Werlu Ulcur

Legoville

I finally have my Lego city! :laugh:

Last year we started building a new and bigger house, and after the second pavement and the roof went up, I went up there and saw that the roof would be about 2 m high from the floor (the ceiling of the second pavement). And that started me thinking :devil:. I asked the engineer if I could make use of the space and he said "Sure, no problem". Then I went to the biggest obstacle to overcome: the wife :look:. But after some sweet talking and a full week of the most excellent behavior on my part, she oked the attic idea :wub:. I was going to have a Lego room in my new house :grin:!

This is how it all started:

atico01.jpg

atico02.jpg

I had the roof thermally insulated, so that I wouldn't roast up there in the hot summer.

atico03.jpg

atico04.jpg

atico05.jpg

The house didn't have an attic in the initial plans, so I had to have a window opened for light and air circulation.

atico06.jpg

atico07.jpg

atico08.jpg

atico09.jpg

I wouldn't be able to use the whole roof, so a drywall was used on the sides to close out the really "shallow" parts.

atico10.jpg

atico11.jpg

The initial "access hatch" to the roof was just that, so I had installed one of those folding attic stairs on the ceiling of the second pavement.

atico12.jpg

atico13.jpg

We moved in the new house in the beginning of October, but I still had to have the tables and doors/closets made. By late November everything was done and I was ready to start building :classic:.

By the end of November the furniture was finally done and installed:

Legoville_2013-11-27_02.jpg

I had a small desk in one corner where I can do the small builds and other hobby stuff, with a wheeled chair that I can zip around the room :tongue:.

Legoville_2013-11-27_04.jpg

I had some short tables made, so that I could reach all the city, and also so that my kids can help me out with the builds. Last week I started the actual building, of course with the railroad. I was going to lay tracks all over the table, but I saw that that would severely limit the space for buildings, so I decided to only have track on the south side of town. The north side would have basically all the houses, buildings and streets, with just a passenger terminal in one part.

Looks like an awesome Lego/Man-cave 'Werlu Ulcur'......now you need to fill it with Lego. :grin:

Brick On ! :grin:

Thanks man! I'm working on it, but i already have an issue: I need bucket loads more of light grey and (specially) bley tiles for sidewalks :sceptic:.

BL will bankrupt my city...

Edited by Werlu Ulcur

I think this could be called 'living the dream'! :classic:

Thanks buddy! It sure is VERY nice to finally have a dedicated space to assemble all my (City) sets. I'm delighted to see things coming up :classic:.

This looks wonderful! Congratulations on a home for your collection!

Thank you, Legogal! It was a BIG (and expensive :look:!) step for us, but it was worth it!

Legoville_2013-12-01_1.jpg

I got a desk in a corner that will be my "head office" for small builds and other hobby stuff, and a wheeled chair so that I can zip around in the room :laugh:.

As with any Lego city, I started out with modulars, first the Palace Cinema and then the Town Hall. After both were done, I had to basically tear down both ground floors because I changed my mind about the sidewalk. If I left them as they were, I would have a very wide (and useless) sidewalk, so I advanced six studs over the road plate's sidewalk. That way I'll have a six stud wide sidewalk all over the city.

Legoville_2013-12-01_2.jpg

Legoville_2013-12-02_1.jpg

Legoville_2013-12-07_1.jpg

The next modular to go up was the Fire Station. I bought all the sets during the year and kept them stored until now, so it's been super fun to finally seeing them "in the brick". This year I'm done with modulars, but next year I have to get at least one more and of course the future Parisian Restaurant. I also made a small park, with parts that I had in my spare parts bin.

Legoville_2013-12-07_2.jpg

As you can see, I desperately need more bley and light grey tiles for the sidewalks...

Legoville_2013-12-07_3.jpg

I would like to have a bigger railroad, but as I said earlier, it would consume too much real estate that I need for buildings, so I had to limit tracks to the south side of town. I still have to assemble my Emerald Night and Maersk cargo train, that will really crowd up the yard :sceptic:.

looking good, now buy more modulars xD!! just kidding, i wish i had this much room xD but then again i still live with my parents -,- but as a student why should i live on my own this soon :D

Edited by Stefano

Wow, that's an awesome space you there, you've done well! And those tables look great. They really put my not so level home made shelves to shame :grin: And your town is really coming together nicely!

I look forward to further updates, happy building :laugh:

That is an amazing space you have there. What a great use of your attic! It would have been a shame to waste all of that space. :thumbup:

That's a super space you've got to build in! Congratulations and I can't wait to see how this city builds up over time.

Two thumbs up!

Whoa, if only I had the space for that! Good job on the transformation, and great city, you did a good job of avoiding the blocky look most cities get and made it all look organised and structured.

Nice job so far. Do you need to condition the space? Here in the states, most attics are unused and full of insulation, so to see these (I've seen one of these on Brickset too) conversions is quite novel. Depending on your climate (Brazil?) are you planning either a heater or air conditioning, or both? You can get little heatpump minisplits that install right on the wall for minimal effore for both heat and air.

Your English is pretty good, but the word "pavement" is not what we think of... Not sure what you mean there. Flooring?

Keep up the building!

Thanks everyone :classic:! It would be a totally wasted space. To the right of the desk, through that little door, is where the "appliances" stuff are - water heater, solar panel controls, sat dish box, etc. All the vertical (drywall) panels, as the slanted roof, are insulated, so it's not exactly fresh & cool now in the summer but it's far from hot. In the winter it will be pretty warm, as long as I keep the window shut. And sorry, by pavement I mean floors :blush: - though English was almost my first language sometimes the wrong word slips through.

Last night I got a Creator house up, and here's how Legoville is looking like at the moment:

Legoville_2013-12-08_1.jpg

Legoville_2013-12-08_2.jpg

Legoville_2013-12-08_3.jpg

The next thing to do is to expand and make the (modern) fire station better. The stock set can't accommodate my moded fire engines or the MOC I created (still haven't assembled it yet), so it has to be improved ASAP. My boy is bugging me to start building the Haunted House, that I plan on putting in the south side, in the middle of the train yard. If all goes well, I want to make that part of town kind of " abandoned", so Monster Fighters sets would go well there, but I'm still trying to figure a way to get more tracks in place. The problem is the radius of the curves, I just don't have enough room to angle them. The original idea was to have a MUCH bigger railroad, but that was before I actually had the actual space to lay the tracks down. So it looks like my railroad won't get much bigger then this :sceptic:.

That's a beautiful room you have there. Now you said this is just for your City sets... are there other rooms with other themes? :laugh:

Looks amazing. Have you got a blind for the window? I have sun-damaged bricks (I can't tell if some are meant to be white or yellow any more), so it's definitely worth investing in something to protect them when you're out the room.

Thanks everyone :thumbup:!

That's a beautiful room you have there. Now you said this is just for your City sets... are there other rooms with other themes? :laugh:

Ha! My wife is really nice to me but not that nice :tongue:. No, my SW, SH, LOTR, etc sets are in cabinets here in the office.

Looks amazing. Have you got a blind for the window? I have sun-damaged bricks (I can't tell if some are meant to be white or yellow any more), so it's definitely worth investing in something to protect them when you're out the room.

No problems with the sun. The window faces south, so with my sister-in-law's house a few meters over and the overhang of my house's roof, that window is protected from the sun. My only concern is dust :look:.

Oh, now that's even nicer......there is Lego on the tables ! :grin:

You need a service station in that layout. :wink:

Anyway, keep on going, keep it growing and Brick On 'Werlu Ulcer' ! :grin:

Edit - Dust......invest in a good duster. :wink: (I have the same problem :blush: )

Edited by lightningtiger

Oh, now that's even nicer......there is Lego on the tables ! :grin:

You need a service station in that layout. :wink:

Anyway, keep on going, keep it growing and Brick On 'Werlu Ulcer' ! :grin:

Ulcur. Building Lego keeps me ulcer-free :wink:.

Service station, police station, public transit station, hospital, at least one more park, construction site, and of course, more sidewalks. The list is long... :laugh:

Really cool , loved the build

Shots if the attic then the town , cool space to brick in . Makes me feel awfully low rent scratting on the lounge floor and building the town in my sons bedroom ,I need to start being nice to the wife it seems ; )

Update:

Legoville_2013-12-10_2.jpg

Legoville_2013-12-10_1.jpg

I detailed a bit the cargo zone of the rail yard. I also MOCed some simple "track stops" (I know there's a proper term for those structures that go on the end of the track to stop the train from derailing but for the life of me I can't remember :sceptic:) - I've honestly seen some much more realistic models, but I wanted them to be tough and sturdy. Since my 6yo will eventually be on the wheel of the trains, I needed something reliable to keep the whole composition from spilling over the town :tongue:. So today there's nothing big to show, just some detailing that IMO makes the city look better.

And I've come to realize two things: right now there's no way at all to expand the railroad, and more importantly, I'm gonna run out of real estate to build pretty soon :cry_sad:. But as I was shifting those road plates around, to make them fit and connect, I had an idea. I could have made three small tables that I would connect to the middle (central) section of the city and one on each extremity, at the southern and northern corners. If I make these tables roughly four road plates wide, I basically will have the space for at least some eight (!!) more buildings.

That sure is something to consider for next year :wink:.

Im jealous....but it makes total sense! I feel all houses I design from now on will have a 'Lego Room' in the accomodation schedule

Congratulations, you have managed to make me really jealous :tongue: Your man Cave looks brilliant, i'm looking forward to seeing the progress of Your city.