just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

Will Bilbo wear this during the battle? Looks like Dale.

I'm bummed we didn't get new face prints for Bilbo this year. A determined/angry combo would have been nice. On top of that I never thought they quite nailed his face, his shire variant looks fine, but his harried version looks too old. And I think his hair would have looked better in dark tan instead of just reusing Sam's. Well, there's nothing that can be done now...

that is a photoshop not from the movie.

bilbo wears his blue outfit, with mithril udnershirt and no scarf in the battle.

Don't forget Episode VII!!! :p

MY bad! That one looks intriguing! Especially as they have the tech and acting talent to revive the franchise and do it justice! On the subject of the next hobbit wave i'm confident they will represent the movie and do it justice. Even if not with the sets at very least with the second wave they produced one lareg locale from all 3 movies and gave us some needed main and secondary figures. If they can do slightly better here then they will have succeded in my eyes!

Edited by legofreak86

We are talking about Peter leaving out Dain in the movie! I strongly doubt that, if he's in the movie he's in the set that's for sure. besides i point at the Toy Fair reports again

I doubt it as well. So far PJ hasn't left any characters out of the Hobbit films that were in the book, unlike with LotR. In fact he has done nothing but add extra characters. Thinking PJ will leave out Dain, much less the Iron Hill dwarves, seems preposterous. It's the Battle of FIVE Armies and the Iron Hill Dwarves make up one of those factions after all. The 13 dwarves in Thorin's company hardly would count as an army. The Iron Hill Dwarves also need a leader and king so Dain should still be included in the film's. In Lego sets is another story seeing their track record with LotR...

Ofc the 2nd hobbit film made less money its not even Hobbit film anymore.... its a disaster to say the least.... a made out PJ film and he picked out all characters from Hobbit..... the Bombur rolling in barrel and rambo style just made it officially over the top for me.....

I actually liked the second film up to the Laketown bit - Mirkwood and the Barrel Escape, while clearly altered to make them more exciting than the novel, were at least in the spirit of the books. The whole Laketown bit where Dwarves have to be smuggled into the town but apparently orcs and elves are permitted to carry out open warfare on the rooftops was bad but the final "Let's make a giant statue of molten gold to defeat this dragon" was pitiful. I couldn't believe a years worth of focus groups could have come up with something that lame yet somehow PJ managed it.

luckily LOTR is watchable and realistic.

Yep - Legolas surfing down steps on a shield or off the trunks of giant elephants sure was realistic...in retrospect the seeds of some of the Hobbit decisions were clearly evident in the last couple of LOTOR films - which is why Fellowship still remains my favourite as it was much more grounded.

Back on topic - they should have called the Erebor set "Smaug + parts pack" cause that's what it looks like to me.

I thought that the barrel scene (and the ridiculous Bombur bouncing around stuff) was not too dissimilar to the goblin town and plate throwing scenes in the first movie. Where the dwarves seemingly do everything choreographed even though it is spontaneous. Disagree with its legitimacy if you like, but it isn't unprecedented.

Nowhere near as silly a "rollercoaster" as the Tintin movie action sequence.

Yep - Legolas surfing down steps on a shield or off the trunks of giant elephants sure was realistic...in retrospect the seeds of some of the Hobbit decisions were clearly evident in the last couple of LOTOR films - which is why Fellowship still remains my favourite as it was much more grounded.

And even that's at least conceivably possible for somebody with world-class dexterity. The rubbery behaviour of wooden barrels and embarrassing orc-catapult sequence only fit into Roadrunner and Wily Coyote cartoons. The same with the goblin eye rolling after being beheaded and the whole Goblin Town sequence, really.

I completely agree with you about the Lake-town disaster. It's such a shame, since the location was beautifully crafted from an aesthetic point-of-view. I like the LEGO set as well. I just purchased it on sale, and it might be my second favourite Hobbit set (following Bag End, of course) regarding display value. As such, I'm looking forward to the reported add-on. As others, I expect a small tower with wind lance on top. It's too bad those polybag Lake-town guards are not available in Australia and can only be acquired at scalper prices online.

Atleast that physically half realistic..... but for bombur rolling and rambo with barrel on him is just cartoon type of realism.....

Now to mention the Orcs assaulting Lake town and amazing thought of dwarfs and Bilbo to put liquid gold on Dragon..... oh and Smaug killed thousands of dwarfs yet he could not catch any in the movie.... so fearful :P

Back on topic - they should have called the Erebor set "Smaug + parts pack" cause that's what it looks like to me.

