ScotNick

The Lego Movie - rebuild town?

I just watched the trailer of The Lego Movie and realized some interesting building techniques and details.

I'll show you some pictures:

legomovieopeningw.jpg

Here you can see the garbage truck from set 70805 and multiple 10185 Green Grocers. I think the Chinese style house in the front looks interesting too.

legomoviecafew.jpg

Here it's nice to see that they used cheerleader balls ( sorry if this term is wrong :classic: ) as small bushes as I did already a year ago for my Maithwaite station:

maithwaiteplatformzooms.jpg

I wonder where they got the idea from :sweet::wink:

legomoviecafe2w.jpg

Here I like the way they made the coffee machines and the cup pile. Also the plant on the left is well designed.

legomoviecity3.jpg

What seems interesting as well is that there is a monorail. Any connection to the "Mystery of the Monorail" advert of the Palace theater?

But it's more interesting that they based the design of the monorail off the tram they made for 8404 as you can see in the next picture at the top left, lazy designers :sweet: ???

legomoviecityw.jpg

Here a view at the monorail station.

legomoviecity4w.jpg

And at last a design for a house:

legomoviecity5w.jpg

I think it will be interesting to see the movie, and some will probably design some creations based off some of the buildings from here :sweet: .

At least I think it will be interesting to see the whole movie and rebuild some buildings/cars .....

Please post it if you find other interesting stuff too, and let me know what do you think!

Edited by ScotNick

This film is looking fantastic and the level of detail they have gone too is outstanding , I have been lamenting about building a coffee shop for years and their take on it is sublime , I agree that after the movie we are all gonna be rebuilding and scratting through bricks to rebuild it build based on what we have seen

This film is looking fantastic and the level of detail they have gone too is outstanding , I have been lamenting about building a coffee shop for years and their take on it is sublime , I agree that after the movie we are all gonna be rebuilding and scratting through bricks to rebuild it build based on what we have seen

I'm not sure the discussion would be in the wrong place, but it's actually not happy to see that some potential buildings in the trailers weren't made to be actual sets in The Movie or City theme. Well, the 2-in-1 vehicles do have unique features, but it's more like that TLC tends to sell veheicles as they usually did.

Though I have my doubts about this Movie, I think the artdirection is really great, as seen in these screenshots... Beautiful Lego-realism. Or should I say Lego-surrealism... Thanks for the effort putting them up.

Funny, but I didn't think of analysing the footage for buildingtechniques. You've made some good points and you're right about all the cool things they've 'build' for the movie. I think those small schrubberies(?) are called pompoms, when in the hands of cheerleaders...

As for the monorail... The designers weren't lazy. I think the movie relies highly on recognizabillity. I think they deliberatly wanted the viewers to think: 'hey, I have that tram, or any other vehicle/build we recognise'. I think that this is a very important part of the movie. The recognisabillity reminds me of the Toys in Pixars' Toystory.

That said... Have you recognised other 'modern' Legosets?

Edited by B Rick

I see the '09 City mail van in the first picture as well! About time we had a new one.

This movie is going to be great. The level of detail is amazing and I see a lot of NPU's. This is what I love about Lego, they aren't lazy and will stop at nothing to make this movie the best it can be. I can't wait to see this :wub:

I'm not sure the discussion would be in the wrong place, but it's actually not happy to see that some potential buildings in the trailers weren't made to be actual sets in The Movie or City theme. Well, the 2-in-1 vehicles do have unique features, but it's more like that TLC tends to sell veheicles as they usually did.

Look at the movie as TLG might, as the ultimate ad for Legos. In which they feature some of the past as well as some of the future.

Plus the movie is about targeting not just those who,already buy Legos but more importantly all those who do not. So when we see builds we have seen before I don't think the designers are being lazy, they are just putting it in there for a reason.

Look at the movie as TLG might, as the ultimate ad for Legos. In which they feature some of the past as well as some of the future.

Plus the movie is about targeting not just those who,already buy Legos but more importantly all those who do not. So when we see builds we have seen before I don't think the designers are being lazy, they are just putting it in there for a reason.

At least there is Sea Cow, and the convertible vehicles do show the essence of this movie. After all, the movie is all about actions and wars, not the city, though I hope there could be a representive buidling.

Edited by Dorayaki

One of the destinations on the street sign is "Heartlake City"

A nice lille feature :classic: The sign also shows the direction to Paradisa, the predecessor to Friends, and to Century Skyway airport. The other directions shown are to Busy Express Way, Midtown and City Center. I guess Midtown refers to the good, old Town :cry_happy: , and City Center to its newer version City. The Busy Expressway I have no idea about. Anybody?

I agree that after the movie we are all gonna be rebuilding and scratting through bricks to rebuild it build based on what we have seen

Sounds like a good theme for a contest :look::classic:

5th pic down, right side of pic, left poster of President Business: Don't Touch MY Stuff :laugh: