that much gold and coins in the set :wink: (or a little bit of it anyway)

But as I said before these sets are not that bad, I like them all actually and I have started to feel that I don´t understand all the negativity (some negativity is acceptable but some of it is just childish complaining

So the new lego club magazine is out? we should be getting our magazine in the post soon then also.

There are seven studless pearl gold 1x1 round plates used as good coins in the Forest Ambush Castle set. That is on clearance in this part of the world. Use those and the three gems in that set for your dragon horde.

I hate the minifig prints in Castle 2013 but that is a cheap way to get weapons, helmets and other MOCing material.

The Erebor set makes a lot of sense for kids. It covers two scenes from both films with one set. You have the dwarves fighting Smaug in the forge with the one section (and lots of play features), and then the dwarves all geared up and the throne room to cover the Bo5A movie. The set reminds me a lot of Mines of Moria. That set got SOO much flak when it was first released, but I think a lot of it was unwarranted when you really think about it.

Most people complained Mines of Moria was just a bunch of walls and not fully enclosed. I loved the way Lego did the set though. It still looked exactly like the MoM room the fight took place in minus two walls. You had the well, the tomb, the doors the troll and goblins burst through, the falling pillars, etc. Why WOULD Lego fully enclose the set? It adds NOTHING to the play value. It adds NOTHING to the display value (from the outside it would look like a gray square box unless you look top down). The only thing it would do is make the set cost twice as much. I am sorry, but I don't want to pay $130-150 for Mines of Moria simply to get two extra gray walls and fully enclose the set. Plus, if you DO want it fully enclosed, or to add a base plate, you can always spend the money and do it yourself. I think the Erebor set is a lot like Mines of Moria in this way.

No but having it half enclosed (50% in 1 wall not everything seperate woudl be far better...... for display purposes.... otherwise i agree Miens of Moria was a cool set, the only problem i had was shield from Uruks in it and i would prefered 1 extra Moria Orc with helmet ofc :P

The Mines of Moria set had numerous great movie details too, I hope we get some hidden details in the Erebor set that are not clear until we get pictures of the segments of the set in greater quality.

The Mines of Moria set had numerous great movie details too, I hope we get some hidden details in the Erebor set that are not clear until we get pictures of the segments of the set in greater quality.

Like the hidden door? :wink:

There are seven studless pearl gold 1x1 round plates used as good coins in the Forest Ambush Castle set. That is on clearance in this part of the world. Use those and the three gems in that set for your dragon horde.

I hate the minifig prints in Castle 2013 but that is a cheap way to get weapons, helmets and other MOCing material.

It would have been great if they had put like 200 of these in the set, would have made the part count a lot better too at little cost.

No but having it half enclosed (50% in 1 wall not everything seperate woudl be far better...... for display purposes.... otherwise i agree Miens of Moria was a cool set, the only problem i had was shield from Uruks in it and i would prefered 1 extra Moria Orc with helmet ofc :P

Can't you just MOC it with like ten pieces and make the wall with the pillars and the door connect? Then it would be roughly 50% enclosed? I agree about the Moria Orc helms, those would have been badass. I am sure the Cave Troll really blew the budget on that set though.

Edited by Deathleech

The Erebor set would have been significantly better for me if it included a dwarf helm instead of the standard helm - either Dains (but less gaudy, for regular troops) or Gimlis in a metallic color.

It would have been great if they had put like 200 of these in the set, would have made the part count a lot better too at little cost.

Yeah, but then everyone would have complained that a fifth of the piece count consisted of coins :tongue:

@Blazej_Holen: There is, check out the right corner of this picture:

79018_alt2.jpg

Just a regular classic helmet, but still :wink:

Ugh! Yeah, Gimli's in "pearl dark grey" would've been wonderful (printed or not). Of course, it'd still be a big expensive set and thus not practical for buying multiples to outfit a bunch of custom Iron Hill Dwarves with the helmet... :sceptic:

Can't you just MOC it with like ten pieces and make the wall with the pillars and the door connect? Then it would be roughly 50% enclosed? I agree about the Moria Orc helms, those would have been badass. I am sure the Cave Troll really blew the budget on that set though.

Yes I can but no I do not want..... We can MOC many things and we can even wait for molds from Brickarms etc. but I dont want them.............

I am personally not a MOCers (atleast not in big MOCs only do small vignettes that are under 300 pieces) and for display I have purely sets with additional details (mainly foilage, barrels, animals, weapons, armor, troops etc.........

But the core is a stand alone set like MMV with more civilians mroe guards, more trees and barrels etc.

For the way I display it, the seperate sections in The Mines of Moria let me show them off in a way that I think is better than if they had been connected.

Edited by Hypernova888

Honestly, I think 79018 is a really good set. The only thing about the build I don't like is th BURP on the forge area. But LEGO did do a pretty good job of covering it up. The price is a tad frustrating, but I think the set-having Smaug-would have been alright at $120. So I'm not that annoyed at spending $10 more than I would like.

I am a fan of 79018 too, there are losts of gold pieces my only changes would be more dwarves (2 odd, Nori and another) and the price. Further than that we do get rock pieces and I think as much as we would like a shell of the mountain it is unrealistic in a play set.