Thats what it is indeed :)

I tought the smaug scene was fantastic, What did you want then? Oh no my trophy is stolen now let's burn the mountainside and directly fly to a wooden city and also burn that down JUST BECAUSE! :laugh_hard:

Wouldn't that be boring hmm...?

Edited by kevkipo

I tought the smaug scene was fantastic, What did you want then? Oh no my trophy is stolen now let's burn the mountainside and directly fly to a wooden city and also burn that down JUST BECAUSE! :laugh_hard:

I liked Smaug but can understand why many fans felt it lacked suspense. Smaug, an ancient dragon experienced in combat and eradicator of a hauled-up dwarven army, failed to even injure a single dwarf. Understandably, the movie makers had to stay true to the book, so their task was not enviably. The dragon's ineptitude was exacerbated by downright stupidity: failing to use his fire when Thorin fell down a shaft, not reacting to Thorin standing on his nose (if you ever get a chance to work with lizards, particularly crocodilians, don't try to touch their nose…), playing James-Bond-villain with Bilbo and leaving a bunch of dwarves and a thief amidst the most important thing in his life: his treasure (in the novel, Smaug had to anticipate the dwarves' access was inhibited after causing a tunnel collapse).

Yes, Smaug may have been out of shape, but his entire behaviour was so far off the amazing display of his prowess when he entered Erebor. I remember watching the first movie with a friend who hadn't read the Hobbit. His reaction: "How on Earth will these dwarves deal with Smaug?" After the second movie, one could expect that Smaug will be outsmarted and torn apart by three eagles. And I don't think anybody could argue the dragon played cat and mice with dwarves. Once he was enraged, he obviously tried to eradicate the bunch of bearded companions.

So to answer your question, kevkipo, I personally wished Smaug could have kept his initially established aura of an almighty, indestructible foe that strikes terror in the heart of everybody.

Agreed! If not the molten Gold thing how would the dwarves be able to try to bring him down. A sword hit from one of them would be like being tapped to smaug. I liked how they got a one up on him. They used his vanity and love of treasure against him. I also like how the dwarves get to have some sort of confrontation with him as the whole first and second movies had been building towards the dwarves "Reclaiming their homeland" if Bilbo just picks up a cup and smaug flies off practically giving the mountain to the dwarves. Then all that character development and hatred towards smaug and legacy just becomes nought. I liked how they took the basic story outline and gave it more purpose and thickened the characters a bit more. The action sequences were to spice up the film and when I saw them in IMAX 3D I was blown away! Edited by legofreak86

So to answer your question, kevkipo, I personally wished Smaug could have kept his initially established aura of an almighty, indestructible foe that strikes terror in the heart of everybody.

I can really understand that point, i too found it a bit weird he couldn't at least injure a dwarf. He is aged yes and has sleeped for quite a while that's my only answer to it :grin:

I also like how the dwarves get to have some sort of confrontation with him as the whole first and second movies had been building towards the dwarves "Reclaiming their homeland" if Bilbo just picks up a cup and smaug flies off practically giving the mountain to the dwarves. Then all that character development and hatred towards smaug and legacy just becomes nought. I liked how they took the basic story outline and gave it more purpose and thickened the characters a bit more. The action sequences were to spice up the film and when I saw them in IMAX 3D I was blown away!

Exactly that! i could not say that better! :laugh:

Edited by kevkipo

I can really understand that point, i too found it a bit weird he couldn't at least injure a dwarf. He is aged yes and has sleeped for quite a while that's my only answer to it :grin:

Didn't Thorin call him a 'slug'? That seemed very fitting. :) I'm certain he'll look more formidable when laying waste to Lake-town. In hindsight, and with legofreak's thoughts in mind, I think leaving four dwarves there has also been done to add more direct confrontation between Smaug & Dwarves. I wonder if we'll get Oin or Bofur in the new Lake-town set - ideally with upgraded armour, too.

I wonder if we'll get Oin or Bofur in the new Lake-town set - ideally with upgraded armour, too.

I hope not :grin: We expect this set to include four minifigs, one of which is confirmed (Bain) and another half-confirmed (since Bard is more likely to appear here instead of 79017). The two remaining should be either Tauriel, Legolas, Bolg or Alfrid (I'd prefer the latter two) instead of an updated dwarf; we already have plenty of those :tongue:

To me Smaug came off as a bad dragon and as such made Whole Erebor and Dale look incompetent.... he could not kill a single dwarf when there were supposedly been 13 of them there yet he obliterated thousands of dwarf warriors and dale soldiers?????? How can I buy that....

I would much rather it was kept true to the book and be a conversation and the storming of the secret passage + his anger for Lake Town and ''barrel riders'' would keep the Smaug intact in terms of awesomness... how can i call him awesome if a hobbit and a few dwarfs can joke with him and he cannot kill them....

The molten gold was just sad attempt and made dwarves look even dumber really....

the whole second film was a huge let down in terms of staying true to the book, worst 2 things apart from Smaug sequance (and dont get me wrong Smaug sequance was amazing up until the end of Bilbos conversation with him.... I liked that) and then there was Bombur rambo in barrel catastrophy, and Lake town orc invasion with Bolg..... so untrue and illogical.

Not to mention the addition of Legolas..... but while I can atleast close my eyes and live through that (like 13 characters and Gandalf + other cast needs Legolas again.... i simply cannot forgive such crazy effort to add more action in a movie, and make it as bad as it is done.

I have no idea what is supposed to Happen in the third part: dragon burns city, dragon is killed, the end. How can this make a whole movie? Dont tell me.

Back on topic: I Wonder about smaugs wings. Will they wrinkle when used too often? Will the plastic lighten up where bent?

These wings will be impossible to paint on because of their flexibility. Hmm, maybe if colored fabric could be glued over?

I was thinking about the new upcoming set "The Lonely Mountain" and on a second thought its not so bad. Its little bit pricey, yes, 130 dollars is not good price for 860 pcs and 5 figs + creature, but...

Smaug is really good molded dragon, flexible, and not as childish as many critics says. I actually love him as he is. Maybe the colour could be darker, but we will see after the set will be released.

Bilbo is really nice even without mithril vest. The rest of the figures are quite oka, altough I prefere other dwarves (still miss Oin a Gloin).

The structure itself is full of prefab rocks but it is quite nice design idea, so it could be really easily moded and expanded. I already have plans how to expand the throne section so therefore it will be more accurate to the movie, and also the mining section. Its really easy to make it bigger with more tunnels and chambers.

But its true that it will hurts nobody if TLC put some golden bars and coin in the set, there is nothing like that even that those pearl gold bricks are nice.

So I am looking forvard to dale and lake town set.

I have no idea what is supposed to Happen in the third part: dragon burns city, dragon is killed, the end. How can this make a whole movie? Dont tell me.

Look at the title of the film. That's all I'll say :grin:

Since the discussion about the price tag of 79018 is still ongoing, consider this: take a look at 75055 Star Destroyer, also a 130$ set that got released this year. It includes 6 minifigures, none of which are entirely new and two of those are even identical (so it's five unique ones). The set contains two new moulds (Imperial Officer hat + Palpatine hologram) and 1359 parts, whereas 79018 has at least seven new moulds which are all immensely bigger than the ones just mentioned, but 500 parts less overall. Does 79018 really feel less substantial than 75055 when keeping this in mind? I don't think so :wink: A lot of people compare the set to 9474, but it's the same thing here: It may contain 8 minifigs, but 3 of those are (almost identical) Uruk-hai and two are repeats of minifigs that can be found in other, cheaper sets and no new moulds appear in that set at all (Theoden's helmet is the same mould as Eomer's).

To me Smaug came off as a bad dragon and as such made Whole Erebor and Dale look incompetent.... he could not kill a single dwarf when there were supposedly been 13 of them there yet he obliterated thousands of dwarf warriors and dale soldiers?????? How can I buy that....

I would much rather it was kept true to the book and be a conversation and the storming of the secret passage + his anger for Lake Town and ''barrel riders'' would keep the Smaug intact in terms of awesomness... how can i call him awesome if a hobbit and a few dwarfs can joke with him and he cannot kill them....

The molten gold was just sad attempt and made dwarves look even dumber really....

the whole second film was a huge let down in terms of staying true to the book, worst 2 things apart from Smaug sequance (and dont get me wrong Smaug sequance was amazing up until the end of Bilbos conversation with him.... I liked that) and then there was Bombur rambo in barrel catastrophy, and Lake town orc invasion with Bolg..... so untrue and illogical.

Not to mention the addition of Legolas..... but while I can atleast close my eyes and live through that (like 13 characters and Gandalf + other cast needs Legolas again.... i simply cannot forgive such crazy effort to add more action in a movie, and make it as bad as it is done.

The movie reminded me a great deal of Indiana jones and the crystal kingdom. Seemed like a well produced amusement park ride you would find at universal.

While I was not completely bothered by the deviations from the book, the actions sequences seemed dumbed down and often times made no sense at all.

I for one enjoyed the cartoon-y-ness of the action sequences. I love the dwarves' perfectly coordinated attacks and the elves being just as impossible. I don't really understand what's wrong with fantasy in a fantasy movie, really. Yeah, the molten gold thing was a bit weird, but legofreak86 has a point...

Agreed! If not the molten Gold thing how would the dwarves be able to try to bring him down. A sword hit from one of them would be like being tapped to smaug. I liked how they got a one up on him. They used his vanity and love of treasure against him. I also

I guess they could have hit him with one of the giant swinging hammers from the first movie, but you have to admit...the golden smaug was spectacular.

They could have also tried the water attack. I mean, they sort of did, but as an end goal, not leading up to the moted gold.

Since the discussion about the price tag of 79018 is still ongoing, consider this: take a look at 75055 Star Destroyer, also a 130$ set that got released this year. It includes 6 minifigures, none of which are entirely new and two of those are even identical (so it's five unique ones). The set contains two new moulds (Imperial Officer hat + Palpatine hologram) and 1359 parts, whereas 79018 has at least seven new moulds which are all immensely bigger than the ones just mentioned, but 500 parts less overall. Does 79018 really feel less substantial than 75055 when keeping this In mind? I don't think so :wink: A lot of people compare the set to 9474, but it's the same thing here: It may contain 8 minifigs, but 3 of those are (almost identical) Uruk-hai and two are repeats of minifigs that can be found in other, cheaper sets and no new moulds appear in that set at all (Theoden's helmet is the same mould as Eomer's).

THANK YOU! This is something I had just figured out before coming to read this thread, but it still is just really...good.

And back to Smaug, I never really realized that he didn't do a good job attacking the dwarves...but he did take out the dwarven armies in swarms and groups, so maybe fourtee-wait, no, ten little creatures running around the huge caverns were a lot harder to nab...

And he'd been sleeping for a while...okay, maybe several weeks. He was probably still drowsy, and the gold thing woke him up. Or maybe the huge water attack before the gold thing...

I Wonder about smaugs wings. Will they wrinkle when used to often? Will the plastic lighten up where bent?

Ooh, I hope not. D=

Edited by Hypernova888

Are there any lego parts that have worked like Smaugs wings before? With the elasticity and everything?

Nope. Its a new mold

I for one enjoyed the cartoon-y-ness of the action sequences. I love the dwarves' perfectly coordinated attacks and the elves being just as impossible. I don't really understand what's wrong with fantasy in a fantasy movie, really. Yeah, the molten gold thing was a bit weird, but legofreak86 has a point...

I guess they could have hit him with one of the giant swinging hammers from the first movie, but you have to admit...the golden smaug was spectacular.

They could have also tried the water attack. I mean, they sort of did, but as an end goal, not leading up to the moted gold.

THANK YOU! This is something I had just figured out before coming to read this thread, but it still is just really...good.

And back to Smaug, I never really realized that he didn't do a good job attacking the dwarves...but he did take out the dwarven armies in swarms and groups, so maybe fourtee-wait, no, ten little creatures running around the huge caverns were a lot harder to nab...

And he'd been sleeping for a while...okay, maybe several weeks. He was probably still drowsy, and the gold thing woke him up. Or maybe the huge water attack before the gold thing...

Ooh, I hope not. D=

I STRONGLY AGREE with the bit about fantasy. Its supposed to look fantastical its fiction and its set in a fantasy world. I like how middle earth looks like fantasy in the hobbit films. The Majestic and huge erebor, the almost frozen in mid winter laketown, the green glow and eerie discoloured look of dol guldur, the elegance of the woodland realm, the psychedelic and hallucinatory atmosphere of mirkwood forest! Perfect! Almost exactly how I imagined it when I read the book. This is a personal preference but I prefer the look of the hobbit movies to the LOTR movies. Somethings in the LOTR movies like minas morgul, mordor and isengard are fantastical in their design but I found the look of that middle earth to be rather grounded a bit too realistic, the dull greens, the worn stone castles just seemed less legendary and more historical. That's my take. Apologies to the moderator for going off topic to movie based discussion.

On topic smaug's lair has grown on me somewhat. Oh and by the way I'm going to LEGOLAND Windsor tomorrow and I heard the goblin king battle and another hobbit set had been discontinued and wondered if theres a chance it could be in the last chance marketplace area as when I went in 2012 I saw some 2011 stuff there. Its just I do not yet have all the dwarves and wondered if that might give me an opportunity to fill some holes in my collection. Thanks :)